PDA

View Full Version : So has it been determined yet

Earthquake Enyart
05-08-2007, 08:12 AM
That aliens took over Marv's body after the second round.

I can see taking a flyer on the Boise State guy, but all the other picks baffle me.

Hope you Youboty guys will enjoy seeing the back of his jersey chasing after Randy Moss. :mad:

YoungMoney
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Any CB we would have taken would have been riding the pine while Youboty played anyways.

Jan Reimers
05-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Since we didn't take a CB in the first or second round - and rightfully so, as RB and LB were far greater needs - it would have made little sense to draft one in the third. Youboty was a steal in the third round last year, and I would guess that none of the remaining CBs after 91 picks graded out nearly as high as he did.

He was young and inexperienced when we drafted him, and then missed a large part of camp. He was also behind 2 veteran starters. I don't think there is any reason to believe that Youboty won't be a quality player this season.

Dr. Lecter
05-08-2007, 08:32 AM
That aliens took over Marv's body after the second round.

I can see taking a flyer on the Boise State guy, but all the other picks baffle me.

Hope you Youboty guys will enjoy seeing the back of his jersey chasing after Randy Moss. :mad:

So a rookie CB we draft in rounds 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 would be more ready to start than last year's 3rd round pick? Or even would be ahead of Thomas?

Later rounds are not about filling needs. They rarely step in year 1 and provide solid play (last year was an anomoly). Take the best player there.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Since we didn't take a CB in the first or second round - and rightfully so, as RB and LB were far greater needs - it would have made little sense to draft one in the third. Youboty was a steal in the third round last year, and I would guess that none of the remaining CBs after 91 picks graded out nearly as high as he did.

He was young and inexperienced when we drafted him, and then missed a large part of camp. He was also behind 2 veteran starters. I don't think there is any reason to believe that Youboty won't be a quality player this season.

and you know this because...?

Youboty played nickel in ONE game- that's all the experience he has over Hughes or some other 3rd round CB.

I think we should have drafted Hughes and let him and Youboty fight it out in camp- even if Youboty wins at least we'd have some young depth at the position. Instead we have a 7 year vet with 0 career interceptions, a 2nd year player who played nickel in ONE game, and McGee, who has struggled in 2 of his 3 years at CB.

YoungMoney
05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
We have Greer who has more experience then all of them, and the same skills (runs a 4.4)

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
We have Greer who has more experience then all of them, and the same skills (runs a 4.4)

if he has the same skills, why was he on the bench while Thomas and Youboty played last year?

Speed is not the same as skill. Antonio Brown ring a bell?

Jan Reimers
05-08-2007, 08:50 AM

Youboty played nickel in ONE game- that's all the experience he has over Hughes or some other 3rd round CB.

I think we should have drafted Hughes and let him and Youboty fight it out in camp- even if Youboty wins at least we'd have some young depth at the position. Instead we have a 7 year vet with 0 career interceptions, a 2nd year player who played nickel in ONE game, and McGee, who has struggled in 2 of his 3 years at CB.
Sorry, Op, I'm just going by what is obvious from what the Bills did - or didn't do - at CB. They must feel that he can handle the job, or they would have drafted someone else.

Dr. Lecter
05-08-2007, 08:50 AM

And a rookie would fix all of that!

Youboty also had an entire year of practicing with the team, attending meetings, working with coaches, working with veteran players, and learning the defense, as well as an offseason working with the coaches. To say he only played in one game is entirely 100% inaccurate.

For somebody who *****ed up a storm you did not want rookie starters you sure a re *****ing that we don't have rookie starters.

Earthquake Enyart
05-08-2007, 08:51 AM
I was surprised that we traded up for Pos. I believe we could have taken Houston there and picked up a LB with our 3rd.

I don't get the Edwards thing at all. We spent all last year coddling JP telling him that he "won" the QB competition. The guy was just starting to get some confidence in his play, and now he has to look over his shoulder again?

If JP is our guy, we should be extending him now before his contract is up so we don't end up in that Clemens predicament again. Maybe by drafting Edwards they are saying that JP is not our guy.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Sorry, Op, I'm just going by what is obvious from what the Bills did - or didn't do - at CB. They must feel that he can handle the job, or they would have drafted someone else.

well I hope they're right because on paper our CB situation is piss-poor.

patmoran2006
05-08-2007, 08:55 AM

I absolutley disagree.

