PDA

View Full Version : This Writer Gets It

BuffaloBlakely14
05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Finally someone in the national media that understands what is going on in Buffalo, and can see through the big name ESPN Hype machine.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/05/11/afc.personnel/index.html

BUFFALO BILLS

How can the Bills survive the loss of LBs London Fletcher-Baker and Takeo Spikes?

They will actually be better defensively. Fletcher-Baker and Spikes were good players during their tenure in Buffalo, but both were on the downside of their careers and not great fits in Dick Jauron's Cover Two defense. The youthful trio of Paul Posluszny, Keith Ellison and Angelo Crowell will make some mistakes early on, but have the skills to develop into solid contributors.

Luisito23
05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Am I really that high, or am I seeing triple.....:smoke:....

GO BILLS!!!!!

OpIv37
05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=126903

it's been posted.

And the writer is overly optimistic.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Now this is a true "homer" post.
Find someone in the media saying something good about your team and latching on to it, whether it's accurate or not.

I agree with most of that except for when he comes right out and says the Bills
WILL be better defensively.

Nobody knows what we will have yet.....we could be worse, better, or about the same.

All we can do is hope for the best.

Some of us have been beaten into expecting the worst (and rightfully so) at the same time.

EDS
05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Is the author of that article the same dude that the Bills wasted a second round draft pick on?

Jan Reimers
05-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Ah, he must be an idiot like me. He actually believes that there is a time to replace declining players with young players, and the young players can really get better.

Blasphemy. We all know this can't be.

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Ah, he must be an idiot like me. He actually believes that there is a time to replace declining players with young players, and the young players can really get better.

C'mon Jan, of all people here you should support the old guys the most. :D

George Allen would be proud of the mindset on this board.

John Doe
05-14-2007, 03:45 PM
On one hand, we have a bunch of sourpusses saying that it is totally unreasonable to expect the linebackers to play better.

On the other hand, we have a former NFL player who is an analyst for a respectable publication inferring that it is quite possible (in his opinion) that the linebacking will be better.

I am not saying that the linebacking will be better but it is certainly quite possible.

kgun12
05-14-2007, 03:55 PM

Ya I feel the same way! Loved London and TKO but it was time. London may have a decent year, but most of his tackles will still be 5 yards down field. TKO will never be the same.

Jan Reimers
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
C'mon Jan, of all people here you should support the old guys the most. :D

George Allen would be proud of the mindset on this board.
No, Doc, now that I'm old, I really understand better than anyone here the limitations that age brings! Let's get young!

The Answer
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Finally someone in the national media that understands what is going on in Buffalo, and can see through the big name ESPN Hype machine.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/05/11/afc.personnel/index.html

BUFFALO BILLS

How can the Bills survive the loss of LBs London Fletcher-Baker and Takeo Spikes?

They will actually be better defensively. Fletcher-Baker and Spikes were good players during their tenure in Buffalo, but both were on the downside of their careers and not great fits in Dick Jauron's Cover Two defense. The youthful trio of Paul Posluszny, Keith Ellison and Angelo Crowell will make some mistakes early on, but have the skills to develop into solid contributors.

No this writer does not 'get it' - The only player that The Answer has any confidence in is Crowell.

Ellison is still borderline camp fodder and will be exposed big time without Fletcher - POZ is a rookie and going to have to be spectacular to avoid the bust label given the fact he was a day 2 prospect that we reached for in the 2nd round.

~The Answer

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-14-2007, 04:01 PM
On one hand, we have a bunch of sourpusses saying that it is totally unreasonable to expect the linebackers to play better.

On the other hand, we have a former NFL player who is an analyst for a respectable publication inferring that it is quite possible (in his opinion) that the linebacking will be better.

I am not saying that the linebacking will be better but it is certainly quite possible.

Now, look at what you are saying, and agree with me on this at least.

It is definately unreasonable to EXPECT the linebackers to be better this year than last year.
Yes, we hope they will be, but how foolish is it to EXPECT it?

Also...I agree it is possible that the linebacking will be better.
Isn't also possible that it will be worse?

I just don't like absolutes when it comes to prognostication.

John Doe
05-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Now, look at what you are saying, and agree with me on this at least.

It is definately unreasonable to EXPECT the linebackers to be better this year than last year.
Yes, we hope they will be, but how foolish is it to EXPECT it?

Also...I agree it is possible that the linebacking will be better.
Isn't also possible that it will be worse?

I just don't like absolutes when it comes to prognostication.

Why would it be unreasonable to expect the linebacking to be better?

We have someone who is writing for a respected publication who expects it - why shouldn't I?

It is certainly possible that the linebacking will be worse, but it is just as possible for it to be better.

I have seen rookie linebackers play like all-stars before (Zack Thomas comes to mind). Pos is one of the most decorated college linebackers of all time with physical ability to go along with a football IQ that is through the roof. I expect him to play very good football.

There were times last year when Ellison looked like an all-star as a rookie. Go back and look at films of the Miami game. I did not see him play poorly even when he was thrown into the fray in his first game.

Crowell looked like a great player at the end of 2005 and the beginning of 2006.

