PDA

View Full Version : Peterson 6 years 20 mill... now that is DIRT cheap

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Jaguars | More On Peterson - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
18:05 PT: Eddie Pells reports for the Associated Press LB Mike Peterson signed a six-year, $20.4 million contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The deal included $5 million in guaranteed bonuses. Peterson, who runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash, was thought to be at the top of the list of free agents the Jaguars pursued. "Jacksonville was high on my list," he said. "I get to come back, play in front of my friends and family. It was a win-win situation for me."

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 09:38 PM
spikes better be 12 million better than peterson.. jeez.. i cant believe how cheap he signed.. i assumed he wanted too much..

Ingtar33
03-13-2003, 09:55 PM
Peterson was only top flight because the press only knows how to read stats...

He has always had question marks around him due to the perception that he wasn't a playmaker but a tackler... I have to say the vast majority of those critiques were right because most if not nearly all of his tackles happen five or ten yards down field.

He is a decent cover guy though... just a very below average run stopper.

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 10:01 PM
so how much better is spikes is the question? is he gonna have a 12 million dollar impact difference? is he a playmaker, alot moreso than peterson?

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 10:02 PM
i guess basically, what i am asking is

are we better off with

spikes 32mill
posey 7 mill

or

colvin 26 mil
peterson 20 mill

cuz it is a minimal difference..

and ing.. i never did hear what you thought of posey? you think he will work out in our defense? or was last year a fluke?

Ingtar33
03-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Well, Posey I like...

I've only seen him like 3 times (and one of those times he was playing DE). But from what I've seen he looks like a faster and stronger version of Keith Newman, or conversely a slightly faster version of Rosey Colvin. The thing is he should fit our D well, because the SLB in this system has to play like basically a DE... and even better for us, Posey covers slightly better than Colvin.

That said, Colvin's got a great pass rushing instinct, but I like Posey as a value pickup. Of course he’s only had one good season so he could be a bust… but I don’t think so… we needed a guy on the outside who could get up field strong and fast, and hold the point of attack well… Posey can do both much better than Newman.

And yes... I think I just might take Posey and Spikes over Colvin and Peterson, solely because the former makes us faster than the latter.

Posey is faster than Colvin, Spikes is faster than Peterson

BuffaloRanger
03-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Spikes is only counting 2.5 mil against the cap this year. That's a hell of a deal!

Tatonka
03-14-2003, 12:15 AM
yeah.. but it gets much worse.. he will count as much as 6.5 mill against the cap the final 2 years.

venis2k1
03-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Spikes wants to be in Buffalo, sounds like Peterson wanted to be in Jacksonville "I get to come back, play in front of my friends and family. It was a win-win situation for me."

don137
03-14-2003, 06:43 AM
A couple things. Buffalo needs a "playmaker" on defense not just a solid guy. To me Spikes is that guy. He will elevate the game of everyone else. I think he made the other defensive players on th Bengals better. Offensive coordinators have to plan for a guy like Spikes. They don't have to plan for a guy like Petersen.
In order to afford Spikes, TD got some good value in Posey. I would take Posey and Spikes over Colvin and Petersen anyday.

ct bills fan
03-14-2003, 10:10 AM
The thing that has me skeptical about Peterson is Polian said he wasn't going to hand out a lot of money to a very good player. He wanted a great player if he was going to pay as much as he was asking. As we all know, Polian has TD like judgment.

XNOUGHT
03-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by ct bills fan
The thing that has me skeptical about Peterson is Polian said he wasn't going to hand out a lot of money to a very good player. He wanted a great player if he was going to pay as much as he was asking. As we all know, Polian has TD like judgment.

Not anymore. he signed a backup DT and a center to multi-million doller deals. He spent triple the money on a center and a backup DT from the Broncoes.

TedMock
03-14-2003, 10:21 AM
People don't realize that the Colts D was actually solid last season. I guess that's thanks to Dungy. Considering what Spikes has done in Cincy, he's been more impressive due to surroundings. He did play with Simmons next to him and he's good but that's it!

colin
03-14-2003, 10:37 AM
Peterson is not fit to toss Spikes' salad.

Spikes is a friggin ninja, if we get Adams (or some other giant power plug for that matter), our LBs are gonna DFK the whole AFCE.