X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Saints cut this poor guy 12 minutes into camp

Big gamble on defensive end doesn't pay off Saints quickly cut out-of-shape Thomas
    Monday, May 14, 2007
    By Benjamin Hochman

Walter Thomas' Saints career ended almost as soon as it began.

Just 12 minutes into Thomas' first minicamp, Saints coaches sent the rookie free agent to the training room. Coach Sean Payton then decided that the 6-foot-5, 375-pound defensive linemen was unfit to participate in camp.

"It was a situation where, from a conditioning standpoint, he had a long way to go," Payton said. "He struggled."

Every spring, the Saints sign rookies who've gone undrafted, but few arrive with the hoopla and mystery surrounding Thomas.

Signed by Coach Les Miles at Oklahoma State in 2004, Thomas flunked out as a freshman and ended up at Northwest Mississippi Community College. He sat out 2005 and in 2006 played in two games, totaling 16 tackles. He was arrested and dismissed from the team, pending criminal charges. So he decided to take a shot at the NFL.

The Saints took a chance on Thomas, who can run the 40-yard dash in less than five seconds and can do back flips with ease.

According to Thomas' agent, Martin Magid, Thomas said his head hurt during the drills, but he still was able to compete. When trainers told him he appeared dehydrated and gave him intravenous fluids, Thomas still felt confident he could return to the field.

"He was a free agent we signed after the draft, and you have no way of measuring where he's at from a conditioning standpoint," Payton said. "So, you're somewhat guarded with everyone."

Magid said he was puzzled that the team cut Thomas so quickly.

"It doesn't add up," he said. "He's worked out for the team. He's been a football player his whole life."

Magid said three other NFL teams had expressed interest in Thomas, and the agent thought his client could get in shape for his next look-see.

"We'll talk to the teams, tell them Walter's side of what happened and move on," Magid said. "He wants to prove himself to the Saints and the football world. I'm not going to stop believing in the kid."

They could have at least waited until after practice.
  • Dont drink the water
    • Oct 2005

Re: Saints cut this poor guy 12 minutes into camp

See NE39's thread:

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Geez, he didn't even make it to the post-practice buffet?
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Ya somebody posted a much more condensed version of this yesterday, but they never mentioned 12 minutes! Im surprised that this huge man who runs sub-5 40 times isnt in good enough shape to participate in a practice. I ran around a 4.9 in HS and I was a running back (a slow one, but I was in damn good shape). Just another guy with all the physical tools and pretty much nothing else

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
          Ya somebody posted a much more condensed version of this yesterday, but they never mentioned 12 minutes! Im surprised that this huge man who runs sub-5 40 times isnt in good enough shape to participate in a practice. I ran around a 4.9 in HS and I was a running back (a slow one, but I was in damn good shape). Just another guy with all the physical tools and pretty much nothing else
          Sounds like there's a lot more around his middle than in his head.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

but he's under 5 seconds, he must be great.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Fast Forward March 2008 .

" The Greatest 12 Minutes Of My Life " just reached #3 on the NY Times bestseller list. Walter Thomas, now lead spokeperson for Quizno's Subs, will be appearing on the Today Show to speak about his must read book.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Night Train
                Fast Forward March 2008 .

" The Greatest 12 Minutes Of My Life " just reached #3 on the NY Times bestseller list. Walter Thomas, now lead spokeperson for Quizno's Subs, will be appearing on the Today Show to speak about his must read book.
                co-authored by Willis Mcgahee, who interjects his own "sub"-story from the sidelines of the ralph....

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

Sorry for the double post, I didn't see it.

Now, is there another post from someone saying we should bring this guy in?

Comment

• tampabay25690
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                    4.9 in HS Running back, wow I wish I got to play you in 95. I ran a 4.7 and was a LB/Safety.
                    GO Gators!!!!!!
                    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

We should take a look at him.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                        The only reason they would not is because Ralph is cheap.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Comment

• pintonick96
                            You guys are all nerds. Just give me team updates and STFU.
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                            4.9 in HS Running back, wow I wish I got to play you in 95. I ran a 4.7 and was a LB/Safety.
                            Yeah I ran a 4.8-4.9 and was a DE. By your standards Im Javon Kearse in his heyday.

Comment

Working...
                            X