I do agree about RB and LB being needs 1-2 and were rightfully addressed in the first two picks, but CB was a much bigger need than a 2nd or 3rd string QB, and Daymeion Hughes was sitting there. ON top of that, Polian takes him right after us, which almost guarentees he's going to be a good player.

Dr. Lecter
05-08-2007, 08:55 AM
NO drafted a RB. Are they saying Bush is not their guy? Atlanta drafted Schaub after drafting Vick. GB drafted Hasselbeck while they had Favre. Dallas drafted Steve Walsh right after drafting Aikman.

Maybe, just maybe, Edwards was rated so high the Bills could not have passed on him.

Drafting Pos made sense. They needed impact at LB and he was the last impact guy available. I do think they gave up more than they should have, it is not a big deal. What LB could have they taken in round 3?

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:06 AM
And a rookie would fix all of that!

Youboty also had an entire year of practicing with the team, attending meetings, working with coaches, working with veteran players, and learning the defense, as well as an offseason working with the coaches. To say he only played in one game is entirely 100% inaccurate.

For somebody who *****ed up a storm you did not want rookie starters you sure a re *****ing that we don't have rookie starters.

Fix it? No.

Provide depth and provide another option in case Youboty sucks? Absolutely.

When Nate left and we didn't sign someone like Harper, I *****ed about it and everyone said we can find one in the draft. Well, guess what DIDN'T happen?

I'm definitely not a fan of rookie starters but I'm even less of a fan of losing players and not replacing them.

People around here have a LOT of confidence in Youboty for no real reason other than his "first round grade" before he was drafted in the THIRD round.

Jan Reimers
05-08-2007, 09:07 AM
No use beating this to death. No one will know until next season whether Youboty will be the man or not.

It just seems to me, judging by their draft, that the Bills are comfortable not only with Youboty, but Ellison and McCargo as well. They're not as quick to give up on young players as some posters here, or to subscribe to "the grass is always greener" scenario, where everyone we've ever heard of is automatically better than anyone we already have.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
No use beating this to death. No one will know until next season whether Youboty will be the man or not.

It just seems to me, judging by their draft, that the Bills are comfortable not only with Youboty, but Ellison and McCargo as well. They're not as quick to give up on young players as some posters here, or to subscribe to "the grass is always greener" scenario, where everyone we've ever heard of is automatically better than anyone we already have.

Ellison played a lot last year and we sucked. McCargo played at the beginning of the year and certainly didn't impress. Youboty couldn't even dress for games over Thomas and Greer.

Does this mean they'll never be good? No, but you can't really blame us for being skeptical. We've got three guys on D who may or may not be good. I don't see the problem in replacing one or two of those guys with players who have proven themselves to some degree.

Dr. Lecter
05-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Provide depth and provide another option in case Youboty sucks? Absolutely.

When Nate left and we didn't sign someone like Harper, I *****ed about it and everyone said we can find one in the draft. Well, guess what DIDN'T happen?

I'm definitely not a fan of rookie starters but I'm even less of a fan of losing players and not replacing them.

People around here have a LOT of confidence in Youboty for no real reason other than his "first round grade" before he was drafted in the THIRD round.

How do we know that the rookie CB even provides that?

ANd again, you emphasize that Youboty was a 3rd round pick but want a 3rd round pick to be available to replace him (in a draft that was not deep as well).

gr8slayer
05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Had we drafted a rookie CB we'd be no better off than if we just stuck with Youboty. At least Youboty has had a year in the system.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
How do we know that the rookie CB even provides that?

ANd again, you emphasize that Youboty was a 3rd round pick but want a 3rd round pick to be available to replace him (in a draft that was not deep as well).

We don't know but we don't know what Youboty provides either.

I want a 3rd round pick for DEPTH and COMPETITION. Two options are better than one (especially when that one was already incapable of dressing over Greer and Thomas).

Or, we can just keep losing starters and "replacing" them with the guys on the bench behind them. That strategy has been SOOO successful in the past :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
and you know this because...?. our coaches and scouts thought so.

