PDA

View Full Version : All this Edwards talk; my take

patmoran2006
05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
First, let me say I am not anti- Trent Edwards. I think he potentially could be a solid backup QB and maybe someday a starter. I don't think it ever hurts to have good insurance behind your starter. Who wants their season to go down the drain 2 games into the season because your starter tears his ACL on a late hit?

But having said that, I have a big problem with the selection and especially the selection that followed.

By taking a backup QB, who arguably will compete for a backup spot- and by drafting a RB in round 4 AFTER taking Lynch in the first and already having A-Train as a backup (basically meaning Wright is probably a third stringer as a rookie). The team sent a clear message to the fans that winning this year is NOT a priority on this team. Spin it anyway you want, the draft selections illustrate it perfectly.

As for Edwards himself, I guess I should give Levy credit as being smarter than a lot of GMs in the league. I mean- Miami needed a QB and took Beck. Philly needed a QB and took Kolb. Hell, even Detroit took a QB (Stanton) and left Edwards on the board. So forgive me for not being excited about the 6th QB taken off the board. Ya, I know, I know. Tom Brady didn't go until round six. That seems to be the counter around here a lot.

It also bothers me we sign and invest in Nall last year, give him a nice signing bonus for a backup QB, he'll count $2 million against the cap and he'll probably end up holding a clipboard this season. You can find an undrafted FA for league minimum to do that. Great signing yet again, Marv.

I dont know who the hell Ralph Wilson thinks he is that he can keep selling OVER and OVER again to the fans that we are "rebuilding". Maybe he thought 4 straight blacks out last year were a fluke or something.

Whether you want to admit it or not; the attendance drop is a HUGE problem and do you expect it to get any better, KNOWING in May that is a team that will be fortunate to play around .500 ball.

and like it or not, the Sabres DO have an impact on attendance. That team has a waiting list for season tickets next year. Do you think Bills and Sabres fans are seperate people? The average WNY'er cant afford to buy Sabres AND Bills tickets consistently.

If this team continues to play mediocre football, COMBINED with the Sabres being the #1 attraction in town (and make no mistake about it, they are)- the future of this franchise is in big trouble. Trust me, for the few hundred of die-hards on here and the minority still left in WNY. MORE than the majority are tired of mediocrity. The moves and draft selections this year PROVE they're still trying to rebuild, and it can and WILL continue to be reflective at the box office.

So while Edwards as a player doesn't bother me, the selection and thought process by our increasingly (in my own personal opinion) patheticly run front office does.

Groan away.. Take your personal pot-shots as per the norm...This isn't a popular post. But it's also the truth. This team must be better than last year, or you'll see a huge effect trickle down.

patmoran2006
05-15-2007, 02:20 PM
I wont even mention how much cap room was left on the table and the failure to land a SINGLE defensive free agent to a defense that was very weak to begin with and lost/traded a total of three starters from it; with Fletch and Clements being 2 of the 3 best players on the unit along with Schobel.

Dr. Lecter
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I really don't think you find many impact players in rounds 3 and beyond.

It is about winning as a franchise. Not just one year. If that was the goal, they should trade the picks for vets.

And quit whining about potshots.

OpIv37
05-15-2007, 02:24 PM
I wont even mention how much cap room was left on the table and the failure to land a SINGLE defensive free agent to a defense that was very weak to begin with and lost/traded a total of three starters from it; with Fletch and Clements being 2 of the 3 best players on the unit along with Schobel.

We did sign a defensive FA: Chris Kelsay.

Mr. Miyagi
05-15-2007, 02:34 PM
First, let me say I am not anti- Trent Edwards. I think he potentially could be a solid backup QB and maybe someday a starter. I don't think it ever hurts to have good insurance behind your starter. Who wants their season to go down the drain 2 games into the season because your starter tears his ACL on a late hit?

But having said that, I have a big problem with the selection and especially the selection that followed.

