PDA

View Full Version : Colts Release Strongside LB

mikemac2001
05-08-2007, 11:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2863714

Dont know much about him but might be worth a look

Mudflap1
05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Couldn't hurt to take a look at a Cover 2 LB for depth...

Jon

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
he'd probably be worth 850k for depth.

mikemac2001
05-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Reading it looks like he was bad againist the run but for depth and our dline is a little bigger (not better) but bigger then the colts he might help out

patmoran2006
05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Per Chris Brown:

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 12:31 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1406)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LB GARDNER RELEASED: The Colts released linebacker Gilbert Gardner, a former starter, today despite tendering him a qualifying offer earlier this offseason. I'd definitely take a look at this guy. He's young (25), he's familiar with Buffalo's system and he has had some production, although the ESPN.com writeup on Gardner's history was pretty critical. Still even as a depth player he'd be a good addition in my opinion. I thought the Bills would have drafted two linebackers in the draft. They only got one. If they bring this guy in and sign him, I think it would be a pretty good answer to addressing that position further. ---

Mr. Miyagi
05-08-2007, 11:53 AM
But in the first 13 games, 12 of which he started, Gardner struggled and so did the Colts' defense, the problems primarily manifested in an inability to stop the run. Gardner was often overpowered at the point of attack and, while his tackle numbers looked good on paper, he was not effective on the field.
He sucked at Cover 2. That's why he got canned. No thanks.

billsburgh
05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
I was under the impression that if Bill Polian drafted someone in the 3rd round that they were destined for greatness. or so I've read recently.

bigbub2352
05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
interesting, but is he better than what we got on the roster right now as per depth, i am all for adding a Vet with skills, but maybe not someone who was benched for playing the scheme we are curently trying to run, we will have to see how this pans out, but we got a LBer on the PS Manning from Mich, who i think will surprise in camp this year

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I was under the impression that if Bill Polian drafted someone in the 3rd round that they were destined for greatness. or so I've read recently.

every draft pick is a gamble but we should be gambling on positions of obvious need rather than picking players who aren't going to do a damn thing for us this year.

camelcowboy
05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Picking Gardner for depth is a no brainer, at 25 with expierence in the system maybe there is a chance of him having some upside.

The Spaz
05-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Can't hurt to give him a look.

Jan Reimers
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
The Bills have played against this guy and, I'm sure, studied a lot of film on him. They should know enough about him to make an intelligent decision on whether or not to bring him in.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 12:45 PM
The Bills have played against this guy and, I'm sure, studied a lot of film on him. They should know enough about him to make an intelligent decision on whether or not to bring him in.

Stamer, Haggan, Wire, DiGiorgio.

Is he better than any one of those guys? All they need to do is look at enough film to answer that question. If the answer is yes, he should be brought into camp at the very least. He's cheap and his salary won't hurt our cap situation if he does make the team.

Philagape
05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Take a flyer. There's zero risk here. If he sucks, we'll cut him.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Stamer is no longer a Buffalo Bill, is he?

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Stamer is no longer a Buffalo Bill, is he?
he's still here but he was on IR most of last season-

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=33440

I thought he was gone too before someone on here corrected me.

madness
05-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Small and slow (6'1 229, 4.79 40) but plays faster then his 40 time. One of his strengths coming out of college was his work ethic but that seemed to be part of the equation on why the Colts let him go. Knows the intangibles of the game, can play sideline to sideline but gets eaten up by blockers. He's also a solid special teamer.

Definitely a great pickup for depth which would push our current guys but nothing more then that. He seems to me to be a poor man's Fletcher.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
he'd probably be worth 850k for depth..

every draft pick is a gamble but we should be gambling on positions of obvious need rather than picking players who aren't going to do a damn thing for us this year.

Like this guy will be doing a damn thing for us this year? Just like that 3rd draft pick he won't be dong anything for us.

At least Stamer and Haggan are PROVEN good special teamers.

Dr. Lecter
05-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Sign for the minimum or not at all.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Like this guy will be doing a damn thing for us this year? At least Stamer and Haggan are good special teamers.

do you know for a fact that he's not? Do you really think we're going to make it through a whole season without a single LB injury? Crowell, Spikes and Ellison all got injured last year and Crowell and Spikes both got injured the year before that.

And we wouldn't have to cut Stamer or Haggan to keep him- we could keep an extra LB instead of some other position, we could cut DiGiorgio or Wire, etc.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
do you know for a fact that he's not? Do you really think we're going to make it through a whole season without a single LB injury? Crowell, Spikes and Ellison all got injured last year and Crowell and Spikes both got injured the year before that.

And we wouldn't have to cut Stamer or Haggan to keep him- we could keep an extra LB instead of some other position, we could cut DiGiorgio or Wire, etc.

Between him Poz , Crowell, Ellison? He won't!!!!

Funny thing is, you complain about us drafting Edwards because he won't do anything for us this year but you're all for bringing in a guy who's likely not going to do anything for us either? I doubt he's gonna unseat even Wire.

I'd rather bring in a cb from June 1 cuts for a roster spot at camp :D

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Between him Poz , Crowell, Ellison? He won't!!!!

Funny thing is, you complain about us drafting Edwards because he won't do anything for us this year but you're all for bringing in a guy who's likely not going to do anything for us either? I doubt he's gonna unseat even Wire.

I'd rather bring in a cb from June 1 cuts for a roster spot at camp :D

If it's between him and a CB I'd rather take the CB, but there's a good chance we could do both.

