PDA

View Full Version : Bills were wise to avoid filling needs in picks

Don't Panic
05-06-2007, 08:51 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/213/story/69551.html

• Ron Wolf, the former personnel guru for the Raiders, Jets and Packers, used to say it’s not a bad idea to take a quarterback in the draft almost every year. Recent history has proved that to be true. There’s a long list of young backup QBs who have been turned into prime draft picks via trade, including Rob Johnson (Jacksonville to Buffalo), Drew Henson (Houston to Dallas) and Matt Schaub (Atlanta to Houston). If either J.P. Losman or Craig Nall goes south in the next two years, Edwards gives the Bills a talented alternative. If both of them play well, then the Bills could parlay Edwards into something useful. Then there’s the injury factor. Philadelphia, Seattle and Kansas City all made the playoffs last year with help from backup quarterbacks who played due to injury. Offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild should make sure Edwards gets some quality repetitions with firststringers in the preseason in the next two summers. Young QBs who show some flashes have marketability.
• Marshawn Lynch should pose some big matchup problems for opposing linebackers, both with his ability to break tackles and his receiving ability out of the backfield. The hardrunning Wright sounds like a good complement to him and could help the Bills in short-yardage and goal-line situations.
• With Marv Levy, Dick Jauron and Bobby April in the football department, it’s no surprise the Bills continue to show commitment to special teams. Safety John Wendling injects some new athleticism to the coverage units. New signee Josh Scobee, a running back from Seattle, is an ace bomb squadder. The Bills had to take a safety on the second day because Jim Leonhard was the only backup safety on the roster.

HHURRICANE
05-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Nice article but when Wire suits up as a starter in week 3 you'll be wishing for the extra LB instead of Edwards.

YardRat
05-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice article but when Wire suits up as a starter in week 3 you'll be wishing for the extra LB instead of Edwards.

I may be wishing for the extra LB instead of YaHoo, but not Edwards.

Dr. Lecter
05-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Name the LB available in the 3rd round that you KNOW would be ahead of Stamer, Haggan, Wire and DiGrigorio.

ParanoidAndroid
05-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Crowell -Posluszny-Ellison

Why does Wire start?

Devin
05-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Ellison I think is going to be an average to good LB no need to panic just yet.

I wouldnt be shocked to see Wendling develop into a solid weakside guy either. Hed make a great cover 2 LB imo.

Romes
05-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Ellison I think is going to be an average to good LB no need to panic just yet.

I wouldnt be shocked to see Wendling develop into a solid weakside guy either. Hed make a great cover 2 LB imo.

Good point. I agree about Ellison and Wendling could very well be the 2nd LB the Bills drafted last weekend. Ellison and Wendling are about the same size.

Ellison 6'0'' 229 lbs
Wendling 6'1'' 222 lbs

I am more concerned about the Bills lack of depth at CB. Seems to me like they need not just one but a few players to step up, ie. Youboty, Mcgee (needs to improve, I think the biggest reason the Bills lost to Detroit). i almost feel that the bills need an UDFA (Coleman or Lewis) to suprise for the CB position to be decent. I would have like the Bills to draft Hughes instead of Edwards.

jamze132
05-06-2007, 02:08 PM
I think our offense ans special teams will be better this year. I am hesitant to give the defense the benefit of the doubt just yet though. I would say the biggest loss on defense was Clements and McGee and Youboty really need to step up there game so we don't have to have safety help over the top in every passing situation.