It is not unreasonable to expect these guys to give us better play than last year.

justasportsfan
05-14-2007, 04:49 PM

anything positive is unreasonable .

justasportsfan
05-14-2007, 04:52 PM
We have someone who is writing for a respected publication who expects it - why shouldn't I?

It is not unreasonable to expect these guys to give us better play than last year.

we all know only wannabe jr. writers that write blogs are credible. Everyone else is unreasonable.

OpIv37
05-14-2007, 04:58 PM

I just love the homerism on this board. When they pan Marv's 06 draft or criticize us for losing so many defensive players in this off-season or rank us in the bottom half of the league, it's "the media doesn't respect Buffalo" and "these sportswriters don't pay enough attention to our team" and "if those draft gurus really knew anything they'd be working for an NFL team instead of some website that no one reads" (after the poster just read their mock, no less).

Yet, the second the VERY SAME media comes out with something complimentary of the Bills, they gain credibility around here. Nice.

OpIv37
05-14-2007, 05:01 PM
also, people are missing a key part of this assessment:

"make mistakes early on".

Well, what's "early on" A quarter of the season? Half? And more importantly, how many games will we lose during that span?

I really could see this D coming together in 08 or maybe even late this season, depending on how quickly the rookies and 2nd year guys develop and which ones pan out for us. But early in the season, this D will struggle- and even the guy that Justa and John Doe and Jan are defending thinks so.

John Doe
05-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I just love the homerism on this board. When they pan Marv's 06 draft or criticize us for losing so many defensive players in this off-season or rank us in the bottom half of the league, it's "the media doesn't respect Buffalo" and "these sportswriters don't pay enough attention to our team" and "if those draft gurus really knew anything they'd be working for an NFL team instead of some website that no one reads" (after the poster just read their mock, no less).

Yet, the second the VERY SAME media comes out with something complimentary of the Bills, they gain credibility around here. Nice.

The sourpusses have missed the point here.

The sourpuss line is that only Bills fans looking through rose colored glasses could expect an improvement in our linebacker play this season and that anyone other than a "homer" would not be that unreasonable.

Now we can see that the sourpusses are wrong: a professional analyst is capable of that opinion.

I am not saying that his opinon is right or wrong or that the sourpuss opinion is right or wrong.

What I am saying is that this article shows that not all football analysts think like the sourpusses and that it is not unreasonable to expect improvement.

OpIv37
05-14-2007, 05:16 PM
The sourpusses have missed the point here.

The sourpuss line is that only Bills fans looking through rose colored glasses could expect an improvement in our linebacker play this season and that anyone other than a "homer" would not be that unreasonable.

Now we can see that the sourpusses are wrong: a professional analyst is capable of that opinion.

I am not saying that his opinon is right or wrong or that the sourpuss opinion is right or wrong.

What I am saying is that this article shows that all not football analysts think like the sourpusses and that it is not unreasonable to expect improvement.

please- we're called "negative nancies" or "whiners". Not "sourpusses".

and for the record, I never said we couldn't expect improvement from the young players- I said it would be unreasonable to expect ENOUGH improvement to compensate for losing 3 starters and still improve on the 28th overall run D.

justasportsfan
05-14-2007, 05:18 PM
please- we're called "negative nancies" or "whiners". Not "sourpusses".
you forgot whiny B1tches.

John Doe
05-14-2007, 05:21 PM
and for the record, I never said we couldn't expect improvement from the young players- I said it would be unreasonable to expect ENOUGH improvement to compensate for losing 3 starters and still improve on the 28th overall run D.

We now have a professional analyst that disagrees with you.

patmoran2006
05-14-2007, 05:22 PM
When you guys talk about "time to get better' and "youth" and rebuilding, etc.

Are you honestly taken into account the attendance situation? Are you honestly remembering that we had four straight games blacked out? Are you taking into account the Sabres now have a WAITING list for season tickets, and dont say that doesn't mean anything because the average fan is fans of both teams but can't afford season tix for both.

I'm not being sarcastic I'm being serious here. "Time to get better" is over with, and the second half of last season at the box office should be considered Exhibit A. The attendance plummet last year is rarely discussed on here, but can NOT be dismissed.

This team better start winning, period... Or last year will seem like nothing compared to the empty seats we'll be seeing. I know that sounds cynical but like it or not its the truth. I cant tell you how many people I know who are now former season ticket holders. The bottom line is if this team wants to sell out the Ralph, it better start winning. Fans are getting sick of the "rebuilding" excuse- whether you admit it or not.

Jan Reimers
05-14-2007, 05:37 PM
What I don't understand is, how do we get better without adding young players? And how do THEY get better without playing?

We've missed the playoffs 7 straight years with the guys we've had. Do we continue with them, or do we make some changes?

I know some would prefer veteran free agents, but Marv has chosen not to go the Vincent-Milloy-Adams-Fletcher-Spikes route, and I'm glad. That group got Willy Parkered when it counted the most.

I'd just as soon bite the bullet with younger players.

OpIv37
05-14-2007, 05:43 PM
What I don't understand is, how do we get better without adding young players? And how do THEY get better without playing?

