PDA

View Full Version : Paul Oliver CB Georgia

Mr. Pink
05-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Just some thoughts of my own on the guy and was wondering what the rest of the boards opinion on this guy would be as a possible Supplement Draft selection by the Buffalo Bills.

A couple things about the guy. He's predicted to run a 4.4 40 for workouts, he was the corner that kept Calvin Johnson in check for an entire game. Limited Johnson to 2 catches for 13 yards. Yes the Calvin Johnson that was selected 2nd overall in the April draft. He decided instead of coming out early for this draft to stay in school for an extra season, and in the ultimate irony is now academically ineligible.

Now, he may not be a Marv guy, but we're thing on depth at corner. Oliver was projecting to be a top 18 guy in next years draft in any 2008 mocks I've seen. So I feel if we needed to spend next years 2nd or lower for this guy, it would be good value. On top of adding a guy who has skill to our thin crop of cornerbacks.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6534041

Thoughts?

Night Train
05-18-2007, 06:00 AM
Interesting.

I'd like to see where the scouts rate him first.

Night Train
05-18-2007, 06:20 AM
OK. I did a little digging. This guy sounds like a 2nd-3rd rounder.. If that 2nd link is correct, he's got great measurables at 6-0, 210 and 4.45. He'll be selected high, without question. The job he did on Calvin Johnson sure helped.

Read a Scout.com report on him, coming out of high school. Recruited by everyone after running a 4.32 as a senior.

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12/15/trio-of-georgia-juniors-leaning-toward-the-nfl/

http://condraft.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=5988

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/college.aspx?articleid=7866

Pinkerton Security
05-18-2007, 06:29 AM
OK. I did a little digging. This guy sounds like a 2nd-3rd rounder.. If that 2nd link is correct, he's got great measurables at 6-0, 210 and 4.45. He'll be selected high, without question. The job he did on Calvin Johnson sure helped.

Read a Scout.com report on him, coming out of high school. Recruited by everyone after running a 4.32 as a senior.

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12/15/trio-of-georgia-juniors-leaning-toward-the-nfl/

http://condraft.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=5988

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/college.aspx?articleid=7866

:up: pick em up! honestly though, he sounds like a decent find.

alohabillsfan
05-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Ha, I heard about it on the radio down here in JAX this morning. I was just researching him and was getting ready to post when low and behold it was already there! I think if he gets approved for the supplemental draft and is avail. in the 3rd I sure would like to have him! IMO he may go in the 2nd your thoughts?

Canadian'eh!
05-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Supplemental draft guys always go lower than you think.

Ahmad Brooks is going to be very good, and had he not entered the SD and ran into those problems, he would have been 1st round talent this year. But the Bengals got him with a 5th....

I don't know much about Oliver, but I would eneter a 4th bid if he's really worth a 1st or 2nd and roll the dice.

Pinkerton Security
05-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Check it out!! Just searching around ESPN and found this write-up by McShay about next years draft:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2860503

Oliver is rated as the 6th best prospect overall, granted before the season has been played, even though he cant.

6. Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia
Oliver is one of the most underrated prospects in the 2008 class right now. This 6-foot, 205-pound cornerback impressed me with his improved coverage skills during the second half of the 2006 season, including a tremendous effort versus former Georgia Tech star WR Calvin Johnson (Lions, No. 2 overall). Don't be surprised if Oliver emerges as a top-10 pick a year from now.

wow. If we could get this guy somehow in the supplemental draft it'd be a great deal, although I'm a little shady on exactly how the supplemental draft goes down. Anyone like to enlighten me?

Pinkerton Security
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
As a side-note, they mention that Limas Sweed from Texas is a big-time recruit, I want somebody like him, with size (hes 6'5"). Just thought i'd throw it in there.

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Anyone like to enlighten me?
Basically teams "bid" for players.

A team can enter this bid for any players in the draft. The team with the highest bid wins. Bids are a single draft pick. So if the Bills bid a 3rd round pick on a player and the Raiders a 4th round pick, the Bills get him but lose next years 3rd round pick. If the Bills and Raiders both bod a 3rd round pick, he goes to Oakland since the Raiders currently have a higher 3rd round pick.

Pinkerton Security
05-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Basically teams "bid" for players.

A team can enter this bid for any players in the draft. The team with the highest bid wins. Bids are a single draft pick. So if the Bills bid a 3rd round pick on a player and the Raiders a 4th round pick, the Bills get him but lose next years 3rd round pick. If the Bills and Raiders both bod a 3rd round pick, he goes to Oakland since the Raiders currently have a higher 3rd round pick.
Have there ever been players that received bids of 2nd or even 1st rounders? Itd be tough to give up that much for a guy who didnt even do well enough in the classroom to continue his college football career, but maybe(?) hes worth a 2nd or 3rd if hes projected that high?

