PDA

View Full Version : Was it worth it to trade Willis McGahee?

henrybacker
05-18-2007, 03:24 PM
thoughts?

They created the unnecessary hole at the RB position by trading Willis(whom I am not a fan of).

Seems like this team will be hard pressed to compete next season as they are replacing Willis, Fletcher, Spikes and Clements so far with lynch, PSU LB, and that QB pick. (they also basically will be adding youboty and McCargo whom didn't play last season and the upgraded O-Line.

How is this year's team expected to exceed last year's mediocre team?

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I"ll only comment about McGahee.

It was worth it.. They got what I think is an instant upgrade for this offense with Lynch.. It also gave them the ammo to trade up and get POZ (with that extra third this year)- although IMO they then blew it by taking a QB in round three. But still.

On top of that, they got an extra third next year (maybe we can draft a punter to have more "depth" with that pick next year)

But I do like Lynch better than McGahee. WIllis is one of the NFL's most 5 overated players, period.

LtBillsFan66
05-18-2007, 03:27 PM
He didn't want to play here.

Plus we have Lynch now. So no hole per se.

justasportsfan
05-18-2007, 03:29 PM
it's always good to trade a player who doesn't want to be here and keep the ones that want to. Your heart has to be in everything you do. Even if guys like Spikes, Clements and even Willis move on to be HOF players for the rest of their careers they can't help the bills by forcing them to stay .

PECKERWOOD
05-18-2007, 03:33 PM
2 3rd round picks and a 7th round pick for a solid RB. I say that we got the better deal, especially when you take into consideration how much money that Willis McGahee wanted to stay here.

Carlton Bailey
05-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Welcome to the board, Chris Mortenson...err, henrybacker.

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Willis had all the physical talent but lacked the effort and physical maturity to use it. We don't need that kind of trash here.

I have a feeling he'll do well in Baltimore but it doesn't matter because he would never do well in Buffalo. He didn't want to be here and couldn't get over it.

So we're better off without him. We've got Lynch to be our flashy rookie and A-Train as a vet who runs downhill.

casdhf
05-18-2007, 03:38 PM
His knee injury ruined his explosiveness, too. Lynch should break a long run or two this season.

The Answer
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
thoughts?

They created the unnecessary hole at the RB position by trading Willis(whom I am not a fan of).

Seems like this team will be hard pressed to compete next season as they are replacing Willis, Fletcher, Spikes and Clements so far with lynch, PSU LB, and that QB pick. (they also basically will be adding youboty and McCargo whom didn't play last season and the upgraded O-Line.

McGahee was a cancer and an average dime of dozen RB - he couldn't catch the ball or block either. Good Riddance to him.

The Answer does agree though that this team is going to face an uphill battle in 2007, especially with all the youth that has been infused into roster, but at the sacrifice of key veteran leaders on defense.

~The Answer

OpIv37
05-18-2007, 03:40 PM
His knee injury ruined his explosiveness, too. Lynch should break a long run or two this season.

what's a long run? Like 14 yards or something? Seriously, it's been so long since I'v seen one that I cant remember.

casdhf
05-18-2007, 03:42 PM
He had one long one vs the Jets, but I think he ended up getting caught from behind. It was a career long of like 57 yards.

SquishDaFish
05-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Was it worth making two threads for this dumb topic?

PECKERWOOD
05-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I remember in his 2nd season when he started to emerge.. I thought that the run he had against the Rams was a good omen for things to come. Quite honestly, the run against St.Louis and the run against the Jets were the only 2 that I can remember.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-18-2007, 03:46 PM
This team removed one of the most overrated players in the league for a pretty good price. This was a no brainer move. No doubt in my mind that Lynch can gain 990 yards and 6 TD's this year. Willis did nothing but run his mouth and not back it up. He is your typical its everyone elses fault that I suck not my own type of guy. He blamed everyone else but himself for his lack of burst through the hole, or his awful pass blocking ability. The pass catching ill give him because Losman overthrew him a lot. Lynch is already a better reciever and blocker than Willis and Lynch will not be any worse than what we had with McOverrated.

