PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Maroney note

The Spaz
05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
INTERESTING MARONEY NOTE: By now most have heard about the conflicting reports concerning New England RB Laurence Maroney's shoulder. He had offseason surgery and there have been wide ranging reports on just how much damage there was. The Boston Herald's Karen Guregian had an interesting observation of the running back while he was attending teammate Kevin Faulk's charity softball game. Not only did he not play, but while umpiring the game he had a peculiar way of getting the ball back to the pitcher on passed balls. I don't wish any ill will on Maroney, but I'm pretty happy that the Patriots have yet to address their running back situation behind Maroney aside from 6th round pick Justise Hairston (Central Connecticut St.). Compared to Buffalo's stable of backs (Thomas, Lynch, Wright, Williams and Jackson) I'd say the Bills have an edge. And if Maroney has a long rehab ahead of him that edge might be a distinct advantage. I guess we'll find out for sure in Week 3.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1001147

Mr. Miyagi
05-15-2007, 04:34 PM
I hope his shoulder falls off. Just because he's a Patriot.

patmoran2006
05-15-2007, 04:40 PM
When they're both healthy.. Maroney and Lynch are the same style of RB.

I like them both.

justasportsfan
05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
don't they have Sammy Morris?

BillsFever21
05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Lynch and Wright have never stepped foot on an NFL field. How can you know they are going to be "stable" and that we have an edge. Can you also let me know the powerball numbers?

INTERESTING MARONEY NOTE: By now most have heard about the conflicting reports concerning New England RB Laurence Maroney's shoulder. He had offseason surgery and there have been wide ranging reports on just how much damage there was. The Boston Herald's Karen Guregian had an interesting observation of the running back while he was attending teammate Kevin Faulk's charity softball game. Not only did he not play, but while umpiring the game he had a peculiar way of getting the ball back to the pitcher on passed balls. I don't wish any ill will on Maroney, but I'm pretty happy that the Patriots have yet to address their running back situation behind Maroney aside from 6th round pick Justise Hairston (Central Connecticut St.). Compared to Buffalo's stable of backs (Thomas, Lynch, Wright, Williams and Jackson) I'd say the Bills have an edge. And if Maroney has a long rehab ahead of him that edge might be a distinct advantage. I guess we'll find out for sure in Week 3.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1001147

justasportsfan
05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Lynch and Wright have never stepped foot on an NFL field. How can you know they are going to be "stable" and that we have an edge. Can you also let me know the powerball numbers?
:huh:

Night Train
05-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Maroney was injured often at the U of Minn. and again his rookie season in NE.

I'm sensing an obvious pattern.

Pinkerton Security
05-16-2007, 07:44 AM

he said "stable OF" backs, as in group of backs. but i would be more willing to bet that our rb situation will be more stable than the pats.

HHURRICANE
05-16-2007, 07:54 AM

Hey, now this is the difference between a pessimist and a realist. Realistically, Lynch, Wright, and A-train should make a preety nice backfield. Considering A-train filled in nicely on his own, the addition of Lynch and Wright are pretty formidable.

I think we can be a little more positive than this especially with the O-line developing now.

Earthquake Enyart
05-16-2007, 08:08 AM
The way they are signing WR's, they will probably go empty backfield with 5 wide most of the time.

Too bad we have no depth at CB, mystic.

mysticsoto
05-16-2007, 08:31 AM
The way they are signing WR's, they will probably go empty backfield with 5 wide most of the time.

I'd like good depth too, but you are assuming that a low rd draft pick would become good depth...and yet the prospects we have (like Bassey) are not...

Ickybaluky
05-16-2007, 08:36 AM

Didn't you hear? You guys play cover-2, which pretty much makes CB obsolete. I dont' even think any will line up, they will just use extra LB.

Ickybaluky
05-16-2007, 08:38 AM
don't they have Sammy Morris?

They have Morris, Kevin Faulk and Heath Evans behind Maroney. They looked at Chris Brown, but as of yet have not signed him.

Earthquake Enyart
05-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Didn't you hear? You guys play cover-2, which pretty much makes CB obsolete. I dont' even think any will line up, they will just use extra LB.
Sure, rub it in.

We'll all know what number Youboty is when we see the back of his jersey running after Randy Moss.

Ickybaluky
05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Maroney was injured often at the U of Minn. and again his rookie season in NE.

I'm sensing an obvious pattern.

Maroney had one significant injury in college, a high-ankle sprain in 2005 that caused him to miss the Michigan game. That was the only game he missed to injury at Minnesota.

Lynch was more injured than Maroney. Lynch missed 2 games with a broken hand in 2005, and then was nagged by back and ankle injuries for the second half of the 2006 season, missing the 2nd half of the Oregon game.

Maroney also carried the ball a lot more in college. Maroney had 660 carries in his college career, including 281 his last season before turning pro. Lynch had 490 carries in college, with 223 in his last season at Cal.

Injuries happen and it is always a concern. However, I don't see Maroney's injury as a career-ender, nor any evidence that he is any more injury-prone than other players.

justasportsfan
05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
They have Morris, Kevin Faulk and Heath Evans behind Maroney. They looked at Chris Brown, but as of yet have not signed him.
Look at BB turn Morris into a legit back. IF he can win a sb with Antoine Smith, Morris shouldn't be a problem.

justasportsfan
05-16-2007, 09:11 AM

that's easy. We just turn Moss against his team . It shouldn't be hard to make him a cancer.