Bottom line: Offense better and Defense worse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Bottom line: Offense better and Defense worse.

I'm not feeling better than 7-9 at this point. Our D looks pretty weak. I think our O will be exciting but I see another year of teams running the ball down our throats. When DiGiorgio is getting high marks you know we are screwed.

In the the Tampa 2 we are suppossed to "bend but not break". But when teams can run on us at will that's breaking.
  • Bills232
    Veteran Zoner
    • Apr 2007

Re: Bottom line: Offense better and Defense worse.

I HATE the Tampa 2

All the best defenses these days are in the 3-4...

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

The fundamental flaw of the Tampa 2 is it's designed to defend the pass more than the run. "Bend but don't break" does no good because the bending eats up a lot of clock. The offense better be better, because the only thing that will save the defense is forcing oppoents to play from behind.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Bills232
        Veteran Zoner
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Philagape
        The fundamental flaw of the Tampa 2 is it's designed to defend the pass more than the run. "Bend but don't break" does no good because the bending eats up a lot of clock. The offense better be better, because the only thing that will save the defense is forcing oppoents to play from behind.

It's good if you have talent at every position like Chicago and Tampa Bay(during their run).. It requires speed everywhere..

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bills232
          It's good if you have talent at every position like Chicago and Tampa Bay(during their run).. It requires speed everywhere..
          A big if
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• gil
            • Mar 2005

I'm probably out of my mind, but I'm hopeful that with McCargo & Williams going into their second year and having added some weight combined with the improved athleticism of our LB corps, the D will be improved.

Now, excuse me while I finish my Marv brand kool-aid.

Comment

• happyspermwhale
              Fish Fan embarrassed by Dolphins
              • May 2007

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
              I'm not feeling better than 7-9 at this point. Our D looks pretty weak. I think our O will be exciting but I see another year of teams running the ball down our throats. When DiGiorgio is getting high marks you know we are screwed.

In the the Tampa 2 we are suppossed to "bend but not break". But when teams can run on us at will that's breaking.
              I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I think our defense is going to be one of the worst in the league in 2007.

So hopefully we can score some points and win a few games because I forsee teams moving the ball at will against a young, untalented defense.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

The defense will be better than last year. Remember that last year the Bills had 5 rookies playing a lot on a new defense. This year all the players will have a full year in the system, which is huge by itself. Add to that the rookies are no longer rookies, and it's another improvement. And Spikes was a shell of his former self.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

On paper your theory might hold water, but statistcally, how much worse could the defense possibly get?

29th against the run.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Goobylal
                    The defense will be better than last year. Remember that last year the Bills had 5 rookies playing a lot on a new defense. This year all the players will have a full year in the system, which is huge by itself. Add to that the rookies are no longer rookies, and it's another improvement. And Spikes was a shell of his former self.
                    I already factored better play by the 2nd year players as usually there is a big jump in play. However, LB is the heart of any defense and Poz-Crowell-Ellison is going to be a huge work in progress.

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

I agree that the O is better, I disagree that the D is worse.

We added to our DL depth with a vet who can play.

We got rid of a liability in the middle vs. the run (Fletcher), and a gimp who couldnt play more than average. Ellison started the majority of the games last year and did pretty well, he will play well again IMO. We now added a much more stout LB against the run in Puz and get back Crowell who was probably our best LB anyway prior to the offseason if you consider Fletch a run liability and TKO average at this point. I actually think we are no worse at LB and probably stronger vs the run.

Secondary is where we have a loss in Clements. But lets not forget some of us wanted him benched through most of the first half of last year. He only really played average beyond that. Youboty may struggle, but McGee is no push over. Add in our strong S corp covering over the top and we may be able to adequately cover for that loss.

I see our DL deeper and stronger, our LB corp stronger against the run and much younger, and our secondary a year older with some youth that could suprise.

Playing better against the run is huge. We flat out stunk last year, at the very least were better there. I think stuffing the run will make teams take chances and get our D off the field alot more of the time.

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

I already factored better play by the 2nd year players as usually there is a big jump in play. However, LB is the heart of any defense and Poz-Crowell-Ellison is going to be a huge work in progress.
                        Not so huge. Crowell has been in the league for 4 years. Ellison is smart and a good player. Poz is a rookie, but he's a football player through and through. The kid has talent, heart, and a great work ethic. Sure there might be growing pains early, but by before mid-season, he'll prove to be an asset.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Goobylal
                          Not so huge. Crowell has been in the league for 4 years. Ellison is smart and a good player. Poz is a rookie, but he's a football player through and through. The kid has talent, heart, and a great work ethic. Sure there might be growing pains early, but by before mid-season, he'll prove to be an asset.
                          POZ IS A ROOKIE!! He'll play like a very good rookie which won't be better than Fletcher of 2006.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by gilbert23b
                            I'm probably out of my mind, but I'm hopeful that with McCargo & Williams going into their second year and having added some weight combined with the improved athleticism of our LB corps, the D will be improved.

Now, excuse me while I finish my Marv brand kool-aid.
                            i thought i remembered reading an article about how mccargo bulked up to around 310, and williams put on some poundage as well. dont quote me, but i think i remember that. I hope this as well, because i like both of them.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

wait til' Op gets a hold of this thread. anyone who thinks this D will be better, better have their ear plugs (so to speak) ready
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X