I think we should have drafted Hughes and let him and Youboty fight it out in camp- even if Youboty wins at least we'd have some young depth at the position. Instead we have a 7 year vet with 0 career interceptions, a 2nd year player who played nickel in ONE game, and McGee, who has struggled in 2 of his 3 years at CB. Granted they may not be always right, I trust their judgment on the quality of the cb's left in the 3rd rds. and later over yours.

OpIv37
Had we drafted a rookie CB we'd be no better off than if we just stuck with Youboty. At least Youboty has had a year in the system.

But we'd have two players in camp and we could pick the better one. Now, we're stuck with Youboty regardless of whether or not he sucks.

Don't get me wrong- I think it was smart to not use our first two picks on a corner. But in the 3rd, CB was a MUCH higher priority that QB and they didn't even try to address the situation.

gr8slayer

I want a 3rd round pick for DEPTH and COMPETITION. Two options are better than one (especially when that one was already incapable of dressing over Greer and Thomas).

Or, we can just keep losing starters and "replacing" them with the guys on the bench behind them. That strategy has been SOOO successful in the past :rolleyes:
You got one, Edwards will be fighting it out with Nall for number two and might be great trade bait one day.

Thomas and Youboty will battle it out for #2.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM

:

Like I said, our coaches do.

Romes
05-08-2007, 09:40 AM

But if Youboty fails, the Bills don't have a legitmate back up plan. On paper the CB position is very thin, that is scary.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:40 AM
You got one, Edwards will be fighting it out with Nall for number two and might be great trade bait one day.

Thomas and Youboty will battle it out for #2.

how does a backup QB who someday might be trade bait help us win football games now?

A 3rd round CB may or may not help us win games now, but the chances of him helping would be MUCH greater.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 09:41 AM
But we'd have two players in camp and we could pick the better one. Now, we're stuck with Youboty regardless of whether or not he sucks.

Don't get me wrong- I think it was smart to not use our first two picks on a corner. But in the 3rd, CB was a MUCH higher priority that QB and they didn't even try to address the situation.

If we forced the situation we'd end up having another Tim Anderson (drafted in the 3rd) on our hands and you'd be whining about it the next few years.

gr8slayer
05-08-2007, 09:41 AM
But if Youboty fails, the Bills don't have a legitmate back up plan. On paper the CB position is very thin, that is scary.
Average CB's can easily shine in the T2.

I might be the minority here but I think Thomas is perfect for our scheme.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:42 AM
If we forced the situation we'd end up having another Tim Anderson (drafted in the 3rd) on our hands and you'd be whining about it the next few years.

So, it's better to do nothing than try to fix it? Aren't you the one who always lectures me about "giving up"?

Earthquake Enyart
A third round CB makes more sense than a QB.

A 4th round CB makes more sense than another RB.

A 6th round CB makes more sense than a white safety.

gr8slayer
how does a backup QB who someday might be trade bait help us win football games now?

A 3rd round CB may or may not help us win games now, but the chances of him helping would be MUCH greater.
It might help us a lot if Losman happens to break a leg again.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:43 AM
It might help us a lot if Losman happens to break a leg again.

If that happens, with Nall we're ****ed and with Edwards.... we're still ****ed. It doesn't help.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 09:44 AM

I agree, but a rookie cb drafted in the 3rd rd. is not a great back up plan either . In the meantime our qb situation is not settled obviously with Nall.

Marv said they weren't able to address all the positions and he did mention the cb, but if they thought the quality in his draft class is weak (majority of the nfl seem to think so) then going for value to try and settle JP's back up is not a bad thing either.

gr8slayer
05-08-2007, 09:45 AM

Did you see our running game last year?

What does race have to do with it? If he turns out to be like John Lynch it will make plenty of sense.

There is a reason Marv and Co. are in the positions they are in and we are not. Maybe they know something we don't? Maybe they have their eyes on someone when the June cuts happen.

gr8slayer
05-08-2007, 09:46 AM
If that happens, with Nall we're ****ed and with Edwards.... we're still ****ed. It doesn't help.
You've seen him play in the NFL? What game was that?

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 09:47 AM
So, it's better to do nothing than try to fix it? Aren't you the one who always lectures me about "giving up"?
what does giving up have to do with that? You're deperately finding another way to whine about a 3rd rd. talent in a very weak cb draft class.

