PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote from Peter King

RockStar36
05-07-2007, 01:53 AM
7. I think they might as well go ahead and inscribe the Offensive Rookie trophy with Marshawn Lynch's name already. With a run-blocking offensive line coach in Jim McNally, two very high-priced line free agents in the fold (Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker) after being trained in run-blocking in their previous places, and the likelihood that Lynch will get 300 carries if he stays healthy ... I mean, unless Calvin Johnson catches 80 balls or some Hofstra receiver comes out of nowhere again, Lynch should win it in a walk.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/05/06/mmqb/4.html

clumping platelets
05-07-2007, 02:19 AM
:movie:

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Yeah I mean Adrian Peterson will just take the season off, not to mention the Bills play in a tough division and have the "hardest schedule" in the league. And they had nearly the worst rushing attack in the league last year. But Dockery ,Walker and Lynch are all a team needs to have the rookie of the year....Sure!

two very high-priced line free agents in the fold (Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker)

Gosh all you have to do is overpay for help and it's a guarantee you'll have the best in the business?? I think Peter Piper needs to get a clue.

jamze132
05-07-2007, 03:05 AM
Yeah I mean Adrian Peterson will just take the season off, not to mention the Bills play in a tough division and have the "hardest schedule" in the league.
There you go again bashing everything positive about the Bills. Nice work being a hipocrate. You sit there and say that you can talk Bills football and won;t trash the Bills until someone trashes you or the Dolphins but you just lied, again.

Of course no one knows how Lynch and Peterson will pan out but the thread was a quote from Peter King and who he thinks will be the RoY. Thanks for your two cents.

evol4276
05-07-2007, 03:13 AM
king is still a dick

YardRat
05-07-2007, 03:18 AM
I'd rather that douche not say anything nice about the Bills. He can go f himself.

Night Train
05-07-2007, 05:52 AM
Lynch will never win Rookie Of The Year. He was a "Reach" at #12, according to many self proclaimed Draft "Experts".

Just hand it to Brady Quinn and worship the media hype machine.

The Spaz
05-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Lynch is gong to be really good. Let's see what Ginn does, if he actually sees the field FTP...

Mitchy moo
05-07-2007, 07:03 AM
We spend like ~$100 M on the line, I sure the heck hope Lynch does well behind it.

madness
05-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah I mean Adrian Peterson will just take the season off.

People seriously need to get off AP's dick. The only way he's going to win ROY is if Chester Taylor goes down for the season. Taylor was a beast last year and will continue to be a focal point in the Vikings offense. AP is last year's A-Train at most.

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah I mean Adrian Peterson will just take the season off, not to mention the Bills play in a tough division and have the "hardest schedule" in the league. And they had nearly the worst rushing attack in the league last year. But Dockery ,Walker and Lynch are all a team needs to have the rookie of the year....Sure!

Gosh all you have to do is overpay for help and it's a guarantee you'll have the best in the business?? I think Peter Piper needs to get a clue.
Lynch >>>>>>>>>> Peterson

Devin
05-07-2007, 08:23 AM

I think the largest reason people have been saying this is mainly the thought that Peterson will be splitting time with Taylor. Not so much a question of talent as it is stats.

EDS
05-07-2007, 08:25 AM
People seriously need to get off AP's dick. The only way he's going to win ROY is if Chester Taylor goes down for the season. Taylor was a beast last year and will continue to be a focal point in the Vikings offense. AP is last year's A-Train at most.

Taylor should continue to get the bulk of the carries for the Vikings but to compare Peterson and his talents to A-Train is crazy.

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Taylor should continue to get the bulk of the carries for the Vikings but to compare Peterson and his talents to A-Train is crazy.
I think he means in number of carries.

And honestly, Peterson can only hope his rookie year goes as well as Thomas' rookie year went.

YoungMoney
to compare Peterson and his talents to A-Train is crazy.they got the same #, close enough.

madness

I'm not comparing his talent to A-Train. His role will be no larger then A-Train's role last year.

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Shirley Temple is suddenly trying to kiss up to Bills fans, after having dogged us year long? F you Shirley. STFU.

YoungMoney

And honestly, Peterson can only hope his rookie year goes as well as Thomas' rookie year went.
It won't.

madness

Thank you. :up:

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 08:37 AM
It won't.
I agree 100%

Even if Peterson had been on the board at twelve I still would have taken Lynch, he will be the better pro because he is much more dynamic than Peterson.

