• Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Our Defensive Weak (Right) Side...Scary Thoughts

Here is what our weak side of our defense looks like thus far:

RE: Schobel (awesome)
    WLB: Keith Ellison or Coy Wire (The epic battle between crap and a turd)
    RCB: Kiwi Thomas or Ashton Youboty (Big, looming question mark)
    SS: Donte Whitner (solid...hopefully)

I am absolutley TERRIFIED that our right side of the defense is going to blow major CHUNKS this season. We have an unproven semi-rookie in Youboty manning the CB position, or a no big play impact guy in Kiwi Thomas.

At RE, I'm happy with Schobel, but also worried about the fact that he is not good at all on run-D, which means whoever is behind Schobel (Ellison/Wire and Thomas/Youboty) is going to be responsible for anyone running or passing to that side.

We have a "well he didnt stink it up, thank God" 6th round choice Ellison who is purportedly duking it out with Coy "I haven't done jack crap since my rookie season" Wire at WLB. I dont know what should scare me more, that Wire might actually beat our Ellison at this position, or that we just have those 2 guys playing for that starting position. Please Marv, get someone else in there that is not joe-schmo from Lackawanna High School UDFA who plays awesome flag football.

And I hope Whitner grows from last year, or we could be in deep doo-doo when it comes to our run D next year if teams exploit the obvious weakness on the right side of the Bills defense.

Like I've said before...I REALLY hope our offense is better than last year, because no one should be counting on the defense to be making as near big plays (INTs, FUM, good field position) as they did last year. You take away what Fletch and Clements did last year, and you lose 2 sacks, 7 INTs, 2 Def. TD, 23 Pass Def. between those two vets.

Meanwhile, if you look at what Ellison/Crowell and McGee gave us last year in terms of big plays: 3 sacks, 3 INTs, 0 Def. TDs, 17 pass def.

BTW...did anyone ever actually see that McGee had 0 sacks and 0 INTs last season? Thats pretty pathetic if you ask me...

Just some stats to think about....
  • Elminster
    #1 Kelsay Fan
    • Oct 2006

Re: Our Defensive Weak (Right) Side...Scary Thoughts

Stopped reading when you said Ellison was crap....
    Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• madness
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Elminster
      Stopped reading when you said Ellison was crap....
      Me too.

Comment

• raphael120
        • Oct 2005

Ellison starting just goes to show how bad our depth at LB is. I just dont think him beating out Coy Wire is a good gauge at how "great" he is.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

When did Ellison compete against Wire, much less beat him out? His play last year was excellent, especially for a rookie, much less a 6th round pick, much much less a guy who missed almost all of the OTA's and mini-camps.

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

Comment

• Slim
              • Apr 2004

The weak side still gets help. MLB, FS, thats part of there jobs.

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

Ive been saying for months I think Ellison is going to be a solid weakside guy for a 6th rounder who saw the amount of time his rookie year I was impressed. If he builds on that and improves this year I believe we will be just fine.
                http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

For those who actually watched the Buffalo Bills football team in the NFL last season, Ellison was far and away our best open field tackler.

Thrown to the wolves, I was shocked how well he played. With Paul Poz slated to play MLB and able to persue from sideline to sideline, I'm thinking we're better than last year with Fletcher and a crippled Spikes.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                    For those who actually watched the Buffalo Bills football team in the NFL last season, Ellison was far and away our best open field tackler.

Thrown to the wolves, I was shocked how well he played. With Paul Poz slated to play MLB and able to persue from sideline to sideline, I'm thinking we're better than last year with Fletcher and a crippled Spikes.

Comment

• raphael120
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Goobylal
                      When did Ellison compete against Wire, much less beat him out? His play last year was excellent, especially for a rookie, much less a 6th round pick, much much less a guy who missed almost all of the OTA's and mini-camps.

