PDA

View Full Version : There is WAY too much confidence around here....

OpIv37
05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Every game we play is now an elimination game. Ottawa is 8-4 against us this season, although we won last night, the team didn't look all that great and looked a LOT worse after allowing just one goal. They can be rattled.

Granted, the pressure is on Ottawa now but they are a damn good team and have proven they can beat us, even on our home ice.

So, let's cut all this talk about winning the series. Ottawa still has the upper hand. The Sabres still have a lot to prove. I know it's cliche, but we need to take this one game at a time. Let's worry about winning on Saturday- if we can do that, at least there is some pride in the comeback effort regardless of what happens afterwards.

BlackMetalNinja
05-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Every game we play is now an elimination game. Ottawa is 8-4 against us this season, although we won last night, the team didn't look all that great and looked a LOT worse after allowing just one goal. They can be rattled.

Granted, the pressure is on Ottawa now but they are a damn good team and have proven they can beat us, even on our home ice.

So, let's cut all this talk about winning the series. Ottawa still has the upper hand. The Sabres still have a lot to prove. I know it's cliche, but we need to take this one game at a time. Let's worry about winning on Saturday- if we can do that, at least there is some pride in the comeback effort regardless of what happens afterwards.

Op... it's ok to be a realist and all, but is it really necessary to stomp on everybody else's optimism?

Dr. Lecter
05-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Op... it's ok to be a realist and all, but is it really necessary to stomp on everybody else's optimism?

Yes.

Mitchy moo
05-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Death to all who have hope, in Op's mind.:candle: He needs to be called Darth vader, he wants everyone to turn to the darkside.

Philagape
05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES! WE WILL WIN THE SERIES!

DraftBoy
05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
We aint dead yet, but we sure as hell arent close to winning this thing.

Bill Brasky
05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
no doubt ottawa, outside of maybe 3 or 4 periods, has totally owned us this entire series.

but i have confidence that we can come back and win the series. watching this team all season, i have every reason to think they can pull it off.

don137
05-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey, we know its going to be tough but now the Sabres may start to believe in themselves and it is contagious and the fans are believing in them...I rather be in Ottawa's shoes up 2 games but since we can't change the final outcome we mind as well believe they can do it. With 2 games at home you never know. One more loss by Ottawa and they start second guessing themselves.

Typ0
05-17-2007, 10:00 AM
it seems to me the one trump card we have is goaltending and that just may give us a chance to get back in this thing if we play better every night.

Bufftp
05-17-2007, 10:08 AM

Oh put a sock in it.
Go Sabres!
Shun Op

OpIv37
05-17-2007, 10:19 AM

Yes- we look like a bunch of jackasses going around talking about winning the series when we were down 3-0 and are still down 3-1. We're seriously lucky that no Sens fans post here cuz we'd never hear the end of it.

Bufftp
05-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I could care less about Sens fans.

Mitchy moo
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I could care less about Sens fans.

exactly, f- ottawatonians.

chernobylwraiths
05-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Nothing like pissing on people's hopes.

Meathead
05-17-2007, 11:31 AM
try to see beyond your preconceived image of op as the whiney pessimistic ***** of bills football and youll see hes right here

ok maybe not *****. that was harsh

no on third thought *****

Bufftp
05-17-2007, 11:49 AM
try to see beyond your preconceived image of op as the whiney pessimistic ***** of bills football and youll see hes right here

ok maybe not *****. that was harsh

Who cares. This is sport, entertainment. I'm allowed to be positive, ignore the negatives. There is enough of that in real life.

Let us Homers, us Believers have our fun without interjecting "reality" in our fun, our escape. real life is always there waiting.

This is why you negative nancies are being shunned. As you should be.

Dr. Lecter
05-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Let us Homers, us Believers have our fun without interjecting "reality" in our fun, our escape. real life is always there waiting.

:shutup:

Bufftp
05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
:shutup:
It was in reference to being a sports fan only Lector.
Swig some more Jim Beam.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
What is wrong with being confident. Most of us has seen this team all year and we all know what they are capable of. I am not as optimistic as others, but I don't have a problem with people being confident that this team can accomplish what looked to be impossible the other day.

Meathead
05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
very true but how we have fun is by being realistic

Meathead
05-17-2007, 12:57 PM
btw not sure it came across right but this was alleged humor

i like to try to do it without using the :)

Philagape
05-17-2007, 01:31 PM
It is unquestionable that there is reason for hope. It's not blind faith.

camelcowboy
05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Theres a difference between overconfindence and hope, no one around here is claiming the sabres are going to win 3 in a row against a solid senators team, but the series goes seven games for a reason. Ottawa has won three, every game we hang around the better it is for the sabres. If you look at ottawa's wins against us some could argue that they barely beat a struggling team. The sabres won last night i still don't think they're firing on all cylinders. If the senators fail to erase the sabres saturday afternoon then buffalo will have the momentum. Its not a crime to have hope, but a crime is writing them off until ottawa can show they have lost their choking ways.

kgun12
05-17-2007, 02:22 PM
I say check out my thread:

SCREW THE NAY SAYER"S!!!

Thank You!

BlackMetalNinja
05-17-2007, 02:49 PM
I didn't make any statement as to whether or not I thought Op was wrong or right... I just don't understand why he finds it necessary to rain on everybody's parade all the time?

JD
05-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Welp there goes billszone.. ill be on hf until the series is over, thanks op

OpIv37
05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Nothing like pissing on people's hopes.

if people's hopes are unrealistic, they deserve to have them pissed on.

Philagape
05-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Hope, by definition, is less than realistic. If we were expected to win, then we wouldn't have to hope for it.

As long as there's a chance, however slim, then hope is justified. And if the prince of darkness wants to be the mood police and bash people for hoping, then he can take his misery-loves-company indignation and shove it up his arse.

Philagape
05-17-2007, 09:49 PM
If someone tries to counter hope with realism, that's totally missing the point. Most if not all of the hopers know full well the odds against what they're hoping for. They're not examining the past or even the present; they're looking forward to the future.
They choose to hope anyway, and there's nothing anyone can say to douse that because it's an emotion. You can't reason with emotion.

chernobylwraiths
05-17-2007, 09:54 PM
if people's hopes are unrealistic, they deserve to have them pissed on.

Nice.

Dr. Lecter
05-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Op should work in Hospice. He would be great for the patients!

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-17-2007, 10:15 PM
very true but how we have fun is by being realistic

That is so not true.

shelby
05-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Sabres in 7 *****es!
:oldskool:

Meathead
05-18-2007, 06:19 AM
how can you speak of what is true for me or anyone else

frankly i think its kinda silly this 'i believe' crap but since its only sports entertainment it doesnt matter. how can you 'believe' when something is an extreme longshot that you have no control over, the answer is you cant. that by definition is blind devotion. you can hope and thats fine and i do but to believe is comical

thats nothing but pure fantasy, and again since its entertainment thats ok. its when people start taking it so very seriously that the **** hits the fandom

like ive said many times, people like to treat their sports like politics and their politics like sports, putting false importance on one while projecting blind partisan devotion into the other

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 06:50 AM
putting false importance on one while projecting blind partisan devotion into the other

Sounds like you have no kids because with them, it's all based on hope. You hope for them to not get sick everyday (even though you know they will here and there), you hope for them to become professional (even though most likely they'll become scum, like yourself) and you hope for them to be happy / healthy (even though they might end up like OP / Meat).

Sorry to say it but your sorry.

P.S. Confidence is the first step to success, not the last step to failure.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Hope, by definition, is less than realistic. If we were expected to win, then we wouldn't have to hope for it.

As long as there's a chance, however slim, then hope is justified. And if the prince of darkness wants to be the mood police and bash people for hoping, then he can take his misery-loves-company indignation and shove it up his arse.

there is a difference between hope and expectations, and too many people here have blurred the distinction. It's arrogant and irrational.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Sounds like you have no kids because with them, it's all based on hope. You hope for them to not get sick everyday (even though you know they will here and there), you hope for them to become professional (even though most likely they'll become scum, like yourself) and you hope for them to be happy / healthy (even though they might end up like OP / Meat).

Sorry to say it but your sorry.

P.S. Confidence is the first step to success, not the last step to failure.

How do you know I'm not healthy and/or happy?

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 08:07 AM
there is a difference between hope and expectations, and too many people here have blurred the distinction. It's arrogant and irrational.

Irrational? Sure. But so is rooting for a bunch of guys the hit a small frozen peice of rubber into a net.

Arrogant? Not really.

Philagape
05-18-2007, 08:07 AM

But you said unrealistic HOPES deserve to be pissed on

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Irrational? Sure. But so is rooting for a bunch of guys the hit a small frozen peice of rubber into a net.

Arrogant? Not really.

If we were up 3-1 and a bunch of Sens fans were on this board talking about they were going to win the series, you'd think it was arrogant.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 08:10 AM
But you said unrealistic HOPES deserve to be pissed on

either pissed on now or crushed when they don't come true- take your pick.

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 08:11 AM
If we were up 3-1 and a bunch of Sens fans were on this board talking about they were going to win the series, you'd think it was arrogant.

We are on home board. If people we saying this on a Sens board, I would argee that is arrogant. But we are saying it on a Sabres board.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 08:12 AM
We are on home board. If people we saying this on a Sens board, I would argee that is arrogant. But we are saying it on a Sabres board.

so arrogance isn't arrogance as long as it's homeristic. Got it.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
how can you speak of what is true for me or anyone else

It is not true that it is more fun to be realistic. I thought that was what I quoted.

BlackMetalNinja
05-18-2007, 08:17 AM
You still haven't answered my question Op... Why is it necessary for you to bring everybody else down and mock them for believing in their team? What is the point of sports for you anyways? To only cheer for your team when there is a greater than 50% chance that they might succeed?

I just don't get it... of course you are entitled to your opinion, and I actually agree that too many people are flat out acting like we're in the driver's seat now, but at the same time I'm not going to criticize them for having hope and believing in the team that they like, that's something that I can keep to myself pretty easily if it were my view point rather than having to bring my negative thoughts on everybody else.

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 08:22 AM
You still haven't answered my question Op... Why is it necessary for you to bring everybody else down and mock them for believing in their team? What is the point of sports for you anyways? To only cheer for your team when there is a greater than 50% chance that they might succeed?

I just don't get it... of course you are entitled to your opinion, and I actually agree that too many people are flat out acting like we're in the driver's seat now, but at the same time I'm not going to criticize them for having hope and believing in the team that they like, that's something that I can keep to myself pretty easily if it were my view point rather than having to bring my negative thoughts on everybody else.

Attention is what he is after, he craves it. I think he is ill but he claims great health and a different personality away from this board but we know better. If he lives his alter-ego here it's always lurking even though he denies it. Shame to live live that way, that's not really living.

BlackMetalNinja
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Attention is what he is after, he craves it. I think he is ill but he claims great health and a different personality away from this board but we know better. If he lives his alter-ego here it's always lurking even though he denies it. Shame to live live that way, that's not really living.

And I think you're looking far too into it... I would never go so far as to claim all that, especially having never met the guy. I generally agree with his opinions and he seems a very cool dude, I just don't understand the necessity to constantly shoot everybody else's hopes down, no matter how realistic they may be. I'm by no means looking to start a fight, just expressing my view that I think what he said was unnecessary.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 08:25 AM

it's a message board for discussing the Bills and the Sabres. There is currently good reason to be negative about both (although a month ago no one except Nighthawk would have thought that about the Sabres). I don't know why people expect everyone to be positive after the performances we've witnessed recently (and when it comes to the Bills, "recently" means the better part of a ****ING DECADE). When people start talking about how we're going to win the series because we won one game after getting our asses handed to us three times in a row, it's arrogant, irrational and makes us look like jackasses.

We all hope the Sabres and the Bills do well, but it's ridiculous to actually think it's going to happen at this point. It irritates the hell out of me when the team is underperforming and all anyone can talk about is how good they're going to do. I HATE losing and I HATE people vindicating mediocre and underachieving teams.

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 08:29 AM
We all hope the Sabres and the Bills do well, but it's ridiculous to actually think it's going to happen at this point. It irritates the hell out of me when the team is underperforming and all anyone can talk about is how good they're going to do. I HATE losing and I HATE people vindicating mediocre and underachieving teams.

self defense mechanisms, got it now.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 08:30 AM

again, how would you know? You don't know me.

Do you understand the concept of an "outlet"? When something bothers me, I can't just keep it in because if I do it eventually comes out in some completely inappropriate way. So if I'm frustrated about the Bills or Sabres (or sometimes other things) I use this message board as an outlet).

