PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills '07 Draft Review

G. Host
05-11-2007, 09:07 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/reviews/teams/buffalobills.html
I was critical of Marv Levy's effort a year ago and while he looks to have been on the mark with Donte Whitner the fact still remains he could have gotten him a little later and John McCargo certainly didn't live up to those first round expectations as a rookie. This year was a different story though and I really like what the Bills did, although I would've preferred to see them bring in a cornerback to help replace Nate Clements at some point. As of now it looks like they landed a couple of immediate starters in Lynch and Posluszny while guys like Edwards, Wright and Wendling will provide the type of quality depth that all good teams need. The Bills had a lot of holes to fill and '07 may be another rebuilding year for them but with their last two draft classes they've built a solid young core and the future looks bright.

I know it is only one guy or I think it is but it was the site I used to get player info for mock draft. Fairly well organized site.

Jan Reimers
05-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, that damned McCargo. What a disappointment. He couldn't even play through a little broken foot thing.

patmoran2006
05-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I agree with the analysis.

Got two clear-cut starters from day one (though A-Train may actually "start" the game)-- and good depth later on.

And this IS clearly another rebuilding year as well. THe draft kind of cements that point home. When you draft a QB on day one knowing he's not going to start- your pretty much playing for the future.

Pinkerton Security
05-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Ya, this is one of my favorite draft info sites as well, and I really respect their opinions more than most draft sites.

The more I hear about Wendling, the more it seems as though he may be a diamond in the rough, as everyone seems so high on him.

patmoran2006
05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Wendling could end up being very productive, and I like the selection of Wright too.. i also like the TE.

I dont like the Edwards pick in the sense its evidence to me that this is another rebuilding year (you dont take guys on day one when you dont even expect them to play this year)-- and I dont like the fact we moved up for POZ and left holes at WR and CB- when we could've gotten two immediate contributors instead of one with POZ. That's not to say POZ isnt going to be a good player and if he is then 2-3 years from now who cares. Sorry, IM just far from convinced he's the real deal, whether we took him 12th, 34th or 98th overall.

Philagape
05-12-2007, 12:29 PM
The thing about this draft is, it didn't make the team any better from last year. The two starters at the top will replace departed players, so that's a wash. They may eventually be as good as or better than the players they replaced, but rookies are rookies.
The rest, while good prospects, won't contribute much this year except special teams, and we usually have strong ST anyway.

The only new player on the whole team that appears to be a clear-cut upgrade is Dockery.

patmoran2006
05-12-2007, 12:34 PM
The thing about this draft is, it didn't make the team any better from last year. The two starters at the top will replace departed players, so that's a wash. They may eventually be as good as or better than the players they replaced, but rookies are rookies.
The rest, while good prospects, won't contribute much this year except special teams, and we usually have strong ST anyway.

The only new player on the whole team that appears to be a clear-cut upgrade is Dockery.
Good analysis..

The only thing I could add is that I think Lynch may be better than McGahee, even as a rookie.. But POZ at best is definitely only a wash with Fletcher, and that's at best. I think Fletch is a guy who fans are going to realize AFTER he's gone what he brought to this team.

John Doe
05-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Wendling could end up being very productive, and I like the selection of Wright too.. i also like the TE.

I dont like the Edwards pick in the sense its evidence to me that this is another rebuilding year (you dont take guys on day one when you dont even expect them to play this year

This makes absolutely no sense.

You are inferring that a team that is not in rebuilding mode would look to a 4th rounder to start.

And, who has said (other than you) that Edwards is not expected to play?

YoungMoney
05-12-2007, 01:56 PM
John McCargo certainly didn't live up to those first round expectations as a rookie
He was injured you jackass!

YoungMoney
05-12-2007, 02:00 PM
The article does make sense though, sure most of these players won't make much of a contribution or even at all but down the line we'll be able to look back and say damn that draft was great.