PDA

View Full Version : Afinogenov thinks he will be gone

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-20-2007, 02:00 PM
from WKBW-TV News Channel 7 (Jeff Ruso) last night on Sports

Sitting in his locker stall in the Sabres locker room he told reporters that he thinks that he will be gone (traded in this years entry draft). He said that he wants to stay with tears in his eyes but he can see the writing on the wall. "they're trying to keep Briere and Drury here" he said and I can understand that. Afinogenov who made 3,500,000 this season and he will make that same amount next season according to let'sgoSabres.com payroll page and the Sabres need that kind of money to resign Briere and Drury. Golisano also said that the #1 priority is to resign Briere and Drury to long term deals this summer. Afinogenov thanked the Sabres fans before he left the arena perhaps maybe for the last time.

Dr. Lecter
05-20-2007, 02:03 PM
I would rather have Max at 3.5 million than Briere at 6 million +.

casdhf
05-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I thought Max played well in game 5.

YardRat
05-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I would rather have Max at 3.5 million than Briere at 6 million +.

Surprisingly enough (coming from me, anyway) I agree. If it's an either/or decision, I'd keep Max. In all honesty, though, I'd let them both go to free up room to help keep Drury, Zubrus, and Vanek, and add a solid defensemen or two plus a couple of grinders.

I realize the money from Briere and Max can't accomplish that on it's own, but it's a pretty good start and there are some other higher salaried players that can be dropped and their position upgraded with new/different blood.

MTBillsFan
05-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I hope we resign Max. He woulda scored 30+ goals as well this year IF he had stayed healthy.

LABillsFan
05-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I really haven't been a fan of his, but his play after the benching really impressed me. It wasn't like last year where he was a no show or in a long slump, he came back strong and played hard. But his salary is a hinderence.

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I hope we resign Max. He woulda scored 30+ goals as well this year IF he had stayed healthy.he's signed thru next year

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I can think of alot of fat we can trim before Max is in danger. Max rebounded well after the benching. Its good that these players are looking over their shoulder, i feel many of them have become too comfortable.

chernobylwraiths
05-20-2007, 03:24 PM
The fans love Drury and want him above all else and want him signed. After him though, Max is the only guy on this team that causes people to rise in their seats when he has the puck. He has gotten progressively better every year. I also think that after the benching he has played well in the playoffs. I would rather keep him.

Ebenezer
05-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Max disappeared two years in a row during the playoffs. He is the prime example of where the Sabres need to improve.

:wave:

Dr. Lecter
05-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Max disappeared two years in a row during the playoffs. He is the prime example of where the Sabres need to improve.

He did not dissappear this year. He was the leading scorer in the Ottawa series.

chernobylwraiths
05-20-2007, 03:31 PM

That's your opinion. I thought he played fairly well in these playoffs and has showed he is willing to hit a little.

RockStar36
05-20-2007, 03:35 PM
He is very inconsistent but I'd rather keep him and dump Kotalik. I'm sick of him.

chernobylwraiths
05-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Kotalik reminds me of Michael Grosek.

I would keep him until the trade deadline next year though. He is very good on the shootout.

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 03:50 PM

I would keep him until the trade deadline next year though. He is very good on the shootout. Im done with him, lazy in his own end and just doesn't produce enough offensively. He reminds me of Satan, to keep other core players i'd kick him to the curve.

Ebenezer
05-20-2007, 03:51 PM

I would keep him until the trade deadline next year though. He is very good on the shootout.
agreed. if Briere heads out in FA and they get rid of Max then you need to keep some of the offense.

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 03:57 PM
We need Kotalik's salary space.Like the Biron Trade, the space is more important than the return

This year is a weak draft. I can see a team dealing some picks for him

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 04:00 PM
agreed. if Briere heads out in FA and they get rid of Max then you need to keep some of the offense. how is keeping Kotalik over Max an option? I must be missing something, but Max has been a far more valuble asset then this team the Kotalik in the regular season and playoffs. Max is worth closer to his 3.5 then kotalik is worth his 3 million. His speed is valuable to this team.

chernobylwraiths
05-20-2007, 04:01 PM
We need Kotalik's salary space.Like the Biron Trade, the space is more important than the return

This year is a weak draft. I can see a team dealing some picks for him

Maybe a first in 08? Maybe to Chicago or Columbus? :D

Ebenezer
05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
how is keeping Kotalik over Max an option? I must be missing something, but Max has been a far more valuble asset then this team the Kotalik in the regular season and playoffs. Max is worth closer to his 3.5 then kotalik is worth his 3 million. His speed is valuable to this team.
Max has more trade value.

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Max has more trade value. i would have to see the trade for max, but kotaliks cap space alone would be worth dumping off. Not much concerned with what we get back. Dump off a lazy player fill his spot with stafford, and use the cap space towards our's or outside freeagents imo.

Dr. Lecter
05-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Max has more trade value.

What we get in return is not the value. It is the cap space.

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 05:15 PM
What we get in return is not the value. It is the cap space. Thats why keep the better player and dump the 4th line lazy kotalik. Max i can argue is worth his cap space. Kotalik has a simular contract but is not worth it.

Don't Panic
05-20-2007, 07:51 PM
What we get in return is not the value. It is the cap space.

Draft picks are value.... I hate to see Max go, especially after how he played these last few weeks. He, Vanek and Roy were about the only bursts of energy we had this postseason and I'd love to see all three back. Realistically I realize that will be tough, though. There are going to be no easy decisions this year - that much is extremely clear. The Drury situation will have to work itself out before anything else becomes clear, but if we have to deal Max to keep Briere, so be it. I'll say this though... I'd rather see Max on this team than Kotalik any day.

Typ0
05-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I hope Max stays. We don't have a more exciting player on the team and he's all heart believe it or not.

Nighthawk
05-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Sign Ryan Smyth...this is the player who will make the Sabres better...not keeping Briere.

camelcowboy
05-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Sign Ryan Smyth...this is the player who will make the Sabres better...not keeping Briere. Wouldn't mind seeing briere stay, but if he goes i'd love to see Smyth, Hartnell,or Souray any would all add grit this team desperately needs.

Nighthawk
05-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing briere stay, but if he goes i'd love to see Smyth, Hartnell,or Souray any would all add grit this team desperately needs.

Heart & grit & character are the biggest needs for this team...talent is not an issue. I love the thought of having Smyth and Drury on this team, but they need to get Drury locked up ASAP! The Sabres need to wake up and see that they are not the best team in the league and they need to aggressively fill those missing parts. If this organization truly wants to win a Championship, then we will see it this offseason. My fear is they are so in love with the players on this team that they sign Briere and then handcuff us from addressing the more pressing needs. If they get Drury signed, then the worst thing they could do would be to sink 6 million into Briere.