By taking a backup QB, who arguably will compete for a backup spot- and by drafting a RB in round 4 AFTER taking Lynch in the first and already having A-Train as a backup (basically meaning Wright is probably a third stringer as a rookie). The team sent a clear message to the fans that winning this year is NOT a priority on this team. Spin it anyway you want, the draft selections illustrate it perfectly.

As for Edwards himself, I guess I should give Levy credit as being smarter than a lot of GMs in the league. I mean- Miami needed a QB and took Beck. Philly needed a QB and took Kolb. Hell, even Detroit took a QB (Stanton) and left Edwards on the board. So forgive me for not being excited about the 6th QB taken off the board. Ya, I know, I know. Tom Brady didn't go until round six. That seems to be the counter around here a lot.

It also bothers me we sign and invest in Nall last year, give him a nice signing bonus for a backup QB, he'll count $2 million against the cap and he'll probably end up holding a clipboard this season. You can find an undrafted FA for league minimum to do that. Great signing yet again, Marv.

I dont know who the hell Ralph Wilson thinks he is that he can keep selling OVER and OVER again to the fans that we are "rebuilding". Maybe he thought 4 straight blacks out last year were a fluke or something.

Whether you want to admit it or not; the attendance drop is a HUGE problem and do you expect it to get any better, KNOWING in May that is a team that will be fortunate to play around .500 ball.

and like it or not, the Sabres DO have an impact on attendance. That team has a waiting list for season tickets next year. Do you think Bills and Sabres fans are seperate people? The average WNY'er cant afford to buy Sabres AND Bills tickets consistently.

If this team continues to play mediocre football, COMBINED with the Sabres being the #1 attraction in town (and make no mistake about it, they are)- the future of this franchise is in big trouble. Trust me, for the few hundred of die-hards on here and the minority still left in WNY. MORE than the majority are tired of mediocrity. The moves and draft selections this year PROVE they're still trying to rebuild, and it can and WILL continue to be reflective at the box office.

So while Edwards as a player doesn't bother me, the selection and thought process by our increasingly (in my own personal opinion) patheticly run front office does.

Groan away.. Take your personal pot-shots as per the norm...This isn't a popular post. But it's also the truth. This team must be better than last year, or you'll see a huge effect trickle down.
Take cover! That thing up there is falling down! :rain:

Mr. Miyagi
05-15-2007, 02:36 PM
LOL I just discovered a good usage for this rarely used smiley!

Maybe we should rename :rain: :moran: LOL

patmoran2006
05-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Laugh all you want...

You wont be laughin when it comes January, attendance is down further; we have 4-5 more blackouts and Wilson is crying about "I dont know if the team can suceed in this market" crap.

Maybe you're not tired of it, but I'll guarentee you more fans are than aren't.

Earthquake Enyart
05-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Hate to say it but I've come to the same conclusion. We're going back before we go forward.

gil
05-15-2007, 02:58 PM
So, in essence, because the Bills drafted who they felt were the best available players available in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft, the Bills are committed to losing and thus are leaving Buffalo?

Earthquake Enyart
05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
I didn't say leave Buffalo, but Vegas has the over / under on Bills wins at 6 for a reason.

patmoran2006
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
So, in essence, because the Bills drafted who they felt were the best available players available in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft, the Bills are committed to losing and thus are leaving Buffalo?
it's not THE REASON but its one in a long line of many over the past 7+ years that has/will put this team's future in jeopardy.

At the end of the day: We've had a string of horrible FO leadership post-Polian..... Butler financially ran this team into the ground (competive wise-with the cap) Donahoe got us out of that but put us into a competitive funk with a string of FA signings of players past their prime (not to mention horrible drafting)--- and now Levy, partially because old senile Wilson is too busy crying instead of trying to win; is pretty much forced into risky FA signings and draft picks based on the piles of holes that were either A) left pre-levy or B) created present-levy.

patmoran2006
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
And the post wasnt exclusively about the Bills LEAVING Buffalo.

It's about failing to have any kind of real committment to winning in the present.

Mr. Miyagi
05-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I didn't say leave Buffalo, but Vegas has the over / under on Bills wins at 6 for a reason.
If anyone can find odds for that please place a $100 bet on OVER for me. Seriously.