YoungMoney
05-07-2007, 08:45 AM
The two remind me of the RB's in New Orleans, Lynch has Reggie Bush qualities (speed, elusiveness, receiving ability, etc) and Peterson is one knee injury away from being like Deuce (a straight line runner, with minimal speed) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Marshawn Faulk is better than Adrian (Chris) Brown!

TigerJ
05-07-2007, 09:11 AM
I think the ROY will be Jason Allen. Oops, he was actually with the Dolphins last year. We saw so little of him, I forgot he was in the league last year. My bad.

On a more serious not, a lot will depend on number of carries. As feelthepain pointed out, Buffalo does have a difficult schedule. If Buffalo does get behind in a lot of games early, they may have to depend more on the passing game to catch up at the expense of carries for Lynch. On the other hand, rookie running backs can have more of an opportunity to make a splash in the NFL than players at just about any other position, and AP's far more likely to have to share carries with Chester Taylor, at least early on, than Lynch is liable to have to share with A-train.

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I think the ROY will be Jason Allen. Oops, he was actually with the Dolphins last year. We saw so little of him, I forgot he was in the league last year. My bad.

On a more serious not, a lot will depend on number of carries. As feelthepain pointed out, Buffalo does have a difficult schedule. If Buffalo does get behind in a lot of games early, they may have to depend more on the passing game to catch up at the expense of carries for Lynch. On the other hand, rookie running backs can have more of an opportunity to make a splash in the NFL than players at just about any other position, and AP's far more likely to have to share carries with Chester Taylor, at least early on, than Lynch is liable to have to share with A-train.
The great thing about being behind with Lynch is he can help you come back with his receiving skills.

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I think the largest reason people have been saying this is mainly the thought that Peterson will be splitting time with Taylor. Not so much a question of talent as it is stats.

And I'm not saying Lynch doesn't have the talent to win ROY, but Peter King is making it sound as if Lynch joined the best rushing team in the league. King cleary makes it sound like Lynch could sleep though half the season and still win ROY. We'll just have to wait and see.

patmoran2006
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
While I think that Lynch will definitely be a candidate for ROY, I dont see him winning it. Here is why.

I dont think you're going to see Lynch play quite as much as a rookie as many expect. I think A-Train is going to get plenty of carries this year, and will probably begin the season as the starter. I see a situation similar to NE last year with Maroney, when Lynch starts off as a situational back and slowly starts to get more carries. So for that reason I dont see him winning ROY and the same goes for Peterson.

I think a WR will win ROY as they top ones will have instant impacts with their teams. Though the obvious choice is CJ, the rookie WR who I think is going to have the biggest impact on his team immediately actually isn't even afirst round pick. My pick for offensive ROY this season is Minnesota WR Sidney Rice.

justasportsfan
05-07-2007, 10:35 AM
And I'm not saying Lynch doesn't have the talent to win ROY, but Peter King is making it sound as if Lynch joined the best rushing team in the league. King cleary makes it sound like Lynch could sleep though half the season and still win ROY. We'll just have to wait and see.
Uhhh. Are your feelings hurt that no one picks Ginn to win ROY?

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2007, 11:21 AM
My pick for offensive ROY this season is Minnesota WR Sidney Rice.
You're assuming there's someone throwing him the ball.

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
You're assuming there's someone throwing him the ball.

As are you with the blocking for Lynch. Lynch has the talent, but will the blockung be there week after week? That seems like a big hill to climb to be just giving Lynch ROY.

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
As are you with the blocking for Lynch. Lynch has the talent, but will the blockung be there week after week? That seems like a big hill to climb to be just giving Lynch ROY.
With Peters and Dockery on the left side, at least Lynch has one side to run.

Quick! Who are the Vikings' two QBs right now? What schools are they from?

Romes
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM

Not saying Lynch will be ROY but I think its a pretty safe assumption to say that the left side of the Bills OL will be pretty darn good with peters and dockery.

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I just said that.

Romes
05-07-2007, 11:49 AM
damn! speed kills.

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 11:51 AM
With Peters and Dockery on the left side, at least Lynch has one side to run.