Marv said they will still look for a cb. In a meantime it doesn't take rocket science to know that a cb in a weak draft class won't be better than the ones we already have on the team. If that's what a scouting department (who has done a good job so far) determines that then so be it.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
You've seen him play in the NFL? What game was that?
You tell me the last time a 3rd round QB came off the bench in his first NFL season and did well- and let's not forget that Edwards was often injured and not exactly stellar at Stanford.

QB has the highest learning curve in the NFL- why is it that Youboty's year in the system gives him an advantage over a 3rd round CB but Nall's year in the system doesn't give him the advantage over the 3rd round QB, when QB has a steeper learning curve? You're not being consistent.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
People are weird. They say we shouldn't have drafted a cb in rd. 1 and then whine about not grabbing one in the 3rd. Amazing.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:53 AM
what does giving up have to do with that? You're deperately finding another way to whine about a 3rd rd. talent in a very weak cb draft class.

Marv said they will still look for a cb. In a meantime it doesn't take rocket science to know that a cb in a weak draft class won't be better than the ones we already have on the team. If that's what a scouting department (who has done a good job so far) determines that then so be it.

There are three places to find players- FA, draft, and trade. The draft is over. It's been FA for two months now and the Bills have yet to sign or even attempt to sign a CB- most of the FA's have already been signed. In order to trade, you need to have A) another team with a CB on the trading block and B) something that team wants that you can afford to give up. So that's not really under Marv's control (or any GM for that matter- I'm not personally knocking Marv here- it's just the nature of trades).

Oh, and Bill Polian seemed to think Hughes was worthy of a 3rd round pick. But hey, what the hell does he know? :rolleyes:

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
People are weird. They say we shouldn't have drafted a cb in rd. 1 and then whine about not grabbing one in the 3rd. Amazing.

This statement makes no sense- we had higher priorites to address in the draft. We had 3 top priorities going into the draft- 1a LB, 1b RB and 2 CB. We addressed the first two with the first two picks. That makes sense.

Then with the third pick, we.... picked a player who most likely won't even see the field this year and will play like **** if he does. Smart. Really smart.

gr8slayer
05-08-2007, 09:58 AM
You tell me the last time a 3rd round QB came off the bench in his first NFL season and did well- and let's not forget that Edwards was often injured and not exactly stellar at Stanford.

QB has the highest learning curve in the NFL- why is it that Youboty's year in the system gives him an advantage over a 3rd round CB but Nall's year in the system doesn't give him the advantage over the 3rd round QB, when QB has a steeper learning curve? You're not being consistent.
Who's to say you have to be drafted early to be a success in the league? There are plenty of players who have had very stellar careers not even being drafted.

I never said Nall didn't have the advantage, Dick has already said that they would fight it out in camp for the number two spot. Even if it is Nall that takes the number two spot, you can never have too many QB's.

We are still a year away from being a play-off team, we aren't going to fix everything in one draft.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:00 AM
There are three places to find players- FA, draft, and trade. The draft is over. It's been FA for two months now and the Bills have yet to sign or even attempt to sign a CB- most of the FA's have already been signed. In order to trade, you need to have A) another team with a CB on the trading block and B) something that team wants that you can afford to give up. So that's not really under Marv's control (or any GM for that matter- I'm not personally knocking Marv here- it's just the nature of trades).: You're preaching to the choir, however you're crying about a 3rd rd. cb?

Oh, and Bill Polian seemed to think Hughes was worthy of a 3rd round pick. But hey, what the hell does he know? :rolleyes:
Oh man, why do I bother? :phew: The colts have the luxury. Their QB situation is settled ours isn't.

If Nall isn't our guy and JP goes down (next year or the year after ) then we're in deep crap. You yourself said ity takes a qb longer so grabbing JP's back up NOW and making him learn the ropes should prepare him for the next few years.

It's called foresight in the qb position.Andy Reid must be an idiot for grabbing a QB in the 1st rd when he has Feeley, Holcomb and McNabb.

If we drafted a cb in the 1st, Marv is senile. If he didn't draft one in the 3rd in a weak draft class, he's senile again.

Either ways he's senile.

