PDA

View Full Version : Stafford likely for Game 5

Philagape
05-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Stafford likely to be in Sabres lineup Saturday
By John Vogl - News Sports Reporter

Drew Stafford has had a few shining moments in the 2007 playoffs. It looks like he will get the chance to add more.

Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff said today he was leaning toward using Stafford for Game Five of the Eastern Conference finals when the Sabres again try to avoid elimination against Ottawa. Dainius Zubrus was not part of the Sabres' practice this morning, and it's almost certain his lower-body injury will keep him out at 2 p.m. Saturday in HSBC Arena.

Stafford has been scratched since Paul Gaustad returned from his lacerated ankle tendon in Game Five of the second round. Stafford has two goals and two assists in nine games, and he set up the game-winning goal in Game Two against the New York Rangers. He said his motivation and excitement have never lessened.
The absence of Zubrus will force the Sabres to change the center for wingers Thomas Vanek and Maxim Afinogenov. Gaustad said today he's capable of doing the job, and it appears he'll get the chance. Stafford will likely start with center Adam Mair and left wing Ales Kotalik.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/78796.html

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 02:15 PM
I'd rather have Zubrus but if he's injured Stafford is the next best option.

I wonder if Kalinin will play.

Earthquake Enyart
05-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Thurm will be disappointed. He's a big Paille guy.

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I would use Paille.

1. He is a penalty killer and the Sabres are losing one with Zubrus out.
2. He is a center and the Sabres are losing one with Zubrus out.
3. He is more physical than Stafford and Zubrus' physical play will be missed.

Earthquake Enyart
05-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Stafford might get a goal though.

Michael82
05-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I would use Paille.

1. He is a penalty killer and the Sabres are losing one with Zubrus out.
2. He is a center and the Sabres are losing one with Zubrus out.
3. He is more physical than Stafford and Zubrus' physical play will be missed.
Paille looked like **** when he filled in for Max in the game Max was benched. :ill:

I think Stafford makes perfect sense because of how he's done against Ottawa this year. :up:

Dr. Lecter
05-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Paille looked like **** when he filled in for Max in the game Max was benched. :ill:

I think Stafford makes perfect sense because of how he's done against Ottawa this year. :up:

Stafford looked like **** the last game he played too.

Michael82
05-18-2007, 04:39 PM
true. Either way, it sucks that Zubrus won't play. :(

Typ0
05-18-2007, 05:31 PM

and when he first came up he was a monster...he's been resting.

shelby
05-18-2007, 05:42 PM
i hope Stafford kicks some ass!

RedEyE
05-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Stafford has a pretty good record against Emery this year. That gives him the step up over Paille, IMO.

JD
05-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Stafford is going to get a goal tommorow I promise.

YardRat
05-18-2007, 06:31 PM
If he's playing with Mair and Kotalik he may not see the ice too much.

Typ0
05-18-2007, 08:38 PM
If he's playing with Mair and Kotalik he may not see the ice too much.

why do you say that?

RedEyE
05-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Stafford vs Ottawa this season:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=silver><TD colSpan=2>Season/Career</TD><TD align=middle>GP</TD><TD align=middle>G</TD><TD align=middle>A</TD><TD align=middle>P</TD><TD align=middle>+/-</TD><TD align=middle>PIM</TD><TD align=middle>PP</TD><TD align=middle>SH</TD><TD align=middle>GW</TD><TD align=middle>GT</TD><TD align=middle>Shots</TD><TD align=middle>SH %</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=2><NOBR>2006-2007 vs. OTT</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>-1</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>0.0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

How that compares to Zubrus:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=silver><TD colSpan=2>Season/Career</TD><TD align=middle>GP</TD><TD align=middle>G</TD><TD align=middle>A</TD><TD align=middle>P</TD><TD align=middle>+/-</TD><TD align=middle>PIM</TD><TD align=middle>PP</TD><TD align=middle>SH</TD><TD align=middle>GW</TD><TD align=middle>GT</TD><TD align=middle>Shots</TD><TD align=middle>SH %</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=2><NOBR>2006-2007 vs. OTT</NOBR></TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>0.0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>