• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Edwards on track after slipping in draft

The Brady Quinn saga was perhaps the biggest story of the 2007 NFL Draft, but the former Notre Dame star, a possible No. 1 overall pick who fell to No. 22, wasn’t the only highly rated quarterback who slid down the board a couple of weeks ago.

“I definitely know how he feels,” said Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards, the former Stanford signal caller who was projected in most circles as an early second-round choice, but fell into the Bills’ lap in the third round.

The Bills, who had planned on addressing their backup quarterback situation in the later rounds, couldn’t believe Edwards was still available and jumped at the chance to bring him to Buffalo.

“In talking to the people who were pretty close to the draft, they were saying that I would go earlier than I wound up going, so those expectations were there,” Edwards said Monday upon completion of the Bills’ rookie orientation at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

“But the guys who make the mock drafts and the analysts aren’t the guys actually doing the picking. I had that full awareness going into it. I’m thrilled to be in the position I’m in, playing for a coaching staff that wants me and a general manager that wants me.”

The Bills wrapped up three days of pad-less practices designed to give their draft choices, rookie free agents and try-out invitees, such as former Syracuse quarterback Perry Patterson, a chance to strut their stuff and start learning Buffalo’s offensive and defensive terminology.

Quarterback is one position where general manager Marv Levy can actually formulate some early opinions.

“Our impressions were favorable,” he said of Edwards. “For a tall guy, there’s no ganglyness about him, he has good body control. We thought, in the few instances he had to read a defense and go to the proper receiver, he did it well and quickly, and his arm looked fine.”

Fans can expect to see plenty of Edwards as he battles with Craig Nall for the backup job behind starter J.P. Losman.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Edwards on track after slipping in draft

I smell a QB controversy in a few years.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mchurchfie
      Not this year. He'll hold a clipboard and won't be thrown to the wolves. A good situation for him to learn what Fairchild is doing. Nall is the backup.

It's all up to Losman. He must continue to make improvements in his game and show he can run the Offense that Fairchild envisions. Has to read the safety better over the middle and not allow the CB's to jump on his throws, when the WR's run the out patterns. He must improve in those phases of his game. Plus he now has 2 new RB's who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Better practice his swing passes. We need to move the chains and keep drives going.

If so, then the contract extension will come. If not, Edwards is here to be the next starter.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

It's great to have a young, quality QB here. If JP underperforms, or performs so well that he leaves for megabucks, we're covered.

If JP becomes a great QB and stays, we seem to have a guy who can back him up and play well in case of injury.

Kudos to Marv for strengthening the most important position on the team.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

I'd much rather have him, then any 2nd. or 3rd. tier CB.....Great job as usual Marv!!.......

GO BILLS!!!!
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Dont drink the water
            • Oct 2005

Bills can not be held ransom by any player whose agent or fans over evaluate him so having a rookie QB who is not a UDFA or last round pick is a good idea.

Comment

• casdhf
              • Jul 2002

We'll deal him for a #1 and a #3 in a couple seasons.
              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

either that or JP continues to get better every year and Edwards becomes our Matt Shaub. Future trade bait.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Uhhh, in a few months. I'm not joking and I don't like it. This looks like Willis McGahee all over again with Travis Henry. Losman needed to come into camp with security.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    Uhhh, in a few months. I'm not joking and I don't like it. This looks like Willis McGahee all over again with Travis Henry. Losman needed to come into camp with security.

Haha! We'll see how good Edwards is once the pads come on. All you hear are 7-7 drills without hits. The QB's usually looks good during these drills unless you're from Syracuse.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YoungMoney
                      ~ Greatest Rapper Alive ~
                      • May 2007

Marv aint Donahoe, remember that!

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

It's JP job to lose....

and Edwards won't see any starts unless he beats out Nall as the #2 and JP is injured.

I fully expect JP to be a better QB from last season so any of this premature QB controversy talk is laughable IMO. Tis isn't the Butler or Donahue era....

Comment

• The Answer
                          The Plagiarist
                          • Mar 2007

Unfortunately it's already began - The Young Gun is turning heads already from what The Answer has heard.

We are most certainly going to see what Losman is truly made of now.

~The Answer

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

..with security? There needs to be competition at every position on the field. It's real simple, play well or ride the pine.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

What makes Edwards better then the other 4 QB's drafted before him after the 1st round?

The NFL scouts must clearly think more of them then they do Edwards. You all are talking like Edwards is a sure thing and he's either going to be the starter or we will get a 1st and 3rd out of him. The Kool-Aid must be pretty good today.

So I guess with being the 6th QB taken in the draft that makes him a sure thing. If all of them guys ahead of him are more highly touted then I guess some believe at least 4 of these QB's will be great players.

How many late 3rd/4th round QB's are taken every year? At least 2 or 3 every single season. How many of them end up being good? Most of them you never hear of again. I guess Edwards is different because he is in Buffalo though.

The way I see it you had Detroit and Miami who needed a QB now and not later and they thought less of Edwards then Beck and Stanton. Philly didn't seriously need a QB right now and they thought less of Edwards then Kolb for the QB they wanted to groom for the future.

The amatuer draft scouts and analyst thought highly of Edwards but most of the rest of the NFL who needed QB's did not. I know Marv is smarter then all of them guys though so Edwards will be the next Manning.
                              Last edited by BillsFever21; 05-15-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X