Quick! Who are the Vikings' two QBs right now? What schools are they from?

The Point is there is just a lot for the Bills to overcome for Lynch to have a shot at ROY. It's possible he wins it as there's a chance any player wins it. But in oreder for Lynch to get 300 carries in his first season as Peter King suggested, you're assuming the Bills will be close in every game, cause if you're playing catch-up that will most definately cut the number of carries down. With the loss of so much experience on the Defense and the addition of youth in the last two seasons the Bills will have a toiugh time keeping teams off the scoreboard. Making it tougher to run the ball regualrly. Not to mention the teams you'll be playinbg this year. In your division alone you'll play 4 games against two of the top Defenses in the league, not to mention the rest of the good teams on your schedule.

Tavaris Jackson (Alabama St) and Brooks Bollinger (Wisconsin). Jackson was a second round pick. They believe in him the way Bill fans believe in Losman. Remember the Vikes also passed on Brady Quinn, but you notice they didn't get as much crap for passing on Quinn as the Dolphins. Do you think they have a better QB situation then Miami before the draft?? Also remember we could have Green before camp starts.

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Not saying Lynch will be ROY but I think its a pretty safe assumption to say that the left side of the Bills OL will be pretty darn good with peters and dockery.

That may be, but there's a lot more to consider then just the LT and LG. Your Defense will have a big impact on what your Offense can and will do.

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Tavaris Jackson (Alabama St) and Brooks Bollinger (Wisconsin). Jackson was a second round pick. They believe in him the way Bill fans believe in Losman.
I never said Lynch will win ROY, but it'd be him before Sidney Rice IMO.

And I don't think the Vikes believe in Jackson as much as you think, and he's nothing like Losman. Even the Vikings fans are worried sick about their QB situation.

And you know you had to look it up to answer the question. Don't lie.

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I never said Lynch will win ROY, but it'd be him before Sidney Rice IMO.

And I don't think the Vikes believe in Jackson as much as you think, and he's nothing like Losman. Even the Vikings fans are worried sick about their QB situation.

And you know you had to look it up to answer the question. Don't lie.

Ya know, I realize you're a big Bill fan and you want your team to win and you believe in them, but do you notice whenever you write anything about the Bills, no one is ever better? Seriously, give it a rest. If the Vikes don't have as much faith in Jackson why would they pass on all mighty Quinn?? Or Kolb, Beck, Edwards or Stanton? They were clearly in position to take any of them if they were "concerned" about Jackson. So what exactly makes you believe the Vikes don't have as much faith in Jackson?

bflojohn
05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
When it comes to Offensive Rookie of the Year, I'd say that Robert Meachem stands a pretty good chance playing in the NFL's #1 ranked offense! Sydney Rice has Travaras Jackson! Hmmm, Jackson or Brees? As for Marshawn, he is as viable a candidate as any rookie out of this years' crop. Personally, I think that the Bills will actually be "in" 4out of the first 5 games of this season, and will be able to keep running the ball within a structured game plan. They are simply a better team at this stage IMO!!

Michael82
05-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Shirley Temple is suddenly trying to kiss up to Bills fans, after having dogged us year long? F you Shirley. STFU.
:bf1:

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I think Gonzalez has the best chance, considering who'll be throwing him the ball and the wide open system they use, it's easy to get open in Indy.

HHURRICANE
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM

Our O-line will be very good this year. Enough said. Nobody here, who follows the team, is expecting any less. If you want to question our secondary, etc. that's a different story.

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Our O-line will be very good this year. Enough said. Nobody here, who follows the team, is expecting any less. If you want to question our secondary, etc. that's a different story.
Question the secondary all you want. Fact is we are running a Tampa 2 which is flat out Zone Defense, no need for super stars.

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 03:48 PM

Ok put down the homer juice and explain how you "KNOW" your Oline will be very good this year. Did you buy a crystal ball this offseason?? I would think you'd say something like "I think the Oline could be very good" or "I hope the Oline will be very good this year", but to say you "KNOW" the Oline will be very good is nothing more then wishful thinking, cause you really don't know what will happen.