Ickybaluky
05-18-2007, 08:04 AM
See this link (http://football.about.com/od/miscinformation/a/supplementdraft.htm):

The league uses a weighted three-step, semi-lottery system to determine the order of the supplemental draft as follows:

* Teams with six wins or less participate in the first lottery for the top picks. The team that posted the worst record among that group is given a weighted advantage over the following team, with each team's "weight" being decreased on down the line until reaching the team with the best record in the group.

* The second group consists of non-playoff teams and follows the same weighted system.

* The third group consists of last season's 12 playoff teams and, again, follows the same lottery system.

After the order is determined, each team submits to the league the name of the player(s) they are interested in, as well as the round they would like to choose them in. The team that submits the highest bid is awarded rights to the player. If more than one team bids a pick from the same round, the team with the highest pick in the round wins out.

If a team uses a pick in the Supplemental Draft, they must forfeit their choice in the corresponding round of the next years NFL Draft.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 08:07 AM
I dont know much about this guy.. But I would certainly, according to these reports on him; submit a third rounder next year, especially since we have a pair of them.

mikemac2001
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
I dont know much about this guy.. But I would certainly, according to these reports on him; submit a third rounder next year, especially since we have a pair of them.

Good Point

Ickybaluky
05-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Have there ever been players that received bids of 2nd or even 1st rounders? Itd be tough to give up that much for a guy who didnt even do well enough in the classroom to continue his college football career, but maybe(?) hes worth a 2nd or 3rd if hes projected that high?

Houston picked RB Tony Hollings in the 2nd round a couple years ago (after being ruled academically ineligible).

QB Bernie Kosar was a 1st round supplemental pick for Cleveland (he graduated early).

LB Brian Bosworth was 1st round supplemental pick after being kicked off Oklahoma for steroids.

QB Steve Walsh was chosen with a first round supplemental pick by Jimmy Johnson in Dallas (who had coached him at Miami), despite having taken Troy Aikman that same year.

EDS
05-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Houston picked RB Tony Hollings in the 2nd round a couple years ago (after being ruled academically ineligible).

QB Bernie Kosar was a 1st round supplemental pick for Cleveland (he graduated early).

LB Brian Bosworth was 1st round supplemental pick after being kicked off Oklahoma for steroids.

QB Steve Walsh was chosen with a first round supplemental pick by Jimmy Johnson in Dallas (who had coached him at Miami), despite having taken Troy Aikman that same year.

Was former Viking receiver Chris Carter a supplemental pick out of Ohio State?

bigbub2352
05-18-2007, 09:40 AM
i think most guys in the NFL would be academically ineligable if they had to take real classes, or even go to them, see how long he last in the supplimental i wouldnt mind giving up the extra 7th we got for Kelly Holocomb to give this guy a shot

justasportsfan
05-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Manny Wright was a supplemental pick by the fins.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
When is the Supplemental DRaft this year?

DraftBoy
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Living in Georgia I can tell you Paul Oliver is the real deal at corner. He finally came on last year, after being highly heralded his first two seasons to dissapoint. He help Calvin in check but more importantly he was consistent all season. Id enter a 3rd for Oliver, I would say he'll like be anywhere from the 2nd to 4th best CB in next years class. The #1 guy without question will be Cason out of Arizona State.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Living in Georgia I can tell you Paul Oliver is the real deal at corner. He finally came on last year, after being highly heralded his first two seasons to dissapoint. He help Calvin in check but more importantly he was consistent all season. Id enter a 3rd for Oliver, I would say he'll like be anywhere from the 2nd to 4th best CB in next years class. The #1 guy without question will be Cason out of Arizona State.
If he's the 2nd to 4th best CB in next year's class.. Then i'd say he's worth a second round bid this year.

Why not anyway? We're already ridiculous young to begin with this year. If he's that talented, why not bring in another young guy to get the growing pains over with this year.

Mad Bomber
05-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Summer. Last year it was in July.

Ickybaluky
05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Was former Viking receiver Chris Carter a supplemental pick out of Ohio State?

Yes, 4th round to the Eagles.

mysticsoto
05-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Who else needs a CB that could conceivably compete with us for him in the supplemental draft? Someone needs to alert Marv...send him an email or something...

Ickybaluky
05-18-2007, 10:26 AM

I haven't seen a scheduled date yet. Last year it was on July 13th.

PIZ
05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Jamal Williams DT for the San Diego Chargers was taken in the 2nd round of the supplemental draft, and it worked well for them.

