My next year's roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

My next year's roster

The cap will be raised to between $48 and $50 Million next season

Here's my roster & salaries- I want to keep Briere, Drury, and Zubris. It is quite an optimistic roster- I'm hoping the cap maxes out at $50 million. It leaves the Sabres ZERO flexibility at the trade deadline.

If the cap comes in at $48 million, I'm willing to depart with Max. If people want to keep Max- then lose Zubris. It will take 3-4 million to keep him.

I cut/did not re-sign/Traded Kotalik, Kalininn, and Hecht, Teppo, and Peters
    If Zuburis stays, he replaces Hecht. If he goes elsewhere, Hecht stays.

No fan of Spacek- but the contract makes it tough to get rid of him- and we will also need his veteran leadership when Teppo goes. In return- the Sabres do get a cheaper defenseman in a trade or FAcy.

One saving grace is that if Timmy gets hurt again- it gives us some cap space

RFA's Vanek, Roy, Paesch, Paille, get what I think are market priced deals

PLAYER 2007-08 salary

Drury, Chris C 7.000 Estimate
    Briere, Daniel C 6.000 Estimate
    Connolly, Tim C 3.000
    Gaustad, Paul C 0.750
    Roy, Derek C 1.500 Estimate
    Mair, Adam C 0.750 Estimate

Zubrus, Dainius R 3.000 Estimate
    Pominville, Jason R 0.925
    Stafford, Drew R 0.984
    Afinogenov, Maxim R 3.500

Paille, Dan L 0.850 Estimate
    MacArthur, Clarke L 0.625
    Vanek, Thomas L 4.000 Estimate

Spacek, Jaroslav D 3.475
    Lydman, Toni D 2.900
    Tallinder, Henrik D 2.500
    Campbell, Brian D 1.750
    Paetsch, Nathan D 1.000 Estimate
    Funk, Michael D 0.635
    Free Agent /Trade Guy 1.500 Estimate

Miller, Ryan G 2.667
    Conklin, Ty G 0.750 Estimate

TOTAL 50.061

Gone-

Kotalik, Ales R 2.50 Trade
    Kalinin, Dmitri D 2.25 Trade
    Numminen, Teppo D Gone

Hecht, Jochen C 2.35 Trade
    Peters, Andrew L 0.650 Gone
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: My next year's roster

I think they may try and upgrade Conklin in the off-season ... maybe?
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by casdhf
      I think they may try and upgrade Conklin in the off-season ... maybe?
      Nah- they really like him for some reason- but the possibility exists someone will try to sign him as a UFA

Comment

• camelcowboy
        • Mar 2005

Aaron miller's a freeagent, how about Souray instead of zubrus? Just a thought.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jan 2004

Let Conklin go, time to see what Dennis has even though I do like Conklin.

Comment

• LABillsFan
            • Aug 2002

Hamrlik is also available I believe.
            I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by camelcowboy
              Aaron miller's a freeagent, how about Souray instead of zubrus? Just a thought.
              Now I would like that to get Souray! Aaron Miller (Buffalo guy) isn't bad either bring him home.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                • May 2003

I am not very optimistic that either player will be back now. Of course, with Drury, who the hell knows what he is thinking. I won't be suprised if Zubrus, Drury, and Briere are not on the roster next year. I was never a big fan of Briere and I don't think he had a very good playoff, or at least he didn't earn his money in the playoffs. I won't be upset if he is gone. I love Chris Drury, and I know it is all rumors, but if his price tag goes into the $7 million per, I think the Sabres could be forced to pass on him. Then again, if what they say is true, they want him as the face of the franchise. Also, nobody knows if Drury will be blown away by another team, kind of the way McKee was. Zubrus will command at least $3-4 per so I can also see them letting him walk.

I also wouldn't be suprised if the team replaced them with players like Jason Blake, but I can see his salary being around $5 mil so who knows.

It is hard to tell what this team will do. It seemed like they were stretching themselves thing this year just to make the league cap. I don't think this team wants to do that. I cannot see them going to $50 million. I could be wrong, but I just can't see that figure here. Then again to Tom G, that might be nothing in the pocket book.

If they are going to let them walk, I hope they look to a little more of a rugged team. Players I would like them to look at are Darren McCarty and Scott Hartnell. I don't know to many of the unrestricted free agents yet, but I do remember hearing that those two are FAs. Also, not sure if he is, but if Darcy Tucker is a UFA, I don't care if I hate him, I wouln't mind seeing him in a Sabre uniform.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                  I am not very optimistic that either player will be back now. Of course, with Drury, who the hell knows what he is thinking. I won't be suprised if Zubrus, Drury, and Briere are not on the roster next year. I was never a big fan of Briere and I don't think he had a very good playoff, or at least he didn't earn his money in the playoffs. I won't be upset if he is gone. I love Chris Drury, and I know it is all rumors, but if his price tag goes into the $7 million per, I think the Sabres could be forced to pass on him. Then again, if what they say is true, they want him as the face of the franchise. Also, nobody knows if Drury will be blown away by another team, kind of the way McKee was. Zubrus will command at least $3-4 per so I can also see them letting him walk.

