PDA

View Full Version : Cap situation....any predictions for Junes 1st cuts around the NFL?

BILLSROCK1212
05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/thread/1688730.aspx ----i tried to copy and paste it but it didn't come out right....as of now we are a little under $20,000,000 under the cap

With that cap room we should sign Aaron, JP and Lee to contract extension and sign 1 or 2 impact players after June 1st cuts.

Ickybaluky
05-10-2007, 10:54 PM
With that cap room we should sign Aaron, JP and Lee to contract extension and sign 1 or 2 impact players after June 1st cuts.

Impact players?

There likely won't be anyone released. The new CBA allows teams to release players prior to June 1 and still get the cap benefit of pushing the bonus acceleration off a year. With that change, June 2 is no longer a big deal.

bflojohn
05-10-2007, 10:57 PM
For those so inclined, all this exercise consists of is rosters from around the league, and one that identifies ages of players, then find the guys who are 30-34 or there about and make a fairly large dollar amount! Those are the most likely candidates for being cut on June 1st. You can also link draft picks that are picked by various teams, that allows for targeting, by management, of those rostered players that are possibly being replaced. Good luck and God's speed!!

Devin
05-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I wouldnt be worried about signings right much.

Marvs sole purpose in life right now should be to extend current players.

The bills have gotten very bad about keeping our guys.

Night Train
05-11-2007, 04:41 AM
The bills have gotten very bad about keeping our guys.

Huh ?

In the last couple of years...Schobel,Kelsay,Crowell,McGee,Peters and more..Clements was going to test FA no matter what and it proved to be a wise $ decision.

I can see the Bills trying to get Evans signed. Losman needs another year to show more improvement. I do believe they are trying to keep the right players.

I did NOT want to keep McGahee,Fletcher & Spikes, based on performance relative to salary and various other factors that have been discussed ad nauseum.

Pinkerton Security
05-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Heres my prediction for a cut:

TIM ANDERSON!!

what is he doing on our team right now. i suppose he is probably the biggest body we have on the d-line right now, but I cant stand the guy. Get off of our team tim anderson!!

Tatonka
05-11-2007, 07:05 AM
i hope the redskins cut shawn springs, who is scheduled to make 7.2 million this year and refused a pay cut... and we can grab him as insurance.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-11-2007, 07:18 AM
The way that the NFL teams have controlled their caps over the past couple of years, the June 1 cuts aren't the same as they use to be. There aren't the same number and name players cut the way there use to be. A lot of teams are just cutting there players when they want.

patmoran2006
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Just because we may want to extend Lee Evans doesnt mean Evans is going to let it happen.

He's no dummy. Unless our F.O. offers him Top-10 WR money (he deserves it easily) he's not going to extend anything. Not the way the cap is going. if he doesnt get a $50 million payday here he knows in two years he'll get it somewhere else.

I'd also work on extending Schobel as I see that becoming a potential problem as well.

Losman, I wouldnt. I wouldn't mortgage too much on him until we see how he plays this season.

bigbub2352
05-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Just because we may want to extend Lee Evans doesnt mean Evans is going to let it happen.

He's no dummy. Unless our F.O. offers him Top-10 WR money (he deserves it easily) he's not going to extend anything. Not the way the cap is going. if he doesnt get a $50 million payday here he knows in two years he'll get it somewhere else.

I'd also work on extending Schobel as I see that becoming a potential problem as well.

Losman, I wouldnt. I wouldn't mortgage too much on him until we see how he plays this season.
I hate to say it but i agree, it is becoming painfully obvious that our young talent develops here and then leaves when they become FA, check out Clements, Winfeild, etc... i hope we sign him but like u said pat he has to want to!

dannyek71
05-11-2007, 09:18 AM
I hate to say it but i agree, it is becoming painfully obvious that our young talent develops here and then leaves when they become FA, check out Clements, Winfeild, etc... i hope we sign him but like u said pat he has to want to!

Just like the talent we developed in Takeo, London, Dockery, Sam Adams, Milloy, Vincent, L. Walker etc....

OpIv37
05-11-2007, 09:21 AM
after the contract we just gave Chris ****ing Kelsay, there is no way we can afford to extend Schobel right now because by comparison, Schobel deserves (and likely would demand) a much larger contract.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-11-2007, 09:27 AM

#1 our "brain trust" in the front office is operating under a self imposed "cash to the cap" situation, which makes it much less likely we can sign free agents since we won't amoritize signing bonuses.

#2 You don't extend Schoebel at this point, period. He is in the midst of his prime now, but won't be getting any better. He is heading for the downside of his career....why extend him?

#3 Why in the world would you extend Losman? He is perhaps the biggest question mark on this team.

BillsFever21
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/thread/1688730.aspx ----i tried to copy and paste it but it didn't come out right....as of now we are a little under $20,000,000 under the cap

20 million sounds like a lot but it isn't crap with the Bills unique cap theory. Have you been paying attention to the offseason this year?

With the Bills brilliant personal theory of spending cap money that would only get us 1 of them guys. Just look at Chris Kelsay for starters who is costing us 12 million on the cap this year and that should be a good enough hint. We overpaid as it was and half of his contract is being paid out this year.

You sign any one of them guys and right there is 15 million of it. At least a 10 million dollar bonus and that would be cheap and even more then the Bills would probably be willing to dish out. Add on another 3-5 million for the salary for one of them player this year and right there is our cap space at the very minimum.

You must have not been paying attention to anything this offseason if you're shooting for JP, Evans, Peters, Schobel and 1 or 2 FA's after June 1st with 20 million dollars. With 31 other teams that would probably be enough money to sign all of them but not with the Bills. That is only enough to sign one of them.

If we were like 31 other teams then we would be about 45-50 million under the salary cap right now with the exact same players under contract but the Bills are choosing the option of the cheap way out.

All this extra money floating around the league right now and the Bills are spending even less then they did 4 years ago. They are only willing to spend what the league will give them in revenue sharing money towards the cap. As far as any money out of their own pocket goes towards bonues spread out they are not willing to spend. And we wonder why we have not made the playoffs in 7 years and running.

We are spending more then 20 million towards the cap for Kelsay, Dockery and Walker and you think we can get Schobel, JP, Evans, Peters and a couple FA's with 20 million?

If the Bills were a normal team we could afford all the FA's we signed already along with all 4 of our young guns and still have money to spare for next year. Not the Bills though.

You can expect to go into the season about 30 million under the cap every offseason for the near future. With that money we may get a couple 6 million dollar a year players that will count 20+ million of our cap on.

7 million don't even get you crap now in the NFL. We spent 6 million a year on Kelsay with 12.5 career sacks and 5+ million a year on Walker who has never done anything either and gave up 10.5 sacks last year.

For players like Evans, JP at Peters you're looking at 8-11 million a year along with a 12+ million dollar signing bonus at the very least. About 8 million a year for Evans and 10 million or so a year for JP and Peters. Don't even forget about Schobel who is making almost 1/3 less then Kelsay when he is our best player on defense. He will want a new contract. If Kelsay cost us 6 million a year then Schobel will cost us 8+ million a year. With our cap theory 20 million every year might get us 1 of them players along with another 2nd tear player.

With the cap as high as it is and even going up more in the future and all the money the Bills are having GIVEN to them to pay towards the salary cap there should be no excuse. Every other of the 31 teams can afford to operate the cap like you would expect an NFL team to do but the Bills keep crying that they can't. They can afford it but Ralph still expects to make the same amount or more then when the cap was 20+ million cheaper.