PDA

View Full Version : I think I know what part of Afinogenov's problem is....

OpIv37
05-12-2007, 07:58 PM
He NEVER dumps the puck to chase or for another player to chase- he ALWAYS drives straight to the goal once he crosses the blue line with the puck. He needs to selectively dump to be less predictable- the defenders crowd him because they know exactly where he's headed.

BlackMetalNinja
05-12-2007, 07:59 PM
He NEVER dumps the puck to chase or for another player to chase- he ALWAYS drives straight to the goal once he crosses the blue line with the puck. He needs to selectively dump to be less predictable- the defenders crowd him because they know exactly where he's headed.

This was a problem he had incessantly the past few season, but seemingly overcame to some extent this year... why he's reverted now is beyond me. It's like once he came back from injury, he forgot how successful he had been early in the year.

Typ0
05-12-2007, 09:47 PM
that's what we want him to do. I don't know if you noticed but when he starts skating the entire defense freezes. While I would agree he should dump one sometimes to "keep them honest" mostly we want him skating with the puck. We have better overall players but Max is a guy who can totally take over a game and win it by himself and you take that.

Typ0
05-12-2007, 10:18 PM
a good example there...

don137
05-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I would love for him to one time to a player for a shot...The other team tries to shut down the shooting lane...If he passes it their would be a golden scoring chance.

Typ0
05-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Max skates around people and gets high quality shots. you don't put the guy on the squad and take away his greatest strength. Especially in this situation we're much better off getting a decent shot closer to the net and having guys waiting for that flopping puck Emery keeps dropping in front of the net.

OpIv37
05-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Max skates around people and gets high quality shots. you don't put the guy on the squad and take away his greatest strength. Especially in this situation we're much better off getting a decent shot closer to the net and having guys waiting for that flopping puck Emery keeps dropping in front of the net.

I'm not saying he should dump every friggin time he gets the puck, but when there's 3 defenders on him and no one to pass to, he's obviously not going to create a scoring chance. Connolly's strength is passing but he has to shoot sometimes too. Kotalik's strength is his slapshot but he shouldn't slap the **** out of it every time he touches the puck.