I don't know why you seem to think extreme disappointment with underperforming sports teams is the same as being "unhappy and unhealthy".

What's unhealthy is the naivete in your inability to ever see anything bad or acknowledge flaws. In your world, everything is always great so there is no reason to ever change or improve.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
self defense mechanisms, got it now.

what the hell are you even talking about? how is that a self defense mechanism, Dr. Freud?

BlackMetalNinja
05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Ok then, there's the difference between you and me. Yes, I see us underperforming and underachieving and I don't like it at all. Losing is not fun you're right about that much... but if I can't believe things will get better, there is absolutely no point in me being a fan or even watching sports. By your standards, I should have torn down all my Bills and Sabres and Tigers stuff years ago and thrown them all out. I would have saved hundreds and thousands of dollars and hours of my life not watching my teams play...

don137
05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
I think the Sabres will win game 5....Game 6 really worries me but if we win game 6 then I see Ottawa melting down and choking again by losing 3 in a row and the Sabres win the 7th game.
Many thought this would go 7 games...Let's hope it does.

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 08:43 AM
What's unhealthy is the naivete in your inability to ever see anything bad or acknowledge flaws. In your world, everything is always great so there is no reason to ever change or improve.

Is that really unhealthy? I live in a completely different world from which I grew up in Buffalo. I solely attribute it to positive thinking and the chance of always looking up and seeing the brightside. I seen enough downsides of my life as a child in Buffalo, my dad losing his job at Bell areospace and all his misfortunes and living in a little house near Otto's in Cheektowaga. I aspired to become more and looked forward instead of backward. You look at things as what's negative in the past to try to determine your fate. I look to change that fate and see the signs of better things to come. If you cannot recognize those signs how could you move towards them?

The Sabres played better in their zone and skated back as a team. Vanek sat because he, unlike the rest of the team did want to take the body as well as the puck. He blew a play in our zone by just trying to swipe the puck past a guy, when he could of hit him and held him up enough. It cost us a goal as well as momentum, so Ruff figured the folks that want to to finish on a play will play. Those that don't can sit and watch, no more playing because you are X.

Those types of decisions lead me to believe that the Ruff will watch what everyone does and if they fail to perform on any shift, they sit and he gives them a chance and if they fail again they sit longer. I recognize the flaws and so does Ruff and he is acting accordingly. That will increase our chances and give us a much better opportunity to win, bench who will not work. There is the reason for my optimism, you'll see it on a new post in a moment.

Goodluck looking back OP, that door is always open. It's the one in front of you that's going to close all too soon that's the real problem.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Ok then, there's the difference between you and me. Yes, I see us underperforming and underachieving and I don't like it at all. Losing is not fun you're right about that much... but if I can't believe things will get better, there is absolutely no point in me being a fan or even watching sports. By your standards, I should have torn down all my Bills and Sabres and Tigers stuff years ago and thrown them all out. I would have saved hundreds and thousands of dollars and hours of my life not watching my teams play...

I NEVER said not to watch them- I said don't have high expectations. I hope the Bills will get better, but after watching them last year and watching this off-season, I don't actually believe it's going to happen. I hope the Sabres pull off the miracle, but I don't actually believe it's going to happen after watching the Senators hand them their asses all year.

I don't know why people seem to think they have to expect victories to watch sports.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Is that really unhealthy? I live in a completely different world from which I grew up in Buffalo. I solely attribute it to positive thinking and the chance of always looking up and seeing the brightside. I seen enough downsides of my life as a child in Buffalo, my dad losing his job at Bell areospace and all his misfortunes and living in a little house near Otto's in Cheektowaga. I aspired to become more and looked forward instead of backward. You look at things as what's negative in the past to try to determine your fate. I look to change that fate and see the signs of better things to come. If you cannot recognize those signs how could you move towards them?

The Sabres played better in their zone and skated back as a team. Vanek sat because he, unlike the rest of the team did want to take the body as well as the puck. He blew a play in our zone by just trying to swipe the puck past a guy, when he could of hit him and held him up enough. It cost us a goal as well as momentum, so Ruff figured the folks that want to to finish on a play will play. Those that don't can sit and watch, no more playing because you are X.

