PDA

View Full Version : QB Controversy is inevitable.

HHURRICANE
05-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Trent Edwards is already getting love out of the Bills organization and we haven't even put pads on the kid yet.

Before you give me the Kelly/Reich argumnet let's remember that Jim Kelly is a HOF player that was great from day one starting with the USFL. JP played very well in his last 9 starts and deserves to be number 1 going into camp.

But this kid isn't going away. He's pissed that he was a 3rd rounder so don't think he' coming in here and wants to sit on the bench.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I think giving JP a year of controversy free play would have been good for him and his confidence. I understand that Edwards was hard to pass on but I just see another Willis/Travis event happening.

The bottom line is that Marv isn't looking at 2007 as a winning season but is continuing to build for the future, I respect it, but unfortunately I have to watch the 2007 season first.

justasportsfan
05-15-2007, 08:29 AM
can we merge this thread please.

:boring:

HHURRICANE
05-15-2007, 08:33 AM
can we merge this thread please.

:boring:

After calling me a moran yesterday, which Pat might get upset about, now you want to merge my threads. Different topic altogether.

QB controversy is going to happen this year before the season begins. Watch.

madness
05-15-2007, 08:35 AM
There is no controversy. Until he beats out Nall, he's #3 on the chart.

THATHURMANATOR
05-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Only if Douchebags won't shut up about it....

Earthquake Enyart
05-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Holy Grail.....

justasportsfan
After calling me a moran yesterday, which Pat might get upset about, now you want to merge my threads. Different topic altogether.

I Didn't call you one. I said don't be one.

ublinkwescore

I don't see it.

I think this coaching staff is smart enough to realize that things often happen a lot differently when people aren't going at practice speed with the pads on.

Remember RJ was a hell of a practice QB - hopefully Ralph remembers that, and if the coaching staff gets any funny ideas, I hope this is one case in which he will meddle.

THATHURMANATOR
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Holy Grail.....
Seriously.

gil
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Can you define "getting love from the Bills organization"? - I mean, they drafted the kid, what do you expect them to say - "damn, he sucks"

THATHURMANATOR
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Can you define "getting love from the Bills organization"? - I mean, they drafted the kid, what do you expect them to say - "damn, he sucks"
No usually the Bills don't like the guys they draft. Edwards is the exception however....

feelthepain
05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Trent Edwards is already getting love out of the Bills organization and we haven't even put pads on the kid yet.

Before you give me the Kelly/Reich argumnet let's remember that Jim Kelly is a HOF player that was great from day one starting with the USFL. JP played very well in his last 9 starts and deserves to be number 1 going into camp.

But this kid isn't going away. He's pissed that he was a 3rd rounder so don't think he' coming in here and wants to sit on the bench.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I think giving JP a year of controversy free play would have been good for him and his confidence. I understand that Edwards was hard to pass on but I just see another Willis/Travis event happening.

The bottom line is that Marv isn't looking at 2007 as a winning season but is continuing to build for the future, I respect it, but unfortunately I have to watch the 2007 season first.

As long as he can stay healthy, he's a good addition.

ublinkwescore
05-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Not to mention, it's not like he's lighting it up against our starting D - when we start hearing about him successfully looking off Whitner and Simpson, or taking what the D gives him instead of forcing things, or getting the D to jump offsides, then you start to worry (or do you?).

justasportsfan
05-15-2007, 08:54 AM
it's a smokescreen. I think the bills really want that qb from Syracuse to beat out Nall and eventually be our franchise qb.

Philagape
05-15-2007, 09:23 AM
There's no comparison to McGahee/Henry. Big difference between first and third round.

Plus, Edwards was chosen for his value, not his position. If he had already been gone, as the Bills and a lot of others expected, we would not have taken a QB in the third.

The ONLY way he is a threat to JP is if JP regresses.

JJamezz
05-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Henry was very immature and had an incredibly fragile ego.. he lost his starting job the moment the Bills pick was in for McGahee - instead of stepping up his game, he let it get to him, felt sorry for himself, and his play suffered.

JP will thrive on the competition, he's already shown that. Call me crazy, but I actually feel BETTER now that there's a guy on the roster to push him, and make sure he doesn't get complacent.

And did anybody read the REST of what Fairchild said, about how he believes JP can become a top 5 NFL QB? Unless he thinks Edwards is a top FOUR quarterback, JP is obviously their guy.

Jan Reimers
05-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Only death, taxes and negative posts on the BillsZone are inevitable.

If JP continues to develop, there will be no controversy, except among those who would throw JP under the bus even if he throws for 5,000 yards and 50 TDs.