ParanoidAndroid
05-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant
Redundant

SquishDaFish
05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh-Oh the other person who posts dumb topics groaned me. Thanx Mrs. Answer

DynaPaul
05-18-2007, 04:40 PM
It was nice to get rid of McGahee and I think we got a nice deal on the picks. But we won't really know until we see how the picks taken from the trade pan out.

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 04:47 PM
For starters, a much better running game with the removal of that melanoma named McGahee.

feelthepain
05-18-2007, 04:53 PM
He had one long one vs the Jets, but I think he ended up getting caught from behind. It was a career long of like 57 yards.

Didn't he also have a long run against the Pats??

gr8slayer
05-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Hell freaking yes it was worth it to trade McGahee. Give me Lynch.

Jan Reimers
05-18-2007, 04:57 PM
No, but I think he got the runs in the second half.

gr8slayer
05-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Didn't he also have a long run against the Pats??Not that I remember. I guess it also depends on what you consider a long run.

Goobylal
05-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Willis' longest run in either Pats game last year was 15 yards. And taking-away his favorite whipping-team, the Jets, Willis averaged a shade under 3.3 YPC. I'm assuming he saved his best games for Jonathan Vilma, a fellow UM'er, trash-talker, and overrated player.

But to answer the question, McGahee himself was a hole. He was a lousy receiver, horrible blocker, and he was overrated as a RB, as the stats above show. Sure blame the O-line for some of the running issues, but he wasn't a game-changer and could be counted-on to produce at least a handful of mistakes during a game that went unnoticed to the average fan. And he truly didn't want to be in Buffalo. I sensed that from the beginning and hoped that he'd eventually mature and become the RB he once was, but it never happened. In that respect, the Bills HAD to let him go. And considering the market for player trades outside of QB's, getting what they got was great.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I will tell ya this much.

what I WISH they had done was taken Scrub Kelsay free agent money; gave it to Travis Henry; who would be a MONSTER behind the left side of our OL.. And then used the 12th pick on Carriker.

Carlton Bailey
05-18-2007, 07:01 PM

It was actually a reception. I think he caught a screen and went 60 yards or so in a 28-6 loss.

patmoran2006
05-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Nah.. he had a 57 yard run vs NYJ

Goobylal
05-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I got a hearty laugh from that one, concreteboy. Thanks.

Night Train
05-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Our RB situation looks far better, after this draft. Ridding ourselves of #21 was the smartest thing we did all off-season. Lynch and Wright will make the coaches FAR happier.

Night Train
05-18-2007, 07:41 PM
No, but I think he got the runs in the second half.

LOL !

Goobylal
05-18-2007, 08:48 PM
I predict a shade over 1,000 yards, missing a couple games, and a sub-4.0 YPC. Their QB and WR's are lousy and their O-line is sinking fast, especially if Ogden retires.

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Our RB situation looks far better, after this draft. Ridding ourselves of #21 was the smartest thing we did all off-season. Lynch and Wright will make the coaches FAR happier.

I get that, but with so many other needs on the team, I just didn't get creating another hole by trading away mcgahee. If you believe the upgraded offensive line is going to make this team better, wouldn't it have helped mcgahee as well? I would have let him play out his contract and then acquire/draft a rb next year while using the 1 and 4th pick(or at least the 1st pick and take the rb selected in 4) on other needs.
When they spent so much money beefing up the O-line, I thought they were going to go the Denver approach and go with mediocre backs behind a good line so I was shocked when they took 2 rb on day 1(and still have thomas).

HHURRICANE
05-19-2007, 09:24 AM
thoughts?

I was very vocal about trading Willis. I still think letting him run out his contract was the way to go.

However, we still would have been drafting at #12 and if Lynch wasn't the pick who were we taking instead. Poz?

So in the end it was really like trading Willis for Lynch and getting 3 picks out of it.

That doesn't look to bad even though it was somewhat lucky.

patmoran2006
05-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Even if Willis breaks Dickerson's record next year; he still had to be traded.

He didnt want to be here. His contract and attitude would've become a problem.

I think we got good value for him. Its one of the few offseason moves I actually do like. If we dont get that extra third, we dont get to move up for the LB that Levy wanted

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 09:33 AM
2 3rd round picks and a 7th round pick for a solid RB. I say that we got the better deal, especially when you take into consideration how much money that Willis McGahee wanted to stay here.

Well, the picks should be late picks as Balt should at least contend for a playoff spot. A 7th round pick might/might not make the roster. McGahee will get paid well, but so will Lynch.

I wouldn't say we got Lynch as part of the mcgahee trade as we already had the pick spent on lynch, we didn't acquire that from balt.

In regards to the "redundant" thread, this was my first day on the site, sorry if it offended anyone. I'm still feeling out this "thanks", "groan" and rep, or power to give thing.

Pinkerton Security
05-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Oh-Oh the other person who posts dumb topics groaned me. Thanx Mrs. Answer

I know right. Every time I see he groaned at someone I simply thank them even if their post was 2 words. this guy is rediculous.

Pinkerton Security
05-19-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm telling you right now, Mcgahee is going to be a new player in baltimore and most bills fans aren't going to like it.

I predict 1600 yards, 20 TDs from him in that run focused offense.

I would bet every dollar I have that he doesnt even sniff 15 TD's. My prediction would be about 1100 and 7 TD's.

I'll put every zonebuck i have against every zonebuck you have that he doesnt achieve either goal you set. If gets EITHER mark, i lose. whaddaya say?

Goobylal
05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Well, the picks should be late picks as Balt should at least contend for a playoff spot. A 7th round pick might/might not make the roster. McGahee will get paid well, but so will Lynch.
Baltimore will be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year. Losing Adalius Thomas is a big blow, McNair is a shell of his former self, their WR's suck, and their O-line is rapidly declining. Plus their division figures to be killer again.

And Lynch will get money, but nowhere near what McGahee got. And with the average lifespan of RB's being 5 years, and that's RB's who don't start-off their NFL careers with a major injury, McGahee doesn't figure to have long before he's toast.

HHURRICANE
05-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I think Willis picks up where he left off. Mediocre.

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Baltimore will be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year.

c'mon

HHURRICANE
05-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Even if Willis breaks Dickerson's record next year; he still had to be traded.

He didnt want to be here. His contract and attitude would've become a problem.

I think we got good value for him. Its one of the few offseason moves I actually do like. If we dont get that extra third, we dont get to move up for the LB that Levy wanted

And they call us negative.

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 10:43 AM
but last i heard the guy they got in the spikes trade does not want to show up to camp for the bills. Is he the next to go?

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I know right. Every time I see he groaned at someone I simply thank them even if their post was 2 words. this guy is rediculous.

-hurtful words from a bunch that left feedbacks of:

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">go away</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%">[/URL]</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%"> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974450#post1974450)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">****ing troll</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974449 width="50%"></TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">Your a dumb mother****ing homo</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%"> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974449#post1974449)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">:stfu:</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%">[URL="http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974450#post1974450"]</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">troll</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

All simply by suggesting we might have been more advantageous in filling our immediate and longterm needs by allowing McGahee to play out the season. You guys sure know how to make someone feel welcome.

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 12:30 PM

-hurtful words from a bunch that left feedbacks of:

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">go away</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%">[/URL]</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%"> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974450#post1974450)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">****ing troll</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974449 width="50%"></TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">Your a dumb mother****ing homo</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%"> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974449#post1974449)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">:stfu:</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%">[URL="http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974450#post1974450"]</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%">troll</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

All simply by suggesting we might have been more advantageous in filling our immediate and longterm needs by allowing McGahee to play out the season. You guys sure know how to make someone feel welcome.

nothing personal but the way to format your post is what annoys me most about you....havent had problem with your point i see what you mean about mcgahee but dude ran for 900 yds and has no heart bashed our city and is not a good person at all....Thats why i dont want him as a buffalo bills RB

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 12:36 PM
ah, post format, i guess that calls for homophobic slurs and f bombs.

(I'm not even sure what my post format is)

I also don't want him as our longterm running back, but for one more season behind a better line and on a contract year, I take him.

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 12:47 PM
ah, post format, i guess that calls for homophobic slurs and f bombs.

(I'm not even sure what my post format is)

I also don't want him as our longterm running back, but for one more season behind a better line and on a contract year, I take him.

