PDA

View Full Version : Ellison's position?

patmoran2006
05-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I"ve been reading in a couple of threads recently that Ellison is going to be a "Fine weak side linebacker". I'm not hear to debate the merits of how good of a player he is/can be... I simply have a question.

I could've sworn I read/heard that Ellison is playing the strong side and Crowell the weak side. Is this true?

raphael120
05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I thought on BB.com he was playing the weak side...or so it said.

Bmax
05-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Ellison is a weak side lb ....He is best suited for that position... I still feel that the bills will bring in another experienced WLB before training camp begins....

Bryan

Devin
05-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Ive never once heard that. So im gonna say no.

Devin
05-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Negged.

Goobylal
05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Weakside LB.

http://www.buffalobills.com/depth_chart/index.html

HHURRICANE
05-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Being concerned about Ellison is an immediate neg? I'm concerned. He played well in spot duty but that doesn't mean squat. Tim Anderson played well in spot duty his rookie season.

Goobylal
05-20-2007, 07:55 PM
No he didn't. Anderson has always been a scrub.

HHURRICANE
05-20-2007, 08:05 PM
A proven vet challenging Ellison for the spot is alot different than Coy Wire.

Goobylal
05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
The Bills' brass love Ellison. He's a self-motivated guy who doesn't need an outside challenge to improve himself.

Scumbag College
05-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Ellison played solid near the end of the year. He was stellar vs. the Jets and the Fins. You gotta play the young players you drafted if you're getting rid of the older guys whom don't fit the new system, even if they're 6th round draft picks.

Coach Sal
05-20-2007, 11:52 PM
I"ve been reading in a couple of threads recently that Ellison is going to be a "Fine weak side linebacker". I'm not hear to debate the merits of how good of a player he is/can be... I simply have a question.

I could've sworn I read/heard that Ellison is playing the strong side and Crowell the weak side. Is this true?

You're right - several places reported this right after the draft. But right now, it looks like the other way around going into camp.

Honestly, I don't think anything's set in stone with the LBs. We'll just have to see how it sorts itself out in training camp. In the defense we run, there are a lot of interchangeable parts at LB. And this coaching staff isn't afraid to change them around if/when needed.

I believe Crowell played all three positions at one point last season.

jamze132
05-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Ellison has just about the same physical make-up of Cato June who also played in a Cover 2 style defense at the same position. Ellison has shown us nothing to doubt his abilities. He is quick and isn't on dumbass status. I say bring in a vet who knows the system and let them two battle it out. If he can't beat out a journeyman than he isn't as good as we thought. I think he will be fine though.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Ellison POTENTIALLY is like another Cato June. Or at least he's the same style of player

Goobylal
05-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I see Ellison as a poor man's Derrick Brooks. They have similar size and measureables. Except that Ellison is very (book) smart and Brooks not so much.

As for where Ellison will play, again the depth chart I linked had him at WLB, and that's where he started the latter part of last season, after Crowell went down (instead of putting Spikes at WLB, where he's played before and putting Ellison at SLB). But Crowell has been starting at WLB since the 4th game of the 2005 season up until he got hurt in the 11th game last season. And Ellison played SLB at the beginning of last season when Spikes went down, which could be more telling (i.e. the Bills didn't move Crowell to SLB).

So I guess what I'm saying is it's anyone's guess. We'll find out soon, when OTA's start.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I see Ellison as a poor man's Derrick Brooks. They have similar size and measureables. Except that Ellison is very (book) smart and Brooks not so much.
I dont see the comparison except for maybe size. I'd call Ellison a poor man's Cato June before Brooks.

Brooks was simply one of the most dominant players in the NFL, regardless of position. I dont see Ellison ever coming even close to ever approaching that. If anything, I'd call Crowell being closer to a poor man's Brooks than Ellison.

And for the record, I've had the opportunity to meet Derrick Brooks. He's one of the classiest people I've EVER met in my entire life. I'm not saying you were dissing Brooks and didn't take it as such; just saying that this is a class-act guy, not to mention a possible Hall of Fame LB.

Goobylal
05-21-2007, 09:35 AM
I've heard he's a class-act as well and he's HOF-worthy. And by saying "poor man's" I'm saying he's not at the same level. But I could see Ellison being an excellent player for the Bills.

Coach Sal
05-21-2007, 09:35 AM

Wow. That's a pretty big leap -- "poor man" or not. Brooks is one of the best LBs of the past twenty years.

I think Ellison has a long way to go and a lot of seasons to play before ever even being mentioned in the same breath as Derrick Brooks. Although it would be nice if that comparison happens some day.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Hey, even if he was a poor man's Cato June that would be good production from a 6th rounder.. Between Ellison and Wendling, the 6th round seems like a lucky number for us.