PDA

View Full Version : Levy balances value with need at draft

Don't Panic
05-07-2007, 06:04 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/bills-draft-valuewithneed070507.html

The most obvious example is first-round pick Marshawn Lynch. He's as strong as he is elusive, a player who can catch passes out of the backfield and change directions as quickly as a character in a Sega Genesis version of Madden. That being said, many pre-draft words were spoken arguing that Lynch wasn't going to be enough of an impact player to justify his high selection. What that analysis ignored is that, for a roster that is bankrupt of running backs, Lynch provides a tremendous value. Taking the best rusher when your current top guy is Anthony Thomas is a much wiser plan than adding a guy at a position at which the Bills were stocked just because some geek draftniks rated the hypothetical other player higher.
The same can be said of second-rounder Paul Posluszny, who will hopefully baffle offensive coordinators in the same way his name baffles spell checkers. It's a case where they not only got a steal of a pick but also lowered the collective blood pressure of Bills fans who noticed the team didn't quite have enough starting linebackers. Filling an immediate need with a guy who became a starter the moment his name was called is much better than it would have been adding a flashy guy at a redundant position: They could have chosen, say, ex-USC receiver Dwayne Jarrett -- who was still unselected -- and the fact that this would have been lunacy wouldn't have stopped the franchise's previous G.M., Tom Donahoe, from opting for the skill player.
For Bills fans, it has to be a different and refreshing change of approach from the way Donahoe handled the draft, namely the way he often grabbed the alleged best player still on the board in lieu of adding someone the Bills could have, you know, used. The epitome of the Donahoe era was taking Willis McGahee; of the several dozen reasons why this was a bad idea, the core problem was that they already had their starting running back in Travis Henry. Choosing McGahee was like buying a second radio for a car that didn't have tires.

Nice compliment to Levy and Co. If McCargo and Youboty produce this year, it will be hard to argue that anyone has been as even (talent + filling needs) as Levy has the past two years with high round draft picks.

YardRat
05-07-2007, 06:08 AM
That's true, but drafting guys who can start is just the beginning....once they're starting they also need to be able to win.

Night Train
05-07-2007, 06:13 AM
TD and his niche picks like Roscoe Parrish and Kevin Everett 3 years back, after seeing Miami's pro day. What a waste of a draft day.

Marv listens to intelligent people around him, instead of playing King Know-It-All. How refreshing.

patmoran2006
05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
This article is total hypocricy..

The writer says and I quote..
"and the fact that this would have been lunacy wouldn't have stopped the franchise's previous G.M., Tom Donahoe, from opting for the skill player."

Really? Well through two drafts, Levy has had a total of 8 picks in rounds 1-4. Guess how many "skilled" (non OL, DL) players Lev has taken among those 8.. How about 7. We've drafted ONE guy for the lines combined among the first four rounds, John McCargo.. That's it.

Horse**** statement. I agree that Levy has done a good job, but dont call him "anti Donahoe" because he's done the exact same thing with the draft; take skill players over OL and DL in the first four rounds both years.

The Spaz
05-07-2007, 11:08 AM
He has adressed the D in both years so far.

OpIv37
05-07-2007, 11:29 AM

"and the fact that this would have been lunacy wouldn't have stopped the franchise's previous G.M., Tom Donahoe, from opting for the skill player."

not to mention the Edwards pick- how does the writer defend that? It was clearly a skill position and it was ignoring several more important positions. If Losman goes down, Edwards isn't going to be any better than Nall, and the next pick was a CB by a team who plays a very similar D to ours. hmmmmm.....

btw, how are you defining "skill" positions? I think you're lumping LB in with the skill positions and this writer isn't. I suppose you could make a case either way.

justasportsfan
05-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Haha! A hypocritical post calling an article hypocritical. I don't think anyone who keeps switching opinions that ends up contrdicting himself over and over again should be calling any post hypocritical.

The jealousy is obvious. Some people wish they actually wrote real articles instead of blogs.

I have to wonder though if the writer covering the bills on that site is a homer. I have yet to read anything negative from realfootball.

Mr. Pink
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Haha! A hypocritical post calling an article hypocritical. I don't think anyone who keeps switching opinions that ends up contrdicting himself over and over again should be calling any post hypocritical.

The jealousy is obvious. Some people wish they actually wrote real articles instead of blogs.

Quick question...Do you feel the need to attack Pat Moran in every thread he posts in? It gets a little old. You hate him, great. I for one, don't care, and am sick of reading your little "rivalry."

I thought there was a reason that whole huge disclaimer was posted. I guess it doesn't apply.

