PDA

View Full Version : Keys to victory vs. Ottawa

elltrain22
05-07-2007, 07:38 AM
I am so geeked up for this series. I absolutely hate the Sens, and IMO, they are the Dolphins of the NHL. No doubt, its gonna be a rough & tough series, and here is just a few keys that I see that will be important vs. Ottawa.

1. Establish a consistent special teams effort. If our special teams play like they did vs. the Rangers (esp on the Penalty kill) we are in trouble. We need to stay outta the box, and when on the kill, we must do a good job blocking shooting lanes, then successfully clear (don't chip it back out to point--like yesterday) Also, not necessarily score, but create good scoring chances on the power play. No fancy dancy crap, but put pucks on net damnit!!!!

2. Be more physical than Ottawa. Without question, Ottawa is a very physical team that tries to use that as an advantage, but, just like last year, we need to match that aggression so that we can win those individuals battles. We all saw vs the Rangers how in games 2,3, and 4 we were not aggressive, but in 5 & 6 we stepped it up, we need to hit hard, finish our checks, clog shooting lanes, protect our goalie, and not be afraid to match Ottawa's intensity.

3. On odd man rushes & good scoring opportunities, we must capitalize a good majority of the time. We did that well versus the Sens last year, and that will need to be consistent this year.

4. Minimize the Spezza-Alfredson-Heatley line. This line, IMO, is the best in the NHL, especially on the power play. This is easier said than done, and this line will be productive, but we need to minimize this as much as possible.

5. Mad Max needs to stop giving up the puck, making horrible turnovers, and trying to do too much. I have been very unimpressed w/ what has brought this year and IMO, if he doesn't improve, sit him and play Drew Stafford.

SkateZilla
05-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Stay Away from Penalty traps, Its a Canadian Team, you know they are gonna get their Nightly 5 on 3...

Dr. Lecter
05-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Can we stop whining about the officiate before the series starts?

MTBillsFan
05-07-2007, 08:53 AM
1. Stop them on the PP and take advantage of our PP! The Rangers kicked our butts this last series and we were lucky that it didn't hurt us more.
Ottawa has one of the best PP going.
2. Shoot anytime you have the puck...Emery will crack under the pressure. He's half the goalie Lundqvist is.
GO SABRES

don137
05-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Withut a doubt special teams is the key to the series other than goaltending. The Sabres have not played great at killing penalties and Ottawa has a very good power play unit. If Buffalo can finish the series breaking even with the Sens for goals vs goals allowed on special teams the Sabres will win the series without a doubt.

Typ0
05-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Sabres in five.

camelcowboy
05-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Buffalo's ability to roll four lines in this series will be huge. In past meetings this year Murray had to stop using the McAmmond line because they couldn't keep up with buffalo's speed. If the sabres can make ottawa shorten their bench then thats a big advantage for buffalo. Home ice will be huge because we can match up Drury's line and Lydman and Tallinder against the Spezza/Heatly/alfredson line. The sabres go into this match up with Connolly, Zubrus, and Goose who the senators haven't had to deal with. "Goose the last couple ottawa games." In the end Miller v Emery will be the biggest match up and i have to give the edge to Miller. The best thing that could of happened to buffalo was facing a couple of hot goalies in the opening rounds. Emery at his best will never be as good as Lundquist. If the sabres can win a couple games in buffalo ottawa will fold like years past.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-07-2007, 12:10 PM
1)find a way to contain Heatley (he's the one that always kills us) and Spezza, Alfredsson doesn't bother me that much
2)get into Emery's head get him off his game he will buckle under the pressure
3)Kill Chris Neal :snicker:

mchurchfie
05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Crash the net after shots, Emery has been giving up some juicey rebounds on a consistent basis. Ottawa hasn't been tested in the PO's so far. They will be brought back to reality this series.

kgun12
05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Ottawa has one of the best PP going.
2. Shoot anytime you have the puck...Emery will crack under the pressure. He's half the goalie Lundqvist is.
GO SABRES

2)get into Emery's head get him off his game he will buckle under the pressure

There is your key. Emery gives up bad rebound and if we can get in his head early and often it's over in 5, if not this could go 7.

BlackMetalNinja
05-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Key #1: Score more goals in each game!

WOO... somebody had to be the jackass!

Dr. Lecter
05-07-2007, 06:19 PM
I am shocked at who it was too.

Meathead
05-07-2007, 06:25 PM
1. score more goals than they do more times than they do

the sabres advantage here is scoring depth so get balanced scoring across the lines so they can keep rolling four. the sens can roll four but if their fourth starts losing the +/- battle they could be forced to play three

i also agree with the advantage in goal and the sabres should try to shoot from all angles like they eventually did the last two series to counter the defensive turtling

i think the sens have the emotional edge going in so the sabres will need to be at the top of their game early in the series. considering the sabres slow starts i wouldnt be surprised to see them in a 1-3 hole going into game five, though 2-2 seems more likely

Meathead
05-07-2007, 06:26 PM
WOO... somebody had to be the jackass!
lol we were both writing our jackass posts at the same time

Dr. Lecter
05-07-2007, 06:28 PM
lol we were both writing our jackass posts at the same time

Now it is even more shocking.

YardRat
05-07-2007, 08:04 PM
The sabres go into this match up with Connolly, Zubrus, and Goose who the senators haven't had to deal with.

Connelly, granted. Zubrus they've played against, even though with Washington, and Gaustad was on the ice for 6 of the eight games (although he got hurt during the sixth) during the regular season and the Sens won four of those.

CuseJetsFan83
05-08-2007, 04:59 AM
plain and simple, they can't play lazy.....
ottawa in round 2 was just like NYR in round 1.......... really hot, and shows periods of perfection.

with that being said, emery was playing unusually hot, even against the likes of brodeur.....

1. SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT>.......... pressure is what will get ottawa off their game

2. play like the 2nd period of game 6.......... that was one of the strongest periods ive seen the sabres play all year.

3. keep the same lines....... zubu and drury must play huge, as they are the marked ones