Those types of decisions lead me to believe that the Ruff will watch what everyone does and if they fail to perform on any shift, they sit and he gives them a chance and if they fail again they sit longer. I recognize the flaws and so does Ruff and he is acting accordingly. That will increase our chances and give us a much better opportunity to win, bench who will not work. There is the reason for my optimism, you'll see it on a new post in a moment.

Goodluck looking back OP, that door is always open. It's the one in front of you that's going to close all too soon that's the real problem.

You see the signs of the good things to come at the expense of ignoring the roadblocks. You're never going to make it to those signs if you don't pay attention to what's in your way first and address it accordingly.

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 09:10 AM
You see the signs of the good things to come at the expense of ignoring the roadblocks. You're never going to make it to those signs if you don't pay attention to what's in your way first and address it accordingly.

I made it because I side stepped those roadblocks like they we're never there. In my mind, there was never anything in my way but myself.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
I made it because I side stepped those roadblocks like they we're never there. In my mind, there was never anything in my way but myself.

well you're wrong about that because there external factors beyond any individual's control whether you choose to acknowlede them or not. Keep operating in that ideal world- it's like driving with your eyes closed. You're fine as long as the road is straight, but even a slight curve could become a major problem when you're not prepared for it.

THATHURMANATOR
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Yes- we look like a bunch of jackasses going around talking about winning the series when we were down 3-0 and are still down 3-1. We're seriously lucky that no Sens fans post here cuz we'd never hear the end of it.
Who cares what we look like man? We aren't trying to impress anyone are we? We are just trying to have fun with what we have been dealt.

Philagape
05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
either pissed on now or crushed when they don't come true- take your pick.

And yet there still Buffalo fans who have had their hopes crushed many times ... and still hoping. Like I said before, hope cannot be doused by reality. Losing does not diminish it.
Hope is not so much about the team you're rooting for as it is about the kind of person you are.
Life is full of adversity. That's a constant. The variable is how we react to it.
There are over 120 major pro sports teams, and each year only four win a championship. (not to mention colleges, minors, etc.) Almost all sports fans see their team lose in the end, and most go for a long time without celebrating. For the average sports fan, disappointment is the norm. That will never change. Now they can choose to cry woe-is-me and sulk in perpetual despair. That's their right, but it's also right for fans to still harbor hope despite being disappointed over and over and over again. There is nothing you can do about that. Ever. Because it's who they are. Losing does not break them.

Hey hopers ... if the Sabres lose, will you regret hoping? Will it keep you from hoping in the future?

If losing four Super Bowls in a row can't do it to Buffalo fans, then nothing can.

BlackMetalNinja
05-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't know why people seem to think they have to expect victories to watch sports.

You said yourself you hate losing... so how is it fun to watch sports if you're expecting to lose?!?!?!

don137
05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
You said yourself you hate losing... so how is it fun to watch sports if you're expecting to lose?!?!?!

I was thinking the same thing...I don't mind being a critic when it is warranted but I don't go overboard with the world is ending. Just different strokes for different folks....

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 09:50 AM

how fun is it to expect something that never happens over and over and over....

there is a difference between wanting something to happen and expecting something to happen. I want to win Mega Millions tonight so I'm gonna buy a ticket on my lunch break, but I don't actually EXPECT to win. If I did, I might as well take the rest of the afternoon off and work on maxing out my credit card.

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 09:56 AM
how fun is it to expect something that never happens over and over and over....

there is a difference between wanting something to happen and expecting something to happen. I want to win Mega Millions tonight so I'm gonna buy a ticket on my lunch break, but I don't actually EXPECT to win. If I did, I might as well take the rest of the afternoon off and work on maxing out my credit card.

Sure, millions to one versus 3-1. Really great comparison.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 09:59 AM
And yet there still Buffalo fans who have had their hopes crushed many times ... and still hoping. Like I said before, hope cannot be doused by reality. Losing does not diminish it.
Hope is not so much about the team you're rooting for as it is about the kind of person you are.
Life is full of adversity. That's a constant. The variable is how we react to it.
There are over 120 major pro sports teams, and each year only four win a championship. (not to mention colleges, minors, etc.) Almost all sports fans see their team lose in the end, and most go for a long time without celebrating. For the average sports fan, disappointment is the norm. That will never change. Now they can choose to cry woe-is-me and sulk in perpetual despair. That's their right, but it's also right for fans to still harbor hope despite being disappointed over and over and over again. There is nothing you can do about that. Ever. Because it's who they are. Losing does not break them.

Hey hopers ... if the Sabres lose, will you regret hoping? Will it keep you from hoping in the future?

If losing four Super Bowls in a row can't do it to Buffalo fans, then nothing can.

well again you're not defining your expections properly. A successful season doesn't always have to be defined by winning the championship. At the start of every Bills season, I want them to win the SB but I know that's not realistic. Realistically, I hope they win enough games that the games in November and December still matter. There's nothing worse than 6+ weeks of games that don't matter because even if we win out we won't make the playoffs. If the Bills actually do make the playoffs and lose in the first round this year, I'll be disappointed and pissed after the loss, but on the whole that would have to be considered a successful season.

With the Sabres, its' different because they've been better recently. If they lose this round (as it looks like they're going to) then they did no better than last year. They also have the skill to win the Cup this year, so if they don't win it, it has to be considered a disappointment.

The problem here is people can't separate their hope from their expectations. They expect an extremely unlikely outcome because it's what they want..... and I shouldn't have to explain why there are problems with that on so many levels.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Sure, millions to one versus 3-1. Really great comparison.

Stupid post.

The chances of coming back from being down 3 games in playoff series are MUCH worse than 3-1.

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Stupid post.

The chances of coming back from being down 3 games in playoff series are MUCH worse than 3-1.

Really? Is Mega Millions type numbers closer to the real numbers or 3-1.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Really? Is Mega Millions type numbers closer to the real numbers or 3-1.

the point is that the odds are greatly slanted against both things happening. So to hope for them to happen is one thing- to expect them to happen is simply unrealistic.

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 10:34 AM
the point is that the odds are greatly slanted against both things happening. So to hope for them to happen is one thing- to expect them to happen is simply unrealistic.

How many people do you think really expect the Sabres to win, if they are honest?

Since it is harmless optimism, unlike you credit card max-out idea, who freakin' cares?

If you don't want people complaining about Opie and Anthony's idiocy since it is harmless, why is some people being overly optimistic a sticking point?

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 10:46 AM
How many people do you think really expect the Sabres to win, if they are honest?

Since it is harmless optimism, unlike you credit card max-out idea, who freakin' cares?

If you don't want people complaining about Opie and Anthony's idiocy since it is harmless, why is some people being overly optimistic a sticking point?

People have the right to complain about OnA all they want- they don't have the right to get them kicked off the air just cuz they don't like what was said.

After the Game 1 loss, Skooby said we had a 100% chance of winning the series. BuffTP and JD seemed pretty damn convinced we're gonna pull it out too. So there are people who honestly think we're going to win, or at least that's what they're expressing through their posts.

Philagape
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
People have the right to complain about OnA all they want- they don't have the right to get them kicked off the air just cuz they don't like what was said.

After the Game 1 loss, Skooby said we had a 100% chance of winning the series. BuffTP and JD seemed pretty damn convinced we're gonna pull it out too. So there are people who honestly think we're going to win, or at least that's what they're expressing through their posts.

And there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. If such posts offend you so much, then you shouldn't be in an open forum.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 10:52 AM
And there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. If such posts offend you so much, then you shouldn't be in an open forum.

there is something I can do about it- I can express my disagreement. But apparently a few people here think I shouldn't be able to.

Philagape
05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
there is something I can do about it- I can express my disagreement. But apparently a few people here think I shouldn't be able to.

You do more than disagree ... you angrily demand that people stop and dictate what they should feel and talk about.

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 11:03 AM

dude 3,000,000 to 1 for mega millions vs like 50-1 isn't a slant, it's a ledge.

shelby
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
so arrogance isn't arrogance as long as it's homeristic. Got it.
Yes! You finally understand!:bf1:

Do you understand the concept of an "outlet"? When something bothers me, I can't just keep it in because if I do it eventually comes out in some completely inappropriate way. So if I'm frustrated about the Bills or Sabres (or sometimes other things) I use this message board as an outlet).

Which is why we should rename the :fit: smilie :OpIv:.
:D

i will never regret hoping nor will i ever lose hope!
It's part of being a fan of any Buffalo sports franchise.:jig:

Bufftp
05-18-2007, 11:51 AM
there is something I can do about it- I can express my disagreement. But apparently a few people here think I shouldn't be able to.You can, but it gets old and is pointless.

