I'm Greedy....I want BOTH Drury and Briere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

I'm Greedy....I want BOTH Drury and Briere!

Can it be done? After looking at the stats, I've come to the conclusion that Danny Briere wasn't that bad in the playoffs. Actually, he did pretty good overall. Hell, he led the team in points, assists, shots on goal, and even tied Drury with a +3 plus/minus rating. He had at least 1 point in 12 out of 16 games, and had more than 1 point in two games. The one thing that hurt him was the team leading 16 penalties.

Oh and one more thing. Yeah, he had 3 goals...but 2 of them were on the power play and 1 was a game winner! That's always good.

So in conclusion....let's hope that Regier/Golisano will do everything possible to keep both of them here for at least one more year, hopefully more. I'd hate to lose a guy like Briere and would definitely hate to see Drury go.

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Re: I'm Greedy....I want BOTH Drury and Briere!

Originally posted by Mikey82
    Can it be done? After looking at the stats, I've come to the conclusion that Danny Briere wasn't that bad in the playoffs. Actually, he did pretty good overall. Hell, he led the team in points, assists, shots on goal, and even tied Drury with a +3 plus/minus rating. He had at least 1 point in 12 out of 16 games, and had more than 1 point in two games. The one thing that hurt him was the team leading 16 penalties.

Oh and one more thing. Yeah, he had 3 goals...but 2 of them were on the power play and 1 was a game winner! That's always good.

So in conclusion....let's hope that Regier/Golisano will do everything possible to keep both of them here for at least one more year, hopefully more. I'd hate to lose a guy like Briere and would definitely hate to see Drury go.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/teams/...SCORING/yearly

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

I think people expect too much of Briere. He is what he is ... a small, finesse player. He won't be a physical force, nor should he. But he's a top 10 point producer who makes those around him better. Just because we need more physical players doesn't mean we should dump one of the best of the other kind.
      Look at the remaining teams .. Anaheim has McDonald, Detroit has Datsyuk, Ottawa has Spezza. You need a good playmaking center and then try to build a better team around that.
      If Briere demans too much, then he might price himself out, but past statements indicate he'd give us a hometown discount if we gave him a long-term deal. We should jump on that.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82

That is one of the big problem with stats. They don't always tell the whole story. Looking at the stats, it looks like Briere has had a very good playoffs. Watching the games, many have thought the opposite.

Comment

• camelcowboy
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
          I think people expect too much of Briere. He is what he is ... a small, finesse player. He won't be a physical force, nor should he. But he's a top 10 point producer who makes those around him better. Just because we need more physical players doesn't mean we should dump one of the best of the other kind.
          Look at the remaining teams .. Anaheim has McDonald, Detroit has Datsyuk, Ottawa has Spezza. You need a good playmaking center and then try to build a better team around that.
          If Briere demans too much, then he might price himself out, but past statements indicate he'd give us a hometown discount if we gave him a long-term deal. We should jump on that.
          Drury has shown he can do so much more. He can score, check, kill penalties we really need him. Briere doesn't do anything different then Connolly if healthy or Roy. I love Briere, don't get me wrong if they sign him ill be happy, but i can't see not signing drury if he wants to be here.

Comment

• RockStar36
            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
            • Sep 2004

If he is willing to take a hometown discount than it should be looked into. I'd like to keep Briere. I've just always thought that Drury was the top priority and the true captain of this team. The way he was diving down on the penalty kill to block shots is exactly what I've been talking about. He leads by example. That is why stats don't tell the whole story.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by camelcowboy
              Drury has shown he can do so much more. He can score, check, kill penalties we really need him. Briere doesn't do anything different then Connolly if healthy or Roy. I love Briere, don't get me wrong if they sign him ill be happy, but i can't see not signing drury if he wants to be here.
              I didn't say Drury shouldn't be first.

And Briere is a thousand times better than Roy. Connolly is one hit away from an ended career.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

And Briere is a thousand times better than Roy. Connolly is one hit away from an ended career.
                I have no trouble dealing Connolly away...as long as Drury is brought back and is the highest paid Sabre I have no trouble giving Briere a hometown discount to have him stay.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                  • Mar 2005

Im sorry if it appeared i was putting words in your mouth but my point is with the roster we have have now i don't see someone who could fill drury role effectively. I do think Connolly, Roy could fill most of Briere's role.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Great post!

Comment

Working...
                    X