OpIv37
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Quick question...Do you feel the need to attack Pat Moran in every thread he posts in? It gets a little old. You hate him, great. I for one, don't care, and am sick of reading your little "rivalry."

I thought there was a reason that whole huge disclaimer was posted. I guess it doesn't apply.

the disclaimer only applies to people who are critical of the Bills. If you're kissing Levy's ass or attacking people who refuse to kiss Levy's ass, then the disclaimer is not applicable.

patmoran2006
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
not to mention the Edwards pick- how does the writer defend that? It was clearly a skill position and it was ignoring several more important positions. If Losman goes down, Edwards isn't going to be any better than Nall, and the next pick was a CB by a team who plays a very similar D to ours. hmmmmm.....

btw, how are you defining "skill" positions? I think you're lumping LB in with the skill positions and this writer isn't. I suppose you could make a case either way.
Even if you counted LB as a "non skilled" position (in which I do, especially in an atheltic cover two defense) that would still be only 2 of the first 8 picks (25%) as non "skilled" draft picks.

Through 2 years, Levy's draft choices by position from rounds 1-4.
QB- 1 (Edwards)
RB- 2 (Wright, Lynch)
DT- 1 (McCargo)
S- 2 (Simpson, WHitner)
CB- 1 (Youboty)
LB- 1 (Poz)

Now am I saying Levy picked the wrong guys? ABsolutely not. These guys can still all be great players and turn out to be GREAT picks. I was making one point and one point early... Its total bull**** to say Levy is approaching the draft so much differently than Donahoe, because he's picking pretty much all skill players just the same. Hopefully Levy ends up doing a much better job, but the approaches as evidenced have been similar (via the draft)

justasportsfan
05-07-2007, 12:57 PM

quit your crying. I know he's your buddy and all and you're just watching his back but show me where I attacked his every POST.

justasportsfan
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
the disclaimer only applies to people who are critical of the Bills. If you're kissing Levy's ass or attacking people who refuse to kiss Levy's ass, then the disclaimer is not applicable.
Are you implying I attacked Moran? FYI, I've been warned and already am in danger of being banned as I wrtie this. So you are wrong. That however won't stop me from having an opinion about another posters opion . ;)

OpIv37
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Are you implying I attacked Moran? FYI, I've been warned and already am in danger of being banned as I wrtie this. So you are wrong. That however won't stop me from having an opinion about another posters opion . ;)

attacking was probably too strong a word- "being argumentative" or something like that would have been more appropriate.

justasportsfan
05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
attacking was probably too strong a word- "being argumentative" or something like that would have been more appropriate.
have you been warned recently?

OpIv37
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
have you been warned recently?

yep- last week. You?

justasportsfan
05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
yep- last week. You?
2 weeks in a row :up:

Don't Panic
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Remember that the title of the article is "Levy balances value with need at the draft". I think the premise is that Donahoe almost always went BPA wheras Levy looks to address need (and has) but isn't shy about taking their best rated player if he's that much higher than a need guy.

patmoran2006
05-07-2007, 03:31 PM
BWB.

Understood.. H owever, TD was attacked on his drafts mainly because he was considered too "cute" and took guys that weren't necessarily at the big "need" positions, mainly McGahee. He was attacked by Bills fans relentlessly because he generally failed to address either side of the line with high draft picks (other than M Williams).

Levy thus far has done the same thing.. 8 top picks, and only ONE linemen.

Hopefully, the skill players that Levy took will pan out.. My only point is his drafting style has been very similar to Donahoe's in terms of what players they select.

don137
05-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I think by skill players he is talking RB, WR and QB...TD spent a lot of first and second round picks on those type of players (Reed, Evans, Losman, Henry, draft pick for Bledsoe, McGahee, etc).

mikemac2001
05-07-2007, 09:49 PM

i hate pat to so i like when justa does it :dance:

Don't Panic
05-08-2007, 06:07 AM
I think by skill players he is talking RB, WR and QB...TD spent a lot of first and second round picks on those type of players (Reed, Evans, Losman, Henry, draft pick for Bledsoe, McGahee, etc).

Those have always been what I consider "skill" positions as well. The problem with TD was that he was trying to build a fantasy team, not create a team with balance and chemistry. That is where Levy differs.

Jan Reimers
05-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Really? Well through two drafts, Levy has had a total of 8 picks in rounds 1-4. Guess how many "skilled" (non OL, DL) players Lev has taken among those 8.. How about 7. We've drafted ONE guy for the lines combined among the first four rounds, John McCargo.. That's it.

