PDA

View Full Version : Foxsports: AFC East offseason review

The Answer
05-17-2007, 09:03 PM
The Answer disagrees with this assement, especially in regards to Lynch and POZ....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6819844

Buffalo Bills

Draft Review
Let's rewind. The Bills drafted Willis McGahee with their first-round pick in 2003, right after giving Travis Henry a big extension. Without any leverage, the Bills held onto Henry for an unhappy season before dealing him to Tennessee for a third-round pick. McGahee lasted till this season, at which point he was unhappy and requested a move. The Bills traded him for two third-rounders and a seventh-rounder. Finally, the Bills used their first-rounder this year on a running back, California's Marshawn Lynch, and he might be the worst of the three. When you consider that only eight of the 20 top backs in football according to our 2006 DPAR (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php) stats were first-round selections, you'll understand why there is hesitance to approve of Buffalo's pick.

Lynch is a relatively safe bet as far as running backs go; he's an intelligent, agile runner who doesn't have to come off the field on passing downs. While he ran a 4.47 40, it's a combine time not matched by his actual speed in pads. He'll be better than Anthony Thomas, but he's not a big-play back by any means. The Bills would have been better off trading down and drafting an offensive lineman, or drafting cornerback Leon Hall to replace Nate Clements. Instead, Buffalo plugged more resources into a position they've yet to fill optimally.

Their second-round pick was a much better one. They traded one of the third-rounders from the McGahee deal to move up and draft Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny, an intelligent, instinctual linebacker who showed the ability to play in the middle toward the end of his final year at school. If his skills there are as good as reported, he will be the starter from day one, moving Angelo Crowell to the outside, where he's better suited. Or, as Crowell said on Sirius NFL Radio, "... I would kind of prefer to play on the outside just because that's what I'm used to." While Crowell will need to improve his coverage skills in 2007, he can take lessons from Keith Ellison, who will be on the other side of Posluszny and was superb in his zone coverage.

Remaining Needs Getting Lynch pushes the Bills out of any Michael Turner discussions. Defensive tackle Darwin Walker wants a new contract and is going to hold out until he gets one; if John McCargo looks good in his return from injury, the Bills might be more hesitant to actually give Walker what he wants, although it seems silly to trade Takeo Spikes for a guy who doesn't show up. Depth at cornerback and a starting wide receiver remain on the Bills' to-do list; the only receiver left on the market of any substance is former 49ers wideout Antonio Bryant, who would likely be available at a bargain-basement price. Quick, before the Patriots notice!

Undrafted Free Agents Florida wide receiver Jemalle Cornelius should really make the team over Peerless Price; Cornelius is small (5-foot-10), but he's a football player with great instincts and legitimate speed who will be a useful special teams guy somewhere. He might have a career similar to ... "

~The Answer

The Answer
05-17-2007, 09:06 PM
"Lynch is a relatively safe bet as far as running backs go; he's an intelligent, agile runner who doesn't have to come off the field on passing downs. While he ran a 4.47 40, it's a combine time not matched by his actual speed in pads. He'll be better than Anthony Thomas, but he's not a big-play back by any means. The Bills would have been better off trading down and drafting an offensive lineman, or drafting cornerback Leon Hall to replace Nate Clements. Instead, Buffalo plugged more resources into a position they've yet to fill optimally."

Is this guy for real? Didn't Lynch average close to 10 yards a pop at Cal?

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
05-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Why do you care about Lynch's college career when Poz's means nothing to you?

The Answer
05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Why do you care about Lynch's college career when Poz's means nothing to you?

Poz's college career was mired by inconsistency and injury - also Penn State players don't fare too well in the pros.

~The Answer

evol4276
05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
i casnt understand why people are saying lynch when we picked him was a bad move. maybe its just because im biased but that makes no sense to me. i feel like he was better overall than peterson before the draft and i still feel so. This article stated we shulda went down the road of getting hall, who wuld fill a needed cb spot, but still wuld be a rooking cb trying to fill a spot of a departed vet cb, whom is also being challenged by youboty, whom i know nothing about. they mentioned nothing about lb, which was a bigger need in the FIRST than cb, but they decided not to mention it since we grabbed who we wanted in the second. plus they said lynch is not a big play runner. that statement itself prett much makes me disregard what was said throughout this. you may not like him but to say he isnt a big play runner is just ignorant. you dont get a rb int he first who isnt thought to be a big play back.

Dr. Lecter
05-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Poz's college career was mired by inconsistency and injury - also Penn State players don't fare too well in the pros.

~The Answer

Like Jack Ham or Shane Conlan?

Carlton Bailey
05-17-2007, 11:23 PM
LaVar Arrington and Matt Millen weren't too bad in the pros either. Penn State's called Linebacker U for a reason.

The Spaz
05-17-2007, 11:51 PM

~The Answer

Are you tarded? Poz ended up being the all time tackles leader for Penn State. Inconsistent get real.:rolleyes:

ublinkwescore
05-18-2007, 08:27 AM
A guy can't call himself the answer and not expect to get shined on.

Maybe you should change your name to the opinion - so I can give you the title "much like buttholes" or something to that effect.

Pinkerton Security
05-18-2007, 08:38 AM
i casnt understand why people are saying lynch when we picked him was a bad move. maybe its just because im biased but that makes no sense to me. i feel like he was better overall than peterson before the draft and i still feel so. This article stated we shulda went down the road of getting hall, who wuld fill a needed cb spot, but still wuld be a rooking cb trying to fill a spot of a departed vet cb, whom is also being challenged by youboty, whom i know nothing about. they mentioned nothing about lb, which was a bigger need in the FIRST than cb, but they decided not to mention it since we grabbed who we wanted in the second. plus they said lynch is not a big play runner. that statement itself prett much makes me disregard what was said throughout this. you may not like him but to say he isnt a big play runner is just ignorant. you dont get a rb int he first who isnt thought to be a big play back.
See, if we HAD drafted Hall, then they would have crapped on our heads saying "well look at their starting running back! Anthony Thomas?! he sucks! Bills are going winless!!!"

We're the bills. I agree with some of his points, except that Lynch isnt a big play back and that it was a bad pick and that Lynch is the worst of the three...so apparenntly i dont agree. Unless we do things that they want us to do, we're gonna get ciriticized NO MATTER WHAT we do.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Lynch was the best pick under the circumstances that the Bills had when they were on the clock. AP and Patrick Willis were already gone. Wr was too early for the 12th pick. They already had plans for LB (trade in mind)- 12th pick for CB is too high in a cover two.. Ben Grubbs will be a great RG but that's too high.. Carriker was a possibility but that shot realistically was gone after resigning that bum Kelsay.

So given that, Lynch was the right pick. I still don't agree with the POZ trade but not because I think he sucks. I personally just prefer David Harris over him, forget the trades and the numbers- just my personal opinion he'll be a better pro- not to mention we lost our first third rounder as well.

BUT.. I could certainly see Levy's logic with Poz.

justasportsfan
05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
When you consider that only eight of the 20 top backs in football according to our 2006 DPAR (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php) stats were first-round selections, you'll understand why there is hesitance to approve of Buffalo's pick.

If that's the case then we're still good because we drafted Wright in the later rds?

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 09:02 AM
The obvious answer to all of this is that none of us - including the Foxsport "expert" - know how good Lynch, Poz, or any of our other draft picks are going to be. Period.

I hope, and wish, and even expect our picks to be good, and I get criticized by the naysayers for it, but I do not profess to KNOW.

Anyone who claims to know how any draft pick will turn out is a fraud and a charlatan.