PDA

View Full Version : Scobey will get chance to shine on special teams

YardRat
05-08-2007, 06:11 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/bills-scobey-specialteams080507.html

Where Scobey may prove to be most valuable is to the defense, as his ability to return kickoffs could mean former Pro Bowler Terrence McGee will no longer be doing so. The new guy may not have as gaudy a lifetime return average as the established returner (22.4 yards for Scobey versus 27.1 for McGee), but then again, few players do. Scobey has been good enough in the past that he could win the present job, and he gives the Bills an option to use McGee in a purely defensive role.

Bills fans would be suitably dismayed at the notion that a returner as excitingly explosive as McGee will watch kickoffs from the sidelines. At the same time, they must also bear in mind that McGee is now the undisputed most valuable cornerback on the roster, which means that the team would ultimately be best served by eliminating the risk involved by having him fly around fielding kicks.

Scobey could end up being a player like Andre' Davis was for the Bills last season or Josh Stamer has been for a few years, namely someone nominally on the roster as a positional backup whose real value is as a special teams warrior. The Bills might keep more "running backs" than usual if Scobey can prove himself valuable as a returner and as a tackler of the other team's respective returner. As for the latter, he not only brought back kicks for Seattle in 2005 but also led the team in special teams tackles, an impressively selfless rarity.

madness
05-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I'd feel a lot more comfortable if McGee could just focus on being a CB this year.

YoungMoney
05-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Put sco on kick returns.

gr8slayer
05-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Remember ReShard Lee a couple years ago? That's all Scobey is

The Spaz
05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Remember ReShard Lee a couple years ago? That's all Scobey is

I don't remember him being a beast on special teams.

streetkings01
05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Put sco on kick returns.I agree! Roscoe returned 10 kickoffs in 2005 for 261 yds, avg 26.1 per return, and had 2 40+ returns. Put Roscoe on kickoffs and punt returns, we need to get the ball in his hands as much as possible.

gr8slayer
05-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't remember him being a beast on special teams.
He was no former McGee but he was well above average.

The Spaz
05-08-2007, 10:21 AM
He was no former McGee but he was well above average.

I should have said as far as making tackles as well.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:22 AM
I think we really need to be careful with the ST thing- keeping too many guys on the roster for their special teams prowess can lead to shortages at certain positions (LB, CB, and to a lesser extent DL last year).

bigbub2352
05-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I agree! Roscoe returned 10 kickoffs in 2005 for 261 yds, avg 26.1 per return, and had 2 40+ returns. Put Roscoe on kickoffs and punt returns, we need to get the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Scobey is here for competition, cant have enough, all the good teams got 4-5 rbs on there roster, i am not looking for him to be much in the game plan for offense, but on ST he is an excellent gunner, and can be a spot kick returner as well, i Luv Roscoe returning kicks and punts, and agrre with u, but in case of injury we need someone else who can do it as well, and same goes for McGee, if he gets hurt we need a capable back up, i like this pickup, cause he has been a consistent contributer to ST thruout his career and if he makes the team he will do the same for us, plus he fits the big back mode 220lbs 6'0 that our offense seams to be going with, another plus over small rbs shaud and fred

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I agree! Roscoe returned 10 kickoffs in 2005 for 261 yds, avg 26.1 per return, and had 2 40+ returns. Put Roscoe on kickoffs and punt returns, we need to get the ball in his hands as much as possible.

be careful what you wish for- Roscoe makes some BAD decisions at times.

Elminster
05-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Mmm...let him or some one else returns kicks. The fact is we're thin at corner and I doubt we'd cope too well with one of the top three going down....

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
be careful what you wish for- Roscoe makes some BAD decisions at times.
I was cringing when he ran backwards against the fins in the 2nd game. It happened right in fron of us. Almost cost us the shutout.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I was cringing when he ran backwards against the fins in the 2nd game. It happened right in fron of us. Almost cost us the shutout.

he's a high-risk/high reward player. It's either a 40 yard gain or a 15 yard loss on the return- rarely anything in between.

madness
05-08-2007, 01:39 PM
IMO, Roscoe should only be returning punts. I think he's just too light to return kicks and like OP said, makes some very bad decisions. I'm hoping Scobey can win a roster spot and take over KR duties. This is a make or break year for McGee especially with our CB depth. I have no problem with him taking a KR here and there but please oh please let him keep his focus solely on CB.

gr8slayer
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm all for someone taking the KR duties from McGee at this point. He needs to strictly be a CB right nw.

RockStar36
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm all for Parrish returning kicks. I have been for a year or so now.

Tatonka
05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
i would hope that they would consider using mcgee still in big situations like the panther do with steve smith.