Horse**** statement. I agree that Levy has done a good job, but dont call him "anti Donahoe" because he's done the exact same thing with the draft; take skill players over OL and DL in the first four rounds both years.
I thought "skill players" were generally defined as QBs, WRs, RBs and TEs. Marv went almost exclusively D in last year's draft, addressed the O line in free agency this year, and took a LB with our second pick.

Lynch and Edwards (and perhaps RB Wright) are Marv's only major "skill player" draft picks.

The Spaz
05-08-2007, 05:00 PM
I thought "skill players" were generally defined as QBs, WRs, RBs and TEs. Marv went almost exclusively D in last year's draft, addressed the O line in free agency this year, and took a LB with our second pick.

Lynch and Edwards (and perhaps RB Wright) are Marv's only major "skill player" draft picks.

Ding!!:clap:

patmoran2006
05-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Well.. There probably is no clear definition of what a "skilled" player is. To me personally, it's anybody whose number isn't in the 60's, 70's or 90's.

Regardless: I think Marv is off to a MUCH better start than Donahoe when it comes to drafting, though he could've taken Dwayne Wright with the 12th overall pick and it would be better than Donahoe's selction of Mike Williams in 2002. The only point I was trying to make is LEvy is drafting players by position similar to the way Donahoe did, and neither really addressed the lines much in the early part of the draft; just hopefully Levy's picks turn out to be a lot better pro's.

All it takes is to TOTALLY screw up one single draft and it sets your team back for years. Mike Williams and Josh Reed were the two guys Donahoe tabbed that year..It could've easily been Bryant McKinnie and Deon Branch instead. TD also took Coy Wire on day one that year. IF he didnt botch that draft so bad the Bills might not be on a 7-year playoff drought and counting.

don137
05-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Well.. There probably is no clear definition of what a "skilled" player is. To me personally, it's anybody whose number isn't in the 60's, 70's or 90's.

Regardless: I think Marv is off to a MUCH better start than Donahoe when it comes to drafting, though he could've taken Dwayne Wright with the 12th overall pick and it would be better than Donahoe's selction of Mike Williams in 2002. The only point I was trying to make is LEvy is drafting players by position similar to the way Donahoe did, and neither really addressed the lines much in the early part of the draft; just hopefully Levy's picks turn out to be a lot better pro's.

All it takes is to TOTALLY screw up one single draft and it sets your team back for years. Mike Williams and Josh Reed were the two guys Donahoe tabbed that year..It could've easily been Bryant McKinnie and Deon Branch instead. TD also took Coy Wire on day one that year. IF he didnt botch that draft so bad the Bills might not be on a 7-year playoff drought and counting.

Marv Levy said in his book that he does not like drafting OL especially early in drafts. In his opinion OL has one of the biggest learning curves at the NFL level and he thinks the best way to address the OL is via free agency which is what he did this year.
Levy did also draft McCargo last year in the first, picked up Triplett in free agency so he did address the DL as well. It may not be enough in many peoples eyes but he did address them.

The Spaz
05-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Marv Levy said in his book that he does not like drafting OL especially early in drafts. In his opinion OL has one of the biggest learning curves at the NFL level and he thinks the best way to address the OL is via free agency which is what he did this year.
Levy did also draft McCargo last year in the first, picked up Triplett in free agency so he did address the DL as well. It may not be enough in many peoples eyes but he did address them.
Not to mention we traded for Darwin Walker.:beers:

Earthquake Enyart
05-09-2007, 08:41 AM
I agree. In the cap world you can't tie up big money to OL.

Although I guess it doesn't really matter since we will be way under the cap anyhow.

mysticsoto
05-09-2007, 08:53 AM

I think the big difference is that Levy didn't have to draft DL or OL b'cse he attacked those positions in FA. He coughed up a good amt of cash on the OL and we also have Pennington/Butler - 2 rookies who may contribute significantly this year which were drafted last year with potential! Donahoe's only achievement here was getting Peters and that was dropped on his lap, as he didn't draft this specimen that I kept harping would be a good pick up. And of course, Mike Williams will always be remembered as one of Donahoe's worst picks.

On the DL, we've done less, but we got Walker in a trade and have possible contributors in Laron Harris and/or Manny Wright if these guys can get their heads together and get their act straight. They do have the potential.

Donahoe only went after skill players in the draft, but never did much in FA to cover the other holes we have. Levy has atleast made the attempt in the offseason so that he can have the luxury to draft for value/skill.

justasportsfan
05-09-2007, 08:56 AM
preach on brotha! Word!