We'll see how well Huges does next year.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:04 AM
This statement makes no sense- we had higher priorites to address in the draft. We had 3 top priorities going into the draft- 1a LB, 1b RB and 2 CB. We addressed the first two with the first two picks. That makes sense.

Then with the third pick, we.... picked a player who most likely won't even see the field this year and will play like **** if he does. Smart. Really smart.
I was talking about EE , he said it was right not to draft one in the 1st rd. and yet drafting one in the 3rd is a problem. I'm almost sure that 3rd would've sat behind Greer, Thomas.

you mean stability in the qb position is not a priority?

A 3rd rd. cb who our draft scouts have studied and thought was weak would fix our priority at the cb position? Whatever. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
you mean stability in the qb position is not a priority?

A 3rd rd. cb who our draft scouts have studied and thought was weak would fix our priority at the cb position? Whatever. :rolleyes:

yet.... a 3rd round QB who didn't even excel in college will provide stability at the QB position? Whatever :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:11 AM
yet.... a 3rd round QB who didn't even excel in college will provide stability at the QB position? Whatever :rolleyes:
So you studied Edwads in college?

As far as our coaches and scouts think down the road , yes. I'll take their opinion over yours anyday. :rolleyes:

Anything can happen to JP, see Palmer, McNabb, etc.etc. If anything happens you'd find a way to whine about Marv not having the foresight to stabilize the back up position.

If our coaches think Edwards could be our next Reich, so be it. Any bills fan knows how valuable Reich us was to the 90's bills.

codabills
05-08-2007, 10:11 AM
OpIv37 Stated there are three places to find players- FA, draft, and trade. The draft is over. It's been FA for two months now and the Bills have yet to sign or even attempt to sign a CB.

But the Bills Did Sign two CBs so whats your Point: CB Duane Coleman, CB Reggie Lewis,......

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:14 AM
But the Bills Did Sign two CBs so whats your Point: CB Duane Coleman, CB Reggie Lewis,......

are you trying to suggest that two undrafted FA's are better than a guy Bill Polian thought was worthy of a third round pick?

If there was no CB in the third round who would be an improvement (as justa is contending), then there is no way in hell the UDFA's are going to be an improvement.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:14 AM
But the Bills Did Sign two CBs so whats your Point: CB Duane Coleman, CB Reggie Lewis,......they are not 3rd rounders :roflmao:

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:15 AM
they are not 3rd rounders :roflmao:

hypocrite.

You just argued that there was no one in the third round who would be better than Youboty, and now you're trying to say that UDFA's are enough.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:18 AM
hypocrite.

You just argued that there was no one in the third round who would be better than Youboty, and now you're trying to say that UDFA's are enough.
Haha! Lack of comprehension. where did I say they were enough?

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Haha! Lack of comprehension. where did I say they were enough? I dare you.

you laughed that the fact that they were not third rounders, which implies criticism of my argument that they wouldn't be good enough because they weren't taken in the third round.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:24 AM
you laughed that the fact that they were not third rounders, which implies criticism of my argument that they wouldn't be good enough because they weren't taken in the third round.
oh now I get it. Must be from your 7 years of education about reading into peoples post. get a refund. you're way off.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:25 AM
oh now I get it. Must be from your 7 years of education about reading into peoples post. get a refund. you're way off.

so then why exactly were you laughing at the fact that they weren't 3rd rounders, smart ass?

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:28 AM
so then why exactly were you laughing at the fact that they weren't 3rd rounders, smart ass?
because you're whining about not grabbing a 3rd rd cb in a weak draft class and you'll especially whine about those undrafted players. Either ways you'll find something to whine about.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:32 AM
because you're whining about not grabbing a 3rd rd cb in a weak draft class and you'll especially whine about those undrafted players. Either ways you'll find something to whine about.

FINDING something to ***** about? Yeah, an obvious hole at a key defensive position is really working hard to FIND something to ***** about. BTW I didn't start this thread- I'm not the only one who sees a serious problem here.

And since when are UDFA's as good as third round draft picks? Trying to address a key defensive hole with nothing but UDFA's (who probably won't even make the team) is just asking for losses.

Dr. Lecter
05-08-2007, 10:41 AM

Provide names and scouting data onthese CB that made so much sense.

