PDA

View Full Version : We should re-sign Winfield this year

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-13-2003, 12:31 PM
It looks like the asking price for top CB's are rising. It's up to 3-4 million a year right now. We should re-sign him this year and get the best deal we can on him. I would hate to see him get away from us. Him and Clements can become a great team.

Hey Clump, could we afford a contract extension for Winfield this year, and where would it put us cap wise?

LtBillsFan66
03-13-2003, 12:33 PM
http://www.nycbbb.com/images/winfieldGBAP003.jpg

That's my way of saying YES!!!!!!!!!!

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-13-2003, 12:37 PM
:up:

That's an awesome picture :D

ct bills fan
03-13-2003, 01:11 PM
If he's willing to - he may not be.

Shiny Chicken
03-13-2003, 01:13 PM
My impresion has always been that Winfield really likes it here and he likes his situation here. Idon't see him wanting to leave. I think if TD gave him a decent offer right now, he'd probably take it... and probably take less to play here rather than more somewhere else. He does deserve a good offer though. He is very good.

Patrick76777
03-13-2003, 01:16 PM
I disagree. Why waste extra money this year if we don’t need it! Let’s use that money to get better for this season. Then next year we’ll worry about resigning him. If we dump an extra 2 mil from this years cap into Winfield, it’s 2 mil less to spend on some defensive help.

Shiny Chicken
03-13-2003, 01:20 PM
true

justasportsfan
03-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I disagree. Why waste extra money this year if we don’t need it! Let’s use that money to get better for this season. Then next year we’ll worry about resigning him. If we dump an extra 2 mil from this years cap into Winfield, it’s 2 mil less to spend on some defensive help.

I agree. Get what we can this year and try to win it all and worry about next year later. Like I've stated before , we need to win now. The bucs and Pats beat us to the SB and we've been there more times than they did. We actually have a legitimate shot. If the Pats can go from 5-11 to SB champs, why can't we with all the talent we have now.

Fatwhite02
03-13-2003, 01:25 PM
But isn't Winfield defensive help?? Sign him as soon as possible.

ct bills fan
03-13-2003, 01:26 PM
In his column in Shout, Winfield always seems to come across as Luke warm about Buffalo. That's the impression he gives me anyway. I think the guy is great, but, I'm not sold on him loving this area.

Patrick76777
03-13-2003, 01:28 PM
But we already have him for this year. He’s under contract. He’s already helping our defense.

SoCalBillsFan
03-13-2003, 01:29 PM
LOCK HIM UP!

I understand the "get what we can now" stuff too, but by letting him walk next year we could lose him, and then next offseason we will wish we had singed him to an extension. Good CBs are essential to a good defense. Teams need to hold onto their good players, this is a perfect example.

Also, the extension doesn't have to be much more of a cap hit this year. You could structure it sothat his deal for this year isn't much different, but that in future years it goes up. Best of both worlds I think.

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Offer him a 5yr-18 million dollar contract, with a 5 million dollar bonus and he'd probably jump on it right now.

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 01:40 PM
i am gonna go out on a limb and say that he actually doesnt like it here.. but that may change once we make the playoffs this year. if we win the sb.. he is gone.

BillsNYC
03-13-2003, 02:29 PM
I was at the Patriot/Bills game at the Ralph 2 years ago when Winfield laid Brady out. Just so happens I was sitting behind the Winfield family (like 20 of them!). Winfield made some great hit and the whole family went nuts and stood up. Except for one older man who said "Yeah, now they should start paying him REAL money"

Bert102176
03-13-2003, 03:22 PM
I just hope TD realizes we need Winfield and we don't lose him cause I have a feeling we will, and I hope not cause he is great.

XNOUGHT
03-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
I was at the Patriot/Bills game at the Ralph 2 years ago when Winfield laid Brady out. Just so happens I was sitting behind the Winfield family (like 20 of them!). Winfield made some great hit and the whole family went nuts and stood up. Except for one older man who said "Yeah, now they should start paying him REAL money"

And then Brady got up as if nothing happened :nana: :D

justasportsfan
03-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT

And then Brady got up as if nothing happened :nana: :D

Not really! He was walking like a drunk for a few seconds. He never scrambled Winfields side again, even last year.

BillsNYC
03-13-2003, 03:45 PM
i was in the 5th row behind the player bench for that hit....it was LOUD!!!

Cntrygal
03-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
http://www.nycbbb.com/images/winfieldGBAP003.jpg

I was amazed he hung onto the ball!

casdhf
03-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Antoine, being a legal midget, has the advantage that other players can't see him coming. That's why he's always laying people out.

The_Philster
03-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC

Which game was that? I remember Nate doing that. :scratch: