PDA

View Full Version : What if I told you that Marv nailed this draft.

HHURRICANE
05-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm starting to think that this draft was as good or better than last years.

Notice how Marv keeps getting guys that aren't supposed to be there.

I got excited when I looked at what he did here.

1) Lynch was a no-brainer but when you consider that we are starting with Lynch-Thomas-Wright behind a much improved O-line that looks pretty awesome.

2) Poz is a love/hate player. You either love him or hate him. But taking him in the 2nd was another no brainer and I won't second guess the trade up because you don't know for sure that he was staying on the board until we got him. If he plays well it'll be the best pickup in the draft.

3) We lost Holcomb, thank goodness, and need a #3 QB. We ended up getting a #2QB in Edwards, in the third round. Enough said.

4) Wendling, who we got in the 6th, is a Steve Tasker kind of player. Expect him to play alot and well.

5) CJ Ah You is a special teamer at best. However, we have alot of special teamers that have seen better days do it is likely that he could make the roster. He's my least favorite pick.

My intial frustration is that I was hoping for a playoff team and maybe put to much emphasis on the draft after losing a bunch of players. But the draft itself was solid, especially with limited picks. I think this draft could produce 3 stars out of it potentially.

Pinkerton Security
05-19-2007, 09:57 AM
2) Poz is a love/hate player. You either love him or hate him. But taking him in the 2nd was another no brainer and I won't second guess the trade up because you don't know for sure that he was staying on the board until we got him. If he plays well it'll be the best pickup in the draft.

3) We lost Holcomb, thank goodness, and need a #3 QB. We ended up getting a #2QB in Edwards, in the third round. Enough said.

The Answer is not going to like this assessment, except for the Edwards thing.:nono:

I agree though, we seemed to have picked up some good players and I am very excited!

HHURRICANE
05-19-2007, 10:06 AM
The Answer is not going to like this assessment, except for the Edwards thing.:nono:

I agree though, we seemed to have picked up some good players and I am very excited!

Even I had to remind myself that the draft is comprised of 100% rookies. The Bills are young and getting younger but could be really exciting down the road.

We tried the veteran thing and that didn't work too well. Spikes, Fletcher, Posey, Adams, Milloy, Vincent, and Bledsoe.

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Ya i mean cant focus on all NEGS i think all in all marv has this team in right direction

patmoran2006
05-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Whether you loved the draft, am nuetral about it or hated it. It's irrelevant right now because they haven't played yet.

If you love POZ.. Nothing anyone can say will make you change your mind before he plays, and vice versa.

I personally only love one (Lynch) and sorta like another (Wright) of the first four picks we made. But again, It doesnt matter what I say because until its taken to the field it's irrelevent.

My draft preference was this (and I could be wrong, they could be busts) but this is what I hoped for.
1- Lynch
2- David Harris
3- Jason HIll
3- Daymeion Hughes

Nobody will know until they play though

patmoran2006
05-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Even I had to remind myself that the draft is comprised of 100% rookies. The Bills are young and getting younger but could be really exciting down the road.

We tried the veteran thing and that didn't work too well. Spikes, Fletcher, Posey, Adams, Milloy, Vincent, and Bledsoe.
Fine.. as long as the fans continue to buy into it at the box office, then fine.

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Whether you loved the draft, am nuetral about it or hated it. It's irrelevant right now because they haven't played yet.

If you love POZ.. Nothing anyone can say will make you change your mind before he plays, and vice versa.

I personally only love one (Lynch) and sorta like another (Wright) of the first four picks we made. But again, It doesnt matter what I say because until its taken to the field it's irrelevent.

My draft preference was this (and I could be wrong, they could be busts) but this is what I hoped for.
1- Lynch
2- David Harris
3- Jason HIll
3- Daymeion Hughes

Nobody will know until they play though

ive seen this on like 4 post...yes we didnt get everyone you wanted but all in all the draft wasnt that bad RIght PM?

patmoran2006
05-19-2007, 10:26 AM
ive seen this on like 4 post...yes we didnt get everyone you wanted but all in all the draft wasnt that bad RIght PM?
The draft was good in that we got some good, young talent. Lynch and Poz SHOULD become good starters; while Wright could become a punnishing backup.

The draft was bad in that all the draft accomplished was replacing players that left or we traded. One could argue EASILY that we're not better at one single spot than we were last year due to the draft; other than maybe RB, depending on if you like McGahee or not.

CB and WR- two of the weakest spots on the team weren't even touched- and the same sorry run defense up front we had last year is back again and wasn't touched either.

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 10:28 AM
The draft was good in that we got some good, young talent. Lynch and Poz SHOULD become good starters; while Wright could become a punnishing backup.

The draft was bad in that all the draft accomplished was replacing players that left or we traded.

CB and WR- two of the weakest spots on the team weren't even touched- and the same sorry run defense up front we had last year is back again and wasn't touched either.

I dont think coaches are worried about WR;s and i also feel that drafting a CB in 3rd or 4th is pointless in the fact that Youghtby (cant spell) was drafted last year and has a year under the system (started slow we all know) tho i feel we do need a NUMBER 2 wr and a better 3rd cb but i like what they went for in the draft....Our Defense will be better if our offense can stay on the field and keep them rested and not beat up in the 4th qtr

Jan Reimers
05-19-2007, 10:42 AM
It's too early to say that we nailed the draft, but in general I liked what we did. And it's nice to hear a positive assessment. I think Lynch and Poz were the very best we could do with our first two picks, then getting a highly rated QB and a big RB really solidified those positions. We also got needed help at Safety and TE.

I do recognize, however, that we still probably need depth at CB and LB, and a quality 2nd WR. I just think that Marv and the boys went BPA after the first 2 rounds, and will bring in guys at the positions we missed later, after cuts are made around the league.

HHURRICANE
05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Jp is the number one benefactor of this off-season. Three solid RBs and a very good O-line.

My support for him was justified last year but I'm going to be way more critical of him this year if he doesn't perform at the next level. He should have alot less pressure on him and shouldn't be forced to make too many mistakes.

patmoran2006
05-19-2007, 10:48 AM
It's too early to say that we nailed the draft, but in general I liked what we did. And it's nice to hear a positive assessment. I think Lynch and Poz were the very best we could do with our first two picks, then getting a highly rated QB and a big RB really solidified those positions. We also got needed help at Safety and TE.

I do recognize, however, that we still probably need depth at CB and LB, and a quality 2nd WR. I just think that Marv and the boys went BPA after the first 2 rounds, and will bring in guys at the positions we missed later, after cuts are made around the league.
I think Lynch and Poz were the very best we could do... GIVEN the fact we addresed nothing other than OL in Free agency.

Carriker would've been a great addition to this team at #12 as well; but the offseason dictated that couldn't happen. I do like Lynch however; a lot

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 11:09 AM

They traded away Holcomb. Acquiring a 3rd string qb is simple to do and didn't require spending a 4th round pick on one. Hell, philly is going to drop Holcomb it looks like. It surprised me as I felt Marv was very high on Nall and was set to go with him as the automatic back up qb. Two of his comments on qb's kind of scared me and I would like to hear others thoughts on them.

After last year's draft, he stated he passed on Leinart as he saw him and Young as 2nd or 3rd rounders. This year he said he had Edwards ranked higher than Brady Quinn.

HHURRICANE
05-19-2007, 11:09 AM
I do like Lynch however; a lot

Homer!

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 11:11 AM
tho i feel we do need a NUMBER 2 wr and a better 3rd cb but i like what they went for in the draft....Our Defense will be better if our offense can stay on the field and keep them rested and not beat up in the 4th qtr

-sooo keep mcgahee and then draft a wr,cb and run stuffer on D rather than 2 rb's and a qb.

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 11:15 AM
tho i feel we do need a NUMBER 2 wr and a better 3rd cb but i like what they went for in the draft....Our Defense will be better if our offense can stay on the field and keep them rested and not beat up in the 4th qtr

-sooo keep mcgahee and then draft a wr,cb and run stuffer on D rather than 2 rb's and a qb.

First off dont take my stuff out of context, i think our coaching staff knows our D was getting beat up in the 4th qtr and we couldnt stop anyone and the main reason was because we couldnt control the clock on offense thats why we went OLINE and 2 rbs that will actually play with heart and contribute more to JP progression

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 12:00 PM
I dont think coaches are worried about WR;s and i also feel that drafting a CB in 3rd or 4th is pointless in the fact that Youghtby (cant spell) was drafted last year and has a year under the system (started slow we all know) tho i feel we do need a NUMBER 2 wr and a better 3rd cb but i like what they went for in the draft....Our Defense will be better if our offense can stay on the field and keep them rested and not beat up in the 4th qtr

--sooo keep mcgahee and then draft a wr,cb and run stuffer on D rather than 2 rb's and a qb.

better?

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 12:03 PM
i think our coaching staff knows our D was getting beat up in the 4th qtr and we couldnt stop anyone and the main reason was because we couldnt control the clock on offense thats why we went OLINE and 2 rbs that will actually play with heart and contribute more to JP progression (i also feel our DLine wasnt that awesome either in RUN D but wearing a D down over a game comes into play)

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I think what annoys me the most about you is that you are highly repetitive. You just made this same post 45 minutes ago.

Redundant...
Redundant...
Redundant...
Redundant...
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%">[/URL]</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%"> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974450#post1974450)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974449 width="50%"></TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%"> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974449#post1974449)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%">[URL="http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974450#post1974450"]</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I think what annoys me the most about you is that you are highly repetitive. You just made this same post 45 minutes ago.

Redundant...
Redundant...
Redundant...
Redundant...
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%">[/URL]</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%"> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974450#post1974450)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974449 width="50%"></TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%"> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974449#post1974449)</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: usercp_reputationbits --><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1Active id=p1974450 width="50%">[URL="http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1974450#post1974450"]</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 width="50%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I MADE SAME POST BECAUSE YOU DIDNT BRING MY WHOLE COMMENT OVER THATS WHY IT MADE NO SENSE TO YOU....so stop being a dumb****

YardRat
05-19-2007, 12:59 PM
The draft was bad in that all the draft accomplished was replacing players that left or we traded.

If that's 'all it did' then I would say that was successful in itself and call it a day.

Let's give these guys (AND last years draft choices/free agents) some time to prove whether or not they were good pick-ups or not.

This draft could be great, it could turn out terrible...only time will tell.

Mr. Pink
05-19-2007, 01:12 PM
I like the Bills draft as a whole.

Lynch has potential to be a game changer and difference maker, something McGahee was never able to do. Thanks to the knee injury, is my guess.

Poz has the opportunity to come in and help solidify a rush defense that was absolutely abysmal. He's in a win-win situation. If we improve and he makes tackles near the LOS, he'll be exalted. If it stays the same as Fletch did, then people will go see, he's just as good as Fletch. Great Situation for him to walk into, in my opinion.

Wendling in Round 6 was probably the best pick by the Bills out of this draft. Everyone is supposed to nail the early rounds, I think we found a very good depth guy who has the chance at being around on this team for a long time.

mayotm
05-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Whether you loved the draft, am nuetral about it or hated it. It's irrelevant right now because they haven't played yet.Wait a minute, you are the first person to over-react to every move the Bills make. Now you're taking a "wait and see" attitude? How convenient.

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Pats crazy thats why, he goes on random spurts

ublinkwescore
05-19-2007, 04:52 PM

Don't be surprised if Robert Royal starts to take it to the next level as a recieving TE - our new Oline shouldn't need TE help as much as it did last year.

mikemac2001
05-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Don't be surprised if Robert Royal starts to take it to the next level as a recieving TE - our new Oline shouldn't need TE help as much as it did last year.

Ya he wasnt bad just always had to block, i like how this offense is looking yes think a solid number 2 which i dont feel price is anymore but maybe he can return to form other then that think offense is in place.

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 05:53 PM
I MADE SAME POST BECAUSE YOU DIDNT BRING MY WHOLE COMMENT OVER THATS WHY IT MADE NO SENSE TO YOU....so stop being a dumb****

I commented on the part I highlighted. I never said anything "MADE NO SENSE TO ME" If everyone wanted to see your whole post they could scroll up and see it. Stop being a dumb****.

SquishDaFish
05-19-2007, 06:58 PM
I would totally agree with you.

Goobylal
05-19-2007, 08:13 PM
LOL! Yep, a total reach, just like last year. That's all I need to hear.

Learn to think for yourselves, boys.

Goobylal
05-19-2007, 08:20 PM
We could have traded down last year and got whitner in the 1st round. We traded a 3rd round pick to move up in the 1st again and draft mccargo who would have been available in day 2.

This year lynch would have been available in the late 1st round as well, and poslunzy was probably a 3rd rounder at best too.

Translation....Levy has no clue how to run an NFL draft.
Like I said, learn to think for yourself instead of listening to the so-called "experts," who were proven wrong. Better yet, tell me you're a troll and really not this dumb.

Whitner was gone no later than 12th overall to the Rams. The Rams had just lost SS Adam Archuleta and needed a replacement. And guess what the Rams did when their turn came up and Whitner was gone? They traded down with the Broncos.

As for this year, everyone and their mother knew that Green Bay was going to take Lynch at 16 overall. And Poz was a 1st round talent, NOT a 3rd round talent. That's just crazy talk.

Mr. Pink
05-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Don't feed the trolls!

Goobylal
05-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Don't feed the trolls!
Sorry, wasn't sure, and it was an easy target.

patmoran2006
05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Homer!
I always liked Lynch.. I still think AP is a better RB, but Lynch may do better in THIS system that AP might've had he been available.

I'd still rather have Michael Turner than either of them. But who the hell knows what SD really wanted for him-- so you can't really fault Marv Levy for that.

patmoran2006
05-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I like the Bills draft as a whole.

Lynch has potential to be a game changer and difference maker, something McGahee was never able to do. Thanks to the knee injury, is my guess.

Poz has the opportunity to come in and help solidify a rush defense that was absolutely abysmal. He's in a win-win situation. If we improve and he makes tackles near the LOS, he'll be exalted. If it stays the same as Fletch did, then people will go see, he's just as good as Fletch. Great Situation for him to walk into, in my opinion.

Wendling in Round 6 was probably the best pick by the Bills out of this draft. Everyone is supposed to nail the early rounds, I think we found a very good depth guy who has the chance at being around on this team for a long time.
I think Wright is going to be a good change-of-pace running back and great depth as well in round 4.

I still disagree with trading up for POZ, because I PERSONALLY don't feel he will be "that good" in the NFL. But-- the Bills had him rated really high so from their standpoint it was worth it. The only pick I think was really stupid was the Edwards pick- and that's ONLY because we did nothing prior to or during the draft to address CB or WR.

feldspar
05-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I like this draft a lot. I can't complain about any player, because we got quality players in every round. The reason why we didn't get a CB or WR is because there wasn't any quality players available at those positions where we picked, and there WERE quality players at other positions (ie QB and RB). Why play games trading down just so we could get just any CB or WR? The whole thing makes sense to me.

IMO, the correct way to rebuild is getting quality, not by making a mad scramble to fill certain positions. LB and RB were our main positions of need, and we did an excellent job filling those positions. Anyway, many people thought Youboty was first round talent, and he is the guy this year I think. There is no way we were finding any CB better than him as late as the #92 pick, especially since Youboty has had a year to learn the Bills' system. We'll just have to live with Price, Reed, and Parrish at WR...that's not so bad. Could be better, but that's not so bad.

Mr. Pink
05-20-2007, 06:02 PM
I like this draft a lot. I can't complain about any player, because we got quality players in every round. The reason why we didn't get a CB or WR is because there wasn't any quality players available at those positions where we picked, and there WERE quality players at other positions (ie QB and RB). Why play games trading down just so we could get just any CB or WR? The whole thing makes sense to me.

IMO, the correct way to rebuild is getting quality, not by making a mad scramble to fill certain positions. LB and RB were our main positions of need, and we did an excellent job filling those positions.

See you say this and it looks good and all, but the Colts who employ the same system as us took CB Hughes 3 picks after we took Trent Edwards. So unless you're making the great leap of faith and saying Marv/Modrak are more knowledgable than Polian your statement is kind of flawed.

I do agree with the reasoning on round 4, just didn't think a 3rd string running back was that big of a priority to take there.

feldspar
05-20-2007, 06:07 PM
See you say this and it looks good and all, but the Colts who employ the same system as us took CB Hughes 3 picks after we took Trent Edwards. So unless you're making the great leap of faith and saying Marv/Modrak are more knowledgable than Polian your statement is kind of flawed.

I do agree with the reasoning on round 4, just didn't think a 3rd string running back was that big of a priority to take there.

The Colts are a better team than the Bills, in case you haven't noticed. They are in an entirely different situation. I don't care if they are in the same system. The Colts don't have Youboty, either. We already have a guy (Youboty) to replace the guy we lost (Clements). What are you saying? That Hughes is better than Youboty? That Hughes is going to be an immediate improvement over McGee?

Mr. Pink
05-20-2007, 06:23 PM
The Colts are a better team than the Bills, in case you haven't noticed. They are in an entirely different situation. I don't care if they are in the same system. The Colts don't have Youboty, either. We already have a guy (Youboty) to replace the guy we lost (Clements). What are you saying? That Hughes is better than Youboty? That Hughes is going to be an immediate improvement over McGee?

I'm saying Hughes would be an improvement over Kiwi and Greer. And create a legitimate battle in camp between him and Youboty. Which would push each player to be better. If you think a seven year vet with 0 career INTs is gonna be much of a battle in camp for a guy who allegedly had first round talent, you're nuts.

He would have added depth and talent to a VERY thin position. Plus woulda legitimatized the competition for the number 2 position.

By the way, the Colts also had only 4 corners going into the draft. They now have 7. It's good for competition and depth. Something we definitely lack.

On our team what competition is there at the corner spot? It's gonna be McGee-Youboty-Kiwi-Greer. None of them have anything to fear, because they can't be cut. We don't have the manpower to do that.

henrybacker
05-20-2007, 07:34 PM
We'll just have to live with Price, Reed, and Parrish at WR...that's not so bad. Could be better, but that's not so bad.

Gotta be one of the worst 2-3-4 wr in the nfl. I actually like Parrish, the bills just haven't found a good way to use him yet.

OpIv37
05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
the first two picks were great.

The Edwards pick was a definite WTF and makes no sense.

I think Wright might have a role on this team, but at the same time I have to question going after another RB when we already had Lynch and A-Train.

After that, it's too early to comment- Wendling is a freakish athlete and that gives him potential, I don't really know anything else about the other picks. At this point in the draft, it's just looking for anyone who might be able to contribute.

It's way too early to be evaluating drafts, but since there is nothing else to do this time of year: On paper, the first two picks are great, the third pick is questionable, and the rest are just too tough to call.

Mad Bomber
05-20-2007, 07:43 PM
I'll tell you in December what I think of the draft. Right now it's just a gut feeling.

The Answer
05-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm starting to think that this draft was as good or better than last years.

Notice how Marv keeps getting guys that aren't supposed to be there.

I got excited when I looked at what he did here.

1) Lynch was a no-brainer but when you consider that we are starting with Lynch-Thomas-Wright behind a much improved O-line that looks pretty awesome.

4) Wendling, who we got in the 6th, is a Steve Tasker kind of player. Expect him to play alot and well.

5) CJ Ah You is a special teamer at best. However, we have alot of special teamers that have seen better days do it is likely that he could make the roster. He's my least favorite pick.

My intial frustration is that I was hoping for a playoff team and maybe put to much emphasis on the draft after losing a bunch of players. But the draft itself was solid, especially with limited picks. I think this draft could produce 3 stars out of it potentially.

The Answer was generous handing out a B- grade overall for Levy's 2nd draft. The Edwards pick was questionable at first, but with the loss of The Holcomb it makes a lot of sense. Also may have found some late round gems in Schouman and Wendling.

The POS pick however could end up ruining the entire draft when it's all said and done and we really needed that other 3rd round pick we picked up in the McGahee trade.

~The Answer

John Doe
05-21-2007, 05:47 AM

It can only be "flawed" if Edwards were available when Polian selected Hughes.

If Edwards were not available when the Bills picked then maybe they would have selected Hughes.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 08:09 AM
:up:

HHURRICANE
05-21-2007, 08:16 AM
:up:

I share the sentiments on Royal. I think he will be the most improved player even though it's just based on the fact that he will have more opportunities to catch the ball.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm saying Hughes would be an improvement over Kiwi and Greer. And create a legitimate battle in camp between him and Youboty. Which would push each player to be better. If you think a seven year vet with 0 career INTs is gonna be much of a battle in camp for a guy who allegedly had first round talent, you're nuts.

I don't think our coaches share the same opinion. I think they thought that Hughes would probably only push Kiwi and Greer but not Youboty or McGee and that's not what they were loking for. Instead they grabbed a Qb who would push Nall and solidify the back up position in case something happened to JP not just this year but for years to come. Here's hoping it won't happen ,but if anything does happen to JP in FA'cy or does not improve it's also not a bad thing for Edwards to come in who will already know the system by then.

Goobylal
05-21-2007, 08:42 AM
The Bills felt that Hughes had 4th round talent. That's why they went with Edwards, who they felt had early-2nd round talent. If they thought Hughes was a 1st round talent, or even 2nd round talent, they would have taken him.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
With the statement that "marv nailed the draft"..

Are you referring to a draft that can pay dividends in 3 or so years overall? Or are you referring to a draft that was nailed that's going to make this team better immediately?

If the answer is down the line; then yes I could agree. Edwards down the line could become a starter or at least be tangled as valuable trade bait. Wright could definitely become a bruising change-of-pace/goaline back.

If the answer is now, I dont see how that's possible when 2 of our first 4 picks weren't even drafted with the intentions of being starters.

Our 3rd pick is a backup quarterback, and our 4th pick is probably the third string running back this year.

