PDA

View Full Version : what is the "associated press"?

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 09:42 PM
i always see *insert name here* of the associated press says so and so..

what the hell is that anyway?:duel:

lordofgun
03-13-2003, 09:44 PM
It's a group of news reporters/photographers that go around and report on things. They are then paid dues by smaller newspaper, etc. to let them use their story in their newspaper / magazine / website, etc.

It's a way for small-town newspaper and other media to save money and still have something to print.

Tatonka
03-13-2003, 09:49 PM
oic.. how do i join? :D

Fatwhite02
03-13-2003, 10:58 PM
I am a journalist major. The AP is usually a group of journalists that are recent college grads. They report on a story and put it on what they call the wire. When a newspaper needs to fill space, they go to the wire and get one of these stories.

TigerJ
03-13-2003, 11:08 PM
I don't think that it is only small town newspapers who use the associated press. If something happens in Butte Montana that is newsworthy, the Buffalo News might want a story, but they're not going to fly a reporter out there to write something first hand. They'll print the AP story. It just makes economic sense. I would wager the NY Times and Washington Post, print AP stories.

lordofgun
03-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I don't think that it is only small town newspapers who use the associated press. If something happens in Butte Montana that is newsworthy, the Buffalo News might want a story, but they're not going to fly a reporter out there to write something first hand. They'll print the AP story. It just makes economic sense. I would wager the NY Times and Washington Post, print AP stories.

Exactly right.

Tatonka
03-14-2003, 12:09 AM
thats pretty cool.. never knew all that..

"kodi dog of the associated press reports tatonka is about to go smoke and then take a duece. he has been quoted as saying, "smoke the smoke to induce the duece""

wonder if can get my dog on the associated press if i sent in his body of work.. which is this post :lol:

SoCalBillsFan
03-14-2003, 12:10 AM
probably not

Tatonka
03-14-2003, 12:11 AM
ok.. i guess i though that was funnier than you did :pee:

Typ0
03-14-2003, 12:47 AM
anyone can submit material to AP. Most of the stories come from regional writers of organizations that subscribe to AP. AP is an information system. A news organization pays them a fee and then they set up a computer and printer that connects to the AP infrastructure and retrieves all the wire information and prints it out. The reporters then grab the wires and write up stories based on the material. The AP material is generally sent out as raw news but sometimes there also are complete articles written that are sent out. If AP buys an article from a writer, they can send it out to the network and the material can be used by anyone on the network. It is also used at television stations and radio stations to support their news activities. A typical activity in an NPR station is to grab the AP wire news, put a spin on it and then hand it off to the DJ to present it on the air.

There is a wealth of information about AP here:

http://www.ap.org/

SoCalBillsFan
03-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
ok.. i guess i though that was funnier than you did :pee:

I was just giving you a hard time, didn't mean for it to come across as insulting, sorry if it did!

Captain gameboy
03-16-2003, 02:41 PM
On matteres that I am knowlegeable of, the AP is the single most useless, uninformed media support group in existence.
If the AP were subjected to the same standards that normal corporate America is, they would get sued every day and be lone gone by now.
Totally useless filler.

WG
03-16-2003, 03:51 PM
It's one of many press syndicates.

14850BillsFan
03-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Acutally Tatonka I happen to work in the broadcast media and can tell ya it's not cheap. If you have about $13.000 a year to spend you can join. It's used by pretty much every broadcast and print medium in the country. Reuters is one of it's smaller but growing competitors out of Europe.

Tatonka
03-16-2003, 08:33 PM
do they take zone buck? if so.. i will have to work on my snake skills to beat venis for that 5k..

venis.. what level do you play on?