PDA

View Full Version : The reason for hope, refuting misconceptions!!

alohabillsfan
05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I actually prefer to be a glass is half full kinda guy, with that said here is why...

1) Lets go back to last year, before the by week we went 2-5 and avg 14.2 points per game. We made the following changes on the line, we moved Peters from RT to LT, moved Gandt from LT to LG and inserted a 7th round rooking at RT.

This change improved our offense production to the tune of 22.2 points per game and a record of 5-4. Of those 4 loses, 3 were by a total of 5 points!

Fast forward to 2007, Gandy is now a Cardinal and Dockery has been signed to replace him, my take is we improved.

Walker has been signed to replace Pennington at RT while I am not completely sold I trust the coaches to evaluate and I "assume" he is an upgrade.

Last but not least and maybe the biggest move was trading McGahee.. OBD went into the draft (and IMO) was going to draft Lynch at 12 no matter what! Why you may ask? He is the perfect fit for this offense, fast enough to get to the edge, big enough to run between the tackles and a pass receiving threat. Then draftning Wright in round 4 landed our thumper!

And while the defense on it's own may take a step back I believe with the improved offense running the ball and pass protection, then this defense can be good enough to win more than we lose and maybe just maybe we land a spot in the playoffs.

Again last years offense produced 22.2 PPG over the last 9 games. I think it will be capable of producing more than that year 2 with the improvements!!!

patmoran2006
05-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Not that I think this is a bad post.. But you barely make mention of the defense like its a small thing.

And you should also take into account it appears that we have a much tougher schedule.

And.. That both NE and the Jets greatly improved their team, while we're all debating if Buffalo even got any better than last year; which wasn't a winning team to begin with.

Jan Reimers
05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Pat, why do you and others assume - before we even go to summer camp - that the D will be worse than last year, particularly the D that finished the last several games?

We have at least 6 2nd year players who should make major jumps from their rookie seasons, plus a 2-time Bednarik winning LB and one of the better sack producing DTs of the last few years (assuming we get him signed) coming in. And all of the veterans get another year in the system.

You seem to assume that older guys like Spikes and Fletcher never decline, while concurrently believing that young players like Whitner, Simpson, Ellison, et. al. never develop and improve.

Couldn't we at least watch these guys play before we bash the bejesus out of them?

patmoran2006
05-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Im not saying the Bills CANT be better next year.. I've seen teams that were far worse than ours the year before make the playoffs the next.

But the defense is worse. I wouldnt care the cornerbacking is far worse off than last year.. But the fact the front seven is still very WEAK makes for a crap defense.

This team needs a DT who can stop the run (maybe there will be another Okoye type next year in the draft) as well as a DE that can stop the run as well. This defense is ONLY effective when other teams are forced to pass, and that doesnt happen nearly as often enough

alohabillsfan
05-14-2007, 11:07 AM
And you should also take into account it appears that we have a much tougher schedule.

It was only a matter of time.....................Out come the haters....

Lets see, last year we played;
*NE twice 12-4 Lost by 2 and 8
Jets twice 10-6 Split
* Balt 13-3 Lost by 12
* Indy 12-4 Lost by 1
* SD 14-2 Lost by 3
* Chicago 13-3 Got our a$$ kicked

* Denotes Division Winner

I'm willing to wager that this years schedule does not match last years 147-109

P.S. which was the toughest schedule in the league last year!

alohabillsfan
05-14-2007, 11:14 AM
This team needs a DT who can stop the run (maybe there will be another Okoye type next year in the draft) as well as a DE that can stop the run as well.
Let me get this straight, you think Okoye is a run stuffer? And if you find a run stuffing DE let me know how many sacks he has becuase in this defense thats what you need pressure from the front 4 (which they did well last year).

This defense is ONLY effective when other teams are forced to pass, and that doesnt happen nearly as often enough[/QUOTE]

So you do understand the concept! Maybe we have improved this offense enough to get 24-27 points per game, which should encourage the opposing team to pass a little more often. only time will tell!

feelthepain
05-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Pat, why do you and others assume - before we even go to summer camp - that the D will be worse than last year, particularly the D that finished the last several games?

The same reason you assume the Offense will be better.

Romes
05-14-2007, 11:26 AM
The same reason you assume the Offense will be better.

You're assuming that Jan is assuming that the offense will be better. :dizzy:

patmoran2006
05-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Maybe we have improved this offense enough to get 24-27 points per game, which should encourage the opposing team to pass a little more often. only time will tell!

While I am happy and do agree that Dockery/Lynch are both upgrades over Gandy/McGahee, to me that doesnt make entirely for a better offense.

I'm stil very concerned about how the right side of our Offensive Line will play, and IMO there is garbage behind Lee Evans at WR. Sure, Price, Reed and Parrish will make some big plays occasionally, but there is no consistency and none are a legit #2 WR.

You cannot expect an offense to put up 24-27 points per game with no #2 WR and a questionable right side of the line- Not to mention our tight end is dookie.

The one X-Factor not nearly discussed enough is Losman. If he continues to get BETTER than this can make for an exciting season offensively. But as much as he improved last year, he'll have to be even better this year.

alohabillsfan
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM
You cannot expect an offense to put up 24-27 points per game with no #2 WR and a questionable right side of the line- Not to mention our tight end is dookie.

Last years offense put up 22.2 over the last 9 games, so I am not asking a ton here just another FG or 2! Over that 9 game span we were 5-4 and 3 of those losses were by a combined 5 points, lost to Indy and Tenn by 1 and SD by 3.

So with
Dockery>Gandy No Brainer
Lynch> McGhaee Better Pass receiver, quicker
Walker>Pennington At least I am hoping
Wright=Atrain

The key really is RT, if Walker lives up or close to his contract then we can spread the field a little more and involve the TE into this offense. And yes JP has to continue to progress.

Goobylal
05-14-2007, 12:20 PM
While I am happy and do agree that Dockery/Lynch are both upgrades over Gandy/McGahee, to me that doesnt make entirely for a better offense.

I'm stil very concerned about how the right side of our Offensive Line will play, and IMO there is garbage behind Lee Evans at WR. Sure, Price, Reed and Parrish will make some big plays occasionally, but there is no consistency and none are a legit #2 WR.

The one X-Factor not nearly discussed enough is Losman. If he continues to get BETTER than this can make for an exciting season offensively. But as much as he improved last year, he'll have to be even better this year.
The offense will definitely be better. Dockery is a huge upgrade over Gandy, Lynch will prove to be an upgrade over McGahee, not only as a runner, but as a receiver and blocker as well. And remember that RB is the easiest position for a rookie to make an impact. Speaking of Lynch and receiving, that will help the passing game, so while you're correct that there's still no bonafide #2, it's not like it has gotten worse. And as for the right side, worse comes to worst, they put Pennington back in at RT and have Walker play RG.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
I am a cynic for the most part, I know.
That said, how can people say we don't have a legit. #2 receiver? I think we have too many legit #2 receivers, but the coaching staff can't just settle on a guy and give him the reps needed to become steady. They keep wanting to play with all their toys instead of just installing a consistent game plan for one guy.