PDA

View Full Version : 2nd oldest GM in league

patmoran2006
05-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Since I admit to being too lazy to look it up, does anybody know who the second oldest GM in the NFL is?

Dozerdog
05-16-2007, 04:55 PM
We're too lazy to answer.

YardRat
05-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Who cares.

Ickybaluky
05-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Since I admit to being too lazy to look it up, does anybody know who the second oldest GM in the NFL is?

I'd say Marv Levy.

Al Davis operates in a GM role for the Raiders.

Yasgur's Farm
05-16-2007, 05:22 PM
I believe Al Davis is younger than Marv... Even though he looks like last nights leftover supper.

Ron Burgundy
05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Whoever it is, I bet Marv's got at least 10 years on him.

Hey Pat, you made foxsports...sort of. Drop down to the Bills first pick.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Norcalfella/2007/04/30/NFL_General_Managers_vs_FOX_Bloggers_NFL_Draft

Jan Reimers
05-17-2007, 10:55 AM
What is the significance of Marv's age again? I can't see why it makes one bit of difference.

Earthquake Enyart
05-17-2007, 11:03 AM
What is the significance of Marv's age again? I can't see why it makes one bit of difference.
He get's 10% off when Ralph takes him to Denny's.

xXSpIkes5IXx
05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
I just looked it up and Al Davis is 4 years younger than Marv, so my bet is its him.

SquishDaFish
05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Who gives a ****. Age doesnt mean ****. Stop stirring the pot with your stupid antics towards Marv.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I think overall, most people associate advanced age with diminished mental capacity in one form or the other. Thus, there may be an inference into Marv's ability to perform at a high cognitive level.

Coach Sal
05-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I think overall, most people associate advanced age with diminished mental capacity in one form or the other. Thus, there may be an inference into Marv's ability to perform at a high cognitive level.

Substitute the words "the color of one's skin" with the bolded part and it's easy to see how age discrimination is just as prevelant -- and just as ignorant -- as race discrimination is in this country today.

The only thing that should matter to any Buffalo Bills fan is if Marv Levy can lead the Buffalo Bills to success. Whether he's 80, 60, or 40, that should be the only question that ever matters.

(I'm not saying you're doing it, just pointing out the observation you made, which is unfortunately correct).

Ron Burgundy
05-17-2007, 10:20 PM
http://www.shagadelica.net/wp-content/pictures/_923strawman.jpg

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 08:13 AM
WTF.

How did this turn into I'm bashing Marv? If I want to bash Marv I dont need to mask it... I asked a damn question.

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 08:17 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Marv is still smarter than about 99.9% of the posters on this board.

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 08:18 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Marv is still smarter than about 99.9% of the posters on this board.

I'm officially a minority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Oh, and knows more about football than 100% of us.

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm officially a minority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
Yeah, Doc, Marv is actually smarter than 99.97669% of us. It's you and me out of 8,581 members.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 08:27 AM
ya know.. thats one of the most consistent, and also dumb things said on this message board.

when are you going to stop comparing Marv Levy's football knowledge to a bunch of posters that are 9/5 employees, college kids, retired, or jobless people?

How about you finally start to compare him to 31 other GM's in the NFL, which are his peers, which is the right comparision.

'He's smarter than every poster on the board"-- that's your excuse for everything. So when he signs FA bums or gets burned on stupid trades, that's fine because he's smarter than us?

And for the record- I asked a simple question- this had nothing to do with Marv's GM abilities or intelligence. I wanted to know what other GMs in the league are up there in age as well.

Coach Sal
05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
He may be smarter than any of us (and most people), and believe me, he does know more about football than any of us (and most people), but that doesn't mean he'll always make the right decisions regarding the Bills.

Smart people and knowledgeable people make bad decisions all the time.

You just have to hope that his knowledge and intelligence allow him to make many, many more right decisions than wrong ones. If not, and he makes many more bad decisions which result in more losing, then he should be fired just like any other GM would, regardless of his age.

