PDA

View Full Version : Best defense in AFC East

XNOUGHT
03-13-2003, 07:12 PM
I need some unbiased opinions here (ya right).

Here is my defensive ranking. I will also take into account that Miami doesn't have a defense in December, the 4th quarter, or when playing the Bills.

Talent wise.

Bills
Dolphins
Jets
Pats

I wouldn't call that a defense last year for the Pats. More like a bunch of old guys in a "scheme" concocted by Defensive Guru Bill Belichick. If it wasn't for him, the Pats would be the laughingstock of the division (Dont type it, I already know what you are thinking)

Right now, If Adams signes and the Bills draft a speedy DE(who can play OLB possibly) and a TE, then you guys WILL have the most talented defense in the AFCE. The coaching job needs a little work and players need to play to thier potential (Winfield 0 interceptions, WTF).

Offensively

Jets
Bills
Pats
Squid

You guys take a hit offense wise with Price leaving. Also the emergence of Pennington puts this offense in the top spot with Becht, Coles, Moss, and Chrebet. Curtis would have put up the same numbers as Henry if he was healthy all season long. You guys still have Bledsoe, Moulds, and Reed. But no big time third WR or TE hurts a bit.
The Pats have no running game and cant push a cardboard box on 3-1 so putting teams away will be hard. The Pats will score points off a trick plays and such just like last year and the year before. Miami has Ricky, but they actually went in reverse offensively.

Coaching

Belichick
Edwards
Gregg
Wanny

IMO, Belichick is THE REASON the Pats won the SB(Brady helped).
His schemes and playcalling where the reason the Rams were shut down, and his track record vs QB's like Bledsoe, Manning, Kordell, Vinny, and Jay make him the choice(hope I am not sounding like a homer). Edwards comes in second and has had a winning record every season as a head coach. He is smart and does a good job motivating his players. I think Wanny is a little better of a coach the Gregg, but Wanny breaks down in pressure situations unlike Gregg and has had one of the most talented teams around and has done nothing with them.

:feedback:

colin
03-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Is Coles a Jet?

The Jets lost their #1, the Bills lost their #2, and the Bills are young, new to eachother, and getting better.

The Bills have the best O.

Bufftp
03-13-2003, 07:25 PM
your O and D rankings make the Bills the ones to beat in the AFCE. Nice postXNOUGHT :up:

beach2nd
03-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by colin

You would think that, but the Pats actually scored the most points of anyone in the division last year.

ArcticWildMan
Jets D is mighty tough. It also has the advantage of playing togther the past few years.

We may have talent on paper, but it remains to be seen if we can play up to that level.

Until proven differently, Jets have to get the nod for best AFCE defense.

XNOUGHT
Originally posted by colin
Is Coles a Jet?

The Jets lost their #1, the Bills lost their #2, and the Bills are young, new to eachother, and getting better.

Not yet, but you need to take into account how well the Jets played near the end of last year and the fact that thier offense isn't as explosive, but much deeper and more versital with big play Coles and Moss, possesion guys like Becht and Chrebet, and yardage guy Curtis Martin and break away threat Lamont Jordan.

You guys have the hands down best offensive line, but the loss of Price weakens the grade. I will say the line is VERY close but the Jets just squeak by. Event though Reed is talent, he is only in his second year and the Bills lost a pretty solid TE in Remirsma.

Just my opinion anyway. Trust me, I'm not trying to bash anyone.

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 07:29 PM
i think you are selling your defense short..

i hope those rankings are about right..

i love seeing miami at the bottom

colin
03-13-2003, 07:32 PM
I get your points, but with some more turnovers (we were the freaking worst) and better starting postions (again, very close to the worst) that big play run and big play pass O of ours will destroy people. I am very excited because we have not seen what the Bills can do yet.

XNOUGHT
03-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by beach2nd

You would think that, but the Pats actually scored the most points of anyone in the division last year.

Halfback option, defensive touchdown, blocked punt returned for a TD, Brady pass to the endzone.

I really wouldn't call that good offense ;)

:dink: <-------Reminds me of the Patriots offense

4thAndLong
03-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Reimersma didn't do much in his limited role last year, IMO, we're not losing much there.

Price could effect our O, but I think Reed is ready to step in to that role and will be a great one in this league...Still, we need a #3...Charles Johnson is a joke.

ublinkwescore
03-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by beach2nd

If we had a Defense that could actually force some 3 and outs (all season long - not just towards the end of the season), we would have scored the most points in the division.

ublinkwescore
03-13-2003, 10:17 PM
I think that the fact that our D started to come along towards the end of the season is very promising - the jury's still out on Gregg Williams, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him prove himself to be a cream of the crop coach.

I may be being a little too optimistic, but you gotta admit our D did start to clamp down towards the end of the year, after London Fletcher and co. started to get comfortable. Unfortunately it took them like 12 or 13 weeks to get comfortable.

BuffaloRanger
03-13-2003, 11:36 PM
I think because the Pats have the best coach they also have the strongest Def. They made the Bills look silly last year. They picked up some good FAs and have alot of draft picks.

I think I'd give the nod to the Jets O, because the Bills O didn't do much at the end of the year, at the same time the Jets O was rocking. There was a stretch where they had like 6 Offensive TDs in 5 games. They didn't use their TEs enough. I think the Oline can improve, it has no depth. I'm not too worried about losing price though. The Bills will get a replacement almost as good, and with better drive starts due to a stonger Def, they'll score more TDs. So the Bills O might just surpass the Jets O.

Cntrygal
03-14-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT
Miami doesn't have a defense in December, the 4th quarter, or when playing the Bills.

:lol::squish:

Typ0
03-14-2003, 01:25 AM
I don't care what anyone says. The Bills are the all-around best at everything.

LVGrown
03-14-2003, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by XNOUGHT
[B] I will also take into account that Miami doesn't have a defense in December, the 4th quarter, or when playing the Bills.

hehehe, i love this ... i dont care if the fish were to change divisions and we werent to play each other for 10 years, for me personally this will always remain one of the greatest rivalries ever and i will never get tired of the Bills ripping them guys apart. :fishfry: : :gobills: here is to the funnest teams to watch! :drunks:

Erin

BillsFanInMass
03-14-2003, 08:41 AM
yeah the dolphins suck lol