The "Official Playoff" Sabres @ Sens game 4 - Gameday thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

The "Official Playoff" Sabres @ Sens game 4 - Gameday thread!

Go Sabres!! I thought to myself I posted like 60% of the gameday threads through the reg season and we won the presidents trophy. I have posted most of the playoffs gameday threads until this series. After our game 1 loss there was a call for a change and boy things really changed, we haven't won anything since and I think we need to go back to basics.

Desperate Sabres try to stave off Senators' sweep
    Matchup
    W-L-OTLHOMEROADDIVCONF
    BUF53-22-728-10-325-12-418-11-347-19-6
    OTT48-25-925-13-323-12-619-10-344-20-8
    · Complete Standings

Team Stat Comparison
    39Goals

34Goals Against

9Power Play Goals

14Power Play Goals Allowed

0Shorthanded Goals

1Shorthanded Goals Allowed

142Penalty Minutes

10Average Penalty Minutes

Goalie Breakdown
    GOALIEGPWTGAGAASOSVSV%
    Ryan Miller148332.200398.923
    Ray Emery1311261.893304.921

Team Stat Leaders
    GChris Drury 7Daniel Alfredsson 9
    ADaniel Briere 9Dany Heatley 13
    PTSDaniel Briere 12Dany Heatley 18
    PIMDaniel Briere 16Chris Phillips 20
    SOGDaniel Briere 45Daniel Alfredsson 52

OTTAWA (AP) -- The way Chris Drury sees it, the Buffalo Sabres have two choices after falling into a deep and desperate playoff hole against the Ottawa Senators.
    "We could curl up and cry about it and go home," the Sabres co-captain said Tuesday. "Or we could fight like dogs."
    Drury was clearly preparing for a tussle, energetic and determined in practice a day after a 1-0 loss to Ottawa that pushed the Sabres to the brink of elimination in the Eastern Conference finals.
    Ottawa is up 3-0 in the best-of-seven series and hosts Game 4 on Wednesday, when it can earn its first trip to the Stanley Cup finals.
    "There's no other way to think about it," Drury added. "We can't save anything for Thursday or Friday or Saturday."
    Buffalo has been frustrated and stifled, looking nothing like the team that led the NHL with 53 regular-season wins and 308 goals.
    The Sabres' power play has been silenced, going 0-for-18. They squandered a two-goal lead in a 4-3 double-overtime loss in Game 2. And suddenly they can't even score. Buffalo managed just 15 shots Monday, when they were shut out for the first time -- regular season included -- since a 4-0 loss to Carolina in Game 4 of last year's East finals.
    "I guess enough talk, it's time to start playing," Sabres defenseman Toni Lydman said. "Our focus is on the next game. That's all it should be."
    The Senators have never been up 3-0 in their previous 16 playoff series, but they're aware winning the next one won't be easy.
    "Obviously, it's a good situation for us to be in, but I don't think we can get overconfident," said goaltender Ray Emery, who's allowed nine goals in his last six games.
    "I'm sure they're not happy being in the situation that they're in," Emery said. "When your back's against the wall, you're a dangerous team. We have to be aware of that and not give them any life."
    The Senators are trying to become the third straight Canadian team to reach the Cup finals and the first to win the title since Montreal in 1993.
    With an NHL-best 11-2 record this postseason, Ottawa has an opportunity to become only the sixth team -- and first since Anaheim in 2003 -- to reach the finals in 14 games since the NHL expanded its playoff format in 1987, according to The Elias Sports Bureau. Of those previous five teams, only two -- Edmonton in 1987 and '88 -- have gone on to win the Cup.
    For all Ottawa has going for it, coach Bryan Murray had a reminder Tuesday.
    "Well, we're not in the finals yet, we have to win another game," he said.
    Game 5, if necessary, shifts to Buffalo on Saturday. But history is against the Sabres, considering only two NHL teams -- Toronto in 1942 and the New York Islanders in 1975 -- have ever won a series when down 3-0.
    That hasn't stopped coach Lindy Ruff from bringing up those two teams.
    "Approximately, every 33 years something great happens in this league, and you know, we're at about that 33-year range," said Ruff. "So, we've told them we're on the verge of greatness."
    Ruff also notes the Sabres did open the season by winning 10 straight games to match an NHL record, and won four straight four different times during the regular season.
    Yet, the Sabres have never looked so unsettled and frustrated as they have during this series.
    The Senators have clogged up the middle to contain the Sabres speed, and been strong blocking shots and eliminating second chances. On offense, the Senators continue to be led by their top line, Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza and Dany Heatley, who have combined to score 20 of the team's 43 goals this postseason.
    "It has been frustrating," Drury said. "I don't think a guy in here would argue about gripping the stick tighter or slamming doors or yelling at the refs. Yelling at each other is not going help us win. Everyone, hopefully, takes a deep breath and gets refocused."

thx to : ESPN
  • LABillsFan
    • Aug 2002

Re: The "Official Playoff" Sabres @ Sens game 4 - Gameday thread!

A little early Skooby, don't you think? What the heck, I acknowledge and support your hutzpah. GO SABRES!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• SabreEleven
      • Aug 2002

It's Officially Over after this.

Comment

• SabreEleven
        • Aug 2002

but on second thought, A Game 5 would bring more money to Buffalo...That would be a plus.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by SabreEleven
          It's Officially Over after this.
          nothing is over, we need to score often.

Comment

• Voltron
            • Jul 2002

I am heart broken .... but not surprised by the Sabres in this series. They are a team built on speed. It was only a miracle that someone didn't figure out how to slow them down to this point.
            Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
            - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
            -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
            - Mark Twain

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

I'm very upset with the way the series has gone, but it isn't over till it's over. I'll even accept Skooby making the thread early. Enjoy it man. Go Sabres!!

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

<---not a rat leaving a sinking ship

:oldskool:

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                  Closet Bills Fan
                  • Nov 2004

until the clock strikes zero and i see "XXXX wins the series" buffalo still has a chance...........

hopefully drury is more than just speaking the words, hopefully he shows it

j-e-t-s
                  jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

:oldskool:

Comment

• shelby
                      The Vanilla *****
                      • Jul 2002

"We could curl up and cry about it and go home," the Sabres co-captain said Tuesday. "Or we could fight like dogs."
                      i still want to have Drury's babies.
                      The series is not over. Let's hope the Sabres give us something to believe in tonight.
                      :oldskool::oldskool::oldskool::oldskool:

Comment

• Voltron
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by shelby
                        i still want to have Drury's babies.
                        The series is not over. Let's hope the Sabres give us something to believe in tonight.
                        :oldskool::oldskool::oldskool::oldskool:

YOU ARE ENGAGED YOUNG LADY!
                        Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                        - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                        -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                        - Mark Twain

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!! :oldskool:

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

"It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor"

I'm all for a miracle... and the Hockey Gods know we/I/Buffalo can use it...

The start of the most memorable Stanley Cup run in history has to begin somewhere... let it be tonight.

Comment

• PcA125
                              • May 2006

one game at a time
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X