To answer the original question.......I couldn't find the exact ages of GMs, but Ernie Accorsi was 65 when he retired last year, and Jerry Jones is 65 right now, I believe. I don't think tere are any GMs 70 or older, other than Marv. (But John Muckler is 73 :D )

Earthquake Enyart
05-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I'd be willing to say a tree stump is smarter than 99.9% of the posters

TedMock
05-18-2007, 12:04 PM
ya know.. thats one of the most consistent, and also dumb things said on this message board.

when are you going to stop comparing Marv Levy's football knowledge to a bunch of posters that are 9/5 employees, college kids, retired, or jobless people?

How about you finally start to compare him to 31 other GM's in the NFL, which are his peers, which is the right comparision.

'He's smarter than every poster on the board"-- that's your excuse for everything. So when he signs FA bums or gets burned on stupid trades, that's fine because he's smarter than us?

And for the record- I asked a simple question- this had nothing to do with Marv's GM abilities or intelligence. I wanted to know what other GMs in the league are up there in age as well.

I agree that his book smarts won't necessarily translate to his football / GM intelligence. My only thing is that I would be willing to bet his football/GM intelligence is far greater than ours as well. Yes, we have to first compare him to his peers. "FA bums...burned on stupid trades" happens to all GM's. That doesn't really bother me seeing that most moves don't work out. We need to see the end product. After one full year, I think he's done decent overall. Some good, some questionable. Now that we've pointed out these flaws; I have to ask - Do you think that you have more football/GM smarts than Marv Levy? I feel that I know the game as well as any fan. Honestly, that's how I feel. I'm not being arrogant as I'm willing to listen to and learn from others. I no longer play and I no longer coach. I just love and follow the game. However, I don't feel that I can hang with Marv in the GM capacity. How do you feel?

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 12:34 PM
What's tiresome about your posts, Pat, is EVERYTHING.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree that his book smarts won't necessarily translate to his football / GM intelligence. My only thing is that I would be willing to bet his football/GM intelligence is far greater than ours as well. Yes, we have to first compare him to his peers. "FA bums...burned on stupid trades" happens to all GM's. That doesn't really bother me seeing that most moves don't work out. We need to see the end product. After one full year, I think he's done decent overall. Some good, some questionable. Now that we've pointed out these flaws; I have to ask - Do you think that you have more football/GM smarts than Marv Levy? I feel that I know the game as well as any fan. Honestly, that's how I feel. I'm not being arrogant as I'm willing to listen to and learn from others. I no longer play and I no longer coach. I just love and follow the game. However, I don't feel that I can hang with Marv in the GM capacity. How do you feel?
Of course I dont know more about football than Marv Levy. Once again though, that's not the point.

Is this organization run so badly that the comparison of how good a GM is has become to compare it to a Billszone Poster??? Again, compare Levy's football intelligence to his PEERS, the 31 other general managers in the NFL.

Going by Jan's logic; then Matt Millen is a brilliant man as well because he knows more about football than any poster here.

Non-sense.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 01:11 PM
What's tiresome about your posts, Pat, is EVERYTHING.
Not half as tiresome as every stupid move made by every GM this franchise has seen post-Polian, Levy included.. and then to have a homer say "So what, he's smarter than you".

Hank Bullough, Mike Mularkey and Kay Stephenson knows more about football than any poster here as well; does that make them good head coaches?

TedMock
05-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Of course I dont know more about football than Marv Levy. Once again though, that's not the point.

Is this organization run so badly that the comparison of how good a GM is has become to compare it to a Billszone Poster??? Again, compare Levy's football intelligence to his PEERS, the 31 other general managers in the NFL.

Going by Jan's logic; then Matt Millen is a brilliant man as well because he knows more about football than any poster here.

Non-sense.

That makes perfect sense. I agree that we have to compare him to his peers. We should only do so if we're going to compare both good and bad though. The folks on one end won't bad-mouth him because "he's smarter," and I agree that's stupid. It's also stupid to say that he's made all of these bad moves compared to his peers. Again, they all make questionable moves. I don't think Marv's moves aren't as questionable at this point is because he's only been on the job for about a year. We don't know exactly how most of these moves will pan out. Some of them are players already on the downside, for i.e., Price. I totally understand questioning that. I do not understand questioning moving up for McCargo or Poz. Why? How could we? Let's see if these guys are players first. Just because the media doesn't like it means nothing. What do other GM's think of these guys? We'll never know. That's why we can't legitimately question these moves right now.

A few years ago people were screaming all over the message boards (and I remember this clearly) that we should draft this stud TE named Jason Peters. We eventually landed Peters after the draft and he's been a stud, but certainly not at TE. Royal? I do question that one for obvious reasons. Fowler? Not at all. He wasn't the problem on our o-line and he was certainly an upgrade and starting quality. Tripplett? We'll see. I want to see him play next to a solid 2-gap tackle that compliments his strengths before I pass complete judgement. We'll see. Dockery? Absolutely the right move. They were all overpaid this year and Steinbech never made the pro-bowl either. Being in Redskins country I've watched Dockery and he is solid. He's over-aggressive at times which is a legit knock, but he's solid. Langston Walker? Scary prospect in my opinion. From what little I've watched of him over time I felt that he was a decent guard who struggled at tackle. Of course, maybe the blocking schemes were such that he took "credit" for a lot of sacks that weren't his fault. I have no idea.

Overall I love the fact that Marv is trying to put together a nucleus. We desperately need that. So what if it takes one more season at this point? I'm so sick of losing, but we need a core group of team guys to build a long-term success and I like the direction right now. I think Marv, and always have, that we need stability before we can succeed. I also think that we are no further than one year away from being a true competitor and I hope we end up surprising a few folks this year.

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 03:00 PM
So, Pat, are you actually saying that Marv might be ahead of Millen, and therefore not the worst front office guy in the league?

Good for you.

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Oh, and how did my saying that Marv was smarter and more football- knowledgable than us get twisted by you into Matt Millen being a brilliant man?

Your posts defy logic and are way beyond "non-sense."

Do you wake up pissed off everyday, or do you have to work at it?

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 03:20 PM
So, Pat, are you actually saying that Marv might be ahead of Millen, and therefore not the worst front office guy in the league?

Good for you.
When did I ever say Marv is the worst "Front office guy in the league"?

I never said it. and I never implied it. Im just tired of the ridiculous "Marv is smarter than you" crap. NO **** .

But that doesnt mean he can successfully oversee a NFL franchise. And I have an issue with a TON of moves he's made in only two years- so until/if this team is a winner under him- I will continue to question whatever I choose.

Bling
05-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh, and how did my saying that Marv was smarter and more football- knowledgable than us get twisted by you into Matt Millen being a brilliant man?

Your posts defy logic and are way beyond "non-sense."

Do you wake up pissed off everyday, or do you have to work at it?

Calm down, Jan. If he's being excessive, then report him. Otherwise, you're only contributing to the mess the board is becoming. Some might argue that you're the one causing the problem.

PECKERWOOD
05-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Ever hear the maxim: The older, the wiser? In Marv's case it proves to be true. Keep aging well Marv!

Fletch
05-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Substitute the words "the color of one's skin" with the bolded part and it's easy to see how age discrimination is just as prevelant -- and just as ignorant -- as race discrimination is in this country today.

The only thing that should matter to any Buffalo Bills fan is if Marv Levy can lead the Buffalo Bills to success. Whether he's 80, 60, or 40, that should be the only question that ever matters.

(I'm not saying you're doing it, just pointing out the observation you made, which is unfortunately correct).

OK;

I think overall, most people associate the color of one's skin with diminished mental capacity in one form or the other. Thus, there may be an inference into Marv's ability to perform at a high cognitive level.

And you think those two are the same?

Here are a few questions for you:

Is there an average life expectancy in the world or in countries? If so, then how is it measured? feet? yards? cups? amps? what?

Is there any research at all suggesting that as that measure increases it is generally proportional to mental capacity? Or is that simply baseless?

Tie the two together please. Does a "blacker" or "less black" person have more or less mental capacity?

How about a "white" or "less white" person?

Dozerdog
05-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah, Doc, Marv is actually smarter than 99.97669% of us. It's you and me out of 8,581 members.:mad:

Jan Reimers
05-19-2007, 07:48 AM
I simply fail to see how we can judge Marv on his age, or his performance at this point. He's been on the job for what, less than a year and a half, which has given him two free agent periods and two drafts to turn around a team that was decimated by Donahoe.

I happen to think he is a great football man who has us moving in the right direction. We improved last year, and I think we will again this season. Others obviously feel differently. I'm simply in favor of giving him a chance.

Jan Reimers
05-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Calm down, Jan. If he's being excessive, then report him. Otherwise, you're only contributing to the mess the board is becoming. Some might argue that you're the one causing the problem.
090lkjs

Pat being excessive with 50 threads a week on the same, or very similar, negative topics? For calling me stupid every time I offer an optimistic assessment that responds to his constant *****ing and whining?

Please.

patmoran2006
05-19-2007, 08:39 AM
090lkjs

Pat being excessive with 50 threads a week on the same, or very similar, negative topics? For calling me stupid every time I offer an optimistic assessment that responds to his constant *****ing and whining?

Please.
I have not called you stupid. I have never called you stupid (knowingly), I do not imply that you are stupid- and I certainly don't think your stupid. To the contrary, I think you're one of the smarter posters on here.

I just respectfully am on the TOTAL opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to how you perceive this team. Actually, not so much even the team rather it's poorly run front office.

Coach Sal
05-19-2007, 10:01 AM
OK;

I think overall, most people associate the color of one's skin with diminished mental capacity in one form or the other. Thus, there may be an inference into Marv's ability to perform at a high cognitive level.

And you think those two are the same?

Here are a few questions for you:

Is there an average life expectancy in the world or in countries? If so, then how is it measured? feet? yards? cups? amps? what?

Is there any research at all suggesting that as that measure increases it is generally proportional to mental capacity? Or is that simply baseless?

Tie the two together please. Does a "blacker" or "less black" person have more or less mental capacity?

How about a "white" or "less white" person?

OK, let's try this a different way and maybe you'll understand the point (or I didn't explain it well enough).

Let's say the fans of an NFL team were responsible for hiring a new GM and 5 people applied for the job. However, they knew nothing about any them as far as previous work history, what they look like, or how old they were. Nothing.

The only thing those fans could base their decision on is what the candidates say in the interview....how much football knowledge they have, what their vision and direction are for the team, and philosophies of football (or life in general), etc..

If Marv Levy was one of those 5 guys up against guys who were all at least 20 years younger than him (even if those others had already accomplished a ton in pro football), I'd be willing to bet he'd still be WAY more impressive in that interview than most, if not all of them.

Now, let's say instead, going into the interview, everyone knew all of their ages. You really want to tell me there wouldn't be an automatic bias against him before he walked in that door? Of course there would be. You really think he would have as good of a chance to land that job?

And that's no different than the same thing happening if the candidate was black instead of being 80 years old.

Of course age is directly correlated with life expectancy. I'm not naive. But if an 80 year-old man demonstrates an ability to perform his job better than a 60 year-old or a 40 year-old, that correlation means nothing. And to automatically assume he can't do that because of his age is just as discriminatory as basing his ability on "the color of his skin."

If Marv makes this team successful again, and they continue with that success, he should continue in his role - I don't care if he's 95 when that's happening. But if he fails, he should be fired just like anyone else would be.

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I happen to think he is a great football man who has us moving in the right direction.

I'm not sure why people aren't able to seperate the two Marv Levy's. Levy the coach and Levy the GM. It is ok to say he is a lousy GM. That takes nothing away from his coaching career.

We improved last year

What moves did Levy make that did this. They went from bad to still bad IMO. Were there other viable options that could have made the team improve even more?

Others obviously feel differently. I'm simply in favor of giving him a chance.

I think everyone is willing to give him a chance. It's just a question of how short is your leash with him on the job? Improving is nice even as this rebuilding seems to be closer to a 5 year plan than a 3 year plan. However, OTHER TEAMS IMPROVE AS WELL DURING THIS PERIOD.