• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

All this Edwards talk; my take

First, let me say I am not anti- Trent Edwards. I think he potentially could be a solid backup QB and maybe someday a starter. I don't think it ever hurts to have good insurance behind your starter. Who wants their season to go down the drain 2 games into the season because your starter tears his ACL on a late hit?

But having said that, I have a big problem with the selection and especially the selection that followed.

By taking a backup QB, who arguably will compete for a backup spot- and by drafting a RB in round 4 AFTER taking Lynch in the first and already having A-Train as a backup (basically meaning Wright is probably a third stringer as a rookie). The team sent a clear message to the fans that winning this year is NOT a priority on this team. Spin it anyway you want, the draft selections illustrate it perfectly.

As for Edwards himself, I guess I should give Levy credit as being smarter than a lot of GMs in the league. I mean- Miami needed a QB and took Beck. Philly needed a QB and took Kolb. Hell, even Detroit took a QB (Stanton) and left Edwards on the board. So forgive me for not being excited about the 6th QB taken off the board. Ya, I know, I know. Tom Brady didn't go until round six. That seems to be the counter around here a lot.

It also bothers me we sign and invest in Nall last year, give him a nice signing bonus for a backup QB, he'll count $2 million against the cap and he'll probably end up holding a clipboard this season. You can find an undrafted FA for league minimum to do that. Great signing yet again, Marv.

I dont know who the hell Ralph Wilson thinks he is that he can keep selling OVER and OVER again to the fans that we are "rebuilding". Maybe he thought 4 straight blacks out last year were a fluke or something.

Whether you want to admit it or not; the attendance drop is a HUGE problem and do you expect it to get any better, KNOWING in May that is a team that will be fortunate to play around .500 ball.

and like it or not, the Sabres DO have an impact on attendance. That team has a waiting list for season tickets next year. Do you think Bills and Sabres fans are seperate people? The average WNY'er cant afford to buy Sabres AND Bills tickets consistently.

If this team continues to play mediocre football, COMBINED with the Sabres being the #1 attraction in town (and make no mistake about it, they are)- the future of this franchise is in big trouble. Trust me, for the few hundred of die-hards on here and the minority still left in WNY. MORE than the majority are tired of mediocrity. The moves and draft selections this year PROVE they're still trying to rebuild, and it can and WILL continue to be reflective at the box office.

So while Edwards as a player doesn't bother me, the selection and thought process by our increasingly (in my own personal opinion) patheticly run front office does.

Groan away.. Take your personal pot-shots as per the norm...This isn't a popular post. But it's also the truth. This team must be better than last year, or you'll see a huge effect trickle down.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: All this Edwards talk; my take

I wont even mention how much cap room was left on the table and the failure to land a SINGLE defensive free agent to a defense that was very weak to begin with and lost/traded a total of three starters from it; with Fletch and Clements being 2 of the 3 best players on the unit along with Schobel.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

I really don't think you find many impact players in rounds 3 and beyond.

It is about winning as a franchise. Not just one year. If that was the goal, they should trade the picks for vets.

And quit whining about potshots.
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        I wont even mention how much cap room was left on the table and the failure to land a SINGLE defensive free agent to a defense that was very weak to begin with and lost/traded a total of three starters from it; with Fletch and Clements being 2 of the 3 best players on the unit along with Schobel.
        We did sign a defensive FA: Chris Kelsay.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

First, let me say I am not anti- Trent Edwards. I think he potentially could be a solid backup QB and maybe someday a starter. I don't think it ever hurts to have good insurance behind your starter. Who wants their season to go down the drain 2 games into the season because your starter tears his ACL on a late hit?

But having said that, I have a big problem with the selection and especially the selection that followed.

By taking a backup QB, who arguably will compete for a backup spot- and by drafting a RB in round 4 AFTER taking Lynch in the first and already having A-Train as a backup (basically meaning Wright is probably a third stringer as a rookie). The team sent a clear message to the fans that winning this year is NOT a priority on this team. Spin it anyway you want, the draft selections illustrate it perfectly.