If JP doesn't play well, AND Edwards looks like the real deal, then let the best man win.

mybills
05-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Trent Edwards is pissed that he was a 3rd rounder so don't think he' coming in here and wants to sit on the bench.
Link please?

patmoran2006
05-15-2007, 10:16 AM
The only controversy that could occur is if Losman started the season struggling, got hurt and Edwards, after beating Nall for the #2 spot, came in for 2-3 games and played really well and Buffalo won.

Outside of that scenario, there won't be a controversy. Though isnt that exactly what happened with Johnson/Flutie?

madness
05-15-2007, 10:53 AM
The only controversy that could occur is if Losman started the season struggling, got hurt and Edwards, after beating Nall for the #2 spot, came in for 2-3 games and played really well and Buffalo won.

That's the only way I could see it happening.

The Answer
05-15-2007, 11:13 AM

The Answer's sources have told him that The Young Gun has been lights out in mini-camp - and this kid is the real deal as The Answer had him graded as a mid 1st round pick, even graded higher than Brady Quinn in some of The Answer's fundamental evaluation areas.

Just remember though - JP LOSMAN IS STILL THE STARTER TROLLS!!!!!

~The Answer

Michael82
05-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Henry was very immature and had an incredibly fragile ego.. he lost his starting job the moment the Bills pick was in for McGahee - instead of stepping up his game, he let it get to him, felt sorry for himself, and his play suffered.

JP will thrive on the competition, he's already shown that. Call me crazy, but I actually feel BETTER now that there's a guy on the roster to push him, and make sure he doesn't get complacent.

And did anybody read the REST of what Fairchild said, about how he believes JP can become a top 5 NFL QB? Unless he thinks Edwards is a top FOUR quarterback, JP is obviously their guy.
I pray your right. But part of me believes exactly what HHURRICANE is saying. The Bills are shoving this quarterback down our throat. Everything I read from the Bills site and other media sites talk about Edwards and praise him. Don't you think all this has to be bothering Losman a bit? This guy has been ****ed over so many times, I'm sure he's a bit nervous or at least pissed off! I know I would be.

madness
05-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I pray your right. But part of me believes exactly what HHURRICANE is saying. The Bills are shoving this quarterback down our throat. Everything I read from the Bills site and other media sites talk about Edwards and praise him. Don't you think all this has to be bothering Losman a bit? This guy has been ****ed over so many times, I'm sure he's a bit nervous or at least pissed off! I know I would be.

Only if he's insecure. :D

How many times have we heard DJ and Marv say that "JP is our guy"? I don't even see how it's even possible that JP will struggle enough to lose his spot. The progression he made over the second half of the season was staggering and it would be even more staggering if he digressed twice as fast. So much that then he probably isn't "the guy".

Also if he's seriously worried or pissed and it starts to affect his play, then that's just another sign that he can't handle the pressure of an NFL caliber QB. I seriously doubt anything of the above will come true so it's basically all moot to discuss.

Does anybody honestly think A-Train is so worried about Lynch and Wright that it's going to drastically affect his play? I think not. Athletes are born and bred on competition. They're well aware that if they can't cut it, someone else will. As soon as someone lets these type of worrisome thoughts into his head and lets it affect his performance, he mind as well hang up his cleats.

raphael120
05-16-2007, 12:12 PM
If JP loses the job to a rookie, then by all means, he should not be starting for the Buffalo Bills.

doug45
05-16-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't really see a controversy, Nall isn't that ggod and Edwards has had 5 or 6 injuries to his sholder and should never have been taken. We have to pray JP can pick up his game or we are in trouble. The reason I wanted a good QB picked was that even if JP plays great he could get hurt and then we are up the creek!!

The Answer
05-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't really see a controversy, Nall isn't that ggod and Edwards has had 5 or 6 injuries to his sholder and should never have been taken. We have to pray JP can pick up his game or we are in trouble. The reason I wanted a good QB picked was that even if JP plays great he could get hurt and then we are up the creek!!

Don't sell this kid Edwards short - he has a rocket arm and all the tools necessary to become a franchise QB in this league.

We are fortunate to have landed him late in the 3rd round and The Answer is confident that he will step in and produce if called upon - unfortunately it will likely lead to a QB controversy though.

~The Answer

doug45
05-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Don't sell this kid Edwards short - he has a rocket arm and all the tools necessary to become a franchise QB in this league.

We are fortunate to have landed him late in the 3rd round and The Answer is confident that he will step in and produce if called upon - unfortunately it will likely lead to a QB controversy though.

~The Answer

I hope you are right but they say this about every new QB that comes to camp. I will be going to a meet the team thing, in a few weeks and see this guy up close in a work out, I will let you know what I see.

The Answer
05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I hope you are right but they say this about every new QB that comes to camp. I will be going to a meet the team thing, in a few weeks and see this guy up close in a work out, I will let you know what I see.