Dr. Lecter
05-15-2007, 03:08 PM
And the post wasnt exclusively about the Bills LEAVING Buffalo.

It's about failing to have any kind of real committment to winning in the present.

Winning in the present is fine, but not at the cost of sacrificing the future.

gil
05-15-2007, 03:09 PM

I agree things don't seem to be looking up the way some hoped, but winning in the NFL is a funny thing, who knows what will happen.

And, I was responding to Pat's post that apparently who we pick in rounds 3 & 4 of the draft are going to be the final death knell for this organization, which I think is a preposterous idea

This franchise has been through worse than picking a promising QB and RB in rounds 3 and 4 of one draft.

billsburgh
05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
exactly

Mudflap1
05-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Good posting Pat. I don't think the Bills are against winning, but as far as putting it all out there on the line for getting a playoff-caliber team this season, no, the Bills have not taken those steps.

Jon

John Doe
05-15-2007, 03:50 PM
This isn't a popular post. But it's also the truth.

Its not my truth.

jdbillsfan
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Two quick things. I thought you said that you are not Anti-Edwards and that he could potentially be a good backup or solid pro, then you seem to criticize Levy for picking the 6th QB off the board and sarcastically state that Levy is smarter than other GM's. Do you like Edwards or not?

Secondly...Obviously the Bills aren't sold on Nall. They brought him in with higher expectations and it seems that hasn't worked out yet. Sometimes its not always the fault of the GM and franchise if a player isn't meeting expectations.

If you can get a quality backup or potential starting QB, maybe that is better than drafting a quality backup corner or quality backup WR.

Bills did have a need for backup QB and RB. In the 3rd and 4th round you don't always get starters. They filled two needs hopefully.

raphael120
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
The FO took a gamble with Nall, and this was still when there was the big question mark for Losman. They shelled out some decent cash for him too, for the same reason that hey, Nall might be the starting QB at some point this season. But who knows how nall would have done without the injury in camp. I honestly give Marv a flyer on Nall because of the INSANE situation left by mularkey in reguards to the QB thing. no one couldve known what the heck was going on. but i have more a problem with no CB's being brought in, period, draft or FA wise...it just doesnt add up

Tatonka
05-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for posting the exact same thing you have been saying since he was drafted.. most of us got it the first time you posted it weeks ago.. or one of the other times you have mentioned it over and over since.

:honda:

John Doe
05-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for posting the exact same thing you have been saying since he was drafted.. most of us got it the first time you posted it weeks ago.. or one of the other times you have mentioned it over and over since.

:honda:

The good news is that we don't have to read about how mad he would be if we did not go for a value pick in the first round and draft Pos with #12.

On the other hand, now we have to read about how how mad he is that the Bills went for the value pick in the 3rd.

Jan Reimers
05-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Pat, you have a problem with damned near everything we do. Could you just give us a friggin' chance?

Mr. Pink
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I have a problem, no, a huge problem with taking a BACKUP on day 1 of the NFL draft. Day 1 is a day where you get solid, impact players for your team, especially when you have MANY holes.

Taking Trent Edwards is a luxury this team could not afford. We have 4 schmoes at Corner. No depth at LB. No pass catching TE. But, we go out and draft a guy who if Losman develops as we want him to and turns out to be what we think he may be....will NEVER see the field.

Let me repeat that for you, we drafted someone on day 1 who will NEVER see the field. Just so that sinks in a little for you.

Now someone tell me why this is a "value pick" "good pick" "whatever spin you wanna put on it."

Ladies and Gentleman, he was the 6th QB taken. 6th. Spin that he shoulda been a second round pick...I'll spin you that Brady Quinn could have been the 1st overall pick or the 9th. He still sucks and I hate him, but facts are, neither were.

You coulda gone out and got Aaron Brooks to hold a clipboard for the season. And actual got some veteran leadership. Who is still available, btw. And used our third round pick on someone who will produce for this team in 2-3 years, not someone who's gonna ride the pine his entire career in Buffalo.