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok put down the homer juice and explain how you "KNOW" your Oline will be very good this year. Did you buy a crystal ball this offseason?? I would think you'd say something like "I think the Oline could be very good" or "I hope the Oline will be very good this year", but to say you "KNOW" the Oline will be very good is nothing more then wishful thinking, cause you really don't know what will happen.
0-2

patmoran2006
05-07-2007, 03:55 PM

I would say that the OL is FAr from a lock from being very good.

The Left-Side, I agree. Peters and Dockery is going to be real solid. But that's only 40% of the OL.

We dont even know who's playing right guard right now; and the combo of Whittle/Preston/Butler is ANYTHING but a lock to be "very good" and I Dont even have to remind anybody about how bad the Oakland line was last year, with Langston Walker (10.5 sacks allowed) being a big part of it.

Just as Lee evans doesnt make up for an entire WR corp, Dockery/Peters doesnt make for the whole OL either. If we run every single rush and pass play to the left side I will feel good, but until I see something positive on the right side of the line, I will hold off on calling the entire unit "very good"

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Peters/Dockery/Fowler/Merz/Walker = Great

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2007, 03:58 PM
0-2
:spit: What a comeback.

Bill Brasky
05-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Gosh all you have to do is overpay for help and it's a guarantee you'll have the best in the business??

Kinda like how Phin fans thought the signings of guys like David Boston, Ricky Williams, and Daunte Culpepper would take them to the Super Bowl?

billsburgh
05-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Kinda like how Phin fans thought the signings of guys like David Boston, Ricky Williams, and Daunte Culpepper would take them to the Super Bowl?
you forgot about Joey Harrington

EDS
05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Peters/Dockery/Fowler/Merz/Walker = Great

Looks like you have a different definition of "great" then I do. No doubt the left side of the Bills line looks good but there is a whole lot of unproven talent over on the right side - which makes it a little early to forcast greatness. I like the fact that the Bills at least have a number of different options, but we need to be realistic in that the right side of the line may remain a work in progress at least through the early part of the season.

Illmatic15
05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Adrian Peterson on turf...automatic injury plagued rookie season right there :(..

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 05:45 PM
:spit: What a comeback.

0-DECADE!

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Looks like you have a different definition of "great" then I do. No doubt the left side of the Bills line looks good but there is a whole lot of unproven talent over on the right side - which makes it a little early to forcast greatness. I like the fact that the Bills at least have a number of different options, but we need to be realistic in that the right side of the line may remain a work in progress at least through the early part of the season.
Merz is a diamond in the rough.

feelthepain
05-07-2007, 06:02 PM

Yeah, just like the same experts that think Lynch will win ROY, are the same ones who said Miami could be SB team last year. Obviously the Bills had an advantage, it's what they need to win against Miami and they got it.

EDS
05-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Merz is a diamond in the rough.

I hope you are right, but he is still a question mark given his limited game experience. There is no guarantee he even wins a starting position. Even Walker is a big question mark given how poorly he played at tackle for the Raiders.

I am not saying there isn't any potential there, but we are obviously not dealing with absolutes.

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I hope you are right, but he is still a question mark given his limited game experience. There is no guarantee he even wins a starting position. Even Walker is a big question mark given how poorly he played at tackle for the Raiders.

I am not saying there isn't any potential there, but we are obviously not dealing with absolutes.
I think Merz needs to be given the chance. He was a beast at run blocking in college, I would love to see if it would transfer over to the pros.

MTBillsFan
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM

Maybe Ginn's foot will be healthy enough by the end of the season so he can carry Lynch's jock!

tenplay
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Merz and Walker are also from Cal. They will make it their mission to protect their homeboy Marshawn Lynch. Put Merz and Walker on the right side of the OL and have ML run behind them. The Cal Express! Sounds good to me. :dance:

The Spaz
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
0-DECADE!

Oh that decade , not recently...

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Dolphins fans always live in the past because their future is dark and dim.

feelthepain
05-08-2007, 10:42 AM

You want recent? Miami is still 17 games above 500. against the Bills in head to head matchups.

Earthquake Enyart
05-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Sidney Rice for ROY is the most absurd prediction I've heard in quite a while.

patmoran2006
05-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Sidney Rice for ROY is the most absurd prediction I've heard in quite a while.
I'll bookmark this now and we'll see next Winter. He'll be their #1 WR by week two.

Bert102176
05-10-2007, 07:37 AM
I would like us to take a look at Joe Andruzzi he's a OG and well we could use help there