PDA

View Full Version : We could still make one big free agent splash!!!!

BILLSROCK1212
05-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Say Lance Briggs was released from the franchise tag....I honestly believe that the Bills would be one of the top 2 teams that he would want to go to and that would call him along with the Bucs.....Just imagine Crowell-Poz-Briggs......that would by far be the best LB core in the NFL if we could do this idc if we dont sign another CB or WR

henrybacker
05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
why would the bears release him instead of trade him?

HHURRICANE
05-19-2007, 10:47 AM
For the sake of the League and not creating a nightmare let's hope Briggs stays in Chicago.

What happens when Peters decides to sit over his contract extension? You guys won't be celebrating issues like this.

Daniel Snyder is the devil and I'm glad Chicago didn't entertain his offer.

Jan Reimers
05-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't think that signing flashy, big name, high priced free agents fits the way Marv wants to build this team - and it's not the way that he and Polian built our SB teams, either.

BILLSROCK1212
05-19-2007, 11:46 AM
why would the bears release him instead of trade him?
idk....its just what i've been hearing

OpIv37
05-19-2007, 11:57 AM
While our LB situation is pretty bad and Briggs would be a great addition to this team, one has to think of the opportunity cost of signing him. If it hoses our cap and keeps us from re-signing a Peters, Losman (assuming he continues to improve) or Evans down the road, then it's not worth it.

I know the situation between Briggs and Chicago is still bad (I don't have an inside source- it's been widely reported), so here's what I hope is happening: I hope Marv is negotiating with Chicago to see what it would take to get Briggs here. If they want too much, Marv turns them down. If they can agree on a reasonable price, Marv pulls the trigger. IMO it would be stupid not to at least find out what it would take, but it would also be stupid to overpay. I'm sure the Bears want an amicable solution to the problem as well, so they are probably open to hearing what other teams have to offer.

I'm not even gonna start the discussion on "reasonable price" because we're all going to disagree on that front.

Devin
05-19-2007, 12:26 PM
We dont need to bring any high priced guys in here right now, we need to take care of our own.

Evans, Losman, Schobel, Walker.....etc all need deals not to mention the guys who will start *****ing about thier deals soon.

Dozerdog
05-19-2007, 01:22 PM
idk....its just what i've been hearingThe Answer's girl scout freinds?

Samphin1
05-19-2007, 03:50 PM
While I disagree with the statement that it owuld be the best linebacking corps in the league, it would certainly fix a lot of ills for Buffalo.

Briggs is a special talent imo and can adapt to any and all schemes. If Chicago lets him go though, it won't be until as late as possible so that it forces Briggs to sign with another team for under market value.

jamze132
05-19-2007, 04:42 PM
I aslo disagree about the "best" LB corps in the NFL. One guy is an unproven rookie.

BILLSROCK1212
05-19-2007, 05:01 PM
I aslo disagree about the "best" LB corps in the NFL. One guy is an unproven rookie.
gosh.....u guys dont have to whine about something i wrote in my post, that wasn't the point in the post anyway....it was the possibility of us getting Briggs....and does it matter if it is the best or not? it would be one of the best i am sorry i didnt make myself clear enough

gr8slayer
05-19-2007, 05:11 PM
No thanks.

Philagape
05-19-2007, 05:39 PM
C-A-S-H T-O C-A-P

X-Era
05-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Say Lance Briggs was released from the franchise tag....I honestly believe that the Bills would be one of the top 2 teams that he would want to go to and that would call him along with the Bucs.....Just imagine Crowell-Poz-Briggs......that would by far be the best LB core in the NFL if we could do this idc if we dont sign another CB or WR

It would strengthen the LB corp yes.

I would love the move.

I dont think Briggs can be had for less than a 1st or maybe 2nd round pick AND the money to sign him.

I think a team DESPERATE for a LB would do it, I dont think Jauron or Marv feels desperate. They have a very solid LB in Crowell, the have a LB with 1st round talent (in there minds) in Puz, and they have a guy that started many games last year, knows the system, and did fairly well.

If they didnt have Puz I could see it. But giving up that much for a nice to have rather than a have to have maybe be more than the Bills will do.

Id love it if it happened, but I think its remote at best.

jamze132
05-20-2007, 04:41 AM
gosh.....u guys dont have to whine about something i wrote in my post, that wasn't the point in the post anyway....it was the possibility of us getting Briggs....and does it matter if it is the best or not? it would be one of the best i am sorry i didnt make myself clear enough
Do you take Zyban too?

patmoran2006
05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't think that signing flashy, big name, high priced free agents fits the way Marv wants to build this team - and it's not the way that he and Polian built our SB teams, either.
Just because you are a "flashy, big name, high priced free agent" doesn't mean you can't play great football.

Lance Briggs is only like 26 years old, he's just entering the prime of his career, he's a great linebacker and most importantly, he's the prototypical cover two linebacker. IF we landed Briggs he would be as important to this team as any free agent was to any team in the NFL.

That being said, I know it's not happening (well not this year anyway). Wilson is committed to NOT spending over the cash-to-cap this year, so even if Chicago cut him tommorow we wouldn't be interested in him-- this year.

My best hope is that Buffalo improves enough to show Wilson that we're on the cusp of being a playoff contender by season's end, so that maybe next season if someone like Briggs becomes a free agent (very very likely) that we would go after a guy like him that could put the team over the top.

patmoran2006
05-20-2007, 04:10 PM
No thanks.
ya I know. He costs too much money- therefore he's "overated" -- ohh, plus he's made because of Urlacher, right?

Lets go cash-to-cap for the next 10 years, so each year we could suck on the field, but be profitable off it. maybe we can go an entire decade like Cincinnati did in the 1990's with having the most cap room in the NFL each season.

No sane person is going to tell me Lance Briggs wouldn't be an ultimate upgrade to this defense. In 2008 (when he actually will become a FA) A combo of Briggs, Crowell and a more seasoned POZ could be among the game's best.

Philagape
05-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Dockery was a big FA signing. Kelsay and L. Walker were mediocre, no-name, high-priced FAs.
Marv has shown he'll spend the money that Ralph lets him spend. Our FA policy comes from Ralph's budget, not Marv's philosophy.

gr8slayer
05-20-2007, 05:46 PM
ya I know. He costs too much money- therefore he's "overated" -- ohh, plus he's made because of Urlacher, right?

Lets go cash-to-cap for the next 10 years, so each year we could suck on the field, but be profitable off it. maybe we can go an entire decade like Cincinnati did in the 1990's with having the most cap room in the NFL each season.

No sane person is going to tell me Lance Briggs wouldn't be an ultimate upgrade to this defense. In 2008 (when he actually will become a FA) A combo of Briggs, Crowell and a more seasoned POZ could be among the game's best.
No I would just rather keep our money and pay Evans and Losman you stupid Moran.

Mr. Pink
05-20-2007, 05:49 PM
What about Asante Samuel? Have the pats resigned him yet??

We didn't pay Nate and Samuel would command the same type of money. No way he's coming here.

patmoran2006
05-20-2007, 07:22 PM
No I would just rather keep our money and pay Evans and Losman you stupid Moran.
We have more than enough money than to just "pay Evans and Losman"... Let me rephrase that. We have more than enough salary cap roo than to just pay Evans and Losman.