Go Sabres!

Bufftp
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM

Yep I believe we will make a comeback and win it. Sorry it offends you. NOT!

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 12:01 PM
dude 3,000,000 to 1 for mega millions vs like 50-1 isn't a slant, it's a ledge.
the chances of the sabres coming back are way less than 50-1.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Yep I believe we will make a comeback and win it. Sorry it offends you. NOT!

well that's completely illogical and ridiculous. Whether you like it or not, the Senators have 3 more chances to knock us off and they're playing much better than we are and only 2 teams in the history of the NHL have EVER done it. I wish it wasn't that way- I wish we were up 3-1 and could close out the series on Saturday. But what's done is done and there's nothing we can do to change it.

shelby
05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Op, you're raining on our parade.
:cynic:

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Op, you're raining on our parade.
:cynic:

well next time don't hold the parade in the middle of a thunderstorm.

THATHURMANATOR
05-18-2007, 12:11 PM
The odds of the Sabres coming back from a 3-0 hole has to be in the hundred thousands to 1.

shelby
05-18-2007, 12:13 PM
What you aren't seeing and understanding is that we don't care.
We're going to root for them anyway.
Sabres in 7. i feel lucky.:naughty:

THATHURMANATOR
05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
They will win tomorrow because I will be there.

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
The odds of the Sabres coming back from a 3-0 hole has to be in the hundred thousands to 1.

It is now a 3-1 hole Thurm!

THATHURMANATOR
05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
It is now a 3-1 hole Thurm!
I LIKE OUR ODDS!!!! :hi5:

shelby
05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
:hi5:

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM

At the game or at the party?

shelby
05-18-2007, 12:17 PM
All the Sabres have to do is focus on one game at a time, and play each game to the best of their ability. They have beaten Ottawa before, and they can do it again. Tell me that this team isn't capable of winning three games!

Meathead
05-18-2007, 12:18 PM
i dunno about hunnerd of tousends but its gotta be single digit percentages

i hope they do it but having hope has no bearing on the outcome, only on ones perception of it

some people get enjoyment out of thinking their team is destined to win the big game every time. some people get enjoyment about trying to look at the outcome objectively and predict it as accurately as they can

good thing its only entertainment cuz those two preferences are pretty much unresolveable

THATHURMANATOR
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
At the game or at the party?
Game!

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM

arrrggh.

No one said anything about not rooting for them. I was complaining about the arrogance and unrealistic expectations. Again, wanting something to happen and expecting it to happen are two totally different things.

I want to go home and find a fully loaded 2007 Acura TL Type S with a big bow that says "To: Op From: ??????" in my parking spot but I don't actually expect that it will ever happen.

I'm still rooting for the Sabres- I'm not a quitter despite what Justa says. But I'm also prepared for the reality that it ain't gonna turn out the way I want it to.

shelby
05-18-2007, 12:20 PM
i know what you're saying, Op, i just don't live my life that way.
The bra is half full damnit!

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Game!

Cool! Where are you sitting?

Remember to be all depressed and stuff when you get there!

shelby
05-18-2007, 12:21 PM
If the Sabres pull off a miracle and beat Ottawa in 7, i expect Op to sport a Sabres sig of our choosing as punishment for being so realistic.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 12:22 PM

the bra better be overflowing- half full and there's no sale, dammit!

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 12:23 PM
If the Sabres pull off a miracle and beat Ottawa in 7, i expect Op to sport a Sabres sig of our choosing as punishment for being so realistic.

fair enough, but I already have a sig bet going with justa so if I lose that will have to take precedence.

Now if only I could remember what that friggin bet was....

shelby
05-18-2007, 12:25 PM
the bra better be overflowing- half full and there's no sale, dammit!
That's why you married Dora:phew:

Seriously....i respect your point of view, and you express yourself well, but you do tend to beat us over the head with it sometimes. We hear ya the first time, and arguing with us won't change our homeristic little minds.

If the Sabres win the next three games i know you will join us in celebrating.
If the Sens beat us, i will admit that you were right, but i won't be sorry for being homeristic.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
That's why you married Dora:phew:

Seriously....i respect your point of view, and you express yourself well, but you do tend to beat us over the head with it sometimes. We hear ya the first time, and arguing with us won't change our homeristic little minds.

