PDA

View Full Version : Something noteworthy from a semi-inside conversation..

patmoran2006
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I had my usual periodical conversation with my inside source this morning (half sarcasm- don't get stupid). Most of it was the potically correct answer garbage you come to expect from a media-P.R. saavy person (We really liked Edwards and was shocked to see him there; We had Posluszny graded in the top 17 of the draft, etc) blahblahblah.

However, one thing did intrigue me as I had no clue about this.

But apparently the Bills are very VERY high on John Wendling; but as a potential cornerback, not necessarily a safety. The name Jason Seehorn was mentioned as a good comparison. And don't be shocked to see him back up both the safety and corner positions as a rookie (nickel back) and possibly be a starting corner by 2008.

Dont know why, but I found that interesting.

SquishDaFish
05-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow I like it. What Ive seen of film on this kid I like him more and more.

Mr. Miyagi
05-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Glad to hear Wendling has that kind of potential, but Jason Seahorn sucked.

casdhf
05-17-2007, 01:29 PM
He would be the biggest corner in the league, wouldnt he?

HAMMER
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear Wendling has that kind of potential, but Jason Seahorn sucked.

Seahorn had a few excellent years at CB.

Earthquake Enyart
05-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I read BB.com today too. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
we need corners so if he can play CB I would feel a little better about things this season. but we'll see.

Earthquake Enyart
05-17-2007, 01:46 PM
You have an insider source too??
Yeah.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4793

patmoran2006
05-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I know absolutely nothing about Wendling....

But if he turned out good.. that would back to back years with a good 6th round pick (Ellison)

The Answer
05-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I had my usual periodical conversation with my inside source this morning (half sarcasm- don't get stupid). Most of it was the potically correct answer garbage you come to expect from a media-P.R. saavy person (We really liked Edwards and was shocked to see him there; We had Posluszny graded in the top 17 of the draft, etc) blahblahblah.

But apparently the Bills are very VERY high on John Wendling; but as a potential cornerback, not necessarily a safety. The name Jason Seehorn was mentioned as a good comparison. And don't be shocked to see him back up both the safety and corner positions as a rookie (nickel back) and possibly be a starting corner by 2008.

Dont know why, but I found that interesting.

Neg - The old man may struck gold this year in the later rounds. Wendling is definitely a solid prospect and is somewhat of a tweaker.

But look out for Schouman - Boise State players can ball and The Answer had a chance to scout this kid a few times in person. He will most certainly be an asset to this offense in one form or another.

~The Answer

Mr. Miyagi
05-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Neg - The old man may struck gold this year in the later rounds. Wendling is definitely a solid prospect and is somewhat of a tweaker.

But look out for Schouman - Boise State players can ball and The Answer had a chance to scout this kid a few times in person. He will most certainly be an asset to this offense in one form or another.

~The Answer
I think they call them "tweeners" not "tweakers", The Answer.

The Answer
05-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I think they call them "tweeners" not "tweakers", The Answer.

The bottom line is this kid is versatile - could be a diamond in the rough or another toast mcgee.

~The Answer

bflojohn
05-17-2007, 01:56 PM
The better option to me would be to swing Donte Whitner into the CB role and groom Wendling to take over the Strong Safety spot. IMO, Whitner is the type of athlete that could pull this off. There was a murmur of this possibility last year, and it has merit.

Devin
05-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Most people have been very high on Wendling even pre-draft. And with a lack os S depth as well at CB it makes sense. There was also some talk of him playing weakside LB.

raphael120
05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey we lack depth at WR, maybe Wendling can play that too!

Pinkerton Security
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey we lack depth at WR, maybe Wendling can play that too!

Ya, we'll put that amazing jumping ability to work in the red zone!!

madness
05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
But apparently the Bills are very VERY high on John Wendling; but as a potential cornerback, not necessarily a safety. The name Jason Seehorn was mentioned as a good comparison.

Oh crap, you mean Wendling is going to be injuried through 3/4 of his career? :doh:

TigerJ
05-17-2007, 02:48 PM
As an outsider looking in, that's not what I expect out of Wendling, but if I'm wrong, more power to the Bills for seeing it. Even if he only does it part time, it's nice to have a fast and athletic big guy to line up against some of the 6'4"+ WRs that are now in vogue in the NFL

The Spaz
05-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah I have that draft guide too.:up:

mybills
05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Don't be a FBH and have your judgement clouded by lust.
You're half right cuz he IS a sexy bastard, but I've seen him make amazing plays. Like the time he collided with (crhn) and they were both on their backs, but the ball was live, and it kept bouncing up off different body parts about 6 times, and because the guy never touch him after he gained control, he got back up and ran his sweet ass off (for a TD i think).
So, suck? No.

patmoran2006
05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
You're half right cuz he IS a sexy bastard, but I've seen him make amazing plays. Like the time he collided with (crhn) and they were both on their backs, but the ball was live, and it kept bouncing up off different body parts about 6 times, and because the guy never touch him after he gained control, he got back up and ran his sweet ass off (for a TD i think).
So, suck? No.
Don't argue with him.. He thinks Adrian Peterson sucks too.

madness
05-17-2007, 03:47 PM
So, suck? No.

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2r8Ft5wWs

Mr. Miyagi
05-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Don't argue with him.. He thinks Adrian Peterson sucks too.
I do. His game won't translate well in the pros. He won't ever complete a full season without being injured.

acehole
05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
The bottom line is this kid is versatile - could be a diamond in the rough or another toast mcgee.

~The Answer

Way to go out on a limb.....

ShadowHawk7
05-17-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't see him playing CB just yet, or replacing Whitner or Simpson either, but instead playing in Dime and Nickel situations as a 3rd safety in the box, a la some of what Coy Wire did last year. In fact, Wendling could potentially spell the end for Wire here.
Either case, that will be a solid fit for him, IMO.

deepslant
05-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't see him playing CB just yet, or replacing Whitner or Simpson either, but instead playing in Dime and Nickel situations as a 3rd safety in the box, a la some of what Coy Wire did last year. In fact, Wendling could potentially spell the end for Wire here.
Either case, that will be a solid fit for him, IMO.

Daymeion Hughes has 4.55 speed too and fell into near oblivion. Wendling is not a CB as lacks speed for manup.

Tatonka
05-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow I like it. What Ive seen of film on this kid I like him more and more.

what film have you seen on him? i havent seen anything. got any links?

ublinkwescore
05-17-2007, 10:48 PM
For the record, it's Jason Sehorn - not Seahorn, not Seehorn...

And he did have a few good years at CB - made a probowl or two as well I believe.

retired kinda young though - I guess his Soloflex or Bowflex didn't help his body much against an NFL beating.

The Spaz
05-17-2007, 11:25 PM
what film have you seen on him? i havent seen anything. got any links?

On www.youtube.com they have his 66 inch vertical leap and on www.yahoo.com they have some video footage of him in game.

mybills
05-18-2007, 05:49 AM
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2r8Ft5wWs
Yes!! That was sweet! :up: The slow-mo replay was even better if you can find it! :D

streetkings01
05-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Dont know why, but I found that interesting.Is your inside source former NFL scout Russ Lande??? If you guys read the new issue of Bills Digest you will understand what I'm talking about!

Goobylal
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I heard about Wendling as a CB. That would be awesome, given his size (6'1"). I'd expect him to drop about 10# or so and play in the 210-212# range, which will only make him faster and quicker.

Oh and Sehorn was a great CB...until he blew out his knee returning a punt during a pre-season game in 1998. I wish the Bills had taken him (he was a 2nd rounder) instead of Jeff Burris that year (1994).