I don't see how anyone can see this as a good draft pick unless they think Losman is destined to fail. If you think Losman is gonna succeed then Edwards is sitting on the pines EVERY sunday...and being just another in the long line of wasted draft choices of the Buffalo Bills.

Jan Reimers
05-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I have a problem, no, a huge problem with taking a BACKUP on day 1 of the NFL draft. Day 1 is a day where you get solid, impact players for your team, especially when you have MANY holes.

Taking Trent Edwards is a luxury this team could not afford. We have 4 schmoes at Corner. No depth at LB. No pass catching TE. But, we go out and draft a guy who if Losman develops as we want him to and turns out to be what we think he may be....will NEVER see the field.

Let me repeat that for you, we drafted someone on day 1 who will NEVER see the field. Just so that sinks in a little for you.

Now someone tell me why this is a "value pick" "good pick" "whatever spin you wanna put on it."

Ladies and Gentleman, he was the 6th QB taken. 6th. Spin that he shoulda been a second round pick...I'll spin you that Brady Quinn could have been the 1st overall pick or the 9th. He still sucks and I hate him, but facts are, neither were.

You coulda gone out and got Aaron Brooks to hold a clipboard for the season. And actual got some veteran leadership. Who is still available, btw. And used our third round pick on someone who will produce for this team in 2-3 years, not someone who's gonna ride the pine his entire career in Buffalo.

I don't see how anyone can see this as a good draft pick unless they think Losman is destined to fail. If you think Losman is gonna succeed then Edwards is sitting on the pines EVERY sunday...and being just another in the long line of wasted draft choices of the Buffalo Bills.
Yeah, we should have drafted as well as the Browns since the early '60s. :dance:

Mr. Pink
05-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, we should have drafted as well as the Browns since the early '60s. :dance:

Compare the Browns and Bills drafts over the past 10 years...you'll easily see why both teams have sucked for the better part of the decade. Pretty Simple.

Thanks for go off topic to take a pot shot though :dance:

Jan Reimers
05-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Could anyone of you omniscient, smarter-than-Marv, friggin' football experts at least give this team a chance?

God, I'm so sick of you know-it-alls pissing on everything that Marv does. He has a better track record than any of you, unless you are Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson or Bill Polian lurking, or Vince Lombardi reincarnated.

Mudflap1
05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm willing to give the organization a chance. My gut feeling is this team is still at least a year away, and next year they might have to make a few bold moves. We'll see though.

Jon

Mr. Pink
05-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Could anyone of you omniscient, smarter-than-Marv, friggin' football experts at least give this team a chance?

God, I'm so sick of you know-it-alls pissing on everything that Marv does. He has a better track record than any of you, unless you are Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson or Bill Polian lurking, or Vince Lombardi reincarnated.

Again what help is Edwards to this team? So much help in fact he was a Day 1 pick. That's what I'm asking.

I won't even get into the idiocy of Rd4 selection, who's gonna be a 3rd string RB. Because at least it wasn't a Day 1 pick.

Day 1 picks are supposed to be difference makers and contributors. Plain and simple...where does Edwards contribute on Sundays?

Mr. Pink
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Also. Never did I say I wasn't giving the team a chance to win. But 4 solid corners is definitely INFINITELY more important than getting a guy who's only role is to be holding a clipboard.

I'm for drafting players that give this team the best chance at winning, not being happy over drafting a clipboard holder, and a guy who will never see the field on Sundays if JP turns into what most people on the board think he will be.

The funny part is, all of the people who support JP, or believe he can be a franchise QB also applaud drafting a clipboard holder on day 1 over someone who would be a contributor.

Apparently you can't make the distinction.

Billsouth
05-15-2007, 06:28 PM
pat you must work for a pharmaceutical company that sells anti depressants because it appears you are trying to make us all depressed!

which defensive free agents did u want us to sign? which linebacker? we would have had to give up our first to get lance briggs and he was the only one in my opinion worth it. i liked london but he did not fit our scheme. Spikes was not doing well and we drafted a good linebacker last year who is already penciled in (ellison). you cant just look at addition thru free agency. sometimes you improve your team by letting young guys who develop to step up and fill a role. For example, how did we solve our left tackle mystery? we developed Jason Peters!

before we throw in the towel lets at least get through training camp which does not even start for 2 months.