The Answer does a lot of scouting in the Pac-10 ranks and has already seen The Young Gun in action, up close and personal and he will blow you away with his precision passing.

Also - The Answer had him graded as a late 1st round pick on the big board and grades out better than Brady Quinn in some categories.

~The Answer

doug45
05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
The Answer does a lot of scouting in the Pac-10 ranks and has already seen The Young Gun in action, up close and personal and he will blow you away with his precision passing.

Also - The Answer had him graded as a late 1st round pick on the big board and grades out better than Brady Quinn in some categories.

~The Answer

Sounds good, like I said I hope you are right because that would be great. I can't wait to see him at the end of the month. You have made me feel a lot better about the pick.

justasportsfan
05-16-2007, 02:09 PM
the answer thinks Holcomb has a rocket arm. Pardon me if I have doubts about his so called scouting abilities.

deepslant
05-16-2007, 02:21 PM
The Bills are shoving this quarterback down our throat. Everything I read from the Bills site and other media sites talk about Edwards and praise him.
:gosabres:

Relax, good trade bait requires heavy chumming up-front.

The Answer
05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
The Bills are shoving this quarterback down our throat. Everything I read from the Bills site and other media sites talk about Edwards and praise him.
:gosabres:

Relax, good trade bait requires heavy chumming up-front.

The Answer hopes this isn't a hidden agenda though.

You really do have to wonder if Marv/Jauron are sold on Losman as the future of this franchise.....

~The Answer

Night Train
05-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Edwards is a cheaper fallback plan, if Losman falters. They key term being " IF ".

I like JP. He's got a cannon arm you cannot teach. What he needs to do is improve on his short reads of the Safety and CB. Plus he will get some new plays added to his playbook by Fairchild this season, due to the drafting of 2 RB's who can run and catch.

I'm rooting for the guy and I believe Fairchild has confidence in him to open things up a bit this year. Think of the Rams O, when Fairchild worked under Mike Martz. Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson caught the ball a ton, in addition to running the ball. Much like Thurman did years back. Less chance of turnovers and very productive if the talent is there. I think Lynch and Wright both have that all around game. Just like Thurman did, with Rob Riddick and Kenny Davis spelling him.

Just in case JP doesn't elevate his game, they do not need to go back out and invest a high pick in a replacement. The next guy is already here and his scouting reports show a good arm, smarts and great touch.

The Bills chose wisely but many are reading the wrong preface to the novel. JP is the guy they want to succeed. Edwards is the long term insurance plan, just in case. He'll have a clipboard glued to his left hand this season, barring injury. Nall is first off the bench.

ddaryl
05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
The Bills chose wisely but many are reading the wrong preface to the novel. JP is the guy they want to succeed. Edwards is the long term insurance plan, just in case. He'll have a clipboard glued to his left hand this season, barring injury. Nall is first off the bench.

ding ding ding... we have a winner

the only controversy is the one being made up, and stoked by a clan of Bills fans that just have to have something to debate/argue about.

otherwise Edwards is nothing more then the insurance plan.

justasportsfan
05-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Edwards is a cheaper fallback plan, if Losman falters. They key term being " IF ".

I like JP. He's got a cannon arm you cannot teach. What he needs to do is improve on his short reads of the Safety and CB. Plus he will get some new plays added to his playbook by Fairchild this season, due to the drafting of 2 RB's who can run and catch.

I'm rooting for the guy and I believe Fairchild has confidence in him to open things up a bit this year. Think of the Rams O, when Fairchild worked under Mike Martz. Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson caught the ball a ton, in addition to running the ball. Much like Thurman did years back. Less chance of turnovers and very productive if the talent is there. I think Lynch and Wright both have that all around game. Just like Thurman did, with Rob Riddick and Kenny Davis spelling him.

Just in case JP doesn't elevate his game, they do not need to go back out and invest a high pick in a replacement. The next guy is already here and his scouting reports show a good arm, smarts and great touch.

I have all the confidence in JP. Let's not forget that JP's work ethic is 2nd to none. I hope he takes in the new plays coming his way FAST.

I can also hope that our running game takes off. It can only help our D.

HHURRICANE
05-16-2007, 04:16 PM
ding ding ding... we have a winner

the only controversy is the one being made up, and stoked by a clan of Bills fans that just have to have something to debate/argue about.

otherwise Edwards is nothing more then the insurance plan.

I'm pretty sure JP was our starter 2 years ago. That lasted 4 games. I know it's a different regime but it's not like they came in and said JP's our guy. I'm sick of the QB carousel and all the stuff that comes along with it.

I really think Nall will be the one holding the clipboard.