PDA

View Full Version : What was it like to be a Bills fan?

Bills232
05-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I was too young....

Were the Bills more relevant? Did they get more primetime games, and fluff from ESPN?

YardRat
05-12-2007, 11:28 AM
ESPN didn't exist in the mid-6o's.

ddaryl
05-12-2007, 11:29 AM
yes, yes and yes

and it was an awesome time. We could be down at 1/2 time by 2 TD's and nobody was really worried.

However even in the glory days the team failed to show up a few games a year... and of course they failed to show up to 2.5 superbowls. We were winning at 1/2 time in our 2nd Dallas SB, and we played well in our 1st SB... our Defense over pursued almost every running play in our 1st SB, but they played well enough to almost win it.

YardRat
05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
yes, yes and yes

and it was an awesome time. We could be down at 1/2 time by 2 TD's and nobody was really worried.

However even in the glory days the team failed to show up a few games a year... and of course they failed to show up to 2.5 superbowls. We were winning at 1/2 time in our 2nd Dallas SB, and we played well in our 1st SB... our Defense over pursued almost every running play in our 1st SB, but they played well enough to almost win it.

Substitute "at 1/2 time by 2 TD's" with "after two periods by 2 goals" and you get an eerie sense of deja' vu.

Jan Reimers
05-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Exactly like it is now. Fun and exciting.

patmoran2006
05-12-2007, 11:42 AM
If your currently a Sabres fan, then this is exactly how it was with the Bills from the late 80's/mid 90's.. Total frenzied fans.

The Bills of that era and the Sabres of today are the most nuts I've ever seen this town. There was an article this past week in the New York Times I think that says Buffalo is the new "Hockeytown USA" a title Detroit used to hold.

There is no doubt Buffalo has become hockey-town. Mainly because of the success- but this team just seems to relate to the fans more than any team I've followed-even the great Bills teams of the Jim Kelly era- not to take anything away from them.

patmoran2006
05-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Exactly like it is now. Fun and exciting.
C'Mon man.

I get that your a "homer", or without sending negative a true-and-true fan. But this is hardly an "exciting" time. This is a team that has been mediocre for nearly a decade, and it takes the MOST optimistic of fans to see light at the end of the tunnel when you look at NE and even the Jets in our division.

I can see if your excited about just having a team to root for, but this is hardly an exciting time to be a Bills fan.. This is a "hope we dont take yet another step backwards" time to be a Bills fan.

Bills232
05-12-2007, 11:53 AM
If your currently a Sabres fan, then this is exactly how it was with the Bills from the late 80's/mid 90's.. Total frenzied fans.

The Bills of that era and the Sabres of today are the most nuts I've ever seen this town. There was an article this past week in the New York Times I think that says Buffalo is the new "Hockeytown USA" a title Detroit used to hold.

There is no doubt Buffalo has become hockey-town. Mainly because of the success- but this team just seems to relate to the fans more than any team I've followed-even the great Bills teams of the Jim Kelly era- not to take anything away from them.

Are you kidding me????

Buffalo?? Hockeytown USA??

The Sabres play in the same state as the New York Rangers bud... In case you didn't know the New York Rangers are the biggest thing in hockey...

patmoran2006
05-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Are you kidding me????

The Sabres play in the same state as the New York Rangers bud... In case you didn't know the New York Rangers are the biggest thing in hockey... The Rangers aren't even the biggest or second biggest thing in their own TOWN, let alone all of hockey.. Are you even remotely serious?

If I look hard enough I can find the New York Times article about Buffalo becoming "HOckeytown USA"...

**UPDATE** Here is the article. Unfortunately, you have to pay to read it as NY Times archived peices aren't free to read. But you can see the start and basically the article states Buffalo has surpassed Detroit as the biggest hockey town in the sport.
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0717FA3A5A0C778CDDAC0894DF404482

patmoran2006
05-12-2007, 12:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=ultimatestandings07No1team

Want more evidence "Bud"? Read that article.

According to ESPN "Sportsnation" the Buffalo Sabres are not only Number one in HOCKEY when it comes to "giving fans the most back for the emotion, money and time they invest in their teams."

But they're ranked number one in ALL OF SPORTS, period.

Except from article

"Larry Quinn, managing partner of the Buffalo Sabres, knows owner Tom Golisano doesn't like him to talk about other clubs' fans, but he just can't help himself. Anytime the Sabres host archrival Toronto, Quinn enjoys watching the thousands of crazies who make the 101-mile trek to cheer their Leafs.

"Jersey-wearing, face-painted, wig-wearing types, not the kind you see at the Air Canada Centre," says Quinn. "It's ironic that Buffalo has become the place where true Toronto fans can express themselves."

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Because when you ignite fans the Sabres way, you're going to spark passion in your opponents as well as in your own faithful. In this fifth edition of our Ultimate Standings, Buffalo ranks No. 1 among all Big Four pro franchises in giving fans the most back for the emotion, money and time they invest in their teams."

So, New York's still "hockey town" huh? I think not.

Mad Bomber
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Are you kidding me????

The Sabres play in the same state as the New York Rangers bud... In case you didn't know the New York Rangers are the biggest thing in hockey...

You obviously don't know New York. The Rangers aren't even the biggest thing in Madison Square Garden. New York is not a hockey town at all, let alone Hockeytown USA.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I was too young....

Were the Bills more relevant? Did they get more primetime games, and fluff from ESPN?

I'm confused by your question. However if you are talking about th 1990s teams yes. They had lots of sunday and monday night football. Kelly, Smith, and Thurm all had nationally telivised commercials. There was the Paup 1800 Collect commercials and there was the snickers commercial with Marv Levy. As for ESPN truth be told only fluff we ever got from them was from Paul McGuire and Berman.

billsburgh
05-12-2007, 01:07 PM
You obviously don't know New York. The Rangers aren't even the biggest thing in Madison Square Garden. New York is not a hockey town at all, let alone Hockeytown USA.
dont feed the trolls

kinigirly
05-12-2007, 01:35 PM
this thread annoys me

THATHURMANATOR
05-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Are you kidding me????

Yeah that is why there were more total viewers in Buffalo watching the Rangers/Sabres series than in NYC even though NYC has over 10 million more people. Don't be a douche. The Rangers are about the 10th biggest thing in hockey

Bills232
05-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah that is why there were more total viewers in Buffalo watching the Rangers/Sabres series than in NYC even though NYC has over 10 million more people. Don't be a douche. The Rangers are about the 10th biggest thing in hockey

Gee...

If my memory serves me well "Hockeytown USA" almost got their team contracted about two years ago...

Buckets
05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I was too young....

Which time?

Jan Reimers
05-12-2007, 02:50 PM
C'Mon man.

I get that your a "homer", or without sending negative a true-and-true fan. But this is hardly an "exciting" time. This is a team that has been mediocre for nearly a decade, and it takes the MOST optimistic of fans to see light at the end of the tunnel when you look at NE and even the Jets in our division.

I can see if your excited about just having a team to root for, but this is hardly an exciting time to be a Bills fan.. This is a "hope we dont take yet another step backwards" time to be a Bills fan.
I'm sorry, Pat. I'm not a sour puss like you. I am optimistic and excited about our young players - I think Losman, Evans and Lynch will be great, our O line much improved, and our young guys on D far better than expected - and I love having a class act like Marv in charge.

I find being an optimist a lot more fun than being a chronic whiner, and if I've had any success in life, it's because I've conducted my business that way, too.

I can't wait for opening day at the Ralph.

PromoTheRobot
05-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Actually I recall folks being just as negative and pessimistic like they are now. There were people calling to fire Levy, bench Kelly, trade Bruce Smith, etc. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

PTR

Dozerdog
05-12-2007, 03:59 PM
C'Mon man.

C'mon man.

Most fans aren't sucidal if we don't draft a flashy college TE with our first pick.

I get pumped for all the games, regardless of record. If you can't stomach defeat - you can't stomach sports. No matter how much of an expert you fancy yourself as.

The internet has made a lot of people into sports panicing pansies. The sky is allways falling these days

Mr. Pink
05-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Yes people can still be optimistic about their team. But, even though I didn't live here until 93...the last SB loss...you can't even begin to compare how everyone around here was Bills crazy then til now.

There sure wasn't 4 home games blacked out in 93. People were flying high over the Bills getting to the big game again and interest didn't wane come week 12. The difference for the past 7 years is the product on the field, by midseason, every year but 2 this decade, we've been already out of playoff contention, basically.

I know there was a HUGE difference between the way Browns fans were in 86-89 than 90-93. Every friday during football season was Browns day. From schools to offices and everything in between. You'd see the pastor of your church out wearing a Browns hat. Youd see almost every kid in school and teachers too, wearing Browns gear from 86-89...then lean years came when the team sucked, and people stopped caring as much. Of course die-hards always care. But it's not widespread when the team isn't as good.

Goes that way in every city with any sports team though. Even here with the Sabres, the year before the strike, not too many cared about the Sabres. Now they're the presidents trophy winner and people everywhere in this town are Sabres fans.

The Bills of 1990 were embraced much like the Sabres of 2005-06. And it built from there, on both teams.

Night Train
05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Like Jan said, it was fun in the 60's and still is today. Each admin. gets a fresh chance and Marv/Jauron are in year 2. I know the history of this team as well as anyone but I like the direction of this current admin. and how they are trying to put this team together.

Go Bills !

DynaPaul
05-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I first really started watching the Bills the year before they first made the playoffs with Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Smith, et al. It was an exciting time to watch the games but in my area it was more torturous as well since I live in typical Jets/Giants territory. There were only like 2 other Bills fans in my high school so whenever I wore a Bills shirt to school I knew I was gonna hear "the Bills suck" at least a few times a day.

Aside from that, that era was the most fun ever to watch Bills games as this team was capable of anything as witnessed by the greatest comeback ever against the Oilers. We did get some primetime matchups and a lot of press back then too. I don't recall the press being as harsh on the Bills either.

One time I'll never forget is the first Super Bowl versus the Cowboys. I was fresh in the Navy and at Electronics School in Orlando, FL. Well all of us cramped into the barracks lounge, about 30 of us in this small room and I had a front row seat. Now out of all those people only me and another guy were cheering the Bills. Well about a quarter into the game the other guy started cheering the Cowboys like a pansy turncoat and everytime the Cowboys scored this yahoo from Texas would run around the barracks with this Texas state flag all up in the air. Obviously the Bills were hopelessly out of it but I was not retreating back to my cubicle as I always watched the games to the end with some glimmer of hope. Needless to say, if the loss hadn't been enough I had to endure getting my face rubbed in it by these other squids.

And to top it all off I lost a bet with a guy and had to wear a Cowboys shirt for a day. I can say that was the most humiliating time I ever spent as a Bills fan.

I gotta say I think this team has aged me ten years.

raphael120
05-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I was about 12 when the bills were making their 4 super bowl runs. i went to school near pittsburgh, so you know how much flack i was getting from steelers fans. but i knew only ONE other kid who liked the bills, and he never wore bills stuff. to show you how much my dad rubbed off on me, not only did i lose a bet to a stupid cowboys fan at school the one year, but i paid him the 5 bucks i owed him in pennies, and went to school the next day wearing a bills hat and bills shirt, and my bills jacket. man...i got torchered! ahaha...man i had balls when i was 12

ublinkwescore
05-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry, Pat. I'm not a sour puss like you. I am optimistic and excited about our young players - I think Losman, Evans and Lynch will be great, our O line much improved, and our young guys on D far better than expected - and I love having a class act like Marv in charge.

I find being an optimist a lot more fun than being a chronic whiner, and if I've had any success in life, it's because I've conducted my business that way, too.

I can't wait for opening day at the Ralph.

