PDA

View Full Version : NFL Considers Adding 17th Game to Season

G. Host
05-10-2007, 09:06 PM
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=119&sid=1137214

Americans always seem to want more pro football. Yet it's the folks abroad who might be getting an extra taste of the NFL in the future. Although talks are extremely preliminary, the NFL is investigating adding a 17th regular-season game and playing it outside the United States. The extra game would take the place of one in the preseason, allowing every team to play once abroad without sacrificing a home match.

17 weeks? I am assuming these extra games would be non-division games.

Dozerdog
05-10-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm all for making the pre-season 3 games. The 4th is a complete waste anyway.

I'm also all for having the opening week of the season on Memorial day weekend. Makes travel much easier.

I am also for adding 2 bye weeks during the season. Any teams that have to play on a non-sunday (MNF, Sat games, Thur games) get it in conjunction with a bye week so there aren't inequities like a team playing on 4 days preparation or one team on a bye and another not.

The NFL wants to push the super bowl into February because of TV ratings sweeps (Feb is a sweeps month) and probably would love to get the championship games in the sweeps period as well.

YardRat
05-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Good luck getting that past the NFLPA.

I'm also all for having the opening week of the season on Memorial day weekend. Makes travel much easier.

That'd make for one helluva long break between weeks 1 and 2, though.

G. Host
05-10-2007, 09:26 PM
I'd like season to start Memorial Day - I don't pay attention to baseball and it is a lot easier to go to games in Summer but Miami would have a tremendious home field advantage.

Michael82
05-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Good luck getting that past the NFLPA.

That'd make for one helluva long break between weeks 1 and 2, though.
:rofl: good point! I think Dozer means Labor Day. :snicker: