• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungMoney
    ~ Greatest Rapper Alive ~
    • May 2007

17 Game Season

Americans always seem to want more pro football. Yet it's the folks abroad who might be getting an extra taste of the NFL in the future.
    Link
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: 17 Game Season

and this would be the first step towards international expansion, which means Toronto, which is extremely bad for Buffalo.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

Here's my plan. Go to 18 games. Have expanded rosters in the first two games like preseason. Have the first 2 games be interconference (the games that mean the least).

It would be great for the Bills to play a home game on Labor Day weekend. An interconference game may be a harder sell, but people like me who moved away might make the trek if I could had the next Monday off. It could be a big homecoming.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

also the 17 game thing would be one more way for the NFL to screw the Bills. We'd still get our 8 home games, but I get the feeling that our "home" game against the Patriots or Dolphins would end up in an international location where the fans would NOT be on our side.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          also the 17 game thing would be one more way for the NFL to screw the Bills. We'd still get our 8 home games, but I get the feeling that our "home" game against the Patriots or Dolphins would end up in an international location where the fans would NOT be on our side.
          Ralph will be more than happy to pick up the gate when they sell 100,000 tickets in Wembley Stadium.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
            • Jan 2004

this is overkill, IMO.

i could see where they might make the Bills "international" game a yearly occurance in Toronto.

Comment

• Generalissimus Gibby
              Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
              • Jun 2006

and this would be the first step towards international expansion, which means Toronto, which is extremely bad for Buffalo.
              Why Toronto and not Vancouver? BC place is a hell of a lot more NFL ready than the Skydome, but yes if Toronto gets a franchise it is bad news for us. Though, truth be told I think we'd see Jacksonville relocating there way before we would. That and if they did a division realignment where we got Buffalo, Toronto, Cleveland, and Pittsburg would be a hell of a rivalry filled division.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

What pro sports have lasted long in canada? Grizzlies left. hockeys even left Canada.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by thenewfreshness
                  Why Toronto and not Vancouver? BC place is a hell of a lot more NFL ready than the Skydome, but yes if Toronto gets a franchise it is bad news for us. Though, truth be told I think we'd see Jacksonville relocating there way before we would. That and if they did a division realignment where we got Buffalo, Toronto, Cleveland, and Pittsburg would be a hell of a rivalry filled division.

Toronto is a hell of a lot bigger- that's the main reason.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Generalissimus Gibby
                    Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
                    • Jun 2006

I agree with what OP says. So what I would propose is that each team would play one off shore game a year, but to ensure there is no real home bias and to reduce playoff implications to any more than won/lost any game held at the neutral site should be interconference, and against an opponent that was not a common opponent to other teams in the division

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                      What pro sports have lasted long in canada? Grizzlies left. hockeys even left Canada.
                      Well, the Raptors, Leafs and Blue Jays are doing just fine. Canada in general has not been very good at supporting pro sports teams in American leagues but Toronto is definitely the exception.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Well, the Raptors, Leafs and Blue Jays are doing just fine. Canada in general has not been very good at supporting pro sports teams in American leagues but Toronto is definitely the exception.
                        People who are Bills fans in the area are both from Buffalo and Canada and I don't see th eloyal ones switching to be a Toronto fan if in fact they do get a team. Also from watching some games the Blue Jays stadium looks pretty dead most of the time IMO.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                          People who are Bills fans in the area are both from Buffalo and Canada and I don't see th eloyal ones switching to be a Toronto fan if in fact they do get a team. Also from watching some games the Blue Jays stadium looks pretty dead most of the time IMO.
                          there is a lot more money in Toronto for luxury boxes, partnership deals, etc than in Buffalo. Also, once they start requiring passports to cross the border, Canadian fans will be more likely to switch.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Throne Logic
                            Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                            • Aug 2002

Just for a laugh, put on the Red Sox / Blue Jays game on tonight. The Sox are one of the biggest road draws for teams. Opposing owners love when the Sox and Yankees come to town because they dramatically increase ticket sales. That said, there were so many empty seats in that dome over the past two nights it is laughable. These were interdivision games that featured Beckett going for his 7th win and Matsuzaka vs. another Japanese born pitcher.

Canadian teams have a harder time making a profit because they play by the same rules in an economy that comes at a 20% discount. It won't be easy for an NFL team to launch north of the border.
                            Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                              Just for a laugh, put on the Red Sox / Blue Jays game on tonight. The Sox are one of the biggest road draws for teams. Opposing owners love when the Sox and Yankees come to town because they dramatically increase ticket sales. That said, there were so many empty seats in that dome over the past two nights it is laughable. These were interdivision games that featured Beckett going for his 7th win and Matsuzaka vs. another Japanese born pitcher.

Canadian teams have a harder time making a profit because they play by the same rules in an economy that comes at a 20% discount. It won't be easy for an NFL team to launch north of the border.
                              That's what I thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X