I also wouldn't be suprised if the team replaced them with players like Jason Blake, but I can see his salary being around $5 mil so who knows.

It is hard to tell what this team will do. It seemed like they were stretching themselves thing this year just to make the league cap. I don't think this team wants to do that. I cannot see them going to $50 million. I could be wrong, but I just can't see that figure here. Then again to Tom G, that might be nothing in the pocket book.

If they are going to let them walk, I hope they look to a little more of a rugged team. Players I would like them to look at are Darren McCarty and Scott Hartnell. I don't know to many of the unrestricted free agents yet, but I do remember hearing that those two are FAs. Also, not sure if he is, but if Darcy Tucker is a UFA, I don't care if I hate him, I wouln't mind seeing him in a Sabre uniform.
                  9 home playoff games and wire-to wire sellouts- I think they have plenty of money to go to the cap

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    9 home playoff games and wire-to wire sellouts- I think they have plenty of money to go to the cap
                    Like I said, I don't know where this team is money wise. I know it is easy for us to sit here and say they have the money, but we don't know how they want to go forward.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly

Im a fan of Hartnell sort of a dirty player, but talented and gritty. Smyth would be a solid addition but would cost the farm. Aaron Miller is gritty, so is Hamerik, Souray would be a solid addition but pricey as well.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Also- Last offseason teams were flush with cap space. Most clubs went into the strike making sure many of their contracts would be up after the strike if they lost a season.

Many teams had less than 10 guys under contract going into the 2005-2006 season.

What was supposedly the "richest free agency market" in history quickly turned into another free for all. Most clubs went on a discount sales spree- and many are again immersed in some bad contracts.

There aren't a lot of teams out there with huge cap space like last offseason. The $4 million Mckee deals won't be as prevalent. A lot of compeditive clubs will need the added cap expantion as bad as the sabres do just to keep their clubs together

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                          Also- Last offseason teams were flush with cap space. Most clubs went into the strike making sure many of their contracts would be up after the strike if they lost a season.

Many teams had less than 10 guys under contract going into the 2005-2006 season.

What was supposedly the "richest free agency market" in history quickly turned into another free for all. Most clubs went on a discount sales spree- and many are again immersed in some bad contracts.

There aren't a lot of teams out there with huge cap space like last offseason. The $4 million Mckee deals won't be as prevalent. A lot of compeditive clubs will need the added cap expantion as bad as the sabres do just to keep their clubs together
                          You know that is true. Teams are up against the cap this year. There are only a handful of teams that are not within $4 million of the cap at the time of the trading deadline. If the cap rises to $48 million it will give teams a little room, but not much.

Here is the teams that have significant room under the cap as of the trade deadline:

Team Cap Left
                          New Jersey $50.1M $1.5M over
                          Boston $48.1M $670,000 over
                          Philadelphia $46.5M $237,000 over (they dumped Forsberg so this numer is off)
                          Buffalo $45.2M $777,000 over
                          San Jose $44.4M $674,000 left
                          Toronto $44.3M $3,500
                          Colorado $43.8M $398,000
                          Chicago $43.8M $2.15M
                          Montreal $43.7M $274,000
                          Detroit $43.6M $1.39M
                          Dallas $43.5M $1.51M
                          Tampa Bay $43.4M $558,000
                          Vancouver $43.4M $800,000
                          Ottawa $43.2M $750,000
                          Calgary $43.1M $878,000
                          Minnesota $42.8M $12.6M
                          Anaheim $42.4M $3.82M
                          N.Y. Rangers $42M $3.1M
                          Phoenix $42M $3.57M
                          Atlanta $41.7M $2.44M
                          Los Angeles $41.6M $2.53M
                          Florida $41.5M $3.99M
                          Edmonton $41.2M $3.03M
                          Columbus $40.4M $4.09M
                          Carolina $40.3M $4.58M
                          Nashville $39.8M $4.2M
                          N.Y. Islanders $39.4M $4.6M
                          St. Louis $38.6M $5.85M
                          Pittsburgh $35.8M $11.5M
                          Washington $31.1M $15.7M

Good call Doz.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

If Pittsburgh was smart- instead of going after free agents- they would be wise to use their current cap space to tie up Crosby, Malkin, Stall, Fleury, and a few others really long term.

The way it works is that you average the contract over the length- so a player's salary might be smaller than his cap hit - or in some cases- larger than his cap hit.

If they gave their guys backloaded deals- it would push them up toward the cap limit now- but their actual cash payout would be small.

Down the road when they move into their new building and the cash flow is better-- their guys will be making much bigger salaries but they would count less toward the cap.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                              • Feb 2004

WOW get rid of Max and sign Briere and Drury....

From what I saw MAx showed up in the playoffs.....I think Dreury signs and Briere is gone he will get 6+ mill somewhere. I think we can sign Drury for 5 mill for 4 yr deal sign Vanek long now and get a forward that can hit..

We need some guys that want to hit when it comes playoff time bottom line...
                              GO Gators!!!!!!
                              GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X