PDA

View Full Version : I'm still thinking that Marv and Co. aren't sold on JP yet.

HHURRICANE
05-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Let's not kid ourselves. Nall was brought in to challenge JP for the job. He didn't win it and I think the brain trust realized that JP was a better option. However, I think they aren't completely sold yet.

There is alot of love for this Edwards kid. Too much if you ask me. JP needs to play at a pretty high level.

shelby
05-07-2007, 03:20 PM
It never hurts to have motivation to perform to the best of your ability.

If the FO thinks Losman needs a push in order to be more successful, i'm all for it.

PECKERWOOD
05-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Marv just likes having two good quarterbacks look at Kelly-Reich. If I recall correctly Frank Reich was a 3rd round selection as well and nobody was insinuating that Frank was going to replace Jim. Before we drafted Trent Edwards we only had 2 QBs on the roster, so it was obvious that we were going to address the QB position this year via draft. It just so happened that Trent was available in the 3rd round and his grade value was better than any other player available.

OpIv37
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
JP has shown improvement but he's not a sure thing at this point.

If he has some pass protection and someone other than Evans learns how to get open, I think he can be good.

He really has to work on his touch passes though- it would suck to lose Lynch's receiving ability because Losman throws rockets on 10 yard passes.

PECKERWOOD
05-07-2007, 03:23 PM
JP is the real deal.

PS

If we wanted to get rid of Losman we would have drafted Quinn.

Bling
05-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Let's not kid ourselves. Nall was brought in to challenge JP for the job. He didn't win it and I think the brain trust realized that JP was a better option. However, I think they aren't completely sold yet.

There is alot of love for this Edwards kid. Too much if you ask me. JP needs to play at a pretty high level.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar417_5.gif

Trent Edwards was the best pick you guys made.

gr8slayer
05-07-2007, 03:25 PM

Yeah, he'll make for great trade bait one day!

Bling
05-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Exactly.

justasportsfan
05-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm not sold on JP either but I don't think Edwards was brought in because of him. If anything, they're not sold on NAll.

Night Train
05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
I think it's a combo of a few observations mentioned above.

1. JP is the starter and will be in his option year after this season. He needs to improve his reads on the safety over the middle and the CB jumping on his out patterns. I'm a JP fan but he has lots of room to improve in football smarts. You can't just get by on the bomb and deep post. No improvement = no extension

2. Nall may be Gale Gilbert lite and nothing more. Decent arm, zero mobility and never starting material.

3. Edwards scouting report - The first thing I noticed Ourlads stating was that he had better touch than any QB in the draft. Can throw the bomb as well as the short stuff. Reads the D well and plays smart. It's all about getting the ball to every available weapon and he can make all the throws.

Conclusion - He probably has far more talent than Frank Reich and will receive a serious look if Losman doesn't take more steps forward to warrant an extension. If not, he's trading material but he's here for at least 3 years regardless.

Romes
05-07-2007, 05:35 PM
I think Marv and Co are completely sold on JP.

Edwards isn't here to take JP's spot. He is here to be probably a 3rd string this year and maybe/hopefully and 2nd next year. I know its easy to get excited about draft picks but really if Edwards ever does challenge JP for the starting spot it won't be for another 2 years at least.

And yes, that does mean the Bills drafted a back up in the 3rd round which isn't a bad thing, this team needed a good young back up.

acehole
05-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Don't agree but we wil see.

mybills
05-07-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm sold on JP. :hail:JP

SABURZFAN
05-07-2007, 06:36 PM
There is alot of love for this Edwards kid. Too much if you ask me.

:laughter:

how quickly he forgets the JP mancrushes around here.

Philagape
05-07-2007, 06:56 PM
JP needs to play at a pretty high level.

No problem.

Edwards is zero threat.

G. Host
05-07-2007, 07:06 PM

It will be great when Fins offer their first round picks for next three years for him.

G. Host
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Marv just likes having two good quarterbacks look at Kelly-Reich. If I recall correctly Frank Reich was a 3rd round selection as well and nobody was insinuating that Frank was going to replace Jim.

Frank Reich was signed when Jimbo was in USFL. He was brought in because the Bills signed Vince Ferragam as a stop gap starter.

jpdex12
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM

Yeah, Marv brought in Reich for the same reason back in 1985, because he thought Jim Kelly sucked like JP. That's why Marv kept Jim in at QB for 12 years and even let him run his own plays.

Don't let the media's love for the Edwards pick fool you for what OBD really thinks.

The Spaz
05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
JP just has to continue to progress and if he doesn't it's his own fault.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I am so sick of this crap about JP not being the answer. He's our freakin' QB. Period.
Now get over it and talk about something valid.

The Spaz
05-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I am so sick of this crap about JP not being the answer. He's our freakin' QB. Period.
Now get over it and talk about something valid.

I like JP and want him to succeed but he has only started 1 season. He has to do more than that to get full creditability IMO.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-08-2007, 07:51 AM
I actually completely disagree with this post. I think they really like what they saw from JP. I think they decided to draft a young QB because the fact of the matter is that nobody knows what is going to happen in a couple years when JP's contract is up.

User Manuel
05-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I think it has come to a point in the NFL where you can't be totally sold on any quarterback. Look at Ben Rothlesburger, everyone was thrilled with him two years ago and he was awful last year. Daunte Culpepper went from stud to zero seemingly overnight.

You can never have too many good QBS. Period.

bflojohn
05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I think that Steve Fairchild will keep molding J.P. Losman into a bonified threat to the rest of the AFC. He is an outstanding athlete, and his arm is going to get him cemented into the upper echelon of QB's, if you ask me!! The sky is the limit, and if anyone believes anything about his work ethic, he WILL succeed. Bank on it....

feelthepain
05-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Nothing at all wrong with keeping Losman on his toes, he's earned nothing yet. If he wants to be the man in Buffalo he needs to force the focus elseware and he hasn't done that yet. Sure he played better the second half of last year, but so did the rest of the team. He didn't exactly light the league up, I think Marv brought in Edwards to make sure JP doesn't take his job for granted. Smart move.

gr8slayer
05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Nothing at all wrong with keeping Losman on his toes, he's earned nothing yet. If he wants to be the man in Buffalo he needs to force the focus elseware and he hasn't done that yet. Sure he played better the second half of last year, but so did the rest of the team. He didn't exactly light the league up, I think Marv brought in Edwards to make sure JP doesn't take his job for granted. Smart move.
0-2

The Answer
05-09-2007, 06:17 PM

There's nothing wrong with having to young studs on the roster at the QB position.

As long as it isn't Flutie/Johnson all over again - The Answer is still pretty fumed over how The Little General was handled and not properly utilized.

~The Answer

X-Era
05-09-2007, 06:56 PM

Edwards has close to zero chance of starting unless JP gets injured. Let's not kid ourselves.

I take the Bills braintrust at face value when they stated they took him because he was the best available in the 3rd and we needed a backup QB. Thats it nothing more.

Lets start counting how many posts like this we get before training camp.

Im saying it will be at least 3 dozen.