PDA

View Full Version : So... how do we stop Ottawa's top line?

BlackMetalNinja
05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
To me, that's really the main thing we need to key on. Almost all their scoring comes from that one line, and they all torched us on the regular earlier this year.

Heatley, Spezza, and Alfredsson have 37 points between them in 10 games so far in the playoffs. They had 39 combined points in 8 games (Spezza only played in 7) against us in the regular season... While the Sens do have balanced scoring (they are the only team that has had more players score goals then us in the playoffs), it's clear that we need to hold this line in check...

So my question is, what do we do? I honestly don't know and want to hear what others think. Certainly we try to have Lydman and Tallinder on the ice as much as possible against them, but what group of forwards do we match up with them when we have the chance?

I think we can rattle Emery and get some cheap goals, which is necessary come playoffs, but we can't let this line do the same thing to Miller. And before you say "Miller is a far superior goaltender to Emery"... that may be so, but his stats against Ottawa this year say different.

5 games played, 3 started... 1-4 record, 18 goals given up, 4.32 GAA and a .882 Save %.... not even close to stunning.

I am confident in this team, and I think we are the better team and will win this series, but we'll have a much easier time doing so if we find a way to solve Ottawa's top line. So what do we do guys?

YoungMoney
05-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Match them up with Drury, Zubes and keep it in thier zone along the boards, where they got to fight with Zubrus (they'll get tired) and besides Neil no one is close to as physical as guys like Gaustad, Mair, Zubes.

BlackMetalNinja
05-09-2007, 04:01 PM
So is everybody trying to ignore this, or does nobody else really have any suggestions?

shelby
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
We can't be afraid to get physical. Check the :curse: out of them.

SabreEleven
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
So is everybody trying to ignore this, or does nobody else really have any suggestions?

I'm going to go with Ignore.

Dozerdog
05-09-2007, 06:24 PM
This is what you do...... Nothing.

Play your game. Lindy should just keep rolling those 4 lines regardless who's out there.

The Rangers were successful because when the game was tied or they had a lead, they would literally collapse everyone into their own zone. That, and playing on slush. It was effective in keeping the Sabres potent offense in check, but That was also their downfall.

You can't build a lead with 4 guys playing defense. Once the Sabres got a lead and NY tried to play a little more open to catch up- their doors were blown off. 2-3-4 goals in 10 minute or less spans.

With Ottawa, I think they will try to keep up with the Sabres- because they have a line or two that can. However, our depth and ability to put deadly speed vs their 3rd and 4th lines will be their downfall. The ice in this series will be a lot better, so the game tempo will ratchet up as well.

On top of that, I'm confient Miller can save our bacon with timely stops on some of the turnovers that will undoubtedly happen. Can Emery pull a few out of his ass? He gives up rebounds and unless he's got defensemen clearing them, he's as good as done.

I see the Sabres winning in 6 - Splitting in B-LO, splitting in OTT, winning a gritty game 5 at home, then winning a clutch game on the road to wrap it up.
I don't see too many 2-1 games in this series. Bet the overs

BlackMetalNinja
05-09-2007, 08:47 PM
This is what you do...... Nothing.

Play your game. Lindy should just keep rolling those 4 lines regardless who's out there.

The Rangers were successful because when the game was tied or they had a lead, they would literally collapse everyone into their own zone. That, and playing on slush. It was effective in keeping the Sabres potent offense in check, but That was also their downfall.

You can't build a lead with 4 guys playing defense. Once the Sabres got a lead and NY tried to play a little more open to catch up- their doors were blown off. 2-3-4 goals in 10 minute or less spans.

With Ottawa, I think they will try to keep up with the Sabres- because they have a line or two that can. However, our depth and ability to put deadly speed vs their 3rd and 4th lines will be their downfall. The ice in this series will be a lot better, so the game tempo will ratchet up as well.

On top of that, I'm confient Miller can save our bacon with timely stops on some of the turnovers that will undoubtedly happen. Can Emery pull a few out of his ass? He gives up rebounds and unless he's got defensemen clearing them, he's as good as done.

I see the Sabres winning in 6 - Splitting in B-LO, splitting in OTT, winning a gritty game 5 at home, then winning a clutch game on the road to wrap it up.
I don't see too many 2-1 games in this series. Bet the overs

Very good answer, and I'd tend to agree with this... I don't like getting caught up with trying to match up our forward lines. I'm just hoping Miller does in fact save our butts a few times. I also see high scoring face paced games being the norm for the series.

Bill Brasky
05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
i saw lydman play like absolute crap a couple times in the rangers series alone. if he does it again this series we are more than screwed.

i don't think there's much they can do. miller needs to bring his A game. plain and simple.

Mitchy moo
05-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Keep the puck deep in Ottawa's end while these guys are on the ice and attack / take chances when they get off of it, real hard strategy right? <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Ebenezer
05-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Get the judge to put the drunk driver back behind bars where he belongs...

Dr. Lecter
05-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Eb, he was not drunk.

He was speeding and driving carelessly, but was not drunk.

Ebenezer
05-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Eb, he was not drunk.

He was speeding and driving carelessly, but was not drunk.
should he still not be in jail??

Dr. Lecter
05-10-2007, 07:43 AM
should he still not be in jail??

Perhaps.

But from everything I read the sentence was fairly typical of a non-alcohol related accident, especially with the family of the deceased asking for forgivness. If that is the case, the answer is no.

don137
05-10-2007, 07:51 AM
First of all do not let these guys get on the power play...Special teams are the achilles heel of this team. 5 on 5 the Sabres won't lose.
I agree with putting Drury and Zubruis out there against the top line. Drury is awesome at faceoffs and that is critical to controlling the puck after a faceoff. With Zubruis you need work the body in the corner. They do not like physical play.
In a nutshell you can still play your game but just match up against their top line with our better face off guy and physical skilled player and stay out of the penalty box.