Carlton Bailey
05-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I'll trust Bill Walsh, who called Edwards "great." He knows a thing or two, last I checked.

HHURRICANE
05-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I guess I was expecting a miracle and we didn't get one.

I think the offense still needs a legit #2 WR but all in all I think we will be very competitive barring injury.

On the defense I think we look like a good college team. I don't love Kelsay and Schobel as our DEs. DTs speak for themselves, and LB is on life support.

Add Thomas, Greer, and Yobouty in the back and Randy Moss may be able to ressurect his career just playing Buffalo.

You can only fill so many holes and I remember saying last year that we needed 2 years before we could make the playoffs. Welcome to year 2.

bflojohn
05-15-2007, 06:49 PM
For all the football experts out there, Trent Edwards has the potential to be a great pick if he is the kind of guy who gets the Bills through the rough spots ALL teams have in ANY given season. The starters go down in this league and it is imparitive to have a sound answer in the role of back-up. As for Edwards being the 6th QB, ask Zach Thomas what # he was the year he came out! The ONLY LB still in the league drafted in front of him is Ray Lewis!! Let's watch the "on field" play before casting the negative accusations. By the way, opinion from Bill Walsh is a little more "weighted" than the fireside chats here, with that I can agree!!

Tatonka
05-15-2007, 07:08 PM
and what if jp doesnt turn out to be "the guy".. i guess you guys would love to see us set back another couple years as opposed to having another guy ready in the wings?

and i am SURE that a 3rd round corner would definately be MUCH MORE prepared than last years 3rd round pick at corner, youboty.. much more.

The Spaz
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
and what if jp doesnt turn out to be "the guy".. i guess you guys would love to see us set back another couple years as opposed to having another guy ready in the wings?

and i am SURE that a 3rd round corner would definately be MUCH MORE prepared than last years 3rd round pick at corner, youboty.. much more.

:clap::beers:

Mr. Pink
05-15-2007, 07:50 PM

Well considering our 3rd round corner last year didn't play very much, at least a 3rd round corner this year would be coming off actually contributing to a team.

But it's not him that I'm most worried about...He frightens me as a two, yes...but our 3-5 our downright pathetic, if one on of the top 2 get hurt. We have a guy who has ZERO Ints in a 7 year career...Donovan Greer who is unspectacular but does get the job down as dime corner at best, then Bassey who didn't see the field last year.

Are you comfortable with our corners?

Or how about the fact that we're one injury away from seeing Coy Wire paraded out there at LB...does that make you comfortable?

But you're more worried about a backup QB then a corner who see at least half of the snaps on defensive or a LB that would push Ellison to either A. be better or B. as our top reserve. Either of those situations help contribute to our team winning this and next year.

Maybe the team hit on JP, maybe they missed. No one knows, he definitely showed progress last year, which is a good sign. And I want there to be the proper personnel on the field to help us win and succeed, not a guy standing on the sidelines in a baseball cap.

jdbillsfan
05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Well considering our 3rd round corner last year didn't play very much, at least a 3rd round corner this year would be coming off actually contributing to a team.

But it's not him that I'm most worried about...He frightens me as a two, yes...but our 3-5 our downright pathetic, if one on of the top 2 get hurt. We have a guy who has ZERO Ints in a 7 year career...Donovan Greer who is unspectacular but does get the job down as dime corner at best, then Bassey who didn't see the field last year.

Are you comfortable with our corners?

Or how about the fact that we're one injury away from seeing Coy Wire paraded out there at LB...does that make you comfortable?

But you're more worried about a backup QB then a corner who see at least half of the snaps on defensive or a LB that would push Ellison to either A. be better or B. as our top reserve. Either of those situations help contribute to our team winning this and next year.

Maybe the team hit on JP, maybe they missed. No one knows, he definitely showed progress last year, which is a good sign. And I want there to be the proper personnel on the field to help us win and succeed, not a guy standing on the sidelines in a baseball cap.