Reaching is never a good idea.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:41 AM
FINDING something to ***** about? Yeah, an obvious hole at a key defensive position is really working hard to FIND something to ***** about. BTW I didn't start this thread- I'm not the only one who sees a serious problem here.

And since when are UDFA's as good as third round draft picks? Trying to address a key defensive hole with nothing but UDFA's (who probably won't even make the team) is just asking for losses.

you're still whining about our coaches not adressing our problems with a weak cb talent in this years draft. If you can't see that, not my problem.

Marv has addressed everything he said he would address when last season ended except with the cb and I have no doubt he will still be on the lookout. If he and our scouts didn't think Hughes or anyone left in the 3rd rd. had the talent to do so, I don't have a problem especially since that 3rd was used to solidify the qb postion for years to come.

I don't have a problem addressing it now since some people say that the qb position takes time to learn. I wonder who said that? :huh:

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:47 AM
you're still whining about our coaches not adressing our problems with a weak cb talent in this years draft. If you can't see that, not my problem.

Marv has addressed everything he said he would address when last season ended except with the cb and I have no doubt he will still be on the lookout. If he and our scouts didn't think Hughes or anyone left in the 3rd rd. had the talent to do so, I don't have a problem especially since that 3rd was used to solidify the qb postion for years to come.

I don't have a problem addressing it now since some people say that the qb position takes time to learn. I wonder who said that? :huh:

you're downplaying the opportunity cost of not taking a CB, or even LB depth, or some other position that's more important. If you can't see that Polian, whose team runs a similar defensive scheme, took a CB right after us, not my problem- I can't force you to see that this draft isn't as weak at CB as you're making it sound because you want to defend Marv.

And even if you're right about QB being solidified (which it's not and it wouldn't help much even if it was) and the draft being weak at CB (which it wasn't), it still doesn't change the fact that our CB situation sucks.

Dr. Lecter
05-08-2007, 10:48 AM
you're downplaying the opportunity cost of not taking a CB, or even LB depth, or some other position that's more important. If you can't see that Polian, whose team runs a similar defensive scheme, took a CB right after us, not my problem- I can't force you to see that this draft isn't as weak at CB as you're making it sound because you want to defend Marv.

And even if you're right about QB being solidified (which it's not and it wouldn't help much even if it was) and the draft being weak at CB (which it wasn't), it still doesn't change the fact that our CB situation sucks.

In one post you say Youboty is unknown, now you say he sucks.

It is not a fact. It is your opinion and an unknown.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Like I said, Poilan has the luxury because his qb position is stable. I don't have a problem not drafting a 3rd cb in a weak class in exchange for stabilizing our qb for years to come. We can find a cb that would be better than Hughes. I'm almost sure he's already on the team.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
In one post you say Youboty is unknown, now you say he sucks.

It is not a fact. It is your opinion and an unknown.

Fact: One of our CB's is completely unknown. Fact: One of our CB's has struggled in two of his 3 seasons at CB (McGee- he even got benched last year so don't try to tell me that this is an opinion). Fact: One of our CB's has been playing in the league for 7 YEARS and has ZERO interceptions.

I'd hate to know you define "sucks" because that's pretty bleak.

And I never said Youboty sucks- I said the CB situation as a whole sucks. Don't spin my words.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Like I said, Poilan has the luxury because his qb position is stable. I don't have a problem not drafting a 3rd cb in a weak class in exchange for stabilizing our qb for years to come. We can find a cb that would be better than Hughes. I'm almost sure he's already on the team.

and if he's not already on this team? Or if he gets injured and we have to start Greer at nickel?

DraftBoy
05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Provide names and scouting data onthese CB that made so much sense.

Reaching is never a good idea.

3rd Round-Im not even going to go with thobvious choice of Daymeion Hughes but rather say we could of taken a guy who was falling and arguably had 1st Round talent in Tanard Jackson of Syracuse. He would of been a steal this late and he went early in the 4th to Tampa.

4th Round-Fred Bennett, Tarrelle Brown, Micheal Coe, CJ Gaddis-All good players with 1 raw prospect in Gaddis. Bennett and Brown could of provided great depth imo, and Wright was a questionable pick in the 4th we could of gotten a similar player in the last round or as a UDFA, imo.