1. He filled in the LB core before Wire did, and

2. He's clearly competing against Wire for the spot again this season, as per BB.com

Comment

• raphael120
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Night Train

When you're a fast, light rookie playing with old man Fletcher and hobbled Spikes, yeah you're going to be the better open field tackler because of your youth and speed. He played admirally, yes, for a 6th rounder. If he was a 2nd, 3rd rounder, you'd expect more though. He's getting a flyer last season because he played good ENOUGH and exceeded beyond a normally huge bust that 6th rounders usually are. But to say that he automatically is good enough to be a full time starter and be anything more than Jeff "I make no impact" Posey...I'm not sure.

My point is, I'm not happy with our LB depth and I think we need someone else brought in to give Ellison a run for his money. And if you think Coy Wire competing with him is giving him a run for his money...then please...tell me why do you think that?

Comment

• Devin
                          The Octagon
                          • Apr 2003

Depth id agree with, however I think Ellison will be just fine there.
                          http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• raphael120
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Devin
                            Depth id agree with, however I think Ellison will be just fine there.
                            Don't you think Ellison will have his plate full when he's working with (possibly) Youboty on his side, who will take his lumps being a starter for the first time, or even with Kiwaukee on that side who is no better than a nickel corner? That's what my origional post was about...sure Ellison might be good, but I think his side of the field will make up the weak spot of our defense because of its inexperience.

Some of you just want to shoot down my post and not even hear me out...hate it when people don't want to listen, shows close mindedness. Yet you want everyone to "trust in Marv". Why? "Because I said so!" Nice intelligent retort.

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by raphael120
                              Here is what our weak side of our defense looks like thus far:

RE: Schobel (awesome)
                              WLB: Keith Ellison or Coy Wire (The epic battle between crap and a turd)
                              RCB: Kiwi Thomas or Ashton Youboty (Big, looming question mark)
                              SS: Donte Whitner (solid...hopefully)

I am absolutley TERRIFIED that our right side of the defense is going to blow major CHUNKS this season. We have an unproven semi-rookie in Youboty manning the CB position, or a no big play impact guy in Kiwi Thomas.

At RE, I'm happy with Schobel, but also worried about the fact that he is not good at all on run-D, which means whoever is behind Schobel (Ellison/Wire and Thomas/Youboty) is going to be responsible for anyone running or passing to that side.

We have a "well he didnt stink it up, thank God" 6th round choice Ellison who is purportedly duking it out with Coy "I haven't done jack crap since my rookie season" Wire at WLB. I dont know what should scare me more, that Wire might actually beat our Ellison at this position, or that we just have those 2 guys playing for that starting position. Please Marv, get someone else in there that is not joe-schmo from Lackawanna High School UDFA who plays awesome flag football.

And I hope Whitner grows from last year, or we could be in deep doo-doo when it comes to our run D next year if teams exploit the obvious weakness on the right side of the Bills defense.

Like I've said before...I REALLY hope our offense is better than last year, because no one should be counting on the defense to be making as near big plays (INTs, FUM, good field position) as they did last year. You take away what Fletch and Clements did last year, and you lose 2 sacks, 7 INTs, 2 Def. TD, 23 Pass Def. between those two vets.

Meanwhile, if you look at what Ellison/Crowell and McGee gave us last year in terms of big plays: 3 sacks, 3 INTs, 0 Def. TDs, 17 pass def.

BTW...did anyone ever actually see that McGee had 0 sacks and 0 INTs last season? Thats pretty pathetic if you ask me...

Just some stats to think about....
                              Ellison is crap if you read Fantasy football rankings. That means in "fantasy" world, hes crap.

Of course, that would be using the well known measuring stick of the media making him a popular name. You see, popular name = star. Forget actually watching the games, you just have to watch the highlight reels and if the player in question doesnt make ESPN highlights, they must be crap.

Im sorry, but I think there are many unheralded players that are plenty good enough to start on teams that can and sometimes do win it all.

Are we short on star talent? yes. Does that mean what we have is all crap? no. I think Ellison is plenty good enough to start. I think hes a solid LB. Not a star, a solid LB.

The CB spot is a real issue. We have not replaced even a mediocre Clements, much less a Clements that can sometimes play like a star. We have down graded the spot.

Every team has losses every year. They also have gains in other spots. Its possible that Yobouty plays up to talent level and becomes a solid starter. The reverse is just as possible. We will have to just wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                              X