Obviously the team still has holes. I am not sure a late 3rd round pick is the answer.

The team isn't high on Nall and A-Train isn't a long term answer for backup RB. The obviously liked Edwards and Wright more than any of the available CB's, LB's etc.

Backup QB's and RB's do help the team win.

Philagape
05-15-2007, 08:11 PM
What's funny about this thread is the people who are bashing the critics had to open the thread to read the criticism, knowing who started it.

People who open a thread knowing what they'll get should :stfu: about what's in it. They could have avoided it and spared themselves the indignation.

deepslant
05-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Why all the commotion on selecting a qb in the third? This guy may be starting before the years out if something happens to Losman. The good news is that the kid impressed the coaches as evident below during camp:

Quarterback Trent Edwardshttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4788#) again had an accurate passing day. He's really effective at hitting his targets.
"He does a nice job," said offensive coordinator Steve Fairchildhttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4788#). "He's a smart guy and looks very accurate. It's still very early and we want to see what he can do when the pads are on, but early indications are he is what we thought he was."

QUARTERBACKS - On first glance I'm very impressed with Edwards. This kid is the real deal. Very mechanically sound, strong in his decision making. I understand it's not live football, but for a guy having one night to absorb the playbook as much as possible he fared very well on the field Saturday. This guy is going to be stiff competition for Craig Nall.

We will be happy there is a real alternative if: A) Losman goes down; B) Losman sucks; C) Losman jams for greener pastures; or D) Edwards flat beats out Losman. Otherwise, if JP is the franchise, which four good games don't make, then Edwards is simply trade bait.

How many NFL teams were happy to have a backup last year? Try: Dolphins, Jacksonville, Titans, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Cowpies, Eagles, Redskins, Vikings, Bucs, Cards, and Seattle. Who wished they had a real backup solution last season? Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Texans, and Bears. The fastest way to sink the ship, unless you're green bay cheesheads, is to lack a viable backup qb.

He even looks like a qb...........

mikemac2001
05-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Laugh all you want...

You wont be laughin when it comes January, attendance is down further; we have 4-5 more blackouts and Wilson is crying about "I dont know if the team can suceed in this market" crap.

Maybe you're not tired of it, but I'll guarentee you more fans are than aren't.

you may be right but your *****ing and moaning wont fix anything so try to look at some positives instead of all the negatives we have. DOUCHE!

alohabillsfan
05-16-2007, 08:43 AM
OK, where to begin...

Who out there thinks that we would contend for the Superbowl in 2007? I do not. What I want to see is improvement say 9-7. Our weakness last year=running the ball. Will that improve this year? I think it will! Can we score more points with a more potent rushing attack? Again, I believe so. With that said, we averaged 22.2 points a game over the last 9 games (after the bye week), so I am optimistic with regards to a more balanced offense.

In regards to the off season moves...

McGahee= last year of contract, did not want to be in Buffalo, not the right type of RB for this offense. Lynch is a better fit for this offense and McGahee will be better in Balt offense.

Fletcher= wrong side of 30 to be in the long term plans ( over the next 2-5 years).

Spikes= Could not stay healthy over the last 2 years, again need youth at LB.

Clements= We could have retained him at a insane price but the would have taken a major chunk of cap for a CB of his ability and may have reduced the possibility of retaining JP and Lee.

The draft
1) I believe Lynch was the target pick the whole time and should be a better fit and more productive than WM.

2) Poz, while I was not a huge fan of him at 12 I believe getting him in round 2 and putting him at MLB we will see improvement in stopping the run, I hope he can cover as well as Fletch did.

3) Again I question the pick of Edwards when CB Hughes was avail. but, again we have to be a little patient and develope depth. The way you develope quality depth is drafting the BPA on your board, we need to look at the big picture would Hughes be a better selection and a starter over a guy (Yobouty) we selected last year that projected better than Hughes?

4) Wright- we turned a weakness (RB) going into the draft into a position of strength, again we needed depth, A-Train will be a solid mentor but Wright should provide more punch and quicknees than Thomas.