6th Round- David Irons, Ryan Smith, Courtney Brown-This pick Im not sure about because some sites list Wendling at CB and some at safety. If he plays CB then it could be a good pick and a real steal, or if he moves Whitner to CB it still gets us depth, but if he just plays S behind Whitner and Ko then we missed on some good value this late.

Honestly I love the idea of Youboty as a starting CB and I think he's going to excel this year, however I think McGee is going to be getting worse and Ive never been sold on him as a starting CB and I thought we should of drafted his replacement. Currently the cupboard is bare and we have to hope that these UDFA show something and that the Wendling situation works itself out.

As for the cop out line "I trust our coaches more than you...blah, blah, blah" All your saying is that you have no real response so instead of intelligently discussing an issue your going to try and hide behind the decision the coaches make. Yes they are more knowledgable, and yes they do much more work than any of us, but they make mistakes, and to say that they know what will come of Youboty is ridiculous. They hope he will play a certain way obviously, but they know no more than we do about what will really happen, so all speculation is fair game. I do think saying he's going to suck bc he was a 3rd round pick is stupid. In all honestly it was really a head scratching draft, and if it works out great, but after a solid 1st rounder, a good 2nd rounder, we really took the path less travelled and didnt get much help for this year.

DraftBoy
05-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Ohh and one last thing, this was not a weak draft class, there were plenty of players at alot of posistions that were very deep that included LB, and CB, so that argument is a bogus one that was picked from the same "draft experts" that you all love to give a good ribbing to but you believe them on this?

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 11:33 AM
and if he's not already on this team? Or if he gets injured and we have to start Greer at nickel?
If he's not, then I doubt that draft pick would've been the answer anyways.

BillsFever21
05-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I absolutley disagree.

I do agree about RB and LB being needs 1-2 and were rightfully addressed in the first two picks, but CB was a much bigger need than a 2nd or 3rd string QB, and Daymeion Hughes was sitting there. ON top of that, Polian takes him right after us, which almost guarentees he's going to be a good player.

You should know by know that Marv Levy is better then Bill Polian. As you have heard around here many times, Marv Levy built our team back in the 90's.

They are always talking about how Marv did this and did that when it meant to building the team. I don't think Polian was ever mentioned.

BillsFever21
05-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Don't tire out your fingers and take the chance of developing carpal tunnel syndrome arguing with this guy. He finds the silver lining in every move made and I have not once heard a move made by the Bills that he didn't think was great.

How anybody could think a backup rookie QB signed to a 3 or 4(if lucky) year contract that would not even be ready to play for at least a couple years would be a better option then drafting a LB when we have zero depth or a CB when we are questionable at that position and when our team still isn't very good is, well, being a homer. That is a move somebody like the Ravens or Patriots which have little holes on their team could afford to make.

He always wants everybody to "prove" otherwise with every move so far(even with the many that hasn't turned out good) but is only defense to proof so far has only been because Marv thought so. Even if other successful GM's didn't think so it didn't matter. Marv is the best in the league.

3rd Round-Im not even going to go with thobvious choice of Daymeion Hughes but rather say we could of taken a guy who was falling and arguably had 1st Round talent in Tanard Jackson of Syracuse. He would of been a steal this late and he went early in the 4th to Tampa.

4th Round-Fred Bennett, Tarrelle Brown, Micheal Coe, CJ Gaddis-All good players with 1 raw prospect in Gaddis. Bennett and Brown could of provided great depth imo, and Wright was a questionable pick in the 4th we could of gotten a similar player in the last round or as a UDFA, imo.

6th Round- David Irons, Ryan Smith, Courtney Brown-This pick Im not sure about because some sites list Wendling at CB and some at safety. If he plays CB then it could be a good pick and a real steal, or if he moves Whitner to CB it still gets us depth, but if he just plays S behind Whitner and Ko then we missed on some good value this late.

Honestly I love the idea of Youboty as a starting CB and I think he's going to excel this year, however I think McGee is going to be getting worse and Ive never been sold on him as a starting CB and I thought we should of drafted his replacement. Currently the cupboard is bare and we have to hope that these UDFA show something and that the Wendling situation works itself out.