Excellent post - I couldn't have said it better myself.

bflojohn
05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Youv'e not lived if you didn't have to "survive" the era in Bills football where I started to follow the Bills, ever so slightly after the Championship Teams of the 60's. I endured the 70's and early to mid 80's with much hope but LITTLE return. When the Bills hired Marv Levy my first reaction was another stinking "retread" to coach the Bills!! Jim Kelly was wisked away from Rich Stadium by the devil himself, Jerry Argovitz and signed with the Houston Gamblers of the USFL! Oh my God, the story about Bruce Smith is that the Dallas Cowboys Gil Brandt had to talk to Bruce about the HONOR of being the top pick in the 85 draft! The rights to Bruce were owned by the Philadelphia Stars (I think that was their name?!), and the story was that the Stars were about to sign him! Then before Jim Kelly's personal services contract with Donald Trumps' New York franchise was about to become null and void, the rumor was that the Oakland Raiders were tampering with the Kelly camp's representatives to acquire him for themselves! Jimbo, for his part, literally said that he couldn't run an offense worth a crap in Buffalo, and didn't want to be a Bills player. Believe me, there have been MUCH MORE LEAN YEARS THAT THE ONE'S IN THE LAST DECADE!!! Just hold on tight and enjoy!! Go Bills, God knows I love them all.....

Wys Guy
05-12-2007, 07:39 PM
I was too young....

It was absolutely incredible!!!

I have no idea what Reimers is saying if winning means anything. I can't speak for him or anyone else, but if someone tells me in advance that we're going to lose I stay home. I'm not a cheerleader, I'm a fan!

Back then ('88 thru '93) the parking lots had electricity in them. The partying was ten times what it is today. After games there were enormous fires in the lots, and I mean enormous, the size of multiple cars. People stayed for hours after wins over key teams and the radio coverage wasn't all about all the slop play and lack of capabilities by the team.

I was at every single playoff game and several of them stood out.

First, the '91 win over the Chiefs in the Divisional Round I think it was. Earlier that season we got pounded 33-6 at Arrowhead. Kelly couldn't hear a thing in that game and asked the refs to help, they refused. That was the problem there. WELL, ... hehehe...

The Chiefs came to Rich Stadium for the Divisional playoff. I believe it was DeBerg at QB. That was the loudest I've ever heard the fans. DeBerg couldn't hear himself think let alone call the signals. I'll never forget his own center putting his hand to his ear!!! If you weren't there then it can't be explained.

But that's not all of it. At one point fairly early in our 37-14 rout, and it really wasn't even that close, we were down in the KC red zone. All of a sudden the crowd became so incredibly quiet that I could have told you what the words were coming from Kelly's mouth. It truly was that quiet. The fans remembered that Arrowhead game and it was the most disiciplined game I've EVER seen by the fans!

Another game was the 51-3 thrashing of the Raiders in the AFC CG in the '90 season. The game was a blowout and long over before the final whistle. But at one point the Raiders, down by like 30-some, began threatening a TD. Most of the fans were all partying in the stands and all by then merely talking with the game as a side show, and reasonably so, but once the Raiders got too far into our half of the field the fans all of a sudden came alive BIGTIME!

You could just feel the energy and we shut them down 3-and-out at that point. In spite of the rout we didn't want to yield a TD.

Never at any point did anyone even think that we wouldn't win a game. No "hopes," just belief that it was a given and how and by how much!

There hasn't been anything even close since. And if winning means nothing, then great, but IMO WTH's the sense in going to games. If I just wanna watch athletes play football there's 15 other games on any given Sunday and a ton of college and local (DC metro area) high school games that would be more fun too.

We used pretty much dominate the lines of scrimmage back then due to killer OL and front-7.

Back then it was an emotional high. Today it's like going on a picnic often shaking your head on the way out of the stadium thinking about all the ways we got our a$$e$ handed to us. When we win it's usually over some schlep team kinda like the 8th grade bully pulverizing the nerd in the class into the grass long after the fight is over. It just isn't the same. Again and of course if winning and competitiveness mean anything to you.

I'm not sure that I'd want anyone that thinks there's no difference on any team that I've ever played on in any sport. There was an enormous difference and don't let anyone tell you anything else. If you never experienced it all I can say is that I wish you could have.

LtBillsFan66
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
:shocked:

Marvelous
05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
I was too young....

Top of the world. I lived in south FL late 80's - early 90's & i was late teens -early 20's so i had many Phinfan friends and i was always grinning. The 4 losses sucked but the regular season/playoff wins we're priceless... Good times & i trade them for nothing!

HHURRICANE
05-14-2007, 06:14 PM
ESPN didn't exist in the mid-6o's.

That's pretty funny.