If the Sabres win the next three games i know you will join us in celebrating.
If the Sens beat us, i will admit that you were right, but i won't be sorry for being homeristic.

cool- I assure you I will take no glory in being right because a) all I did was predict the most likely outcome and b) it means the Sabres lost.

Meathead
05-18-2007, 12:45 PM
small is perfectly fine as long as they are the right variety

remember your food chart (http://www.extremefunnyhumor.com/pics/different%20kinds%20of%20boobs.jpg) and the rule of five fruits

EXTREMELY PRUDISH WARNING!!!
the previous link contains cartoon drawings of womens breasticles

peaches and oranges are prime pickins. lemons or pears are great as long as they are turned up. cranberries are fine too if they have a nice shape and texture. flap jacks, cups cakes and mini-cuc’s are out of season

Bufftp
05-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Must be a Barbi Doll bra then. ;)

Bufftp
05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
well that's completely illogical and ridiculous. Whether you like it or not, the Senators have 3 more chances to knock us off and they're playing much better than we are and only 2 teams in the history of the NHL have EVER done it. I wish it wasn't that way- I wish we were up 3-1 and could close out the series on Saturday. But what's done is done and there's nothing we can do to change it.
The light was a ridicouls concept.
My god Television was outragous.
Sure they will put a man on the moon. :rofl: stop that crazy talk.
No team in professional will ever come back being down 3-0, ever!

Op I agree the odds are stacked against us, don't dispute it at all, but I believe they will overcome and do it. A subtle difference Op from what you are suggesting.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
You don't come back from 3-0 with skill alone- you need some luck as well. Has everyone forgotten that luck has consistently been the ENEMY of Buffalo sports?

shelby
05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
No one has told me yet that this team can't win three games if they approach each one in the proper mindset.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 01:05 PM
No one has told me yet that this team can't win three games if they approach each one in the proper mindset.

but it isn't just mindset. There are factors that are at least partially outside their control, like how well the Senators play.

Bufftp
05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
You don't come back from 3-0 with skill alone- you need some luck as well. Has everyone forgotten that luck has consistently been the ENEMY of Buffalo sports?
You make your own luck. Play hard, Play smart the luck will come.

Philagape
05-18-2007, 01:09 PM

Now we get to the heart of the matter.

Not only is this morbid fatalism, but it's hypocrisy as well.

You bash people whenever they bring up past examples, saying "that has nothing to do with the Sabres and Senators in this series."

Well, nor do any past Buffalo failures.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Now we get to the heart of the matter.

Not only is this morbid fatalism, but it's hypocrisy as well.

You bash people whenever they bring up past examples, saying "that has nothing to do with the Sabres and Senators in this series."

Well, nor do any past Buffalo failures.

No, but if the fact that "other teams have done it!" can work in favor of the Sabres, why can't a history of bad luck work against the Sabres?

And besides, unlike the people who use the "other teams have done it" approach, I came up with a lot of valid reasons why expections of winning are unrealistic. The "luck" thing is one small piece of the argument- not the main point in the argument.

Mitchy moo
05-18-2007, 08:59 PM
No, but if the fact that "other teams have done it!" can work in favor of the Sabres, why can't a history of bad luck work against the Sabres?

And besides, unlike the people who use the "other teams have done it" approach, I came up with a lot of valid reasons why expections of winning are unrealistic. The "luck" thing is one small piece of the argument- not the main point in the argument.

You are being such a hippocrite, I found positive things about the past before and you chastise me for it and you find negative things and say look how it goes.

Bufftp
05-19-2007, 07:48 AM
It is really about temperment.
Some approach life with optism, some approach it with pessimism.

shelby
05-19-2007, 08:34 AM
THE BRA IS HALF FULL DAMNIT!

chernobylwraiths
05-19-2007, 10:06 AM
must be a small bra

:couch:

OpIv37
05-19-2007, 10:52 AM
You are being such a hippocrite, I found positive things about the past before and you chastise me for it and you find negative things and say look how it goes.

you need to learn some comprehension skills. The point I made about the past was one small part of my argument, whereas points about the past were pretty much your entire argument. And I only brought it up after people like you said things like "if this, that, and 6 million other things happen, we can win!"