PDA

View Full Version : One Thing I Want To See More Of This Year

gr8slayer
05-09-2007, 08:57 AM
I had the day off and no finals yesterday so I figured I'd throw in some games and watch some film. I decided that one thing we don't see enough of is Losman take off with the ball. More times than I can count he had wide open field for about ten yards, but he ended up throwing the ball away or making a bad throw all together.

When he got here we were sold on the fact that he was a great athlete with a big arm. We've seen the arm, now where's all the athleticism?

Anyway, just a random thought.

Also, the reason Tripplett didn't do anything last year was because he was double teamed every freaking play.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I think this year, if all goes as planned, they will give JP more rope, and let him take off and run a bit more.

They had to reign him in, because he had a case of the happy feet, but now that he has tasted some success passing from the pocket, they can let him improvise a bit more without fear that he will revert to prior form.

Pinkerton Security
05-09-2007, 09:12 AM
I think this year, if all goes as planned, they will give JP more rope, and let him take off and run a bit more.

They had to reign him in, because he had a case of the happy feet, but now that he has tasted some success passing from the pocket, they can let him improvise a bit more without fear that he will revert to prior form.

agreed, i remember reading articles of how Fairchild told him to go thru his progressions on every play and wanted him to learn to first be a passing QB. Hopefully, they will make him do less of it because you're right gr8, JP's got some wheels. I remember one commentator, even though we know how much they know, said that he was the fastest QB in the nfl behind vick. While idk if it is correct, he is pretty mobile and can certainly make plays with his feet. a 3 yard run is better than a throw away.

justasportsfan
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
He was made to stay in the pocket and learn to be a pocket passer. The year before, Mualrkey let him take off and it set him back as far his pocket awareness is concerned.

I'd rather he stay in the pocket. He's too daring that he might end up hurting himself. I don't want him to turn into a Flutie. Besides, if he's taking off more often, that could mean our OL is breaking down and our wr's can't get open. So IMO , no I don't want to see him take off with the ball.

justasportsfan
05-09-2007, 09:20 AM
agreed, i remember reading articles of how Fairchild told him to go thru his progressions on every play and wanted him to learn to first be a passing QB. Hopefully, they will make him do less of it because you're right gr8, JP's got some wheels. I remember one commentator, even though we know how much they know, said that he was the fastest QB in the nfl behind vick. While idk if it is correct, he is pretty mobile and can certainly make plays with his feet. a 3 yard run is better than a throw away.

During last years camp, even when 2-3 defenders would whisk by him in what would've been sacks, he was made to finish and make a throw. This is why he would tend to hold on to the ball early in the season. He got used to not getting sacked at camp.

OpIv37
05-09-2007, 10:28 AM
he needs to take off more, but he needs to be more selective when he does it.

It was obvious last year- he was hardly running at all, but if we were down late in the fourth, you could definitely see the "**** it, I need to do SOMETHING to win this game" mentality override thet coach's instructions. He ran a lot more at the end of games.

gr8slayer
05-09-2007, 10:44 AM
One game in particular that I thought he could have fun A LOT more was the Houston game. Having been there I could clearly see that the Texans weren't worried about him because they often sent four guys and dropped the LB's back into coverage, there were ample opportunities to take off for 5+ yards.

patmoran2006
05-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I agree about Losman. I think the staff needs to coach more up to his strengths, they did a better job as the season wore on.

As for Tripplett, I was wrong about him. The reason why he wasn't effective was because he didnt have Freeney next to him getting double and tripled team every play. He's overated. Sorry.

I look for McCargo to have a much bigger presence and I hope Darwin Walker turns out to be good. What you saw last year with Tripplett is what you will get. A good play on occasion, maybe a quarter. But little consistency.