X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Wendling A Smart Fit For Bills

"He's a freak athletically," said Bills scout Terry Wooden. "He's a big guy that can run. He has pretty good cover skills. He's a real smart kid. I see him being a tough kid that doesn't make that many mistakes."

The reason Bills scouts Wooden and Brad Forsyth are convinced that his classroom intelligence translates to the field is due to the plethora of responsibilities his coaches gave him in their defensive scheme at Wyoming.

"They were changing things up on this guy each and every week," said Forsyth. "They were throwing so many things at him and laying it on his shoulders that they admit they were probably too hard on him."

As a result Wendling's statistics didn't take a big jump his last two seasons, which a lot of talent evaluators look for as a player matures.

"I think he can be a good safety, it's just a matter of settling down and giving him something to do week after week after week," said Forsyth. "He's got a lot of upside."

Wendling, who scored high on the wonderlic test (32), is modest when asked about his intelligence and says his grades never came without effort.

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • Chris23
    In Marv We Trust
    • May 2007

Re: Wendling A Smart Fit For Bills

Looks like Ko Simpson will be getting pushed for his starting spot around week 7 (after the bye).

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

I don't understand. This guy is quite a physical freak ... how did he last until the 6th round?
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

I think that Wendling will be a good ST player. His combo of size and speed is intriguing. I'm curious if Buffalo has any intentions of moving him to WLB.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by casdhf
          I don't understand. This guy is quite a physical freak ... how did he last until the 6th round?
          I heard he was under utilized at Wyoming.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by casdhf
            I can't say I've seen him play, but from the pre-draft guides the reason he wasn't rated higher was:

1) He played at a mid-major school

2) His straight-line speed was good, but he wasn't rated as high in change-of-direction or burst (acceleration), which is important for a DB

3) His tackling was suspect at times, as he would fail to wrap up and take bad angles.

Take that for what it is worth. NFL Draft Scout (my favorite draft site) compared him to Kerry Rhodes, who had similar measurables and was drafted in the 4th round. Rhodes has developed into a good player.

Comment

• Chris23
              In Marv We Trust
              • May 2007

Originally posted by NE39
              I can't say I've seen him play, but from the pre-draft guides the reason he wasn't rated higher was:

2) His straight-line speed was good, but he wasn't rated as high in change-of-direction or burst (acceleration), which is important for a DB

3) His tackling was suspect at times, as he would fail to wrap up and take bad angles.

Take that for what it is worth. NFL Draft Scout (my favorite draft site) compared him to Kerry Rhodes, who had very similar measurables and was drafted in the 4th round. Rhodes has developed into a good player.
              I can see him becoming a steal with a little bit of experience.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Chris23
                I can see him becoming a steal with a little bit of experience.
                Or he could be Coy Wire II.

Who knows?

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                  Defies all logic
                  • Oct 2006

Take that for what it is worth. NFL Draft Scout (my favorite draft site) compared him to Kerry Rhodes, who had similar measurables and was drafted in the 4th round. Rhodes has developed into a good player.
                  I don't think burst will be a problem for Wendling. I've seen a video of him jumping over a 5 foot high bar from a complete stand still.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Or he could be Coy Wire II.

Who knows?
                    Yes, or Eugene Wilson.

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                      Yes, or Eugene Wilson.
                      Zing!

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                        Sab and TD are insignificant
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                        I don't think burst will be a problem for Wendling. I've seen a video of him jumping over a 5 foot high bar from a complete stand still.
                        Actually, he took like two steps, but it was still very impressive.
                        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

Probably the biggest reason. That and his stats didn't improve his last 2 years, which his college coaches said was their fault, because they gave him too much to learn every week.
                          Wendling's 10-yard, 20-yard, bench press, VJ, BJ, 3-cone, and short shuttle (and I'd bet Wonderlic as well) were all significantly better than the Pats' 1st round pick Brandon Merriweather's. The only place Merriweather beat Wendling was 40-yard time, but that was different by only 0.01 seconds. And Wendling is almost 3" taller and 30# heavier. That's from NFL Draft Scout, which is also my favorite draft site.
                          That stuff can be taught. And wrapping-up is also a problem for Merriweather.
                          I'd take it.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                            Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                            • Mar 2003

He may play in Nickel or Dime situations as a 3rd Safety, but I can't see him supplanting Ko Simpson this year.
                            "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                            -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Goobylal
                              Wendling's 10-yard, 20-yard, bench press, VJ, BJ, 3-cone, and short shuttle (and I'd bet Wonderlic as well) were all significantly better than the Pats' 1st round pick Brandon Merriweather's. The only place Merriweather beat Wendling was 40-yard time, but that was different by only 0.01 seconds. And Wendling is almost 3" taller and 30# heavier. That's from NFL Draft Scout, which is also my favorite draft site.
                              I've never seen Wendling play, I was just passing along information in response to a query.

Measurables are all well and good, but ultimately it will come down to whether a guy can play football. There are a lot of guys who test well and can't play, while others don't test as well but are great players.

I don't know if Meriweather or Wendling will end up being good, they are just rookies. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X