PDA

View Full Version : Bills should be willing to walk away from Walker

Don't Panic
05-14-2007, 04:39 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/bills-walkawayfrom-darwinwalker140507.html

And I fruitlessly wish that this would be the last time fans have to endure a situation where an athlete under contract refuses to obey the terms of the document. Walker's got two years left on a deal that, under the terms of human free will, he was allowed to not sign. With my slow and feeble mind, I attempted to think of another job field where one can agree to work for a definite amount of time and money and then just disregard the deal, and I couldn't come up with one; of course, if there was such a career, wouldn't everyone work in it?
It is true that without guaranteed contracts, teams are allowed to cut players who are already signed. But that's a problem for Walker and his fellow petulant brethren to take up with their union. In the meantime, players need to be honorable enough to respect paperwork they've personally inked.
It's a shame, too. Walker at his best could be a high-energy penetrator, someone to complement the nose tackle and be part of a rotating band of nasty disruptors who could interchangeably pursue the quarterback and stuff rushing gaps. Sadly, in lieu of pursuing the dream of swarming to the ball with his new mates, he's threatening to hold out of next month's mandatory minicamp. His unwillingness to play under the terms of his contract has already soured his relationship with a fan base unwilling to tolerate self-absorbed behavior on any level.

One year left on a deal with a gaudy statistical season last year would be one thing, but this situation? Hard to see the logic.

YardRat
05-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Trade him for a draft pick.

clumping platelets
05-14-2007, 05:37 AM
Let his :moon: sit

Ebenezer
05-14-2007, 05:45 AM
his loss...

casdhf
05-14-2007, 05:46 AM
He'll be in camp.

patmoran2006
05-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Get something done as it would be embarassing otherwise to just literally GIVE Takeo Spikes away.

His play will determine whether it was a good trade or not.

eyedog
05-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Let him sit. He has no leverage and will eventually report or not get paid. I bet he shows.

Jan Reimers
05-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Get something done as it would be embarassing otherwise to just literally GIVE Takeo Spikes away.

I agree. Renegotiate somethig that both sides can live with, and get him to camp. We have the cap room, and if we can tender Tim Anderson at $800,000+, I don't see why we can't give Walker a couple Mil.

mikemac2001
05-14-2007, 09:37 AM
principle tho i mean do it for one everyone will try to up early, well most...i think u show the team something and dont and if he sits he doesnt get bad and just not a good career move

ScottLawrence
05-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Exactly my feelings.

Walker was set on holding out with the Eagles up until he was traded.

If Marv didn't know this, then what does that say about him as GM?

We basically traded our starting LB(Who was once one of the best in the league) and our backup quarterback for a 7th round pick.

:crap:

feelthepain
05-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow, new player to the Bills roster and already unhappy, amazing.

patmoran2006
05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Blasting another team when yours has as many holes (at key spots) as any team in the NFL, makes you sound like an idiot.

At least our fans arent publicly boo'ing our top draft pick already. And we're not relying on Trent Green (lol) to save our franchise.

Your team is a mess.. Worry about your own.

Elminster
05-14-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. I don't understand...what's the problem here people?. The man wants a new contract, and, IMO, it is within his right to ask for one, as his old contract is an artifact from his time with the Iggles. He has been productive and we have plenty of cap room, so we can and will extend him. Some one on the other side suggested that we're more concerned with ensuring we have all the rookies done first and then we'll take care of him. If he wants to sit out mini-camp, he's just hurting himself, why should we care? He's part of the rotation and certainly not the most promising or important one...

patmoran2006
05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I cant see how Marv would be stupid enough to trade for him if we didnt plan on extending him, knowing from his time in Philly he wanted a better deal.

mchurchfie
05-14-2007, 12:34 PM
The Bills knew he wanted to get a new contract when they traded for him. This is all posturing and being made a bigger deal of than what it really is.

feelthepain
05-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Blasting another team when yours has as many holes (at key spots) as any team in the NFL, makes you sound like an idiot.

At least our fans arent publicly boo'ing our top draft pick already. And we're not relying on Trent Green (lol) to save our franchise.

Your team is a mess.. Worry about your own.

Wake up clown, you should read and live by your own words, cause they are better fit for your team.

HHURRICANE
05-14-2007, 01:04 PM

Your team never makes mistakes that's why they were so good last year.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-14-2007, 01:11 PM
I say he better show something in training camp and preseason for them to extend him. He signed a CONTRACT. If he doesn't want to play football, fine.
Go sell shoes.
Otherwise, he needs to prove he is driven and motivated.
I can't think of a much worse recipe for disaster than to extend a guy that has not earned an extension. Not only does it set a bad precedent, it also sets the guy up to become one of those guys who plays when he wants to.

HHURRICANE
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I say he better show something in training camp and preseason for them to extend him. He signed a CONTRACT. If he doesn't want to play football, fine.
Go sell shoes.
Otherwise, he needs to prove he is driven and motivated.
I can't think of a much worse recipe for disaster than to extend a guy that has not earned an extension. Not only does it set a bad precedent, it also sets the guy up to become one of those guys who plays when he wants to.

The Bills have the resolve to handle this like when we didn't bend on McGahee and we are now forcing him to play out his contract and...oh, never mind.

HAMMER
05-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Wake up clown, you should read and live by your own words, cause they are better fit for your team.