As for Edwards himself, I guess I should give Levy credit as being smarter than a lot of GMs in the league. I mean- Miami needed a QB and took Beck. Philly needed a QB and took Kolb. Hell, even Detroit took a QB (Stanton) and left Edwards on the board. So forgive me for not being excited about the 6th QB taken off the board. Ya, I know, I know. Tom Brady didn't go until round six. That seems to be the counter around here a lot.

It also bothers me we sign and invest in Nall last year, give him a nice signing bonus for a backup QB, he'll count $2 million against the cap and he'll probably end up holding a clipboard this season. You can find an undrafted FA for league minimum to do that. Great signing yet again, Marv.

I dont know who the hell Ralph Wilson thinks he is that he can keep selling OVER and OVER again to the fans that we are "rebuilding". Maybe he thought 4 straight blacks out last year were a fluke or something.

Whether you want to admit it or not; the attendance drop is a HUGE problem and do you expect it to get any better, KNOWING in May that is a team that will be fortunate to play around .500 ball.

and like it or not, the Sabres DO have an impact on attendance. That team has a waiting list for season tickets next year. Do you think Bills and Sabres fans are seperate people? The average WNY'er cant afford to buy Sabres AND Bills tickets consistently.

If this team continues to play mediocre football, COMBINED with the Sabres being the #1 attraction in town (and make no mistake about it, they are)- the future of this franchise is in big trouble. Trust me, for the few hundred of die-hards on here and the minority still left in WNY. MORE than the majority are tired of mediocrity. The moves and draft selections this year PROVE they're still trying to rebuild, and it can and WILL continue to be reflective at the box office.

So while Edwards as a player doesn't bother me, the selection and thought process by our increasingly (in my own personal opinion) patheticly run front office does.

Groan away.. Take your personal pot-shots as per the norm...This isn't a popular post. But it's also the truth. This team must be better than last year, or you'll see a huge effect trickle down.
          Take cover! That thing up there is falling down!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

LOL I just discovered a good usage for this rarely used smiley!

Maybe we should rename :moran: LOL

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Laugh all you want...

You wont be laughin when it comes January, attendance is down further; we have 4-5 more blackouts and Wilson is crying about "I dont know if the team can suceed in this market" crap.

Maybe you're not tired of it, but I'll guarentee you more fans are than aren't.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                Legendary Zoner
                • Jul 2002

Hate to say it but I've come to the same conclusion. We're going back before we go forward.

Comment

• gil
                  • Mar 2005

So, in essence, because the Bills drafted who they felt were the best available players available in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft, the Bills are committed to losing and thus are leaving Buffalo?

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

I didn't say leave Buffalo, but Vegas has the over / under on Bills wins at 6 for a reason.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gilbert23b
                      So, in essence, because the Bills drafted who they felt were the best available players available in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft, the Bills are committed to losing and thus are leaving Buffalo?
                      it's not THE REASON but its one in a long line of many over the past 7+ years that has/will put this team's future in jeopardy.

At the end of the day: We've had a string of horrible FO leadership post-Polian..... Butler financially ran this team into the ground (competive wise-with the cap) Donahoe got us out of that but put us into a competitive funk with a string of FA signings of players past their prime (not to mention horrible drafting)--- and now Levy, partially because old senile Wilson is too busy crying instead of trying to win; is pretty much forced into risky FA signings and draft picks based on the piles of holes that were either A) left pre-levy or B) created present-levy.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

And the post wasnt exclusively about the Bills LEAVING Buffalo.

It's about failing to have any kind of real committment to winning in the present.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                          I didn't say leave Buffalo, but Vegas has the over / under on Bills wins at 6 for a reason.
                          If anyone can find odds for that please place a $100 bet on OVER for me. Seriously.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

And the post wasnt exclusively about the Bills LEAVING Buffalo.

It's about failing to have any kind of real committment to winning in the present.
                            Winning in the present is fine, but not at the cost of sacrificing the future.
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• gil
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                              I agree things don't seem to be looking up the way some hoped, but winning in the NFL is a funny thing, who knows what will happen.

And, I was responding to Pat's post that apparently who we pick in rounds 3 & 4 of the draft are going to be the final death knell for this organization, which I think is a preposterous idea

This franchise has been through worse than picking a promising QB and RB in rounds 3 and 4 of one draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X