Overall we should be better offensively, more balanced and sustained drives, that will help the defense. Are we a "legit" contender this year? Only if the following occur;

1) JP continues his developement. 3300 yards 26TD's 12 INT.
2) The oline is as good on the field as they are on paper.
3) Lynch is the real deal. 1300 yards rushing 13 TD's, 480 rec. 4 TD's
4) Special teams continues to excell!

So when all that said (and yes I did not dicuss the defense, but the D will be fine if most of that above occurs) we can get a playoff berth. If it does not occur we will be close and I don't believe we have any star FA's next season, we will be closer to a quality roster with depth and we will still have CAP room to sign Free Agents!

patmoran2006
05-16-2007, 09:29 AM

God, I'm so sick of you know-it-alls pissing on everything that Marv does. He has a better track record than any of you, unless you are Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson or Bill Polian lurking, or Vince Lombardi reincarnated. Maybe someday you'll stop COMPARING Marv Levy's competence as a NFL General Manager to me; anybody on this board, any writer for any publication; and any fan who watches football.

Yes, Marv is smarter than us all. That will buy you a milkshake and a burger at Denny's.

How about you compare his competence and abilities as a NFL GM to... uhhh I dunno.. The other 31 GMS in the National Football league?

In all due respect Jan even though we often disagree I do respect your postings and opinions.. But the "Marv knows more than you" line used by homers over and over is the most pathetic excuse for mediocrity I've ever seen.

Matt Millen knows more than us also. Does that not mean he sucks as a GM? Mike Mularkey knows more than us also. Does that make him a good head coach?

patmoran2006
05-16-2007, 09:36 AM
pat you must work for a pharmaceutical company that sells anti depressants because it appears you are trying to make us all depressed!

which defensive free agents did u want us to sign? which linebacker? we would have had to give up our first to get lance briggs and he was the only one in my opinion worth it. i liked london but he did not fit our scheme. Spikes was not doing well and we drafted a good linebacker last year who is already penciled in (ellison). you cant just look at addition thru free agency. sometimes you improve your team by letting young guys who develop to step up and fill a role. For example, how did we solve our left tackle mystery? we developed Jason Peters!

before we throw in the towel lets at least get through training camp which does not even start for 2 months.
Would this defense currently look the same had we spent some money on some mid-level free agents?

Cato June is a good cover two LB, a guy who made the Pro Bowl. He got only $12 million over three years in Tampa Bay. Nobody in their right mind is going to tell me he's not better than Keith Ellison. Ellison MAY BECOME a Cato June down the line, but he sure as hell aint right now. Not only would a Poz/Crowell/June LB combo be an upgrade, we'd also actually have depth with Ellison as well. Right now, we're ONE play away from Coy Wire becoming a starter at LB.

Nick Harper- a vet cover two corner, only costed Tenn about $9.35 million over 3 years. He probably would've become our #1 corner overnight. Regardless if he was our new #1, 2 or 3. If nothing else he was SOLID depth to a unit so badly in need of it, its ridiculous. The unit looks a lot better when Youboty/Thomas is the 4th corner. At this time I'll also mention these are guys who just won a Super Bowl. Having guys with winner experience never hurts; especially on a team that literally barely has any.

Put these two guys on this defense or someone like them, and the unit is instantly a little more proven, more than a little better and with MUCH better depth. Right now, we're a team that lacks overall talent to begin with and has ZERO depth should/when injuries start to occur.

But these guys weren't signed. In fact, NOBODY was. You wanna know why? Mr WIlson and his cash to cap. That's why. NOthing more nothing less and if you think that's a crock, you keep telling yourself that.

Jan Reimers
05-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Its not my truth.
Mine, either.

Note to Pat: You have every right to your opinions, as do the rest of us. But please don't present them as if they are the "truth," or fact. That's the stuff of narrow minded biggots and zealots, and the reason you are on my Ignore List.

If you presented your opinions with a little more humility, you might get a little more respect.

