PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 draft

kernowboy
05-13-2007, 03:18 AM
It seems obvious to me that the team has a much better draft strategy than a FA strategy at present.

In light of having 4 day1 picks next year, what do you think are the key needs ....

I personally think we will look to the D on the first day in 2008 .... the main areas of need are the DL, No2 WR and depth at CB and LB.

I think Glenn Dorsey will look great in a Bills shirt and now the RB issue has been dealt with, if we have a chance to grab him, then I'd jump at the chance. I think Schobel, Kelsay and Denney still have mileage in the tank with Kelsay slowly (too slowly) improving, but a top DT to rotate with Williams and McCargo will solidify this area.

We have not resolved the WR area. Adraius Bowman of Oklahoma St or Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma will provide the height the corps are lacking, and Bowman could easily be our Dwayne Jarrett.

I am comfortable with our current LBs but I am concerned about our depth and whether Haggan, Stammer, Odom, or DiGiorgio can step over the longhaul. I would not begrudge the drafting of Jasper Brinkley from South Carolina as a load in the middle allowing Pos, Crowell, and Ellison to rotate and stay fresh.

At CB, I have faith in Youboty and McGee, but think we need to stop drafting Day1 depth here ... Thomas did well but is this just a flash in the pan. At S, Wending's selection is brilliant. If Ko or Donte go down he can step in and allows us to carry our ST guy Coy Wire, who might be the difference in the closest of games.

So an early projection of

R1. Glenn Dorsey - LSU
R2. Adarius Bowman - Oklahoma St
R3a. Jasper Brinkley - South Carolina
R3b. Justin King - Penn St

Thoughts?

Ebenezer
05-13-2007, 03:31 AM
No offense but this might be the epitome of mental masturbation...there is absolutely no way of knowing what the needs of any team will be a year from now...I'll let you know one week before next year's draft...

SquishDaFish
05-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Wat to early to know anything for nest years draft.

YardRat
05-13-2007, 06:04 AM
Wow. Just, wow.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-13-2007, 08:48 AM
I have to agree with the other guys, just way to early to talk like that about the 2008 draft. I am looking forward to this year and that is it.

G. Host
05-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Shouldn't we be talking about 2012, 20013, etc draft when we replace current draftees?

DraftBoy
05-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Good post and its never to early to talk about next years draft the issue I see is that we;

A) Dont know our drafting posistion
B) Dont know the players values yet
C) Dont know about injuries or down seasons yet

Still alot of factors to play in before calling on guys in certain rounds, but the names you listed are solid choices.

Devin
05-13-2007, 10:28 AM
WR, DL, LB, CB.

Don't Panic
05-13-2007, 10:50 AM
My boy Branden Albert should be coming out early next year... here's hoping he's a frst day pick. Plays OG for Virginia but could project to RT in the pros. Howie Long's son plays with him and Howie raves about him. If Walker doesn't pan out at RT and moves to RG, he would be a great pick. He grew up in Rochester too, so he's a local boy. By the way, I agree... total menthere.

G. Host
05-13-2007, 11:05 AM
My boy Branden Albert should be coming out early next year... here's hoping he's a frst day pick. Plays OG for Virginia but could project to RT in the pros. Howie Long's son plays with him and Howie raves about him. If Walker doesn't pan out at RT and moves to RG, he would be a great pick. He grew up in Rochester too, so he's a local boy. By the way, I agree... total menthere.

This guy? Big boy.
Late bloomer for football but first day picks have occurred for late bloomers.
http://virginiasports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/albert_branden02.html

SABURZFAN
05-13-2007, 11:34 AM
do you think baker or long will be available to us?

Don't Panic
05-13-2007, 12:14 PM
This guy? Big boy.
Late bloomer for football but first day picks have occurred for late bloomers.
http://virginiasports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/albert_branden02.html

That's him... I coached him for two years at the high school I work at (basketball). He was just strating to get into football. He was a great bball player. Great feet for someone his size. We went to two state semifinals with him as our center. He's old for his class... will be ready to roll by next April. They just named him team captain, too.

ParanoidAndroid
05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
There's this kid I coached this year in 8th grade that we should draft to replace JP in 2015.
He can throw 60 yards and has an absolutely smooth delivery. His only knock at this time is that his voice cracks when he is calling plays at the line.

DraftBoy
05-13-2007, 01:12 PM
There's this kid I coached this year in 8th grade that we should draft to replace JP in 2015.
He can throw 60 yards and has an absolutely smooth delivery. His only knock at this time is that his voice cracks when he is calling plays at the line.

Name? He's probably already been listed on Rivals.com

kernowboy
05-13-2007, 02:18 PM
errr ... we are all aware of who might be free agents.

We can assume that we will have at least 7 picks

We can speculate on who are coming out and what rounds they might currently be in based on performances in the junior seasons though some will rise and some will fall.

Marv has done much better in the draft than in FA.

Even if we have one or two pickups, we will still have weakness on the roster in the 2007 season.

Speculating we will get to the 1st round of the playoffs that leaves us drafting 20 to 24 in the first round.

I am not sure what people's problems are with looking ahead, seeing where our weakness are and looking who might address those coming into the 2008 season. After all veteran players who have been in the league a few seasons seldom get better but for the team to get better those positions need to get upgraded either in FA, or based on Marv's performance to date, the draft.

As for the OL, I think we can leave well alone. We have 5 decent starters hopefully and 3 decent reserves in Merz, Butler and Pennington. I think if Dockery or Walker flunk, either can be replaced by existing depth.

For me DT and WR could still be upgraded. Depth is light at CB and LB.

Ed
05-13-2007, 03:57 PM
My prediction is that all our moves will work out perfectly, we will have no weaknesses, lose no one significant in free agency, and strictly draft best player available regardless of position. Yes, we're gonna be that good. Next years draft should be fun!

Don't Panic
05-13-2007, 09:01 PM

Like I said, mental masturbation... take it for what you will. I'm unabashedly the kid's biggest cheerleader though, and I make no excuses for it. How often is it you come in close contact with a kid who might make it to the NFL?

Stewie
05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
I think its funny that some people who think its too early to guess about next year are the same folks who have already graded the 07 draft.

Marshawn Lynch
05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Can we get through a mini camp without talking about a next years draft?

ParanoidAndroid
05-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Can we get through a mini camp without talking about a next years draft?

Don't worry Marshawn, we're still really excited to see you play, too. :D

justasportsfan
05-14-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't think Dorsey will be there when we pick at 32