We've missed the playoffs 7 straight years with the guys we've had. Do we continue with them, or do we make some changes?

I know some would prefer veteran free agents, but Marv has chosen not to go the Vincent-Milloy-Adams-Fletcher-Spikes route, and I'm glad. That group got Willy Parkered when it counted the most.

I'd just as soon bite the bullet with younger players.

The key word is SOME- Marv chose "ALL". I don't see what the problem is with mixing youth with experience. Clearly we're not good enough- I don't know why all the improvements have to come from internally or why every single position has to be shaken up at the same friggin time.

justasportsfan
05-14-2007, 05:45 PM
haha! Goodluck talking to a wall Jan.

BuffaloBlakely14
05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I am far from a homer.

I just happen to strongly agree with this writer on this topic. Sometimes I wonder what London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes some of you guys were watching last year. They were far from there star former selves, and while Fletcher was a very good LB, he was far from a great one worth resigning. I realize these young guys are going to make mistakes, and quite possibly cost us some games next year, but I think that this is the right move. These guys have to play, and we have to get them experience. Takeo did not want to be here anymore, and I dont believe that Fletcher was worth resigning.

Maybe my original post was a little strong in what I said, but I am not a homer, I am definitely a realist. I never said we were winning the Super Bowl, I didn't even say that we were getting to the playoffs, but I do like the direction things are going. I think 9-7 would be a step in the right direction next year.

I may be a little optimistic in what I think of the players on this team, and the direction of this team, but is that not what being a fan is about, before you say anything, I am not saying because you are negative that you are not a fan, I just would rather be a happy one. Some of you guys pride yourself on being negative and hating everything that this team does. I may be overly optimistic and may be a little more disappointed than some of you guys next year when things dont go exactly how I thought that they would, but at least I will spend half the year happy and thinking good things about my favorite football team.

Night Train
05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
It was time for change but some are blinded by shining stars that burned brightest 3-4 years ago.

Moving Fletcher, Spikes and McGahee was the right thing to do for various reasons discussed ad nauseum.

We lost with them, we can improve without them.

B-DON
05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
haha! Goodluck talking to a wall Jan.

Do you ever contribute any football knowledge to this board?

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2007, 07:07 PM
The key word is SOME- Marv chose "ALL". I don't see what the problem is with mixing youth with experience. Clearly we're not good enough- I don't know why all the improvements have to come from internally or why every single position has to be shaken up at the same friggin time.

But you ***** about the experience they do bring in.

They bring in a couple of guys each year. Probably as many as any teams.

People seem to forget that what TD left Marv was a complete anti-thesis of a Levy team. That is why it is taking him two plus seasons to fix the mess.

People can say they are sick of rebuilding. But there is a reality that it will take some time with a new regime. Bringing in veterans to fix all of the holes does not work. For the longterm success of this team, the draft should be the key component.

Today's soceity is all about instant gratification. There is no patience anymore. And before somebody throws out "ten years", I am aware of that. However, Marv and crew started with little.

User Manuel
05-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Is this the same Bucky Brook's we wasted a 2nd Round draft pick on?

You know, he might be right. But, it is hard to accept that immediately 2 young players will replace two highly thought of veterans.

mybills
05-15-2007, 07:00 AM

:rofl: :bf1: :respect:

patmoran2006
05-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Do you ever contribute any football knowledge to this board?Rarely

EDS
05-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Is this the same Bucky Brook's we wasted a 2nd Round draft pick on?

You know, he might be right. But, it is hard to accept that immediately 2 young players will replace two highly thought of veterans.

Apparently it is the same dude. I guess he owes the Bills something!

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Well, I guess the sunshine clan won't agree that it is unreasonable to EXPECT that a Rookie player, or a second year player will be as good immediately as a seasoned veteran.

I just don't see the logic in EXPECTING that to happen.

I may come off as a negative biotch in the past year (maybe more), but it is a result of the overall sad state of affairs with the Bills.

I don't see how some guys remain optimistic year after year after year....while not seeing the needle move in the right direction.

I do like a majority of the moves made in the draft and free agency over the last two years. I do agree that our current regime is paying for the mistakes made by Donahoe and company. I just see too many signs that the thought processes are not different enough to lead us to improvement. We still have Modrak hanging around; we have ownership that has tightened the purse strings, we have a GM that admits to not really knowing much about the salary cap, and we are still hanging on to certain players that have not fully earned a spot on this team.

I am ALL for letting young guys play, taking your lumps and moving forward.
I don't like hanging onto guys because it is comfortable to do so.

I just won't ever agree with ANYONE who says "This guy WILL be better, or the Defense/Offense/Etc WILL be better.
Nor will I agree with ANYONE who says the opposite---"This guy WILL NOT be better, etc.

Absolutes suck.

raphael120
05-15-2007, 11:47 AM
What would be nice is if our DT's that are actually depth wise, deep, and experience wise...one of the most experienced areas on the defense now, would step up and take pressure off the young LB core, so while you may see a weaker LB core at first, the DL will be doing better to stop the run...but it's what SHOULD happen with vets and younger players...but, again, stats last year don't lie.