Goobylal
05-21-2007, 09:39 AM
There was really no scenario where the Bills' 1st 4 picks were going to be drafted as starters. Say the Bills don't trade away their first 3rd rounder for Poz and either get him or take Harris, what 3rd round pick did you see taken with that 3rd round pick or later that would have started for the Bills? Much less the 2nd-3rd rounder? Much less the 4th rounder?

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 09:43 AM
There was really no scenario where the Bills' 1st 4 picks were going to be drafted as starters. Say the Bills don't trade away their first 3rd rounder for Poz and either get him or take Harris, what 3rd round pick did you see taken with that 3rd round pick or later that would have started for the Bills? Much less the 2nd-3rd rounder? Much less the 4th rounder?
Jason Hill is good enough to come in immediately and push Peerless Price to start as a #2 WR... I dont care if he was picked in round 3, 6 or 76- mark my words Ben Patrick is a starting TE in the NFL. And sorry, but I still think Daymeion Hughes will be a better CB than anyone we have on our roster right now. There were also a few LB's that maybe don't unseat Ellison immediately but would have significant playing time as a rookie.

I'm not bashing Wright either. I love this dude and for the role he was drafted for, he's going to be fantastic (just not as a rookie as A-Train is still here).. I said maybe 3 years down the line this would be a draft that was "nailed"

but for the immediate future, they could've done much better in terms of guys that can help them from day one.

alohabillsfan
05-21-2007, 09:52 AM
I think Lynch and Poz were the very best we could do... GIVEN the fact we addresed nothing other than OL in Free agency.

Carriker would've been a great addition to this team at #12 as well; but the offseason dictated that couldn't happen. I do like Lynch however; a lot

Not sure I agree with getting Carriker, we already have Kesay and Denney, plus he is getting reps at DT (which IMO is where he would play at in the Tampa cover 2).

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Not sure I agree with getting Carriker, we already have Kesay and Denney, plus he is getting reps at DT (which IMO is where he would play at in the Tampa cover 2).
he hates Kelsay.

Goobylal
05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I think that Hill is the only one out of the guys you mentioned who possibly could have started for the Bills this year, barring injury. Hughes I don't like because he's not strong enough to jam receivers and not fast enough to keep up with them. Patrick had every team pass on him several times so it's not just the Bills and I think they had Schouman targeted all along in the 7th.

But the Bills felt they had to trade-up to get Poz because they had him rated as highly as Lynch and Revis. He likely would have been taken before their original 2nd round pick, and even if the Bills had used their 2nd-3rd rounder, I could still see them taking Edwards.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 10:01 AM
No, I agree.

I said Carriker WOULD'VE been a great pick for us; but it couldn't happen because we resigned Kelsay.

alohabillsfan
05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
The bottom line is this...
We are now set at
QB JP/Edwards
RB Lynch/Wright/Atrain
LT Peters
LG Dockery
C Fowler
RG Butler/Preston
RT Walker/Pennington
TE Royal/C-somethingK/ Everett (Huge?)
WR Evans/Price/Parrish/Reed/Aiken

DE Kelsay/Denney/Schobel/Hardgrove
LB Crowell/POZ/ Ellison ***Need Depth 2008 FA/Draft
CB Yobouty/Mcgee/Thomas/Greer *** Need Depth 2008 FA/Draft
S Whitner/Simpson

I do not think we have any "STAR" FA leaving next season we have the players we need for the schemes we use and are only 1 year away from solidifying the roster!

Generalissimus Gibby
05-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Sorry but on the surface this was another horrible draft for the 2nd year in a row. Reaching on day one, and not drafting needs.

I give Levy and D -

WTF, didn't we NEED A RUNNING BACK AND A LINEBACKER? OH **** WE DID AND WE GOT IT. Yet another incarnation of NWF methinks.

henrybacker
05-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Like I said, learn to think for yourself instead of listening to the so-called "experts," who were proven wrong..

-Please explain

---I agree that patrick could be a steal at TE.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 05:07 PM
There are 32 GM's in the NFL right now who think they have "nailed the draft"

feelthepain
05-21-2007, 05:35 PM
The Bills had a good draft, how good? We'll have to wait and see.

HHURRICANE
05-21-2007, 09:15 PM
The Bills had a good draft, how good? We'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for being objective.

feelthepain
05-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for being objective.

I'm more objective then I'm given credit for here. Problem is, when Bill fans start slinging the insults and I return the insults, that's all anyone here cares to remember.

Wys Guy
05-22-2007, 07:34 AM
Insults? Here?

:D