• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

All Young Players = No Decline in Play?

You can argue that the Bills are in a good situation to see their whole team improve as a whole, as we have so much young talent, it's not like we have to worry about old vets declining with age.

That said though, I think we will see a lot more inconsistancy as a product of lack of veteran leadership that have the awareness to make plays. You talk about a great upside, I think our offense is an example of that. If our O-line gels and is better than last season (we threw enough money at that position), and if Lynch proves to be better than McGay-wee! (damn well should be), and JP builds on last seasons growth (keeps his bed head out of his eyes), I think it will be a role reversal in that our offense will have to bail out our defense, unlike last year where we relied on our D to make big plays and spoon feed our offense good field position.

But I think with a high power offense, we can do as the Saints did, get a damn good record out of it, but not be good enough to make a deep impact into the playoffs. I think it will be worth it if our offense is exciting and productive and keyword...CONSISTANT (unlike past seasons) and deal with the lumps we will probably have on defense. THe places that should struggle is in the LB and CB cores, if you're telling me our D-line is not set with the veteran depth and just people like Kyle Williams who made strides last season, and a supposed first round talent like McCargo, and 2 so called vets in Triplett and Walker... We have Schobel still, and he's really producing in this defense, and you got "money bags" Kelsay who needs to prove to ALOT of people that Marv isn't an idiot for throwing so much money at him. It's arguably our deepest position on the team (D-line).

What does everyone else think will be the big weak spot of the team this year?
    Last edited by raphael120; 05-18-2007, 12:54 PM.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: All Young Players = No Decline in Play?

Originally posted by raphael120
    You can argue that the Bills are in a good situation to see their whole team improve as a whole, as we have so much young talent, it's not like we have to worry about old vets declining with age.

That said though, I think we will see a lot more inconsistancy as a product of lack of veteran leadership that have the awareness to make plays. You talk about a great upside, I think our offense is an example of that. If our O-line gels and is better than last season (we threw enough money at that position), and if Lynch proves to be better than McGay-wee! (damn well should be), and JP builds on last seasons growth (keeps his bed head out of his eyes), I think it will be a role reversal in that our offense will have to bail out our defense, unlike last year where we relied on our D to make big plays and spoon feed our offense good field position.

But I think with a high power offense, we can do as the Saints did, get a damn good record out of it, but not be good enough to make a deep impact into the playoffs. I think it will be worth it if our offense is exciting and productive and keyword...CONSISTANT (unlike past seasons) and deal with the lumps we will probably have on defense. If anything, the only place that should struggle is in the LB core, if you're telling me our D-line is not set with the veteran depth and just people like Kyle Williams who made strides last season, and a supposed first round talent like McCargo, and 2 so called vets in Triplett and Walker... We have Schobel still, and he's really producing in this defense, and you got "money bags" Kelsay who needs to prove to ALOT of people that Marv isn't an idiot for throwing so much money at him. It's arguably our deepest position on the team (D-line).

CB, no doubt our zone will help with this but I bet we see some bone-headed plays by our cb's. I just hope that Youboty shows us flashes at the very least, to show us he has the capability to be a starter.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

But I think with a high power offense, we can do as the Saints did, get a damn good record out of it, but not be good enough to make a deep impact into the playoffs. I think it will be worth it if our offense is exciting and productive and keyword...CONSISTANT (unlike past seasons) and deal with the lumps we will probably have on defense. THe places that should struggle is in the LB and CB cores, if you're telling me our D-line is not set with the veteran depth and just people like Kyle Williams who made strides last season, and a supposed first round talent like McCargo, and 2 so called vets in Triplett and Walker... We have Schobel still, and he's really producing in this defense, and you got "money bags" Kelsay who needs to prove to ALOT of people that Marv isn't an idiot for throwing so much money at him. It's arguably our deepest position on the team (D-line).

I agree with your theory and most of your points. And I also agree about your Saints theory.. Although our offense shouldn't even be compared to the Saints.

But I do agree with your POINT.. This is EXACTLY why I wanted Buffalo to use their first TWO picks on offense and I stated that several times.

With or without POZ this defense is going to be a weaker than a Puma sneaker this year. Any semi-realistic fan already knows this.

I loved the pick of Lynch, epecially once AP was gone. But if had my way our second pick wouldn't have been a LB, CB or anybody on that side. My pick would've been Sidney Rice or Dwayne Jarrett (I would prefer Rice)

With one of them, we then had a Legit #2 and the makings of a ridiculously scary offense. We get the best we can from our defense in 2007, and then spend the money in FA after the season and draft defense next April, and really tighten that unit up for 2008.

By then, we'd have an offense that features an improved (I'm assuming) OL, with young-gun weapons like Losman, Lynch, Evans and Rice. That woulda been formidable for ANY defense to deal with.

But it's a done deal so oh well. Our offense is "closer" to being explosive with Lynch; but until we have a real threat outside of EVans it doesnt matter.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• cocamide
        • Oct 2006

The one thing the really scares me, and most likely everyone else, is our CB situation. The Pats and to a lesser extent the Fins improved their receiving corp, and I've never felt comfortable with McGee at corner. I just hope we can get a lot of pressure on the QB to balance out the loss of Clements and that Youboty really steps up.

We all know that we don't have a solid #2 receiver right now, but maybe the poor numbers from last year had to do with Losman not having enough time to look to his second and third receiver before he was nailed. I doubt Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokely and Dallas Clark would have great numbers if Manning had to release the ball in less than 2 seconds each play. I'm not saying that Losman could play like Manning if he had 10 seconds each play, I'm just saying that the system can sometimes make stars out of people who would be no more an average in another one.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

No doubt, we are most unsettled at CB and LB. Youboty, Ellison and Poz will really need to play well, and I would like to see McGee have a comeback season.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

We did lose some leadership but we added a veteran presence in a couple key areas as well. Look for Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker to have a strong presence on the offensive side of the football. Plus, Marshawn Lynch has the opportunity to bring dynamics and intensity that Bills fans haven't seen since the days of TT. Lee Evans and JP shouldn't be counted out either. Those two players alone carried our offense last season. Shoot, come to think of it I feel like we have plenty of young leaders on this team. It's not like you have to be an old fart to be a good leader.

On the defensive side of the football we lost Spikes, Fletch and Clements but I think that those two losses will be offset with the addition of Posluszny and with the emergence of Angelo Crowell as a young promising rising superstar. Clements imo will be the toughest veteran to replace. I hope that the Bills coaching staff relieve McGee of his KR duties so he can focus more on defense and CB duties.

Comment

• raphael120
              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
              I hope that the Bills coaching staff relieve McGee of his KR duties so he can focus more on defense and CB duties.

I agree, that kick returning RB we got from Seattle (name escapes me right now) should be doing the punt returns and keep wee lil Roscoe on punt returns...just remind him he needs to run -forward-...not back.

Comment

Working...
              X