PDA

View Full Version : anyone remember Foxtrax (the glowing puck)

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
FOX TRAX PUCK

(1996 - 1998)

In 1994, Fox Sports and the NHL reached a five-year broadcast agreement. The first actual broadcasts took place near the end of the 1994-95 season. One complaint new American fans of the game had was they had difficulty following the puck. As a result, the FoxTrax puck was created.

A standard NHL In Glas Co game puck was cut in half and electronic components were inserted allowing the puck to be tracked by sophisticated computers that generated the 'blue and red streaks' when the puck was passed or shot and the 'blue halos' that highlighted the pucks location. Four sensors were visible on each flat surface and several more on the edge of the puck.
http://www.officialgamepuck.com/National%20Hockey%20League%20Game/Fox%20Trax.htm

They gotta bring it back, or something like it! it would solve all the goal/no goal problems

Myers57
05-13-2007, 06:15 PM
no that was gay, especially the stupid red streak during shots

if you can't see the puck or get an idea of whats happening by how the play develops get a bigger tv :P

BlackMetalNinja
05-13-2007, 07:00 PM
That was for moms and girlfriends that couldn't follow the puck. We need nothing to glow... they need to put GPS tracking units in the puck instead so we can determine the precise location of it at any given time...

SkateZilla
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
i didnt like how overwhelming the tracing was, they should thin it out a lil, make it less overwhelming, small blue trace or something and the speed on the screen.

i did like however being able to see the pucks position on the boards when the actual camera view was blocked...

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
no that was gay, especially the stupid red streak during shots

if you can't see the puck or get an idea of whats happening by how the play develops get a bigger tv :P

So your saying the first down marker line that the NFL on CBS and what Fox NFL Sunday does is :limp:? it's almost the same idea. It shows you were the first down marker is.

OpIv37
05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
i did like however being able to see the pucks position on the boards when the actual camera view was blocked...

which happens a lot with ****ing VS. Every time the puck is in the corner on the near boards they go to that wide-high shot, and it's impossible to tell what's happening. The only way is to watch the players and try to figure out where the puck is by how they react.

I could do without the red tail or huge halo, but an indicator of where the puck is along the boards would be a good thing.

more importantly, they could use the censors to determine when the puck crossed the goal line, even if they didn't make it "glow" for the entire game.

RockStar36
05-13-2007, 10:10 PM
I hate FoxTrax. I hated it with a passion.

SkateZilla
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
So your saying the first down marker line that the NFL on CBS and what Fox NFL Sunday does is :limp:? it's almost the same idea. It shows you were the first down marker is.

Next Year they will use the NFL BLitz Technique by putting censors in the ball so you can see the trail when the player throws it and such.. :dance:

Philagape
05-13-2007, 10:17 PM

Totally different effect. The first-down line is unobtrusive and adds useful information. The glow puck was the worst abomination in the history of TV sports. (that and Joe Theismann)

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Next Year they will use the NFL BLitz Technique by putting censors in the ball so you can see the trail when the player throws it and such.. :dance:

that would be :cool: the NFL did say that they were tinkering with some stuff to make the game better.

OpIv37
05-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Totally different effect. The first-down line is unobtrusive and adds useful information. The glow puck was the worst abomination in the history of TV sports. (that and Joe Theismann)

worst abomination in TV sports? Obviously you've never had the displeasure seeing Dan Dierdorf in HD. I thought it was one of those deformity shows on the Discovery channel.