Michael82
05-16-2007, 10:03 AM
What bothers me about the pick is it tells JP that we don't like you that much and have drafted your replacement if you struggle. It takes a guy who thought that his team has confidence in him and had a head coach who had confidence in him and made him uneasy about the situation IMO. I don't like it. Especially when there were good CBs and LBs still available.

Dr. Lecter
05-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Who were those good LB's oand CB's? Were they better football players than Edwards?

New Orleans drafted a Running Back.

Are they giving up on Bush?

gil
05-16-2007, 10:51 AM
What bothers me about the pick is it tells JP that we don't like you that much and have drafted your replacement if you struggle. It takes a guy who thought that his team has confidence in him and had a head coach who had confidence in him and made him uneasy about the situation IMO. I don't like it. Especially when there were good CBs and LBs still available.

I don't think "we" did anything of the sort - other teams with established QB's have used early to mid round picks on QB's to back them up - time and again we have seen that you need a quality No.2 guy.

If JP is that insecure, then he needs to find a new profession or have a visit with Stuart Smalley.

HAMMER
05-16-2007, 10:57 AM

I think you and others are reading into the pick a little too much. JP is the starter, if he messes it up then he deserves to be yanked. Would you be threatened by a Topps checker coming over to Wegmans? No, because you know you are good at what you do and will get it done.

patmoran2006
05-16-2007, 11:52 AM
OK, where to begin...

Who out there thinks that we would contend for the Superbowl in 2007? I do not. What I want to see is improvement say 9-7. Our weakness last year=running the ball. Will that improve this year? I think it will! Can we score more points with a more potent rushing attack? Again, I believe so. With that said, we averaged 22.2 points a game over the last 9 games (after the bye week), so I am optimistic with regards to a more balanced offense.

In regards to the off season moves...

McGahee= last year of contract, did not want to be in Buffalo, not the right type of RB for this offense. Lynch is a better fit for this offense and McGahee will be better in Balt offense.

Fletcher= wrong side of 30 to be in the long term plans ( over the next 2-5 years).

Spikes= Could not stay healthy over the last 2 years, again need youth at LB.

Clements= We could have retained him at a insane price but the would have taken a major chunk of cap for a CB of his ability and may have reduced the possibility of retaining JP and Lee.

The draft
1) I believe Lynch was the target pick the whole time and should be a better fit and more productive than WM.

2) Poz, while I was not a huge fan of him at 12 I believe getting him in round 2 and putting him at MLB we will see improvement in stopping the run, I hope he can cover as well as Fletch did.

3) Again I question the pick of Edwards when CB Hughes was avail. but, again we have to be a little patient and develope depth. The way you develope quality depth is drafting the BPA on your board, we need to look at the big picture would Hughes be a better selection and a starter over a guy (Yobouty) we selected last year that projected better than Hughes?

4) Wright- we turned a weakness (RB) going into the draft into a position of strength, again we needed depth, A-Train will be a solid mentor but Wright should provide more punch and quicknees than Thomas.

Overall we should be better offensively, more balanced and sustained drives, that will help the defense. Are we a "legit" contender this year? Only if the following occur;

1) JP continues his developement. 3300 yards 26TD's 12 INT.
2) The oline is as good on the field as they are on paper.
3) Lynch is the real deal. 1300 yards rushing 13 TD's, 480 rec. 4 TD's
4) Special teams continues to excell!

So when all that said (and yes I did not dicuss the defense, but the D will be fine if most of that above occurs) we can get a playoff berth. If it does not occur we will be close and I don't believe we have any star FA's next season, we will be closer to a quality roster with depth and we will still have CAP room to sign Free Agents!
Good post.

mysticsoto
05-16-2007, 01:39 PM

When did JP become this sniveling little insecure weasel that everybody is acting like he is? JP is cocky and loves competition. His attitude is what alot of us like - he's not here to just collect a paycheck, he wants to be the Bills #1 QB and he's going to fight for it whether we put a noodle armed QB or a rookie prospect. No matter who is there, he's going to fight for it. That's his character and who he is and we need to stop ascribing to him this sniveling little ******* type personality!!!