Gardner would be highly unlikely to unseat Poz, Crowell or Ellison as a starter, but I could definitely see him beating out Wire or Stamer for depth (although Wire seems like he has a guaranteed roster spot every damn year because of S/T).

Night Train
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Gardner was often overpowered at the point of attack

Doesn't sound like a good strongside LB to me. Must get washed out easily on sweeps to his side.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 01:55 PM
If it's between him and a CB I'd rather take the CB, but there's a good chance we could do both.

Gardner would be highly unlikely to unseat Poz, Crowell or Ellison as a starter, but I could definitely see him beating out Wire or Stamer for depth (although Wire seems like he has a guaranteed roster spot every damn year because of S/T).
Nope. Prior to Stamer going down to an injury he was doing very well at camp in the cover 2. The ST unit is important, I'd still keep Stamer and Haggan over Gardner. I know it sounds bad, but there's also Wire and Digiorgio.Continuity is important especially in the ST unit.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Nope. Prior to Stamer going down to an injury he was doing very well at camp in the cover 2. The ST unit is important, I'd still keep Stamer and Haggan over Gardner. I know it sounds bad, but there's also Wire and Digiorgio.Continuity is important especially in the ST unit.

but not as important as being solid at LB. I'm still scared ****less of an injury. What if Poz gets injured in Preseason and Stamer or Haggan has to start? that's a scary thought.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
but not as important as being solid at LB. I'm still scared ****less of an injury. What if Poz gets injured in Preseason and Stamer or Haggan has to start? that's a scary thought.
It's pretty obvious Grdner is not solid in the cover 2 either (and we know that Pioli knows talent , right? ),so I'll take them both over Gardner.

OpIv37
05-08-2007, 02:09 PM
It's pretty obvious Grdner is not solid in the cover 2 either (and we know that Pioli knows talent , right? ),so I'll take them both over Gardner.

You mean Polian? Pioli's in NE.

You could be right but I'd rather see them in camp/preseason first.

madness
05-08-2007, 02:13 PM

I agree, it seems like we've had the same depth at LB forever. Time to get some new blood in there and shake things up. Everything has to be earned with this staff so it doesn't hurt to bring Gardner in at all. Competition will sort everything out and low man walks. Ellison and DiGiorgio are now second year players and should be picking it up another level. I could see Gardner coming in possibly taking Stamer's(who turns 30) spot considering he is a good special teamer also. Yes, Stamer's play increased in the Cover 2 but the fact is, Gardner was at least a starter in the same defense for some time and is 5 years younger.

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 02:13 PM
You mean Polian? Pioli's in NE.

You could be right but I'd rather see them in camp/preseason first.
:oops:

Mad Bomber
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
He doesn't sound like anything great, but we should at least have a look at him.

mikemac2001
05-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Think take a look at him i dont see how its gonna hurt the team...depth and competition doesnt hurt a team...still think need to add LB and CB before Camp

justasportsfan
05-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I guess it wouldn't hurt. If we brought in Manny Wrigt , might as well.

Besides, after we all sign our rookie UFA we will still be at 75 when the maximum roster spot is 80.

patmoran2006
05-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Gardner was often overpowered at the point of attack

Doesn't sound like a good strongside LB to me. Must get washed out easily on sweeps to his side.
Without getting sarcastic about it, that sounds pretty much like ALL of our current LB's.

YardRat
05-09-2007, 06:13 AM
He'd be worth a look at the minimum. We could use a couple more warm bodies at LB and CB going into training camp.

Jan Reimers
05-09-2007, 07:03 AM
I guess it wouldn't hurt. If we brought in Manny Wrigt , might as well.

Besides, after we all sign our rookie UFA we will still be at 75 when the maximum roster spot is 80.
justa, I think with our 7 draft picks, 15 UDFAs, Wright and Scobey, we're pushing our 85 man roster limit.

madness
05-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Titans claim LB Gardner

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 10:23 AM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1407)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>TITANS CLAIM LB GARDNER: A day after being waived by the Colts, LB Gilbert Gardner was claimed off waivers by Tennessee. I really was thinking the Bills would take a crack at him in light of his familiarity with the defensive system, but perhaps his history of injuries was a deterrent, not to mention his benching last season due to poor run defense performance. The order in which teams get to make waiver claims this time of year is based on the draft order. --- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

patmoran2006
05-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Well that means we had a crack at him first and didnt want him. I suppose it doesnt really matter anyway.

Our LB's are going to be paper thin this year whether we sign a scrub FA or not.

raphael120
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Would he have been better than Stamer/Haggans/Wire? Who knows, but it's depth, and it doesn't matter at this point. We have a better chance at that URFA Thaddeus Washington guy making more of an impact than this dude.

justasportsfan
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
justa, I think with our 7 draft picks, 15 UDFAs, Wright and Scobey, we're pushing our 85 man roster limit.
:idunno:

May 7, 2007 Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 12:33 PM ET | Link

ROSTER LIMIT: For those keeping score, the NFL roster limit right now is 80 players. When all of the Bills undrafted free agents are signed Buffalo will have 75 players on their roster. Their draft picks (7) and NFL Europe players (3) do not count toward the 80-man roster. The draft picks will count after they sign their contracts at which point roster moves will have to be made if none had been made already. ---

Jan Reimers
05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks, justa, I didn't realize they had reduced the roster to 80. When I counted this morning, I got 83 including Manny Wright, Scobey, our 15 UDFAs and our 7 draft picks, but not the three NFLE guys.

That would give us "officially" 76 right now, subtracting our 7 draft picks from my count. Funny thing though, M. Wright's name was not on there, which would tie back to Brown's number of 75. Wonder if he hasn't actually been signed yet.