Lexwhat
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
what about the rules for signing him as a free-agent...is that allowed?

Ickybaluky
05-18-2007, 12:13 PM
what about the rules for signing him as a free-agent...is that allowed?

If he goes though the supplemental process without being drafted, then he is available as an undrafted FA, just like players not drafted in the regular draft. Any team can then sign him and bring him to camp.

However, he must go through the supplemental draft first. Early projections have him as a 2nd-3rd round pick.

DraftBoy
05-18-2007, 12:23 PM
If he's the 2nd to 4th best CB in next year's class.. Then i'd say he's worth a second round bid this year.

Why not anyway? We're already ridiculous young to begin with this year. If he's that talented, why not bring in another young guy to get the growing pains over with this year.

I wouldnt bid any higher than a 3rd, more likely a 4th. He's only the 2nd best if he really produces well and thats only among seniors, not including underclassmen who may leave early.

Mr. Pink
05-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Draftboy....

If Oliver had declared early for the draft this year, where do you think he would have been drafted?

DraftBoy
05-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Draftboy....

If Oliver had declared early for the draft this year, where do you think he would have been drafted?

3rd Round around Hughes

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 03:04 PM
id bid a third... if nothing else because he has talent and we're already so young anyway- you may as well break as many young/future starters in this year as humanly possible.

Earthquake Enyart
05-18-2007, 03:05 PM
He has a first round grade................

ParanoidAndroid
05-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Becoming academically ineligible doesn't exactly do wonders for your draft value. Supplemental 4th round....no more. Be careful about giving up a day one pick out of desperation to fill a need.

Ickybaluky
05-24-2007, 01:03 PM

It has been set for July 27th.

Tatonka
05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I wouldnt bid any higher than a 3rd, more likely a 4th. He's only the 2nd best if he really produces well and thats only among seniors, not including underclassmen who may leave early.

yeah, but, and assuming that the bills have him graded out as a top 3 corner in next years draft, how can you not justify spending a 2nd round pick on a guy that is sure to be a 1st rounder if he was in the normal draft next year?

bflojohn
05-24-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm a little skeptical of the date... July 27th is awfully close to the start of training camp for MOST teams, and if the Bills, for instance, were to land Oliver, the rookie pool would have to increase, and the ability to sign said player by the opening of camp is problematic, at best! NE39, I am NOT doubting your call of the date, I just think it's a tough way to bring talent on-board, for ANY team!!

DraftBoy
05-24-2007, 03:00 PM
yeah, but, and assuming that the bills have him graded out as a top 3 corner in next years draft, how can you not justify spending a 2nd round pick on a guy that is sure to be a 1st rounder if he was in the normal draft next year?

Impossible to grade him out as a top 3 corner without seeing what juniors leave early. I got him as #3 right now behind Cason and Phillips. Id only bid a 3rd on him at this point to be honest, especially having only one good year to work off of, and since he was disqualified academically he character is of question.

Also there is no guarantee of him being a 1st rounder right now, he's a top 20 player, but his consistency is still a big issue imo.

Al13
05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Supplemental draft guys always go lower than you think.

Ahmad Brooks is going to be very good, and had he not entered the SD and ran into those problems, he would have been 1st round talent this year. But the Bengals got him with a 5th....

I don't know much about Oliver, but I would eneter a 4th bid if he's really worth a 1st or 2nd and roll the dice.

Brooks went in the 3rd round

Al13
05-24-2007, 04:48 PM

because apparently he is as dumb as a rock and i donīt think you get away with it as a CB, DT maybe but CB i dunno

DraftBoy
05-24-2007, 05:37 PM
because apparently he is as dumb as a rock and i donīt think you get away with it as a CB, DT maybe but CB i dunno

Well lets not label the kid dumb, there are many attributes that could of led to this;
Learning Disorder
Laziness
Depression
Test Anxiety
among other things....

or he could just be that dumb. But he never showed any signs of being academically challenged.

Tatonka
05-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Impossible to grade him out as a top 3 corner without seeing what juniors leave early. I got him as #3 right now behind Cason and Phillips. Id only bid a 3rd on him at this point to be honest, especially having only one good year to work off of, and since he was disqualified academically he character is of question.

Also there is no guarantee of him being a 1st rounder right now, he's a top 20 player, but his consistency is still a big issue imo.
fair enough.. and i am not going to pretend that i know much about him. i remember his game against calvin, but i dont know that i saw much else of him.

still, he is an interesting option.

Tatonka
05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
well.. pacman jones is a pretty good cornerback.. and clearly has no ****ing brains whatsoever.. so clearly you dont need to be smart to play cornerback necessarily.