As for the cop out line "I trust our coaches more than you...blah, blah, blah" All your saying is that you have no real response so instead of intelligently discussing an issue your going to try and hide behind the decision the coaches make. Yes they are more knowledgable, and yes they do much more work than any of us, but they make mistakes, and to say that they know what will come of Youboty is ridiculous. They hope he will play a certain way obviously, but they know no more than we do about what will really happen, so all speculation is fair game. I do think saying he's going to suck bc he was a 3rd round pick is stupid. In all honestly it was really a head scratching draft, and if it works out great, but after a solid 1st rounder, a good 2nd rounder, we really took the path less travelled and didnt get much help for this year.

Night Train
05-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Everyone has a different view of the team, convinced they are dead right on roster strengths at certain positions.

I think we could use another CB but picking one in the first 2 rounds would have been foolish with our obvious needs for immediate starters at RB and MLB.

So we could have drafted one in round 3. We did, in 2006.

We all know his story but this is a new year, he's under contract and working out. Thomas and Greers' signing should have signaled CB wasn't going to be a big priority on Day 1. Day 2 is situational guys who may start in 2-3 years, like McGee eventually did.

So I look for some vets to lose out to young rookies and the Bills to sign one before opening day. But I'm not baffled by any draft pick after our top 2, since none are really bad picks. Edwards could be our starter in a year or two if Losman doesn't have a satisfactory 2007 to warrant an extension. Wright could be our short yardage guy, which we badly need. We were short a safety. The TE is an H-Back type who could be the next best thing after Royal. Our other TE's have shown little.

Leon Hall or Chris Houston were going to save our season, fresh out of college. Yeah...sure.

Keep perpetuating the hysteria.

OpIv37
05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Everyone has a different view of the team, convinced they are dead right on roster strengths at certain positions.

I think we could use another CB but picking one in the first 2 rounds would have been foolish with our obvious needs for immediate starters at RB and MLB.

So we could have drafted one in round 3. We did, in 2006.

We all know his story but this is a new year, he's under contract and working out. Thomas and Greers' signing should have signaled CB wasn't going to be a big priority on Day 1. Day 2 is situational guys who may start in 2-3 years, like McGee eventually did.

So I look for some vets to lose out to young rookies and the Bills to sign one before opening day. But I'm not baffled by any draft pick after our top 2, since none are really bad picks. Edwards could be our starter in a year or two if Losman doesn't have a satisfactory 2007 to warrant an extension. Wright could be our short yardage guy, which we badly need. We were short a safety. The TE is an H-Back type who could be the next best thing after Royal. Our other TE's have shown little.

Leon Hall or Chris Houston were going to save our season, fresh out of college. Yeah...sure.

Keep perpetuating the hysteria.

the first two moves were fine- we addressed the highest priority.

As far as vets losing out- what vets? we have NONE left. Our only vets on D are on the DL, which is pretty much set (unfortunately) and McGee who can't lose out to a rookie because, well, we didn't draft one.

As far as Youboty, well, he's still a question mark. And even if we drafted someone in the 3rd who couldn't beat out Youboty in camp, at leas we'd have some depth. McGee himself is questionable and there is always the chance of injury even if he plays well.

While our backup QB and RB position were far from perfect in the 3rd and 4th rounds, CB and LB were definitely worse. And do we really need a 4th round power RB and a 7th round H back? The difference is minimal.

Anyway I don't really care about the 6th and 7th round- at that point it's highly unlikely that you're gonna fill holes- the goal is to find whoever is most likely to contribute. But that's not true in the 3rd and 4th round.

and the BEST case scenario with Edwards is that he'll be ready in 2-3 years. The chances of him being #2 on the roster this year are slim and the chances of him being a viable starter if JP doesn't work out are even slimmer.

I agree that Leon Hall wouldn't help and Houston at 12 would have been terrible value, but I don't see the logic in picking a guy who will DEFINITELY be on the bench when we could have had Hughes or Jackson to at least compete for the spot.

I don't know why everyone is so convinced that Youboty is so much better than these guys when he couldn't even dress last year. It takes a lot of homerism to assume Youboty is the answer without any evidence. Maybe he is- maybe he's not- what's the problem with getting a Plan B in case he's not?

Earthquake Enyart
05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Houston was sitting there for the taking in round 2.

I was disappointed that they gave up one of the 3's. We have too many holes.