I see another sweep this season. When you win you can speak, otherwise STFU.

The Answer
05-14-2007, 01:39 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/bills-walkawayfrom-darwinwalker140507.html

One year left on a deal with a gaudy statistical season last year would be one thing, but this situation? Hard to see the logic.

So in other words we gave up The Holcomb and Spikes for nothing? This is ludicrous.

~The Answer

feelthepain
05-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Your team never makes mistakes that's why they were so good last year.

Good thing this isn't last year then, is it??

ddaryl
05-14-2007, 02:41 PM
So in other words we gave up The Holcomb and Spikes for nothing? This is ludicrous.

~The Answer

no we recieved a draft pick for holcomb. I believe a 5th

feelthepain
05-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I see another sweep this season. When you win you can speak, otherwise STFU.

Gee, your teams never won anything, and yet you still speak. Unfortunately!

gr8slayer
05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Gee, your teams never won anything, and yet you still speak. Unfortunately!
And your team never won anything worth mentioning in your life time and yet you still speak.

Jan Reimers
05-14-2007, 03:18 PM
no we recieved a draft pick for holcomb. I believe a 5th
I'm surprised we got more than a used pair of Odor Eaters for Holcomb.

patmoran2006
05-14-2007, 05:17 PM
I just cant get over the title of this thread to begin with..

Walk away from Walker??? We traded a former Pro Bowl LB for him, and we should walk away from him before he even plays a down?

Granted, Spikes may or may not return to being a really good player. That's the risk Levy was willing to take. But we BETTER be able to have the guy we traded him for in camp, that's ridiculous otherwise. I refuse to believe Marv didnt take into account his contract when pulling the trigger. I've heard that Walker hasnt even visited Buffalo since we traded for him.

ParanoidAndroid
05-14-2007, 05:28 PM
And your team never won anything worth mentioning in your life time and yet you still speak.

The only experience that joker has with watching the Dolphins in the playoffs is Marv Levy's teams knocking them out every year and losing to the Jaguars by 60 points. :lolpoint: :squish:

HHURRICANE
05-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Don't forget our bet.

gr8slayer
05-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Funny you say that. All you talk about is what the Dolphins done in the past.

This is like beating up on a short bus kid. Quit posting and go back the Dolphins board.................. Oh wait, you can't, they have banned you for stupid posts like you post here.

feelthepain
05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Don't forget our bet.

Remind me....

Don't Panic
05-15-2007, 04:42 AM
Same site, opposite point of view...

On the contrary: Buffalo should give Darwin his due

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/bills-darwinwalker-hisdue150507.html

Whether the Bills decide to give Walker a new contract is entirely up to them, but some, including my colleague Anthony Bialy -- a regular analyst for the Bills here at RealFootball365 -- believe the team should (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/bills-walkawayfrom-darwinwalker140507.html) cut the 6-foot-3, 294-pounder loose if he isn't willing to work under the terms of his current contract.
I'll respectfully disagree with Mr. Bialy's viewpoint, though. First of all, if one is to believe Walker's agent, it seems the Bills knew the defender wanted a new contract when they traded for him. And while it's true that Walker is far from an elite lineman, he is serviceable at the very least. Buffalo's 'D' was its weak point a year ago, mostly because it couldn't stop the run (the Bills were 28th against the rush). The unit also had trouble rushing opposing quarterbacks, and that's where Walker comes in.
Last season, the 2000 third-round pick from the University of Tennessee garnered six sacks, which was good enough for sixth among the league's D-tackles. Over his entire career, Walker has totaled a solid 27½ regular-season sacks. Currently, the Bills' only true pass-rushing option is Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Schobel, who amassed 14 sacks in 2006. From there, Buffalo relies heavily on the likes of Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay, two fellow ends who aren't exactly fierce pass rushers.

I don't know... it would have to be a pretty reasonable deal in order to make sense (in other words, no Langston Walker money). These days though, those don't seem to be very prevalent in the league.

justasportsfan
05-15-2007, 08:27 AM
I doubt he'll be at the OTA's where the bills will take a look and see if they even need him.

Bert102176
05-16-2007, 12:48 PM

does stupidity flow with the Dolphins fans or is it just you

BillsFever21
05-16-2007, 01:08 PM
principle tho i mean do it for one everyone will try to up early, well most...i think u show the team something and dont and if he sits he doesnt get bad and just not a good career move

It would just show the team once again how cheap they are. They are sitting 20 million under their own cap theory and they won't re-sign any players. They have just got to be thrilled to be a Buffalo Bill when most of the players who the Bills will re-sign for hard work are the 2nd tier players that they won't have to pay that much money to.

If this was any of the other 31 teams in the NFL they would be 50 million under the salary cap. Just think of what we could have done with 50 million dollars as far as bring in some real FA's or even better re-signing our own young stars like Losman, Evans and Peters to long term contract that will keep them here through their prime.

Peters and Schobel are absolutely getting robbed for their productivity. When Kelsay is making more then Schobel and Walker is making more then Peters then there is something wrong with that and I'm sure they are not too happy about it.

If we don't keep Losman and Evans then this will really show the players that the Bills just want to put the cheapest product they can on the field. With all the money we have saved the past couple seasons that should easily be enough to be able to afford both of them. Peters and Schobel aren't going to sit tight for very long either when they are making almost half a season less then the crappy players playing the same position as them.