No how when u reply to something and not bring the whole quote or even bring who said it. just a pain to read what you write not a clean format...idc if u f bomb me or someone

Goobylal
05-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Baltimore will be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year.

c'mon
Wait and see. I gave my reasons.

evol4276
05-19-2007, 11:18 PM
was it worth trading a mediocre mcgahee for a 3rd rounder which allowed us to move up and get a lb that we needed, let alone to replace with not 1 but 2 rbs that have a good chance to do better than he? welp, my realization of it is yes. it was worth it.

feldspar
05-20-2007, 03:01 AM
go ahead and groan me, too while you're at it, henrybacker.

I'm feeling a little left out.

Mad Bomber
05-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Not that I remember. I guess it also depends on what you consider a long run.
Last year that would be anything over 3 yards.

henrybacker
05-20-2007, 10:37 AM
was it worth trading a mediocre mcgahee for a 3rd rounder which allowed us to move up and get a lb that we needed, let alone to replace with not 1 but 2 rbs that have a good chance to do better than he? welp, my realization of it is yes. it was worth it.

Maybe they should have just given their 1st round pick for Briggs. The thing is the bills had tons of needs after last season and then they made another hole to fill in trading Mcgahee required drafting 2 more rbs when those picks could possibly have been used to fix other holes on the team. I just question whether it was the best allocation of their resources. Good feedback everybody.

DGreg
05-20-2007, 11:44 AM
As soon as the season starts and Lynch is destroying defenses people will be saying Willis Who?

henrybacker
05-20-2007, 11:48 AM
They very well might say that. They also might say, why can't we stop the run?? or why does youbooty keep getting burnt?

X-Era
05-20-2007, 11:50 AM
thoughts?

If by "it" in your question was it worth "it", you mean the trading power to move up for Puz, and an extra 3rd next year, yes it was worth it. Id do it any day of the week.

BTW, Lynch is better as far as approach and attitude right now, thats just frosting on the cake.

Goobylal
05-20-2007, 02:09 PM
They very well might say that. They also might say, why can't we stop the run?? or why does youbooty keep getting burnt?
As opposed to why can't we stop the run (since the Bills weren't going to spend a high pick on a DT anyway), why does Darrelle Revis keep getting burnt, and why do we have no running game?

Novacane
05-20-2007, 03:17 PM
yes

feldspar
05-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Willis had to go.

If he didn't leave this year, he most certainly would have been gone next year. Trading him gave us 2 third rounders and a seventh in the draft, picks that we wouldn't have had if we let him walk next year. I dislike Willis as much as I like Lynch. Anyway, why keep a bigmouth malcontent who hasn't produced on the field? I am soooooooo glad he is gone. I just couldn't root for him anymore.

The Spaz
05-20-2007, 05:34 PM
No he didn't have to go, he was traded because of the idiots in the front office and they didn't get even close to equal value for him from the Ravens.

We should have got at least a 1st rounder and one of baltimores starting LB's.

The concrete is obviously in your head...

Mr. Pink
05-20-2007, 05:52 PM
In order to properly judge if it was worth it, lets look at positives and negatives. I'll start with negatives for fun!

Negatives are as follows...
1. 3.9 YPC
2. 990 yards in a season
3. Can't block
4. Can't catch
5. Hates Buffalo
6. Doesn't know the difference between 3rd and 4th down.

Positives...

Well, he was good at the U!

So yes, it was a good move to deal a guy who had no desire to play here, didn't like it here and was dumber than a box of rocks.

By the way, was there a need to ask such a dumb question?

feldspar
05-20-2007, 06:11 PM
No he didn't have to go, he was traded because of the idiots in the front office and they didn't get even close to equal value for him from the Ravens.

We should have got at least a 1st rounder and one of baltimores starting LB's.

I can really see why you already have 37 groans after only having posted 32 times. I can see this as plain as day.

henrybacker
05-20-2007, 07:38 PM
As opposed to why can't we stop the run (since the Bills weren't going to spend a high pick on a DT anyway), why does Darrelle Revis keep getting burnt, and why do we have no running game?

-Why wouldn't we have a running game if McGahee was still here behind this now beefed up O-line? Especially in a contract year where he had to be motivated.

henrybacker
05-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Was there such a need to make a personal attack?

henrybacker
05-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Was there such a need to make a personal attack?