View Full Version : Very Tense Moment on Draft Day

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Very interesting read:

"Our assumption was that the Saints were going to try to make a trade with New England when we heard the Patriots were making a trade," said Modrak. "The Saints were trying to make a trade with everyone in that area. So we assumed it was them and my feeling was New Orleans wanted a quarterback."

But time was running out on the Patriots to complete the trade. Bills equipment manager Dave Hojnowski, who works at the Bills draft table in New York City every year, was on the phone with Bills head athletic trainer Bud Carpenter in Buffalo's draft room at One Bills Drive, and told him that the clock was winding down on New England.

"The Patriots got down to about 45 seconds left and the two guys that take the cards from the teams up to the head table suddenly go running from the Patriots table all the way across the room to the Oakland table," said Hojnowski. "In the meantime I'm telling Bud on the other end of the phone that we have 30 seconds before the pick is over. So Bud gives me Trent Edwards' name to write down so we have the card filled out."

more... (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4770)

HAMMER
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Interesting read, thanks Miyagi.

patmoran2006
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Im going to be watching Daymeion Hughes very closely this season with Indy.

I thought that should've been the pick and I'm kinda shocked we didn't take him. Naturally, Polian takes him 3 picks after us, which pretty much ensures me he'll turn into a good cover two corner.

Having said that, I dont think you can really blast the pick of Edwards either. If Losman goes down the season is over with Craig Nall starting.

Saratoga Slim
05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Im going to be watching Daymeion Hughes very closely this season with Indy.

I thought that should've been the pick and I'm kinda shocked we didn't take him. Naturally, Polian takes him 3 picks after us, which pretty much ensures me he'll turn into a good cover two corner.

Having said that, I dont think you can really blast the pick of Edwards either. If Losman goes down the season is over with Craig Nall starting.

my thoughts exactly. I'd have much rather seen us take Daymeion Hughes, and then look for a late round or UDFA to carry clipboards with Nall. But if Losman gets hurt having Edwards around may be very worthwhile. I cant get excited about the pick, but I can't really fault it either.

Hamilton Billsfan
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I remember that moment....It seemed to me that the clock had run out on New England and then we made our pick very quickly after New England! I wondered if something like that happened.
Kudos to Bills management for being on the ball.:dance:

Mr. Pink
05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Good read Miyagi-san...thanks.

patmoran2006
05-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Im one of the few that probably doesnt dislike Trent Edwards, but I cant help but think we only one got ONE guy in rounds 2-3 that is going to be of any help immediately instead of 3, which we could've easily had by standing pat.

Poz is obviously going to help up immediately and although I feel he wasn't worth the trade-up, I could certainly seen from a Bills point of view WHY they did it. I can also see the longer-term logic in Edwards..

But still.. Obviously we'll have to wait a couple of years to see how guys pan out and if they become stars or busts. But everytime I think about the draft I will think that I wished we had done this.

2- David Harris, LB
3A- Jason Hill, WR
3B- Daymeion Hughes, CB

To me.. Those are three guys that are going to be good NFL players and we could've had them all-- and thats with me assuming POZ was gone before our second rounder (almost a certainty)

So I really hope POZ becomes a special player, because not only did we move up to get him, we neglected to take a CB or WR, period.

BTW.. That was a good read

ShadowHawk7
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
My goodness, had we picked Harris, Hill, and then Hughes... I just don't know what I would have done. That would have been one of the best day one drafts ever. I really wish that could have happened.

I still almost wouldn't have minded if the Saints did trade up and get him; we would have been almost forced to take a position of immediate need.

Michael82
05-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Im one of the few that probably doesnt dislike Trent Edwards, but I cant help but think we only one got ONE guy in rounds 2-3 that is going to be of any help immediately instead of 3, which we could've easily had by standing pat.

Poz is obviously going to help up immediately and although I feel he wasn't worth the trade-up, I could certainly seen from a Bills point of view WHY they did it. I can also see the longer-term logic in Edwards..

But still.. Obviously we'll have to wait a couple of years to see how guys pan out and if they become stars or busts. But everytime I think about the draft I will think that I wished we had done this.

2- David Harris, LB
3A- Jason Hill, WR
3B- Daymeion Hughes, CB

To me.. Those are three guys that are going to be good NFL players and we could've had them all-- and thats with me assuming POZ was gone before our second rounder (almost a certainty)

So I really hope POZ becomes a special player, because not only did we move up to get him, we neglected to take a CB or WR, period.

Poz will be much better than Harris. I don't think Harris fit in our defense either. :shakeno:

kernowboy
05-07-2007, 02:42 PM
It was Day2 which caused a concern for me - I'd have done

R4 Doug Free, - an excellent backup LT
R6 WENDLING - a brilliant pick
R7a Dan Santucci - a decent OL
R7b Brandon Siler - at least a backup ILB

I'd have also have liked us to have gone this way with the UDFA

Joe Newton TE .... at the very least a huge option.
Dan Mozes C .... a backup and replacement for Fowler.
Jesse Allen FB ... a Dan Kreidar type.

I'd have been happy with any of these guys instead of Santucci

kgun12
05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
This is actually funny to me! Here the Bills are dying hoping that they were going to get Edwards and in reality nobody wanted him anywhere near where we were! Hell we probably could have gotten him like in round 6. Not a slam on Edwards I just don't think anyone was going to that him and his shoulder and injury problem as high as we did.

patmoran2006
05-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I think NO would've taken him in the next round (4). or maybe Dallas.. I dont think he would've lasted past round 4, but having said that I dont care; a team that claims they are trying to win now has no business taking a quarterback in round three when they have a young, improved QB in Losman.

It says one of three things:
1- Losman will get dicked if he plays bad early, much like he did under Mularkey now that we have a more capable backup in Edwards. Unlikely (I hope)

2- Wilson/Levy is ALREADY worried about being able to resign Losman in the next 2 years, which is absolutely sickening and disgusting to ponder.

3- They took Edwards thinking of a Matt SChaub, in which he can be great trade bait in 2-3 years.. That's all fine and dandy, but someone tell me how that helps a team playoff-less in seven years running ANY BETTER than we were the day before the draft.?

acehole
05-07-2007, 04:07 PM
I always look at the draft from a value stand point. I can tell you now there was/is no way to know who would of been there at the 2nd spot. After my early heart attack I see it this way. M Lynch was a first round rated pick (MID) Poz was a late 1rst rated pick and edwards a late 2nd. So we got 2 x 1rst rounders and a second for one 1x1...... 1 x 2 and 2x3's. Not to mention that the 3 was a throw away for a guy we would never sign next year. Add that to the fact that J Welding was a late 3 early 4 rated player on some boards and we had very good value. So what if M Lynch went 3-6 picks too early.....nobody will care if he gets rookie of the year.

2- David Harris, LB
3A- Jason Hill, WR
3B- Daymeion Hughes, CB

ParanoidAndroid
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM
If anyone had a mock that looked like this

1. Lynch
2. Poz
3. Edwards

I would have laughed at them and said "In your dreams. No way are Poz and Edwards going to be there." I'm sure many would have agreed. But here we are and this draft actually happened. That is friggin awesome any way you slice it!